Gerard Butler GALS

Chanson:The CD

Swansong

Greetings to all my friends!

Posted Image

I am setting up this thread in order to give you *sneak peeks* of Nathan's gorgeous music for Chanson. Here is the first link to a sample of Orphan in Winter; the opening scene of our *movie*

More will follow!

Here it is: Chapter 1

Swan

Edited by Swansong

Stirring

Haunting

Beautiful

Addictive

I love it, it gave me goosebumps and then tears. I could visualize little Christine as she came to terms with her father's death and the beginning of her new life at the Paris opera. Brava, Nathan, Brava!!

Absolutely beautiful

I had a smile on my face, until it hit 2 minutes, 49 seconds.

Then I started to cry.

That is some beautiful work.

Huge hug for Nathan.

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif

Bethy

EDIT:

I wasn't going to say this..but I can't help it.

This piece of music makes me think of my Mother.

Thank you, Nathan.

Wow Bethy,

What can I say? I have always known that my son's music was evocative of the deeper things of the soul; that with his music, he paints pictures and dreams.

I simply typed up a synopsis of scenes for him, describing the setting; the ice and snow. I told him I wanted him to show through the music, Christine's devastation at losing her father.

Throughout the piece he has interwoven the melody of the aria I composed and will record, which will be the last track of the CD.

And wait until you hear what is coming; Waltz With Death, Immortal Lover, Firelight Through Diamonds.... and more.

I truly believe that my son should be doing this as a career. I can only pray God will make that possible.

Thank you for sharing your private thoughts, Bethy. It blesses me to know that my son's gift moves people.

Swan

Edited by Swansong

That was beautiful. I do hope that Nathan is encouraged to continue with his music because he has a special God-given talent. Thank you for sharing it with us, Swan.

Well today, Nathan begins work on the next track; Opera Ghost. I can't wait for this one, because this is where we first see the Phantom.... and where the Phantom first hears Christine singing!

It will be completely different from Orphan in Winter... and will include some pipe organ!

Oh, I can hardly stand it until he wakes up!

Swan

Edited by Swansong

Nathan basically roughed out the second track today, titled; The Ghost of Don Juan! Oh it is way cool! Creepy-cool pipe organ with some sound effects, strings, and then a passionate rendering of Don Juan, followed by this gorgeous lyrical segment when the Phantom hears the little girl, Christine singing for the first time. He will work on it some more on Sunday and add some other cool stuff..... This fantastic!

Swan

Nathan basically roughed out the second track today, titled; The Ghost of Don Juan! Oh it is way cool! Creepy-cool pipe organ with some sound effects, strings, and then a passionate rendering of Don Juan, followed by this gorgeous lyrical segment when the Phantom hears the little girl, Christine singing for the first time. He will work on it some more on Sunday and add some other cool stuff..... This fantastic!

Swan

Can't wait to hear more, tell Nathan his music is just so beautiful.

Peace and Love,

Anna

Nathan..his bein truly blessed..

As A sit an absorb..tha emotions...O his notes...it fill..ma soul..wi great..

Compation...an Sadness..(but in ah verra guid whey)

A lov music..tha touches yer..heart...so..deeply...it awmoist taks...yer breath ayewey...

Tha begin O tha composition...mynds ma O tears...in tha snow...

tha hiv bein..o'ver shadowed..by..tha footsteps O ah young childs steps...as she pondours...lost..an alone...

Lonlyness...confution...

Wha will her nichtmare..end??

An wha drakness..falls..tou..hide..tha Suns..hawp fae ah bitter tommarow.... it wis nae ah dream...but...reality...

He is goun...

she is alone...

This music...is verra...huntin...hipnatic...Beautifull...

full..O so..much....

Nathan..

A salute...Ye...

Well...Doun...well...doun..ma friend..

A feel..e'very..note..deep insiead ma Soul....

Posted Image

Gabriel...

Edited by Gabriel

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your interest.

For the past year, I have been writing a novel in progress, Chanson de L'ange; my own version of POTO. I have been posting it both here and on Gb.net, and I have hopes of getting the book published someday.

My son Nathan, who is 27 years old, has been seriously ill since the Fall of 2003. His illness has prevented him from working, and he has been home fighting to get well. Nathan, you see, is an aspiring film score composer, but this illness has prevented him from pursuing his dream. I thought I would give him a music project... just something to keep him hoping and dreaming for the future.

So I asked my son to compose a film score for my book, as if it were a film. I gave him a synopsis of certain keys scene or chapters from the book, and he composes music for those scenes, base on an aria have written. Also, I wanted to find some way to thank Gerry personally, for how he has inspired me, and knowing how much he loves evocative music.... I thought the CD would be a means of saying what mere words cannot.

We will have enough tracks, including the aria sung by me, for an entire CD! This CD will be sent to Gerry as a gift, but eventually, if we get enough interest from my readers, we will produce copies for the general public to purchase. When the CDs are available, I will let people know here on this thread.

Meanwhile, as a piece of music is completed, I am posting that link on the corresponding chapter or scenes of my book, both here and on Gb.net. So in effect.... my readers have a very special musical score to make the book come alive.

Here is the list of tracks that are to be included on the CD

1: Chanson de L'ange Overture

2: Orphan in Winter

3: The Ghost of Don Juan

4:The Bleeding Rose

5: Immortal Lover

6: Enchanted Mirror

7: Waltz With Death

8: Shattered Angel

9: The Inferno

10: Firelight Through Diamonds

11: Frost and Roses

12: Chanson de L'ange (the aria, with vocal sung by me)

I know this is a crazy idea... but but we have always done crazy and creative projects in our house! Anyhow... the CD and book are in progress!

Swan

Edited by Swansong

Hi Donna,

For the past year, I have been writing a novel in progress, Chanson de L'ange; my own version of POTO. I have been posting it both here and on Gb.net, and I have hopes of getting the book published someday.

My son Nathan, who is 27 years old, has been seriously ill since the Fall of 2003. His illness has prevented him from working, and he has been home fighting to get well. Nathan, you see, is an aspiring film score composer, but this illness has prevented him from pursuing his dream. I thought I would give him a music project... just something to keep him hoping and dreaming for the future.

So I asked my son to compose a film score for my book, as if it were a film. I gave him a synopsis of certain keys scene or chapters from the book, and he composes music for those scenes, base on an aria have written. Also, I wanted to find some way to thank Gerry personally, for how he has inspired me, and knowing how much he loves evocative music.... I thought the CD would be a means of saying what mere words cannot.

We will have enough tracks, including the aria sung by me, for an entire CD! This CD will be sent to Gerry as a gift, but eventually, if we get enough interest from my readers, we will produce copies for the general public to purchase. When the CDs are available, I will let people know here on this thread.

Meanwhile, as a piece of music is completed, I am posting that link on the corresponding chapter or scenes of my book, both here and on Gb.net. So in effect.... my readers have a very special musical score to make the book come alive.

I know this is a crazy idea... but but we have always done crazy and creative projects in our house! Anyhow... the CD and book are in progress!

Swan

Well, you can put me on a list for the CD. I would ove to have piece of your son's great work.

Swan, I so look forward to your posting of the next piece of Nathan's score...

glad to know, as you posted in SC today, that he's feeling a bit better and working on more!

:yippee:

Swan,

As others have been saying, Nathan's music is breathtaking. He is enormously talented. What a gift he has and what an incredible mom you are to give him a place to showcase his music.

I look forward to his next composition and plan on listening to this piece many times. Let us know when the CD becomes available.

I'm glad to hear that he is feeling a bit better these days.

:hugs:

Swan,

This music is absolutely beautiful and stirring! Great job Nathan! Can't wait to hear more!! I'm checking the thread hoping for additions very soon!

:hugs:

Songbird

Nathan began work on track 3 today, but he will not be posting track 2 for a bit. He says it's not ready; a few errors must be corrected and the piece needs a lot more mixing.

The piece he's working on today is called The Bleeding Rose, and it portrays the scene where four months following her father's death, Christine returns to the cemetery to visit her fathers grave, in order to finally tell him goodbye. It is Spring now, as she kneels in the grass beside the grave.

And then she hears the sound of an invisible solo violin... and believes that her father's "Angel" has returned. But of course it is the Phantom, who after seeing her through the mirror the first time, has become very fond of her. This is his first attempt at contacting her.

In his efforts to comfort the still grieving child, he pretends to be her father's ghost... but he unknowingly prevents Christine from ever letting go of her father, setting in motion a course of events that will lead them both down a twisting and angst-filled path.

Nathan has barely begun this one.... but you can "hear" the flowers and ivy growing in the music.

Again, I will post the new tracks when Nathan is ready.

Swan

Swan,

I love Nathan beautiful, wonderous music and look forward to hearing much more. I definitely want the CD, too, so put me on your list of buyers.

Your poem, The Bleeding Rose, which is a song in your novel, is one of my favorite pieces of your wonderful story, Chanson de L'ange. This song is where I became truly enraptured by your novel, and it sets the beautiful, poignant tone that your novel has achieved.

I know that Nathan and you did not plan on including any other songs on the CD, but I must say that from the first time I read The Bleeding Rose, I have longed to actually hear it sung. I hope some day you and Nathan might consider setting it to music, for I would dearly love to hear you sing it.

Linda

Well Linda, I do have a wee tune for this song, but my voice is all wrong for it. The Bleeding Rose needs a young girl's voice... but perhaps I might convince Nathan to use the melody for the violin.

Just for you Linda... here is the libretto:

The Bleeding Rose

by Bonnie Anne for Chanson de L'ange

“An angel sent from heaven

Came to a garden fair

Searching for a flower

To wreath her golden hair

A lily grew in splendor

Radiant and white,

Dazzling in the sun

Shimmering of light...

When a single blood red rose,

Caught the angel’s eye

Dark and mysterious

She could not pass it by

Crimson petals beckoned

Beautiful and rare

The angel chose the red rose

To wreath her golden hair.

But when she picked the blossom

She was pierced by a savage thorn

Blood poured from the flower

The angel’s flesh was torn..."

"She cast it to the ground

And crushed it with her toes

Choosing the pale white lily...

Instead of the bleeding rose.”

Hi Donna,

Swan

Well, as sometimes happens in the creative process, Nathan and I have made some changes in the ordering of tracks, because what we have found, is that we cannot stick so closely to the story chapter by chapter. So in some cases, 2 or more "chapters" have been melded together in a single track.

Here is the list of tracks at this point:

1: Orphan in Winter

2: The Ghost of Don Juan

3: The Bleeding Rose

4: Immortal Lover

5: Waltz With Death

6: Shattered Angel

7:The Inferno

8: Firelight Through Diamonds

9: Frost and Roses

10: Chanson de L'ange (Aria)

The music Nathan did today is stunning! That is all I can say.

Swan

Just a wee update about the progress of our CD. We are on a very tight schedule now, to get as many tracks on this CD for Gerry as we can.... but he may not get all the tracks on this first CD. For one thing, I have requested from Nathan that we do an arrangement and recording of The Bleeding Rose. Even though my voice is too mature for the song, I really want it to be included, and will do my best vocally. I doubt there is time to do this until after Vegas.

Nathan has decided that he does not want to post links to the complete tracks on the board.... but when he has them ready... he will post segments from each track to be included.

Bill and I spoke last night about this project, and from the PMs and other responses I have recieved here and on other Gerry sites.... it looks like we will definitely produce the CD for sale.... sometime after Vegas.

Swan

Edited by Swansong