Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry in Negotiations to Star in "Priest"

Well, I mentioned it to my 18 year old son, who likes Gerry...

and he was so excited! He rambled on about the storyline...

Gerry...B&G, 300, and now Priest....becoming a College Guy's best actor...

**sigh** c'mon...we gotta get the Gerry Juice word out...we need a romantic anything! ::D:

Happy for us though, that we'll have more Big Screen Gerry in our futures...and more DVD's...

At least Gerry's getting offered hi-visibility roles :fans:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just browsing the news last night and decided to type Gerry's name in to see if anything came up. I was surprised when this article came up.

Personally, I didn't think Gerry would go for this kind of movie again. I hope he doesn't get typecast as the comic book action guy.

I agree that he needs to be in a romantic comedy, something sweet like Return to Me or Sleepless in Seattle or something.

I was just browsing the news last night and decided to type Gerry's name in to see if anything came up. I was surprised when this article came up.

Personally, I didn't think Gerry would go for this kind of movie again. I hope he doesn't get typecast as the comic book action guy.

I agree that he needs to be in a romantic comedy, something sweet like Return to Me or Sleepless in Seattle or something.

I think that Gerry is being really particular about what roles he takes, frankly.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I think don't go for "sweet" movies like what you describe. Gerry has far more depth as an actor than Tom Hanks will ever dream of, if you ask me (Hanks just plays himself in everything), and really has a lot to offer to the darker, more complex roles that are out there. Not every man is cut out to be Rock Hudson (who was famous for his romantic comedies); Viggo Mortensen isn't a romantic comedy kind of guy, either, if you ask me ... and he has played a huge variety of roles without being stereotyped.

Yes, Gerry makes a great romantic leading man (e.g., "Timeline" or "Dear Frankie") ... but I just don't see him as adequately "fluffy" to do romantic comedy (and I'm grateful).

**sigh** c'mon...we gotta get the Gerry Juice word out...we need a romantic anything! ::D:

Happy for us though, that we'll have more Big Screen Gerry in our futures...and more DVD's...

Priest sounds OK to me but,

:heat: Gerard Butlers name and romantic in one sentence! Oh Mama send for the Fire Department!

:ohbaby2:

Anna

Priest sounds OK to me but,

:heat: Gerard Butlers name and romantic in one sentence! Oh Mama send for the Fire Department!

:ohbaby2:

So what happens to TR? Does anyone know?

Anna

I agree with you Fiona... I think Gerry's depth as an actor is best showcased in these meaty dramatic roles. I was reading on another board, that the character development of this graphic novel is very rich and layered... and after reading more about the plot, it sounds very intriguing for Gerry.

I think Gerry has a TON of natural humor that runs through him when he's just being Gerry... but I am not so sure a typically scripted romantic comedy would be a good fit for him. I would like to see him in a drama that has elements of steamy romance and some humor... but I almost feel he would be *confined* so to speak, in the romantic comedy genre, produced by Hollywood.

He did say in Vegas, that he is interested in a romantic comedy... but that he won't take just any project. He also indicated that there were some great possibilities coming up... so one wonders if Priest isn't one of those.

The man was a lawyer at one time, and though he can act goofy and self effacing at times, he is brilliant. I am starting to trust his choices, when it comes to his career... and if he truly wants this film, I hope the negotiations move in his favor.

Swan

Last night I read at least 6 different announcements about Gerry and "The Priest" and I may be in the minority when I say that I think this isn't a good career move, AT THIS TIME.

Why?

Because he's already done the sci-fi, weird, vampy stuff, timewarping, back-in-time, etc., genres.

I was SO hoping that Gerry would start taking on contemporary fims that had no gimmicks, but just excellent scripts and storylines.

Gerry is beyond an actor - he's an interpreter, a story-teller and a creator of persons, so I would so love to see him take on a role that only requires him to embody that character, without any "trappings" as to era, time or place.

Sorta like "Butterfly on a Wheel".

Like" Dear Frankie."

I know that Gerry is a thoughtful man regarding his work, but he may get type-cast if many of his future roles are like Attila, Phantom, Beowulf, Dracula, Creedy, Terry, Marek, etc.

OTOH, he may be trying to get the attention of other age groups of movie goers. :confused:

Edited by tilzey

I think that Gerry is being really particular about what roles he takes, frankly.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I think don't go for "sweet" movies like what you describe. Gerry has far more depth as an actor than Tom Hanks will ever dream of, if you ask me (Hanks just plays himself in everything), and really has a lot to offer to the darker, more complex roles that are out there. Not every man is cut out to be Rock Hudson (who was famous for his romantic comedies); Viggo Mortensen isn't a romantic comedy kind of guy, either, if you ask me ... and he has played a huge variety of roles without being stereotyped.

Yes, Gerry makes a great romantic leading man (e.g., "Timeline" or "Dear Frankie") ... but I just don't see him as adequately "fluffy" to do romantic comedy (and I'm grateful).

Wow, I couldn't disagree more, I'm afraid. I think Gerry is perfect for light comedy, in addition to drama. He is naturally funny and witty, and could carry a WELL-WRITTEN comedy ably, I believe. The key words being WELL WRITTEN. There's a world of difference between Sleepless in Seattle and Breakfast at Porky's, after all. In my opinion, which admittedly carries very little weight, he is capable of a much broader range of acting styles than anyone seems to be willing to give him credit for. He can do rage, he can do tender, he can do sexy, he can do action, he can do supernatural and comic book heroes. I'd be willing to bet he can do romantic comedy, as well, and do it much, much better than many who are getting away with it right now. (A certain Mathew comes to mind.)

As for Tom Hanks, I have never, ever considered him less than a very fine actor. I don't see him playing himself over and over again at all. Not the man who wasted away from aids and died tragically but bravely in Philadelphia, who bantered sweetly and gently with Meg Ryan in several turns, and who carried the entire movie "Cast Away" brilliantly, and who did a very dark turn in Road to Perdition. He may play the same sort of guy from one romantic comedy to another, but his range is much greater than that. He can do drama quite well when he wants to. Again, just my opinion, but I think he is a wonderful actor.

I hope with all my heart that Gerry gets the opportunity to play EVERY kind of film role during his career. Something for each of us that way. It would be a shame to see him only playing the same kinds of roles over and over again. I vote for letting him branch out and make the most of his talent in all the various ways he can. That way, we fans can have him JUST the way we like him...tragic, psychotic, romantic, dashing, heroic, and even funny.

:hugsandsnogs:

Marcia

It seems to me Gerry may be making an attempt to broaden his fan base. He made Attila, Dracula, etc., but they were "beginner" movies. So far not many people have seen any of this work. BOAW will appeal to a broad base and the Priest role will introduce him to many young people who had absolutely no interest in POTO, Dear Frankie, etc.

This could be a great movie, at this point we really don't know what their plans are for the characters and since every actor brings themselves into the role, we can certainly hope to see some good Gerry here, we'll at least get to SEE it, that's a big improvement.

Love ya, Gerry

I fall into the "not excited about this role" group of fans. Even 300 is not my cup of tea. I will support The Gerry in all of his movies, but it seems to me that he has a direction for his career that I cannot say I follow. What about a romantic comedy! PRIEST does not sound like a role that will have The Gerry in a steamy love scene either. The director is inexperienced, and may be one more movie that I will never see on the big screen. I respect Gerry as an actor, and support his career, but must say I am less than thrilled.

I, too, wasn't thrilled to read about the storyline of "The Priest" and responded such in another thread on the same subject.

I wish that he'd do drama/comedy/romantic set in contemporary times so that only his acting - and his gorgeousness - would be the focus, instead of yet another fantasy genre.

Maybe that's why I love "The Jury" and "Dear Frankie" second only to POTO.

Just my opinion :wave:

As for Tom Hanks, I have never, ever considered him less than a very fine actor. I don't see him playing himself over and over again at all. Not the man who wasted away from aids and died tragically but bravely in Philadelphia, who bantered sweetly and gently with Meg Ryan in several turns, and who carried the entire movie "Cast Away" brilliantly, and who did a very dark turn in Road to Perdition. He may play the same sort of guy from one romantic comedy to another, but his range is much greater than that. He can do drama quite well when he wants to. Again, just my opinion, but I think he is a wonderful actor.

As always, opinions will differ. However, whenever I see Tom Hanks in *anything,* I see the same portrayal ... whether he's trying to be dramatic (an error for him, if you ask me ... I really don't think he's that deep) or trying to be funny (and there I think he's still the one-trick pony from his "Bosom Buddies" days). Not everyone is cut out to be a dramatic actor, IMO (e.g., Hanks), and not everyone is cut out for romantic comedy (e.g., Gerry). We can agree to disagree, and I've no problem with that.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars. Actors become the role; movie stars play themselves. Gerry is an actor ... and one who is smart enough to choose his roles well.

:bonk: Are you kidding? Look what Christopher Lee did with Dracula and vise vera it did for his career. Gerry has the eyes and power of depth emotionally to pull any role off well. As long as he doesn't get killed in this one! I am not a fan of westerns but hey to see him in a priests outfit I'll be buying the DVD! :heat: I would love to see him in another Dracula flim but maybe this time with Joel as the Directer? I have his movie "Lost Boys" and watch it at least once a year. Good music and with Kiefer Sutherland hey how can we lose? Do you hear me Joel? Take advantage of Gerry's hypnotic and dangerous features (A/I eyes). I also have this DVD (Dracula 2000) and he is so hot in it! :pant: Hey if he is a Vampire...bite me! (hahahaha)

I have very mixed feelings about this project. I had hoped for a modern-day movie rather than a fantasy/horror/warrior story. I know Gerry knows what he wants to do and I will support him in his choice but I do have a sinking feeling about this and would prefer to see him in something else. I wonder where TR fits in now?

Gerry does bring something special to whatever role he undertakes so I'm probably doubting this project unnecessarily, but I'm not a fan of the genre. If he does go ahead and make Priest I shall go to see it and hope to be proved wrong.

I'm sure you can tell by now that I'm quite confused in my thoughts about Priest. I hope to get my head around it eventually.

A Priest?

Holy Moly!!

Father, forgive me, I'm having impure thoughts. ::D:

I think he's a great actor and he makes interesting choices. I'm intrigued.

Father Gerry...

I'd definitely be going to confession then..

Too bad, I didn't know about this in Vegas..

"Bless me, Gerry.. for I am about to sin." :cunning:

I'm excited.

As I have said over and over and over again..

Gerry has died so many times in movies..

Shot, stabbed, poisoned, hanged, burned, fell off a cliff, kicked by a camel..

I NEED to see Big G kick some arse!

I need it!!

Thumbs up from Bethy!!

:goodjob2:

Oooh need to do some priest Gerry manips now!!

A Priest?

Holy Moly!!

Father, forgive me, I'm having impure thoughts. ::D:

I think he's a great actor and he makes interesting choices. I'm intrigued.

:heat: I am not even a Catholic but if he is a Priest hey I'm goin to confession!

As far as I'm concerned as a movie goer/ purchaser ; ANYTHING with him being his dangerous self is being added to my long long list of DVD's! :whip: :licky: :bonk:

Hmmm....

Posted Image

Korean Manga...

my son was thrilled (he's 18)...Gerry'll be a hit with the College Guys after adding this to his portfolio

Wonder if it will have that '300'/'Sin City' look or be like Blade or Underworld...

I wonder if Gerry will be dressed in traditional priest garb..or wear leather and ride a motorcycle.. dear God... :swoon:

Hey, the man can take any character and make it his own.

He can do anything.

Look what he did with Reign of Fire?

Personally, I thought he was the ONLY good thing about the movie.

I even bought TOTM, which was a POS, but I loved him in it.

I think Gerry is the most powerful and passionate actor to ever step onto the scene.

He can do it all.

Maybe he doesn't want to do "safe" roles.

He knows people want to see him do a romantic comedy (which would be adorable!) but maybe he wants to show people after POTO, - with B&G 300, and now this film.. that he isn't a pansy in tights..he can kick some arse!

He can be a pretty boy who can sing, and a badarse who can kick you through a wall..

Maybe his "Gerry Juice" has different flavors.

In The Phantom we saw a little "Passion Fruit"

I'd say with this film... Wild Cherry...no no... "Wild Gerry"

I'm behind ya, G.

All the way!!

:grrr2:

Guest greyeyegoddess

:funnypost:

I wrote this on another site but I thought I should share it with you fans, too.

I really liked the posts that mentioned how Gerry looks like he's trying to widen his base. I guess that's my concern. His fans, mostly female, are quite known throughout, and it wouldn't be bad for him to have more fans. It never hurts any entertainer to be diverse in his work, to be able to reach out and touch those who have watched the work.

I love watching Gerry in action. I'm happy for him if he does get this. For one, he'll be in Mexico, a place he hasn't been before-at least filming.

I trust Gerry's judgement on scripts. Something deep must have caught his eye or heart. Whether we like the synopsis or not, something hit Gerry in the script; something quite amazing. Maybe there's something he wants to teach or share with his fans. We just have to wait and see. There's gotta be a message in the work in there somewhere.

Sure I'd love to see him in a romantic or comedy or both. But to be honest, that type of genre doesn't get me to the theaters. I didn't even see DF in the theater...waited for the dvd.

Gerry, do whatever you want, sweetie. We'll come to watch you work and bring our friends and/or family. Just keep working so we can see you ever so often.

Edited by greyeyegoddess

I wonder if Gerry will be dressed in traditional priest garb..or wear leather and ride a motorcycle.. dear God... :swoon:

Hey, the man can take any character and make it his own.

He can do anything.

Look what he did with Reign of Fire?

Personally, I thought he was the ONLY good thing about the movie.

I even bought TOTM, which was a POS, but I loved him in it.

I think Gerry is the most powerful and passionate actor to ever step onto the scene.

He can do it all.

Maybe he doesn't want to do "safe" roles.

He knows people want to see him do a romantic comedy (which would be adorable!) but maybe he wants to show people after POTO, - with B&G 300, and now this film.. that he isn't a pansy in tights..he can kick some arse!

He can be a pretty boy who can sing, and a badarse who can kick you through a wall..

Maybe his "Gerry Juice" has different flavors.

In The Phantom we saw a little "Passion Fruit"

I'd say with this film... Wild Cherry...no no... "Wild Gerry"

I'm behind ya, G.

All the way!!

:grrr2:

:worship: :whip: He is his BEST when he is being his WORSE. Gerry has such a range of emotions that he can tap into at a moments notice and to our surprise he scares the hell out of us when he does. ALA in the lair when he flings Christine to the floor for removing his mask! His trade mark is his dangerous side and you know we women love the BAD BOYS ; even the ones who won't admit it! You all know who yous are (hehe)

Last night I read at least 6 different announcements about Gerry and "The Priest" and I may be in the minority when I say that I think this isn't a good career move, AT THIS TIME.

Why?

Because he's already done the sci-fi, weird, vampy stuff, timewarping, back-in-time, etc., genres.

I was SO hoping that Gerry would start taking on contemporary fims that had no gimmicks, but just excellent scripts and storylines.

Gerry is beyond an actor - he's an interpreter, a story-teller and a creator of persons, so I would so love to see him take on a role that only requires him to embody that character, without any "trappings" as to era, time or place.

Sorta like "Butterfly on a Wheel".

Like" Dear Frankie."

I know that Gerry is a thoughtful man regarding his work, but he may get type-cast if many of his future roles are like Attila, Phantom, Beowulf, Dracula, Creedy, Terry, Marek, etc.

OTOH, he may be trying to get the attention of other age groups of movie goers. :confused:

I guess I am hungry for more films like Dear Frankie for Gerry as you have said "without any 'trapings'". But, let us all be sure that Gerry will only take the roles that he is interested in and that he feels will bring him a larger audience.

I did actually like Dracula and thought that Gerry did a great job of making Dracula very sexy. I think the hardest part of Dracula to watch at least for me was during the airplane scenes when he looked very frightening.

I have never really been a horror film type of person and usually avoid them like the plague, but if Gerry is in one, I will see it no matter what. I guess there might just be more of closing the eyes and peeking through my fingers or asking if it is ok to look now?

I have mixed feelings about this one. I will have to do more research. One cannot please everyone all of the time.

:whome2: Yeah, even you Gerry

Just my opinion. I have faith that Gerry will do whatever is best for his career and if this is a good move for him, then I wish him my best.

BonnieSkye

What a great thread with all these viewpoints! I love it! When I first learned of this possible new role this morning I was a bit perplexed, as this is definitely not my type of movie... but again I've watched many movies lately that aren't "my type" just to see the man and I'm always blown away by his performance. Although I'm unsure of my feelings for this particular role/genre, I know that the intensity that Mr. B brings everytime will be incredible. I sincerely hope Terese Raquin is still in the cards as that is another intense role that will GB will just sink his teeth into.

Here's some pics & lotsa info about the comic book "Priest": http://www.domas-porada.co.uk/main.php?id=...s&nav=Nav_Issue

I like this look the best - it'll be interesting to see how our sexy man pulls this off:

Posted Image

Oh and this is interesting - a synopsis of "Priest": In the frontier of the American West, a veil of evil threatens to engulf humanity. Servants of the fallen archangel Temozarela are paving the way for their dark lord's resurrection. One man stands in the way of the Apocalypse - Ivan Isaacs - a fallen priest who sold his soul to the devil Belial for the power to fight evil. Armed with a wicked blade and silver bullets, Ivan will give the heretics a baptism of blood in his pilgrimage for humanity's redemption.

Oh and more interesting backstory - forbidden love! Before Ivan Isaacs became the undead pilgrim who battles Temozarela's forces, he was just a mortal man with the usual human failings. Orphaned at an early age, Ivan was adopted by Jacob Isaacs, a wealthy frontiersman who wanted his only daughter, Gena, to have a companion. In the solitude of the Isaacs' homestead, the two siblings developed stronger feelings than their father or society would allow. To escape his desire, Ivan entered seminary, where he found a new interest: the study of ancient religions. Nine years later, Father Ivan Isaacs is still haunted by memories of his true love. But a new figure has begun appearing in his dreams - a knight Templar, a holy defender of the crusades. Now Ivan stands at a crossroads. One path leads to ancient demons, the other to a forbidden love. Whichever path he chooses will certainly lead to damnation.

As always, opinions will differ. However, whenever I see Tom Hanks in *anything,* I see the same portrayal ... whether he's trying to be dramatic (an error for him, if you ask me ... I really don't think he's that deep) or trying to be funny (and there I think he's still the one-trick pony from his "Bosom Buddies" days). Not everyone is cut out to be a dramatic actor, IMO (e.g., Hanks), and not everyone is cut out for romantic comedy (e.g., Gerry). We can agree to disagree, and I've no problem with that.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars. Actors become the role; movie stars play themselves. Gerry is an actor ... and one who is smart enough to choose his roles well.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars, too. To me, Tom Hanks = actor , who, for MY money, does not play himself over and over, unlike many I could name, but won't. (We all have our favorites, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying someone they like can't act. ) Just my opinion, and that of many other fans, and it doesn't have to agree with anyone else's, that's for sure. But I also think Gerry is an actor, rather than just a movie star, and THAT I'm sure we agree on, and that's the whole point of this discussion.

And from an acting standpoint, I still have very mixed feelings about this role in Priest. Not for myself...I LOVE vampire movies, if they are well done. But since he's "been there, bitten that," I still would prefer to see him do a real heavy drama like Terese Raquin, or try something totally different, like a well written romantic comedy. (Again, the operative phrase is "well written." I do NOT mean a piece of "fluff" as someone mentioned, but rather, something witty and charming...two adjectives used frequently in describing Gerry, I might add.)

I like watching him grow as an actor, which I think he has done remarkably with each film. His skills are so much better today than they were even 5 years ago, and they improve with each movie. BTW, Burns (which most of us are dying to see him do) is supposed to be as much romantic comedy as drama, according to Gerry. He compares it to Shakespeare in Love, a brilliant comedy, and I sure hope he gets the chance to do IT, someday.

Anyway, my main point in posting to this thread at all was that while I will support whatever he does, my personal preference would be to see him try NEW things. And also, I wanted to make the point that I believe he would be excellent in a romantic comedy. He has all the skill necessary for it, and I will continue to hope that he will get the opportunity to play ALL types of roles, from action to comedy to drama, and everything in between. Why should he limit himself or become typecast? Hopefully, he will find many new and different types of characters to tickle our fancy and populate our fantasies. And if he thinks Priest is what he should do next, as I said in my original post, I will keep an open mind, in spite of my personal mixed feelings. While I might wonder if it is the best type of movie for him at this point, there's a real good chance I will enjoy it, regardless.

Marcia

Gerry has to choose from what he's offered. I would imagine a really first class romantic comedy would be snatched

up by an A list actor before Gerry would get a peek at it. I'm hoping with "300" and this new film (if true) diversify

Gerry's fanbase, that the people with the $$$$$$ go, "Hmmmmm...he can bring in the women AND the men."

Then, maybe he would get better quality scripts to pick from. While I'm sure something in this role spoke to

him, I wouldn't count out the buisness angle.

Now I need to look at some shirtless pics. :lol: