Gerard Butler GALS

Dear Frankie-Merged Threads-

Katelyn D

Childern aw verra..intun..wi whit gaes on in tha warld...

Wi as adult's ah tynes..donae giv thaim..tha credit..fae it..

A think...Frankie..realized..it verra earlyon...but juist didnae sae..anoything tae his Mum..acouse..he...Juist lik is Mum..wanted sae..muich..tae hiv tha bein reality..

He wis ah chap..ah lip readin...an e'in thou ye didnae see...aw tha tyne..whit wis gaein on...Frankie...haedtae hiv knawn...he juist wanted validation...O whit is felt..aw alang....

Tha is whey...he spier sae mony quiery..aboot..his daddy...

he wis ah wee smairt ladd...

hou coud he nae knaw..

But Elizabeth...an Frankie...felt..lov..an compation fae tha verra frist tyne an...didnae want tae let tha feelin gae...e'in thou it wis juist fae ah wee while...it wis nice...

bein..wanted...lik..e'very..child..want tae be wanted bi his Daddy...lik e'very wife langs..tae be loved bi her husband...

Juist Ma Thouht's on tha maitter..

Cheers...

Gabriel..

Edited by Gabriel

I agree with Gabriel that IMO, Frankie knew The Stranger wasn't his father early on. There was so much emphasis placed on Frankie being a champion lip reader. It would have been so easy for him to have seen his mother and grandmother discussing the situation over the years. The other reason I think it's true is when The Stranger gives him the book. His first question to his mom, "How did he know?" makes me think he already knew. He had been writing to his daddy and had discussed his love of sealife. Why would he be surprised that his daddy knew about it? But someone other than his da might not be expected to know that.

That hug that he gives The Stranger, to me, was his way of expressing that here, finally, was a man who cared enough about him to know what was important to him and be there for him.

This movie was so incredible to me in so many ways. Gerry's performance was absolutely magnificent. So subtle and heartbreaking. The artistic qualities of this film blow me away from the incredible lighting, to the camera angles used, to the overall "quietness" of the film. So much was unspoken and left to our imagination. I could go on forever about how this film touched me.

Leslie, I hope you see it again and again. It is so worth it.

Thanks to you both. I had only rented it, but I'm going to buy it. I do think it's one of those movies that needs to be watched again and again, to understand it more and to enjoy the quiet stillness of it.

Now that you mention Frankie saying "how did he know?" I get it that he knew the man was a stranger. It's one of those things that you believe what you want (as a viewer, I believed that Frankie thought it was his father) until the end when it all shifts.

Definitely a film worth owning....

I don't think I thought about whether he knew early on or not until I had seen it at least 3 times. I remember gasping in the theater when Lizzie read Frankie's letter at the end and you realized that he knew. I guess I just kept working backwards until the moment seemed clear to me.

I loved Frankie's attempts at matchmaking in this movie. Wanting the three of them to go out together the next day, leaving the two of them standing together eating the candy at the railing, etc. What a cutie pie.

I love all the looks that pass between everyone on different occasions. Absolutely priceless. Of course, that took me awhile to see too since the first couple of times, I couldn't peel my eyes off of Gerry.

Hey Leslie

Just in case you still wondered I heard on the extra clips I think? that the moment Frankie realsied the stranger wasn't his Da was when he took him to the see the ship which is why Frankie didn't go aboard.

It's actually not mentioned in the film at all but I think the director mentioned that moment as his realisation!!

The "how did he know?" bit is a great point DM and I didn't cop it till the end when I watched it first, that Frankie knew the stranger wasn't his da!

Sweet film

Hi,

I have had this discussion with a friend of mine many times. Just when did Frankie Know?

Reading this has been really helpful, now I am thinking about it very differently.

I don't think I've ever been so touched by movie. The tone, the beautiful way it was filmed, the subtleties, the tenderness, the gentle sweet concern, the longing and the hope, the beauty of the characters as they so remarkabley weaved their way in and around each others' lives.

I was truly caught by surprise. It quietly stirred my soul, my spirit, the very heart of me. Wrapped it self around me like a warm August breeze that too soon passed, leaving me wanting for more.

No matter how many times I watch, I'm never ready to say good-bye. I need so much more time with those characters.

And of course the one I long for most is that magnificent Stranger.

• 2 weeks later...

This was one of the Gerry movies i bought before i even saw it or knew what it was about and i am so glad i did. It has become one of my favorite movies. Although i cried like a baby through most of it.

I think Frankie knew early on that the stranger was'nt his father-maybe like others believe when the stranger took Frankie to see the ship.

I like that we don't really know when he found out-it's part of the subtle charm of the whole story.

:hmm2:

I agree with you that a part of the charm of this wonderful movie is that so much is left to interpretation. I think we can all pick up on little things throughout and come to our own conclusions.

I continue to be mesmerized by this movie. So delicate in the handling of everyone's relationship's with each other. So much was left unsaid but covered in a look or just the subtle change of facial expression.

The soundtrack, as well, is stunning. When I'm having a hard time falling asleep, I'll play it thru headphones and I just drift off. The only thing that would make it more perfect is hearing Gerry's voice. But then, I'd probably NEVER go to sleep. :inlove:

For those who want to know - I asked Andrea Gibb (screenwriter) that question in Glasgow. She loves the fact that the answer is left up to each individual's imagination to decide, that the film purposely never answers it for you. But when asked what SHE thought when writing it her answer was that she felt Frankie always knew.

Dear Frankie is my favorite movie. Not just my favorite GERRY movie but my favorite movie. It is a piece of moving art, the music, the color pallet of the film, the understated yet emotionally powerful performances by all the actors, it all comes together to form a wee masterpiece.

If it's possible to agree 150%, then I do!

I like that image - A piece of moving art.

I try to get people to watch it even if just for it's beauty. I haven't had one person yet not enjoy it completely. Actually, only one person didn't watch it all the way thru but that was the dad of a friend of mine who wasn't willing to understand the accents. (My friend said he's always like that.)

I hope when the time comes for more people to know who Gerry is *gulp*, that Dear Frankie gets more recognition than it has gotten. It really is an amazing work. All those who worked on it should realize how incredible it really is.

I agree with Gabriel that IMO, Frankie knew The Stranger wasn't his father early on. There was so much emphasis placed on Frankie being a champion lip reader. It would have been so easy for him to have seen his mother and grandmother discussing the situation over the years. The other reason I think it's true is when The Stranger gives him the book. His first question to his mom, "How did he know?" makes me think he already knew. He had been writing to his daddy and had discussed his love of sealife. Why would he be surprised that his daddy knew about it? But someone other than his da might not be expected to know that.

That hug that he gives The Stranger, to me, was his way of expressing that here, finally, was a man who cared enough about him to know what was important to him and be there for him.

This movie was so incredible to me in so many ways. Gerry's performance was absolutely magnificent. So subtle and heartbreaking. The artistic qualities of this film blow me away from the incredible lighting, to the camera angles used, to the overall "quietness" of the film. So much was unspoken and left to our imagination. I could go on forever about how this film touched me.

Leslie, I hope you see it again and again. It is so worth it.

Posted Image - with all of that.

Lizzie says to the teacher that there is nothing wrong with his brain... and that's what convinces me most of him knowing all along that it is his mum who's writing the letters. I'm sure he can recognize her handwriting! Then finally the big change of course from south of the equator to Scotland in a couple of days... He just knew that the man couln't be his dad but HE WANTED HIM TO BE!

I just love this movie so much... GB says in an interview that it makes you cry but that you leave the cinema with a smiley on your face and an uplifted feeling in your heart and he's just so right! The story, the characters, the setting, the light, the music... the whole package goes straight to your heart and stays there. :wub:

stella

Edited by stella