Gerard Butler GALS

2014 Gerard Butler Birthday special: Top 5 box office successes of the actor

becozy

By India.com @indiacom |

November 13, 2014

Actor Gerard Butler was born on November 13, 1969, in Paisley in Renfrewshire, Scotland. He was the youngest of three children of Margaret and Edward Butler. Butler is from a Catholic family of Irish descent. Butler studied at St Mirin’s and St Margaret’s high school where he was head boy. Being a bright student, he earned good grades and won a place to study law at University of Glasgow. As a teen, he attended the Scottish Youth Theatre.

He was a trainee lawyer at Edinburgh after graduation. Due to his partying ways, he was considered unprofessional towards his work and was fired just a week before he qualified as a lawyer. Later, Butler went to London to fulfill his dream career of acting. He admitted, “When I started out, I’m not sure I was actually in it for the right reasons. I wanted very much to be famous.”

Butler started his career in acting with small roles in James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies and later, Russell Mulcahy’s Tale of the Mummy. He got his first breakthrough as the Hun in the American TV miniseries Attila.

Here are top 5 movies in Gerard Butler’s career that were a box office success:

The Phantom of the Opera (2004) (note from becozy: they used a non-Gerry Phantom pic! :doh: )

The British film was an adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s 1986 musical of the same name, which in turn is based on the French novel Le Fantôme de l’Opéra by Gaston Leroux. The film gained mixed reviews but it collected worldwide total box office of $158,225,796 and was the 6th most successful foreign film and 9th overall of the year. The film was widely appraised for Butler’s performance as phantom.

P.S. I Love You (2007)

The American drama film was based on the adaptation of 2004 novel of the same name. The film was directed by Richard LaGravenese and the screenplay by LaGravenese and Steven Rogers. The film in North America earned $6,481,221 and ranked number 6 position on its opening weekend.

300 (2007)

The American fantasy war film was based on the 1998 comic series of the same name. Both are fictionalisd retellings of the Battle of Thermopylae within the Persian Wars. Zack Snyder directed the film. 300 was a box office success, grossing over $450 million, with the film’s opening being the 24th largest in box office history at the time.

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

American action thriller film was directed by Antoine Fuqua, starring Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, and Morgan Freeman, with Angela Bassett, Robert Forster, Cole Hauser, Finley Jacobsen, Ashley Judd, Melissa Leo, Dylan McDermott, Radha Mitchell and Rick Yune in supporting roles. In 2013, two films released dealing with a terrorist attack on the White House, one being is Olympus Has Fallen and the other being White House Down. London Has Fallen is the sequel and it is in pre-production stage.

RocknRolla (2008)

The British crime film was at number 1 position in the UK box office in its first week of release. The film collected total gross of US$25,739,015 worldwide. The film stars Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson, Thandie Newton, Mark Strong, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, and Toby Kebbell. IGN reviewed with four out of five stars and said “[Guy Ritchie is] hardly re-inventing the wheel with this movie, but RocknRolla is nonetheless a comedy thriller that is every bit as accomplished as his early work, and without doubt a witty, adrenalin-fuelled blast from start to finish.”

With inputs from Wikipedia

By Shrikrishna Iyer Source

* Happy Birthday Gerard,Love you Alwaysand remember to continue to Dance as though on one is Watching,Enjoy ur special Day,.. and all 5 of your top movies listed is just part of my collections; I enjoy every movie you make, I am such a hugh fan who u are and what life means to you..