Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Trueword

Gerry in Negotiations to Star in "Priest"

I was just browsing the Yahoo News and came across this story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/people_nm/priest_dc_1

The movie is based on a comic book and is about a warrior priest who hunts down vampires. It's kind of nice to see him be on the other side of a vampire story for once.

I forgot to add that filming would begin October 1.

Edited by Lady Trueword

WOW.... this is interesting, in light of the fact that TR was set to film in the fall... if I remember correctly.

As for the role in "Priest" itself.... it sure seems like comic books and graphic novels are providing a lot of material for films.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of all this. It is very exciting to stand in the sidelines and watch Gerry's star rise!!!

Swan

Gerard Butler is Screen Gems' Priest

Source: Variety, The Hollywood Reporter June 26, 2006

Gerard Butler is in talks to star in Screen Gems horror movie Priest, being directed by The Amityville Horror helmer Andrew Douglas.

Michael De Luca, Sam Raimi, Josh Donen and Mitchell Peck are producing, with filming scheduled to begin October 1 in Mexico.

Cory Goodman script, based on Tokyopop's graphic novel created by Min-Woo Hyung, is a vampire Western. A warrior priest disobeys church law by teaming with a sheriff and a priestess to track down a band of renegade vampires who have kidnapped his niece.

Newcomer Steven Strait, who recently wrapped Screen Gems' horror thriller The Covenant and is filming Roland Emmerich's 10,000 B.C., is in talks to co-star as the sheriff.

Butler, who starred as the Phantom in Joel Schumacher's big screen adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera next stars in Warner Bros.' 300, written and directed by Zack Snyder. He recently wrapped Butterfly on a Wheel with Pierce Brosnan and Maria Bello.

Here's another one I just received in a Google Alert:

Scottish actor goes from "Phantom" to vampires

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:49am ETPosted Image

People News

By Tatiana Siegel and Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Scottish-born actor Gerard Butler, who haunted an opera house in 2004 and battled a monster named Grendel last year, is in negotiations to star in a new film as a warrior priest who hunts down vampires.

Filmmaker Andrew Douglas, who cut his teeth on last year's remake of "The Amityville Horror, has signed on to direct the Screen Gems project titled "Priest," a post-apocalyptic horror western based on a comic book by Min-Woo Hyung.

Sony Pictures will distribute the film, which is scheduled to start production October 1 in Mexico.

The story centers on a warrior priest (Butler) who disobeys church law by teaming with a young sheriff and a priestess to track down a band of renegade vampires who have kidnapped the priest's niece.

Newcomer Steven Strait, who recently wrapped Screen Gems' horror thriller "The Covenant" and is filming Roland Emmerich's "10,000 B.C.," is in talks to co-star as the sheriff.

Development of the film has raised eyebrows as Sony now has two similar high-profile projects under its corporate umbrella.

Columbia Pictures recently gave the OK for production to begin on the comic book-based vampire movie "30 Days of Night," starring Josh Hartnett, with shooting set to begin in early August in New Zealand.

Butler, who played the title role in "The Phantom of the Opera" and starred as the medieval warrior in 2005's "Beowulf & Grendel," next stars in Warner Bros. Pictures' "300" and recently wrapped "Butterfly on a Wheel."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Edited by Larke

So Gerry's playing a priest. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: Sorry, just the thought makes

me lmao. My parish priest growing up was Father Gerry, but he didn't look anything like this.---> :leo::lol:

Since it's based on a comic book, I bet Gerry's priest takes his chastity vows lightly. :cunning: :ohbaby2:

Merged Threads...Priest > Gerry in a New flik

Yea! Gerry in a Sam Rami movie! I LOVE horror movies!

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Scottish-born actor Gerard Butler, who haunted an opera house in 2004 and battled a monster named Grendel last year, is in negotiations to star in a new film as a warrior priest who hunts down vampires.

Filmmaker Andrew Douglas, who cut his teeth on last year's remake of "The Amityville Horror, has signed on to direct the Screen Gems project titled "Priest," a post-apocalyptic horror western based on a comic book by Min-Woo Hyung.

Sony Pictures will distribute the film, which is scheduled to start production October 1 in Mexico.

The story centers on a warrior priest (Butler) who disobeys church law by teaming with a young sheriff and a priestess to track down a band of renegade vampires who have kidnapped the priest's niece.

Newcomer Steven Strait, who recently wrapped Screen Gems' horror thriller "The Covenant" and is filming Roland Emmerich's "10,000 B.C.," is in talks to co-star as the sheriff.

Development of the film has raised eyebrows as Sony now has two similar high-profile projects under its corporate umbrella.

Columbia Pictures recently gave the OK for production to begin on the comic book-based vampire movie "30 Days of Night," starring Josh Hartnett, with shooting set to begin in early August in New Zealand.

Butler, who played the title role in "The Phantom of the Opera" and starred as the medieval warrior in 2005's "Beowulf & Grendel," next stars in Warner Bros. Pictures' "300" and recently wrapped "Butterfly on a Wheel."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

hmmm. I wonder, since it's based on a comic book..and he's the hero...will he wear tights? That would make my day lol...most likely not, but one can always dream, right? ::D: :confused:

I'm still hoping for tights...

Yea! Gerry in a Sam Rami movie! I LOVE horror movies!

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

I wish Gerry to get this role. He would be brilliant in it.

I wish Gerry luck in getting this role. It would be interesting to see ex-Dracula playing priest-vampire slayer.

Woohoo, I got the new status!

Edited by Amazon

Am I the only one not excited about this kind of role for Gerry? Roles like this are just not high caliber. Yuch!!!!!!!

No, you're not alone in that, Adoring. I hope it's a better role than it sounds.

But, it is always interesting to see what Gerry will bring to a role no matter what the movie is. I'm happy to see him getting whatever roles picque his interest. I'm sure he will find a way to make it fantastic. He brings such a depth to everything he does.

I fall into the "not excited about this role" group of fans. Even 300 is not my cup of tea. I will support The Gerry in all of his movies, but it seems to me that he has a direction for his career that I cannot say I follow. What about a romantic comedy! PRIEST does not sound like a role that will have The Gerry in a steamy love scene either. The director is inexperienced, and may be one more movie that I will never see on the big screen. I respect Gerry as an actor, and support his career, but must say I am less than thrilled.

Am I the only one not excited about this kind of role for Gerry? Roles like this are just not high caliber. Yuch!!!!!!!

I definitely have mixed feelings about this news, too. On the one hand, I'm a sucker (pardon the pun) for a well done vampire movie or book. I loved Dracula 2000. On the other hand, he's been there, done that, even if this time he wouldn't be the vampire. I would think having TWO vampire movies on one's resume might be a bit...LIMITING...when negotiating for other parts. Also, vampire movies are so very seldom done well. They are too often pure schlock and that doesn't help one up the ladder, either.

Frankly, I was very much looking forward to the Terese Raquin thing...it sounds like a) a SERIOUS film and b) a juicy bad boy part that I'd love to see Gerry sink his teeth into (oops, there's that pun again). THIS seems like it would be in direct conflict with the filming of TR, unless that's been put on hold.

At any rate, I would love to see more people take Gerry seriously as an actor, and I'm not sure Priest is a step in that direction. :confused: But I'll try to stay open minded about it all, and see how it comes down.

You know we're gonna love him, regardless!

:whome2:

Yeah, YOU, Gerry! Friend or Phantom, King or Vampire...we WILL love you!

Marcia

Thanks for the heads up Lady Trueword! :thankyou:

Being an avid spooky movie nut I will love this movie!

Who knows really what Gerry has going on.

To me everything is just a rumor until I see the movie.

Cheers!

This is an interesting movie choice for Gerry:

- Gerry's character is going to die in the movie (probably no surprises here, as this has now become very traditional for most of his roles)

- Gerry's character is not going to get any girls (as he's playing a priest), so no romantic scenes, no kisses or snogs (this is probably very unusual for characters he has played so far)

- Gerry's character is going to have long flowing hair (although white in colour), if the movie-making people are going to stick to the graphic novel, like in 300.

I'll be avidly looking forward to any new developments and updates. ::D:

:bonk::bonk: Please don't get me wrong. I know that Gerry is playing roles that should get him noticed. But PLEASE how about a comedy to show off your great sense of humor, or a romance to show off the side we GALS see in you. My mom who isn't even a big fan of Gerry's, loved him in DEAR FRANKIE, she even said he show's great promise in being a great actor. You cannot tell me he hasn't been offered something along the way's of lighter script's.

Aw well I can only hope and pray that they will remake It Happened One Night and he will star in Clark Gables role. :bouncydrool3:

:hearts:

:hugs: Ladysweethome

Awwww... He's gonna be a vampire hunter? Shucks. I prefer him as a vampire.

Ah, well, yes...

he addressed the Romantic Comedy bit in Vegas...

he wants to choose the 'right' role...

and TPTB don't know what Gerry and his representation know....he's got The Juice...Gerry Juice! Posted Image

So we can be sure he's looking for diversified roles...he knows what his fans want! Hopefully the

Ones Who Make The Decisions out there in Movie Land will catch on to Gerry Juice. :dance:

It will be interesting to see if this 'scoop' turns out to be fact!

I fall into the "not excited about this role" group of fans. Even 300 is not my cup of tea. I will support The Gerry in all of his movies, but it seems to me that he has a direction for his career that I cannot say I follow. What about a romantic comedy! PRIEST does not sound like a role that will have The Gerry in a steamy love scene either. The director is inexperienced, and may be one more movie that I will never see on the big screen. I respect Gerry as an actor, and support his career, but must say I am less than thrilled.

Now, while this does not sound like my specific dish of tea either, I would *far* rather see Gerry in this type of role than a fluffy romantic comedy.

Different strokes and all of that ...

Now, while this does not sound like my specific dish of tea either, I would *far* rather see Gerry in this type of role than a fluffy romantic comedy.

I'm with you. I think of Matthew Mc. when I think of romantic comedies. Not that I don't think Gerry can do it. And I'm all for more snog (and bedroom) scenes...but I like him in the darker more serious stuff. Still, I won't pass up ANY movie that Gerry is in!!

:bonk:

So Gerry's playing a priest. Sorry, just the thought makes me lmao. Since it's based on a comic book, I bet Gerry's priest takes his chastity vows lightly. :cunning: :ohbaby2:

Exactly what I was thinking. Who cast Gerry as a priest???? Makes me have thoughts that send me straight to hell in a handbasket.....

I would *far* rather see Gerry in this type of role than a fluffy romantic comedy.

Abso-friggin-lutely. I'm STOKED about this. Sure, it's not the usual. I think it's a bit Gerry-goes-cult-flick. I was thinking how great he'd be in a Western (despite the fact that I pretty much despise them), and how much I wanted to see a good-vs-evil flick again. It just sounds like it would be SOOOO much fun to film, and I think he could use a bit of destressing. I LOVED D2K, so it's right up my alley. I'll admit that it doesn't sound like a mainstream, fame-inducing sort of movie (but then again, Therese Raquin doesn't either, and I'm glad he's not going for the lame-o stuff just for the face-recognition aspect of it), but I love the idea. Personally I just can't stand the idea of him in a romantic comedy. Sure, we'd get some romance. But he's SOOO much better when he's showing his depth. Plus there's something insanely sexy about dark and dangerous...

Just one question...where does a girl sign up to be the priestess in all this?

Jen

It sounds a bit "Dusk Before Dawn" to me. Wasn't Harvel Keitel a priest fighting the vampires w/George Clooney? Hum.... I'm sorry, but I fall into the category of not very excited as well. Posted Image I don't know. I'm still excited about the RomCom and TR what is up with these? Oh well, I will support anything he chooses. I'm sure he knows what he's doing or at least I hope he does. Maybe this is why he's growing his hair out. I do like the longer hair. :pant:

Cassie

Guest greyeyegoddess

I love the Raimi family! Very talented! With Sam comes Bruce Campbell or Ted Raimi or even Lucy Lawless at times (see Spiderman, The Grudge or The Ring). Big fan of Sam movies.

A priest, huh? :cunning:

How interesting that he once played a vampire and with hope, he'll be hunting vampires in his next role.

Speaking of vampires, anyone see the ads for Blade, the series?

And speaking of ads, has anyone seen the new Best Western ads with the guy who attends all the Scottish games?

~alice