Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Trueword

Gerry in Negotiations to Star in "Priest"

LOL i have to share this. I just told my fiancee Willy about "Priest" and he is super excited about it! lol He's a HUGE fan of comic book movies and japanese anime/comics. I showed him the site I posted above and read to him about the plot of the comics, and he is so pumped, hehehe Well... at least I'll be able to happily watch this with him. Willy enjoyed POTO and DF and other GB movies, but it'll be nice to have a movie to go to that he's excited to see too. He's also excited that Sony Screen Gems is doing the movie, he says they do amazing special effects, tehehe

This is definitely going to widen his fan base, so I definitely see why the role was appealing. Plus I've been reading about it more on the site, and I am getting a little more excited about it. It's pretty juicy. ::D:

I'm just glad to see Gerry working. I'm in no position to question his career decisions. If he wants this part, I hope he gets it. And I hope I get a chance to see it on the big screen. I say go for it Gerry. ::D:

Edited by Lady Elissa

My initial reaction was "not my kind of movie" but the more I've read the more interesting it sounds and I just now had to remind myself that I said that about V for Vendetta and when I finally saw it I loved it - it is my favorite non-Gerry movie of the past several years. So I will remain open minded and supportive of Gerry's decisions. If the script spoke to him and it widens his fan base yet again (300 will do that also) then I say "way to go, Gerry - love ya babe and I'll be plopping my $$$ down at the box office for anything you do!"

I do still hope TR is on, as that is a meaty dramatic role that I'd love to see Gerry sink his teeth into (without supernatural creatures).

Two word's Vin Diezal. This is an actor that when you see him you think of muscle and macho movies. Yet he was willing to broaden his scope of acting in "The Pacifier" playing opposite a bunch of kid's and make it believable and funny. I agree with alot of you that Gerry is going to find himself typecast and it will become harder for him to be taken as a broad spectrum actor. As much as I love him as person, I think "Priest" isn't going to be a wise choice for his career. :hmm2:

:hearts:

:hugs:

Ladysweethome

So Gerry's playing a priest. Sorry, just the thought makes me lmao. Since it's based on a comic book, I bet Gerry's priest takes his chastity vows lightly. :cunning: :ohbaby2:

Exactly what I was thinking. Who cast Gerry as a priest???? Makes me have thoughts that send me straight to hell in a handbasket.....

I would *far* rather see Gerry in this type of role than a fluffy romantic comedy.

Abso-friggin-lutely. I'm STOKED about this. Sure, it's not the usual. I think it's a bit Gerry-goes-cult-flick. I was thinking how great he'd be in a Western (despite the fact that I pretty much despise them), and how much I wanted to see a good-vs-evil flick again. It just sounds like it would be SOOOO much fun to film, and I think he could use a bit of destressing. I LOVED D2K, so it's right up my alley. I'll admit that it doesn't sound like a mainstream, fame-inducing sort of movie (but then again, Therese Raquin doesn't either, and I'm glad he's not going for the lame-o stuff just for the face-recognition aspect of it), but I love the idea. Personally I just can't stand the idea of him in a romantic comedy. Sure, we'd get some romance. But he's SOOO much better when he's showing his depth. Plus there's something insanely sexy about dark and dangerous...

Just one question...where does a girl sign up to be the priestess in all this?

Jen

Alrighty Jen, darling, you call your agent and trust me I'll be making a nuisance of myself with mine if this is a go.

There's something about the Butler in priestly garb that gets my heart a hopping double-time, and me, a GAL who graduated from an all-girls school run by nuns, too.

That's me, they knew it all the time, everytime I was in the Office facing the Sister Superior...............

A BAD GIRL, WITH A HEART OF GOLD...................

Cailleach

:hugs: Jen.

Gerry's too much man for ONE priestess.

What about a saucy redhead priestess who is handy with blades?

To work with that man in a dark dangerous role that he can just go wild with...

:spontaneous:

Hi all, this is my first post here at Gals although I post a lot at GB.Net.

Like many have said, I too have mixed feelings about this project. Actually I was disappointed when I first read about it. Why? I had hoped that after BOAW where Gerry was beginning to work with big names like Pierce Brosnan that he would be past doing films like this one. I'm also a little concerned about another "graphic novel" type movie so close to 300. I agree with many that Gerry may be trying to expand his fan base and attract a younger fan and more males. Perhaps if he can show his diversity as an actor and attract a wider fan base the opportunity for better scripts will come along. I also agree that Gerry is great in any role he chooses and I'm sure Priest will be no different, although it's not a movie I'm really interested to see.

I'm also a little surprised after what he said at the convention that he'd be looking at a role that will require so much emotionally.

I was a little irked by a comment made in one of the articles that said this looks like a money grab by Gerry. They don't know him very well, do they? Gerry's talent has made me watch films I would not normally watch such as TR2, DK2 and Attila. I enjoyed his roles in each of those movies very much. It won't matter too much to me what he appears in as long as I get to see him perform. The exception would be if he played the devil as I really don't want that image of him in my mind. He is a big boy, he should be able to pick a role without being critisized for it. He might be concerned about broadening his fan base but I think ultimately he picks roles that appeal to him, not to please the fans. Besides this is just in TALKS, not a done deal. If it becomes a done deal, I hope we all will come together and work with him as a team like he said we did at the convention.

Robyne

Hi all, this is my first post here at Gals although I post a lot at GB.Net.

Like many have said, I too have mixed feelings about this project. Actually I was disappointed when I first read about it. Why? I had hoped that after BOAW where Gerry was beginning to work with big names like Pierce Brosnan that he would be past doing films like this one. I'm also a little concerned about another "graphic novel" type movie so close to 300. I agree with many that Gerry may be trying to expand his fan base and attract a younger fan and more males. Perhaps if he can show his diversity as an actor and attract a wider fan base the opportunity for better scripts will come along. I also agree that Gerry is great in any role he chooses and I'm sure Priest will be no different, although it's not a movie I'm really interested to see.

I'm also a little surprised after what he said at the convention that he'd be looking at a role that will require so much emotionally.

:welcome: Seashell.

Your words are the thoughts running through my head. I am very disappointed in his choice. He is such a fine actor, and roles like this certainly will not showcase his talent. I thoroughly detested DRACULA but understood it was a role he probably could have used then. If he is trying to reach a different target audience of teenagers, I seriously ask, "WHY?" This may be a generalization, but movies designed for the teenage crowd is trash. Teenagers generally don't have any idea what real talent is. Analysis and understanding of the arts is a cultivated flavor in which opinions and judgments are formed based on a wide variety of culture, genres, films, etc. I will not be wishing him well on this project. I'd like to slap him upside the head and say, "What the hell are you doing? Snap out of it." LOL

I am not one to lend support for something I don't believe in. Gerry is a big boy and he makes his own decisions. As one of his loyal fans, I don't have to support something just because Gerry attaches his name to it. Au contraire. When a member of my family makes a bad choice, we aren't going to go along with it just because it is their decision. Not!!!!

JMHO but it's mine, nonetheless.

Lisa

Edited by Adoring

:hugs: Jen.

Gerry's too much man for ONE priestess.

What about a saucy redhead priestess who is handy with blades?

To work with that man in a dark dangerous role that he can just go wild with...

:spontaneous:

One green-eyes blonde (who is currently a redhead thanks to a current film) and one redhead, hmmmmm......

Yeah it just may work.........

I think I have it figured out. You distract him and I'll jump him, then we tie him down and ....and........... :cleavage2

OH yeah, this is gonna work beautifully............... :ohbaby2:

Luv ya Bethy,

Cailleach (ps. remember I'm the one with the stage combat training.........)

:heat: Does anyone remember the movie "Dusk to Dawn"? It had George Clooney and it didn't do any dammage to his career. Get with it girls! Every actor has to have a role where they learn something from. Gerry is such a talented actor that he could turn his hand to anything. Johnny Depp as a pirate isn't exactly Shakespear! Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible I/II/III ? They are supposed to do another Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser and he is really pumped for that because it pulls in at the box office. I say GO GERRY! I love fantasy movies and am sick to death with reallity shows. If I want to see bad acting and boring plots hey then I will turn on the T.V. and watch that crap (which I hate!). Excite me ; scare me; tickle my fancy and entertain me. Just be there Gerry and I know you won't dissappoint me EVER! :worship: :whip: :wub: Edited by may

As for Tom Hanks, I have never, ever considered him less than a very fine actor. I don't see him playing himself over and over again at all. Not the man who wasted away from aids and died tragically but bravely in Philadelphia, who bantered sweetly and gently with Meg Ryan in several turns, and who carried the entire movie "Cast Away" brilliantly, and who did a very dark turn in Road to Perdition. He may play the same sort of guy from one romantic comedy to another, but his range is much greater than that. He can do drama quite well when he wants to. Again, just my opinion, but I think he is a wonderful actor.

As always, opinions will differ. However, whenever I see Tom Hanks in *anything,* I see the same portrayal ... whether he's trying to be dramatic (an error for him, if you ask me ... I really don't think he's that deep) or trying to be funny (and there I think he's still the one-trick pony from his "Bosom Buddies" days). Not everyone is cut out to be a dramatic actor, IMO (e.g., Hanks), and not everyone is cut out for romantic comedy (e.g., Gerry). We can agree to disagree, and I've no problem with that.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars. Actors become the role; movie stars play themselves. Gerry is an actor ... and one who is smart enough to choose his roles well.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars, too. To me, Tom Hanks = actor , who, for MY money, does not play himself over and over, unlike many I could name, but won't. (We all have our favorites, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying someone they like can't act. ) Just my opinion, and that of many other fans, and it doesn't have to agree with anyone else's, that's for sure. But I also think Gerry is an actor, rather than just a movie star, and THAT I'm sure we agree on, and that's the whole point of this discussion.

And from an acting standpoint, I still have very mixed feelings about this role in Priest. Not for myself...I LOVE vampire movies, if they are well done. But since he's "been there, bitten that," I still would prefer to see him do a real heavy drama like Terese Raquin, or try something totally different, like a well written romantic comedy. (Again, the operative phrase is "well written." I do NOT mean a piece of "fluff" as someone mentioned, but rather, something witty and charming...two adjectives used frequently in describing Gerry, I might add.)

I like watching him grow as an actor, which I think he has done remarkably with each film. His skills are so much better today than they were even 5 years ago, and they improve with each movie. BTW, Burns (which most of us are dying to see him do) is supposed to be as much romantic comedy as drama, according to Gerry. He compares it to Shakespeare in Love, a brilliant comedy, and I sure hope he gets the chance to do IT, someday.

Anyway, my main point in posting to this thread at all was that while I will support whatever he does, my personal preference would be to see him try NEW things. And also, I wanted to make the point that I believe he would be excellent in a romantic comedy. He has all the skill necessary for it, and I will continue to hope that he will get the opportunity to play ALL types of roles, from action to comedy to drama, and everything in between. Why should he limit himself or become typecast? Hopefully, he will find many new and different types of characters to tickle our fancy and populate our fantasies. And if he thinks Priest is what he should do next, as I said in my original post, I will keep an open mind, in spite of my personal mixed feelings. While I might wonder if it is the best type of movie for him at this point, there's a real good chance I will enjoy it, regardless.

Marcia

As for Tom Hanks, I have never, ever considered him less than a very fine actor. I don't see him playing himself over and over again at all. Not the man who wasted away from aids and died tragically but bravely in Philadelphia, who bantered sweetly and gently with Meg Ryan in several turns, and who carried the entire movie "Cast Away" brilliantly, and who did a very dark turn in Road to Perdition. He may play the same sort of guy from one romantic comedy to another, but his range is much greater than that. He can do drama quite well when he wants to. Again, just my opinion, but I think he is a wonderful actor.

As always, opinions will differ. However, whenever I see Tom Hanks in *anything,* I see the same portrayal ... whether he's trying to be dramatic (an error for him, if you ask me ... I really don't think he's that deep) or trying to be funny (and there I think he's still the one-trick pony from his "Bosom Buddies" days). Not everyone is cut out to be a dramatic actor, IMO (e.g., Hanks), and not everyone is cut out for romantic comedy (e.g., Gerry). We can agree to disagree, and I've no problem with that.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars. Actors become the role; movie stars play themselves. Gerry is an actor ... and one who is smart enough to choose his roles well.

I differentiate between actors and movie stars, too. To me, Tom Hanks = actor , who, for MY money, does not play himself over and over, unlike many I could name, but won't. (We all have our favorites, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying someone they like can't act. ) Just my opinion, and that of many other fans, and it doesn't have to agree with anyone else's, that's for sure. But I also think Gerry is an actor, rather than just a movie star, and THAT I'm sure we agree on, and that's the whole point of this discussion.

And from an acting standpoint, I still have very mixed feelings about this role in Priest. Not for myself...I LOVE vampire movies, if they are well done. But since he's "been there, bitten that," I still would prefer to see him do a real heavy drama like Terese Raquin, or try something totally different, like a well written romantic comedy. (Again, the operative phrase is "well written." I do NOT mean a piece of "fluff" as someone mentioned, but rather, something witty and charming...two adjectives used frequently in describing Gerry, I might add.)

I like watching him grow as an actor, which I think he has done remarkably with each film. His skills are so much better today than they were even 5 years ago, and they improve with each movie. BTW, Burns (which most of us are dying to see him do) is supposed to be as much romantic comedy as drama, according to Gerry. He compares it to Shakespeare in Love, a brilliant comedy, and I sure hope he gets the chance to do IT, someday.

Anyway, my main point in posting to this thread at all was that while I will support whatever he does, my personal preference would be to see him try NEW things. And also, I wanted to make the point that I believe he would be excellent in a romantic comedy. He has all the skill necessary for it, and I will continue to hope that he will get the opportunity to play ALL types of roles, from action to comedy to drama, and everything in between. Why should he limit himself or become typecast? Hopefully, he will find many new and different types of characters to tickle our fancy and populate our fantasies. And if he thinks Priest is what he should do next, as I said in my original post, I will keep an open mind, in spite of my personal mixed feelings. While I might wonder if it is the best type of movie for him at this point, there's a real good chance I will enjoy it, regardless.

Marcia

All righty oh, GALS, calm down.

We all agree on one important thing and that is-----------

We all love Gerard and we will all go and watch him in whatever role he chooses to do, right?

As for myself, I will go and watch him, and watch him, and watch him etc. etc. etc. in whatever role he chooses to do............

Love the Gerryman to bits, and bits, and bits................ :whome2: yes, you............

Cailleach :gerryholic:

All righty oh, GALS, calm down.

We all agree on one important thing and that is-----------

We all love Gerard and we will all go and watch him in whatever role he chooses to do, right?

As for myself, I will go and watch him, and watch him, and watch him etc. etc. etc. in whatever role he chooses to do............

Love the Gerryman to bits, and bits, and bits................ :whome2: yes, you............

Cailleach :gerryholic:

Cailleach, I'm completely calm. As I said in EACH of my posts, I will support Gerry and will probably enjoy whatever he does. I've tried to stress each time I posted that he is a very capable actor who can do MANY types of roles, and I simply hate to see him get typecast. I am looking forward to watching him continue to grow as an actor, and hopefully, that will mean getting the chance to play ALL types of roles. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that I think he is as capable of doing romantic comedy as he is dark drama. It would seem, for some reason, that this opinion isn't popular, but that's all it is...an opinion. I just think Gerry is too good an actor to stick to the tried and true. And as he has said many times, he loves a challenge. And I, too, made the comment that we can at least ALL agree on Gerry.

I have not been posting on this group very long, and I try to be courteous and respectful, but it seems that every time I express my opinion, someone gets snippy about it, no matter how gently I say it. If it is okay to trash Tom Hanks, for instance, why is it not okay to defend him? To imply that because I consider Tom Hanks to be a good actor, I must not know the difference between a "movie star" and an "actor" seems rude to me. I consider myself an intelligent and thoughtful movie buff and a good, supportive fan of Gerry's, but I'm rapidly learning that I need to keep my thoughts to myself in this group. I can't say that I've been made to feel welcome, nor do any of my contributions meet with much in the way of honest dialog from anyone else. (Discoveringme would be the only exception to that.)

I'm not being argumentative or whining, here. Just stating what I have met with so far. I've never had this happen with any group I've ever belonged to, and I didn't expect it here. So, I'm genuinely perplexed at what to do about it, but I suspect I will just quit trying to join in.

Marcia

Edited by Ma Nature

Marcia, you're free to feel whatever you want. All I said is that opinions differ, and I cited a particular one (one in which *we* happen to differ). I do not think that differing opinions mean anything other than that people see things differently. No one has told you you are not welcome to express your opinion. I have not taken our difference of opinion personally in the slightest, and I guess I'm more than a trifle puzzled that you have done so. :shrug:

The internet is not the ideal medium for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that there is no verbal or facial expression to go with our words (no matter how many smileys we put in).

:claphands: hey, GALS, gals!!

I think we all just have to have a step back...

electronic communications are so tricky...they don't convey the tone of voice, the eye contact, the tenor of what a person wants to say.

Everyone's opinion is valued here at GALS...

we don't have to agree with each other about Gerry's choice of roles....just that we love Gerry.

We don't dis other actors, nor should we rave about 'em here (that's what the Cheating on Gerard forum's for...a little lusting on the side for another man :cunning: )...

How did we get into a knot over this? :doh:

Some of us love the diversity of all Gerry's choices, some of us don't. We all love Gerry...

Remember, as Gerry said, bickering wastes time! ::D: However,

what you're actually doing is having a little give and take on your opinions..

and since opinions are subjective rather than objective

we'd rather not engage in them here, when they involve other actors.

And even Gerry would agree, I am sure, that he is not the only great actor alive today.

He's just one of the truly great actors who's yet to be fully appreciated. :kisswink:

Please don't be upset or feel slighted, MaNature!

Everyone is welcome to post their opinions and then be open for the give and take that may result. We are asked not to post negative, critical remarks about other actors. We want to be respectful of all actors and their fans not just of each other.

We hope you'll continue to join in lively discussions, with pros and cons, opinions and views.

We want everyone to feel welcome, and to know that they are a valued member of our FANmily.

Hugs,

Barbara

Guest greyeyegoddess

It's most interesting to see what each of us see. Some see Gerry as the ultimate romantic; some see him as the action hero-fighter of evil. Who I might think is one of the best actors aside from Gerry, might make another hurl--it has actually happened :doh:

I think we can agree that Gerry does his best and we will get the best from him, no matter what he does.

I said this before and others have echoed it; I trust his judgement when it comes to the scripts. He'll surprise us, even if it's not our cup of tea at the time. He's made movies I don't care for, but I've seen his performances, because he's just so darn GOOD! That's why I'm here! He'll keep surprising me; taking my breath away.

Gerry Juice is starting to overflow with sweet goodness to all the fans....

~alice

Okay, first of all..

For those who don't know me.. I'm Bethy ::D:

Welcome to the site.

I'd like to say that this website is built on respect.

Respect for Gerry, respect for all GB fans, respect for each other.

I must say in my first posts on this thread, I did not feel like anyone's opinions were being trashed. My posts were more funny in nature. (Like all of them..yes I am a maniac. hehe)

There are a few actors who do not "light my fire" but someone may like them, so I agree, we shouldn't be trashing anyone anywhere on this site.

Even though we may not agree on certain "other" actors, we should never disrespect that actor, or even worse disrespect each other.

Everyone on this site is friendly and kind-hearted, so when someone feels in any way disrespected, it worries me. I would tend to think that it was not intentional, as we are a lovable group of GALS here.

Sometimes our thoughts sound one way in our heads, but on the screen they seem different. I think we are just voicing our own opinions here, and if there is anything disrespectful implied, then it was not intentional.

We all respect Gerry, and want him to do well.

I think this thread just got focussed on each person's opinion on what would be the best course of action for Gerry at this time in his career.

We all want to see him find new ways of using his God-givin talents.

We all have "dream roles" that we wish him to play someday.

For me it's .. The Maquis deSade.. and I KNOW there are plenty of people who

would have issues with that role, but it's only my opinion.

Please do not feel that your opinion is not respected on this site.

I think this was just a matter of different preferences.

We all have different opinions and they are all welcome here.

We are all here for the same reason.

We all love and respect Gerard Butler.

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif

Bethy

You know when I first read about this I immediately posted and mentioned that I wasn't that excited about it. I'm still a bit inbetween, but I'm leaning more toward the very interested side. Thanks for the background Stef it has helped me in rethinking about this project he's negotiating. I told my hubby about it be it he's a big Ultimate Spiderman fan and he reads various other comic books and he said that it sounded interesting. He has tried to wind me up in the past by calling Gerry a B-rated actor, so I was pleasantly surprised when he told me he's interested. Hum...I think our dear Gerry may soon have a new base of fans in the wings. They may not join the drool brigade but they will at least find him interesting as we now do. We have to respect his decisions. He's a big boy I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I will support anything he does. I'm dedicated to this devotion for him for the long haul.

Cassie

Ma Nature,

Please don't take offense at some of the comments. When I was in grad school, we had to learn a new process of peer review. That is difficult to undergo at first. I think that is what we are having here. It is opinions being expressed by a group of equals after due consideration of the facts or perceived circumstances. Note: That is "Opinions" to which we are each entitled. We have the set of facts and beliefs, and the conclusions we reach upon due considersation is up to us. Others are free to form their own conclusions.

I agree with most of what you have stated. Certainly, I agree that Gerry has grown exponentially as an Actor. I watched Atilla last night. It's amazing how much more effectively he can express his emotions on screen in The Jury, Dear Frankie, and POTO! I still can't watch them with tearing up mightily. I enjoy watching a good performance by a good actor more anytime than just a movie star hamming it up for the screen. That includes many outstanding performances by accomplished actors. And an exceptional performance by Gerard Butler is wondrous to behold! It takes my breath away!

In any case, hugs to ye, GAL!

DragNLady Pat

I will support anything he does. I'm dedicated to this devotion for him for the long haul.

Cassie

Love you to bits, Cassie!

I agree.

No matter what Gerry does, I am behind him 200%.

I don't care if he does "Preparation H" commercials,

I'll stick by him! ::D:

I think we will all be supportive of his decisions.

I think, because we respect him so much as an artist,

we do not want him to be a "flash in the pan" type deal.

We don't want people to see him as only capable of playing

"certain" roles.

We don't ever want Gerry to be limited.

I think everyone wants our G-Man to do well.

So even if opinions may differ, remember... we are all in this together.

Afterall, just like the big man said.. "We're TEAM GERRY!"

:hugs:

Bethy

Okay, first of all..

Welcome to the site.

I must say in my first posts on this thread, I did not feel like anyone's opinions were being trashed. My posts were more funny in nature. (Like all of them..yes I am a maniac. hehe)

There are a few actors who do not "light my fire" but someone may like them, so I agree, we shouldn't be trashing anyone anywhere on this site.

Even though we may not agree on certain "other" actors, we should never disrespect that actor, or even worse disrespect each other.

Everyone on this site is friendly and kind-hearted, so when someone feels in any way disrespected, it worries me. I would tend to think that it was not intentional, as we are a lovable group of GALS here.

Sometimes our thoughts sound one way in our heads, but on the screen they seem different. I think we are just voicing our own opinions here, and if there is anything disrespectful implied, then it was not intentional.

I think this thread just got focussed on each person's opinion on what would be the best course of action for Gerry at this time in his career.

Bethy

Edited by may

Okay, first of all..

Welcome to the site.

Bethy

:claphands: Oh how i hate technology! You are absolutely right! Gerry did say that he reads these sites. What if we do the oposite and turn him off with our over zealous display of well wishes garnished with a hint of nagging? Sometimes too much talk spoils a great conversation! We all love him and yes we want to see more of him ; and if it were up to us he would have a lead role in a block buster movie that would spread his face across the Universe so that everyone would see how gifted he really is. Lets just be glad that we get to see him again and remember that if he did glance at our site he would be as proud of us as we are of him? :doh:

:claphands: hey, GALS, gals!!

I think we all just have to have a step back...

electronic communications are so tricky...they don't convey the tone of voice, the eye contact, the tenor of what a person wants to say.

Everyone's opinion is valued here at GALS...

we don't have to agree with each other about Gerry's choice of roles....just that we love Gerry.

We don't dis other actors, nor should we rave about 'em here (that's what the Cheating on Gerard forum's for...a little lusting on the side for another man :cunning: )...

How did we get into a knot over this? :doh:

Some of us love the diversity of all Gerry's choices, some of us don't. We all love Gerry...

Remember, as Gerry said, bickering wastes time! ::D: However,

what you're actually doing is having a little give and take on your opinions..

and since opinions are subjective rather than objective

we'd rather not engage in them here, when they involve other actors.

And even Gerry would agree, I am sure, that he is not the only great actor alive today.

He's just one of the truly great actors who's yet to be fully appreciated. :kisswink:

Please don't be upset or feel slighted; everyone is welcome to post their opinions and then be open for the give and take that may result. We are asked not to post negative, critical remarks about other actors. We want to be respectful of all actors and their fans not just of each other.

I am 100% in favor of being able to discuss our various viewpoints and ideas about Gerry and his career. I don't know why anyone ever thought I wasn't respectful of him. In each post, I tried to state clearly that the opinions I expressed were JUST that. Opinions. My own personal ones. Much as everyone else was expressing. I think the trouble came about when I specifically disagreed with one poster. Perhaps my phrase "I couldn't disagree more" sounded like a challenge. It wasn't. It was just my prelude to explaining why I saw it a bit differently. But what was upsetting to me (and I WAS upset) was the implication that because I see Tom Hanks as a good actor, I must not know the difference between an actor and a movie star. That sounded very rude to me, and very personal. If it wasn't meant that way, then I apologize for responding to it.

I also thought I read that we were not supposed to say negative things about other actors. That's one reason I felt compelled to stand up for poor Tom. I didn't diss him or rave about him, either one. Just said that I consider him a fine actor, which I do. And that's when things went downhill.

I have said over and over again that I support Gerry and will probably enjoy this movie. I never once said I disliked this choice. Just that I had MIXED feelings about it...thus implying both good and bad feelings about it. I also believe firmly that Gerry can handle any type of role he chooses to take on, including romantic comedy, should he pursue it. I don't know how this can be construed as anything but supportive.

The reason I said I would probably just stop posting is because no matter which thread I have posted in , most of my comments have been totally ignored. I have found no sense of the "making new friends" I wanted to find here. I belong to 2 stationery groups, 2 Phantom groups, a Digital Arts group, a gardening group, and another Gerry group. I'm very active in these groups and get along with EVERYONE. I've never had anything like this happen before, yet it has happened twice here in the 2 weeks I've been a member. I don't get it. Maybe it's ME, maybe it's the group, I don't know. But I do know I don't like feeling nervous every time I go to post, and I don't like the lonely feeling of having my attempts to participate ignored. It doesn't feel friendly at all.

I wanted very much to fit in here and to participate and to make new friends. I'm sad that isn't happening.

Marcia

:erikrose: Preporation H Cleobethra? Hmm it's something to think on...I guess. YOU KILL ME GIRL! :treasuretrail: Hahaha!