Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry in Negotiations to Star in "Priest"

I know this is going off topic but as a Moderator and member of GALS since the start I wanted to address the other issue that is coming up.

It distressed me that anyone feels that their posts or opinions are ignored or not valued here at GALS. There are bound to be differing opinions on some subjects (like what type of movies Gerry should be doing next), and this site is huge and growing very rapidly (we have had more than a 30% increase in membership in just 2 weeks so that is almost unreal). Many of the new members joined in the aftermath of Vegas so while 500+ new people joined there were about 100 people who at that very same time were coming off the high of meeting in Vegas AND seeing Gerry there. I'm afraid the combination of the two may have made some of the new members feel left out, and that is ENTIRELY unintentional. I don't think any of us, including the Admins and Mods, have time to visit every forum on the site - I know I don't. So that means there may well be posts that appear to go unappreciated or unnoticed and I'm very sorry about that. When a new member posts on the Support Center I try to make sure they are welcomed and there are several very new members who have become regular posters there recently. That is kind of the central "getting to know each other and check in" forum here, while the others are more topic-specific.

Yes, there are some people who have formed close friendships here and often may "chat" back and forth to one another quite a bit, but that's part of being FANmily, and I don't think any of them ever intentionally exclude others, even newbies. Just pop in and say "HEY I'm new here and would like to join in your conversation" and 99% of the time you'll be welcomed.

MaNature and tilzey - welcome to GALS. Please try to understand why those who joined recently may have "fallen through the cracks" of being recognized and don't give up trying. MaNature- I honestly don't think anyone meant to disrespect you or your opinions, and I went back through the whole thread and didn't get the impression that anyone was trying to say you had in any way been disrespectful of Gerry. I'm sorry you felt that was happening.

It is quite obvious that some people are going to love this type of movie for Gerry and some are going to hate it. We don't even all have to agree to see every movie he makes. Just because we are fans does not mean we aren't entitled to make our own choices about entertainment, even when it is a movie with Gerry starring. I'm still unsure about Priest, but my vow as a fan has been to see every Gerry movie at least once (or try to) and then decide whether it is worth additional viewings or not. To date I have still not been able to watch all of Shooters - I've watched about 15 minutes of it (yellow towel) and that is actually more than I can stomach. Gerry may make other choices like that in his career, and each of us can make the choice whether we will watch it.

I send welcoming hugs to everyone, whether you agree with me or not. Heaven knows I rarely agree with members of my own family, so members of my FANmily are welcome to disagree with me too!!!

Susan

Hi, Susan! Thank you for taking the time to respond and for making me stop and think that many of you have had your plates full lately, and may not have had the time to respond to new members as you ordinarily would. I can appreciate that, and I am sorry that I let myself feel slighted over what was surely unintentional.

I think I was so excited to be in a new group of Gerry fans, and really wanting to be accepted as part of the group, that I felt more hurt than I usually would. I am not a newbie at group dynamics, having belonged to many. But I was getting very frustrated at not being able to "connect" with anyone on topics that interested me. I will try to meet some people in the Support Center and see if that helps break the ice any. (I guess I didn't understand that was what it was for.)

Yes, I did feel that at least some posters were saying to me that Gerry has a right to choose whatever roles he wants, as though I weren't respecting that right, and I couldn't understand why they were saying that, when I had said in every post that I supported that, etc. I felt as if no one was reading what I was saying at all, based on the responses I was getting. Perhaps it was a total miscommunication, all the way around. Ordinarily, I would have sloughed it off, but on top of trying so hard to "meet" folks for several weeks, it just really got to me today. I apologize for anything I said to add to the problem. But I was speaking from my heart when I said I had not felt welcome here. I understand now that it may have been a matter of "slipping through the cracks" like you explained above, but at the time, it did make me feel really bad. And if you read my posts, you'll know what it was that REALLY seemed rude to me. No need to belabor that point again, but that was definitely the trigger that made me think it was apparently impossible to join in a discussion here. Hopefully, THAT was a miscommunication, also. Perhaps it wasn't meant the way it sounded.

I give you my word, I do NOT expect everyone to agree with me on ANY topic, nor to give my opinions any more weight than their own. (Around my house, no one pays a bit of attention to my opinions, that's a dead cert.) When I say I have mixed feelings about Priest, it's just that...mixed. Some good thoughts on it (I love vampire stories when they are done well) and some bad ones (why another vampire/comic movie instead of something that would make critics sit up and take notice?) But these are just THOUGHTS on the subject. That's all. I will see the movie, as I have seen all of his others, and I will probably like it. And I will keep an open mind about it until I get the chance to see how it turns out. I just want to know that I am free to express those thoughts, as long as I do it in a polite and respectful way, which I thought I had been doing.

Thank you again for your post. I will try to relax, and start anew tomorrow, with the hope that my words won't be taken in the wrong way, and that I will be better able to understand what is being said to ME, in turn.

Hugs,

Marcia

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Ardeth -- can I be like you when I grow up?! LOL -- you are such a warm soul!

As for MaNature and Tilzey - it pains me to think you've felt left out here at Gals. I'm registered everywhere, too. Gals is "home." You are correct in realizing that some serious bonding happened in Vegas! I hope that you hang around and join us in Vegas again (it's only 49 weeks away) so that we may enlarge our circle of friends with your bondage, also (Ok. So maybe that didn't come out quite right ...)

I have no idea if I'm speaking for other gals which consider this site "home," but I will say this... in the time what we have now started referring to as "PV" (post-vegas) this site has grown dramatically. Personally, I have tried to extend a welcome to everyone -- but the new arrival rate has been overwhelming. There's no way to catch everyone. If you've been "slighted" in some way, I would ask that you continue to post. Let us get to know each other. (Some have been members since last July, but only have 5 posts -- it's hard to banter back and forth with someone if they're not jumping in all that often). I'm rambling and I'm sorry. I just hope you give this site to envelope you as it has so many others. And don't be afraid to jump into chat, either. We LOVE newbies!

Holly aka Spot

Oh My Fooking Butler ----- Woman!

Posted Image

:gerrygasm::thud::heat: :spontaneous:

there went 12 years of catholic schooling, straight down the drain LOL :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif :bow2:

Hugs & love,

Stef

Oh my GOD you're not just kidding!!!!! WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PIC STEF???? The Vatican should use him as their recruiting poster boy! There were NEVER priests that looked like Gerry when I was growing up!!! :heat: Well . . . Father Virgil Funk . . . but then he got disillusioned and became very boring!!! Maybe if there HAD been one I'd still be practicing it today!! Holly I'm with you too girl!! ::D:

Ardeth

P.S.Growing pains are OK . . . cuz then you get to grow! :claphands:

I was just outside doing a mundane chore, the best time to do fruitful thinking, and a wonderful metaphor came to mind to show all the linkages here.

Think of Gerry's bracelet - the one that is a chain made of circles.

Circles are infinite,

The circle of circles (the bracelet) is infinite.

Just like the circles that are interlinked to make a larger circle, they are all connected, just as we are.

[/color][/size]

Corny sounding, but simply true

Good ol' Gers comes thru again! :wub:

I love this!!!!

Talk about *We are all connected*....Such synchronicity in this~~~

I was just writing this (the other day? yesterday? well, recently! ::D: )to Swan in the prayers thread....

"I feel that all unfolds in divine right timing~~~ and there has been such a creation of Goodness and Kindness and Grace, which seems to emanate from Gerry and has brought so many souls together in beautiful kinship....as if a sparkling stone was dropped into a still pool....the circle widens and the ripples connect to one another, on and on...and all of our hearts become a part of that stream , flowing and embracing one another, through the ebb and flow of the endless sea of Love, we are ONE.

I have mused on this endlessly ....trying to understand the powerful impact that this journey has had upon my life. Sometimes, I despair of ever finding the "pairrrrfect" words to describe or explain what it means and how I feel about Gerry, about my sisters and brothers here and elsewhere in *Gerry-land* and about the countless blessings I have been given as a gift during this past year and a half. "

Please always know that you are worthy, valued and a very special *link* in the chain of hearts which connects us, one to the other.

xoxoxoxCheri

P.S. I have not thought too much yet about this new role for Gerry.....but, as always, he remains in my heart and in my prayers as he continues upon his path as a *storyteller extraordinairre*.....I know that I will not always love and be moved by everything, everytime....but I will always give anything that he *creates* at least the chance of a first look , no matter what....

xoxoxo

Beautifully said, Cheri! We ARE all connected! Whether you see us as links in a bracelet or ripples in the pond, spreading outward endlessly, we are a group of diverse souls held together by the common bond of affection for this actor who has touched all our lives. I'm happy that he has at least an inkling of the friendships and adventures that have come about as a direct result of his art. That is the essence of what I was looking for in this group when I joined. That sense of being a part of something larger than I am. (Don't tell my husband I said that...he thinks there is probably NOTHING larger than I am!)

Hugs,

Marcia

Oh my GOD you're not just kidding!!!!! WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PIC STEF???? The Vatican should use him as their recruiting poster boy! There were NEVER priests that looked like Gerry when I was growing up!!! :heat: Well . . . Father Virgil Funk . . . but then he got disillusioned and became very boring!!! Maybe if there HAD been one I'd still be practicing it today!!

Hey Ardeth! That is a Cleobethra original manip, LOL She's amazing I bow to queen http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif I NEVER saw a priest in my school that looked like that, they all scared the shizit out of me, lol

Oh my GOD you're not just kidding!!!!! WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PIC STEF???? The Vatican should use him as their recruiting poster boy! There were NEVER priests that looked like Gerry when I was growing up!!! :heat: Well . . . Father Virgil Funk . . . but then he got disillusioned and became very boring!!! Maybe if there HAD been one I'd still be practicing it today!!

Hey Ardeth! That is a Cleobethra original manip, LOL She's amazing I bow to queen http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif I NEVER saw a priest in my school that looked like that, they all scared the shizit out of me, lol

:worship: Me too she is fantastic with pictures and so kinky too...in a nice way though. :heat::rotflmao::wave:

I agree.

No matter what Gerry does, I am behind him 200%.

I don't care if he does "Preparation H" commercials,

:hugs:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif

Bethy

OK so this is an aside to a serious issue but Bethy the instant image of Gerry doing a "Preparation H" commercial gave me the giggles! Leave it to you to help us all smile. Thanks for the levity. :claphands:

Well, I feel exactly the same as Susan does,

but she is much better at wording her thoughts.

I'm the kind of person who will toss in a joke to lighten things.

I was once new to GALS.

I was afraid my craziness and oddball sense of humor wouldn't be understood.

But here I found the most cherished friends I will ever have in my life.

I guess when I see someone down, I (insert joke here) to try to lighten the mood.

I hope no one thinks it's to take away from the issue at hand, I'm just all about the love. ::D:

I mean, people on this board can come together and form friendships that rival "real life" relationships.

We don't just get together and discuss Gerry, but we rally together in time of need.

I could go on and on for days at the feeling of family that we have here.

My Mom died this year, and 80% of the strength I found came from this site.

And that is no exaggeration!

Marcia, welcome to GALS!

Stop by the support center.

Everyone checks in there everyday (at least they should! )

and that's a great place to say "Howdy!"

This site has gotten so big, so fast, but we wouldn't have gotten this way

without each and every person who joined!

For you to take the time to join here, that says to us that you want to be

a friend to this site. We love our members, and I know I speak for everyone

when I say,"Hope to see you around!"

Susan, as always you respond with great honesty and sum everything up.

Wish I could form my thoughts like you! :hugs:

I'm better at being the GALS Jester... :laugh4:

Bethy

Bethy! By the time I posted, you'd posted an eloquent message! Wow! Lovely!!

As to yummy looking priests...growing up, ah, we had quite a few hotties in our Parish...

matter of fact two left the priesthood for parishoners! Oh! :doh:

Anyway...this Priest has a love past, so :cunning: maybe we can hope for some :heat: love scenes in flashbacks?? :tasty:

I agree.

Bethy

OK so this is an aside to a serious issue but Bethy the instant image of Gerry doing a "Preparation H" commercial gave me the giggles! Leave it to you to help us all smile. Thanks for the levity. :claphands:

Marcia,

I can empathize with what you've expressed though I have not gone back and read the history of the posts leading up to this, what I consider a pretty serious topic, acceptance. I find it anxiety provoking still, as a relatively outgoing woman in middle age, to be the new kid on the block. I'm also part of GB.net my first Gerry home, and McHeathers a cute little group started here in Houston. But with each new group it felt uncomfortable in a way to begin. Sometimes it was because I felt my posts were being ignored but in fact they were just not the ones to which there were responses. Timing on any site is part of it and part of it may just be that what I said didn't register with anyone or hit folks between the eyes. At each of the sites to which I belong I can tell you EXACTLY the first time I received what I considered my first positive response to a comment I made and at that moment I was instantly a proud 5 year old in kindergarten! Because this whole Gerry thing makes many of us feel emotionally and spiritually vulnerable I think folks often, everywhere at times, want to "speak" to those they already know. I've learned to use what I gleaned from 12 step programs more than 20 + years ago. I take what I like and leave the rest! I also work very hard to not take others people's behavior personally, even if they mean it to be! So Marcia I hope you'll stay here and give GALS a try a bit longer and maybe in the years to come you'll remember this incident, these feelings, with an ironic smile. Take care and my best to you whatever you decide to do!

Ardeth

Hi, Ardeth! Thank you for a lovely and warm response. I appreciate it more than you know. I think you hit the nail on the head when you used the term "vulnerable." I have been feeling very much so this past few months, and had really looked forward to making new friends here. I think I set myself up and then probably overreacted as a result. I will try to learn from that! It has been a tough spring for me...starting with serious surgery, then heart issues, then my father passed away, and now I have FLUNKED my mammogram, eeek. NOT that this is any excuse, just that it has left me feeling VERY vulnerable, indeed. I tend to lean heavily on my Escape Valve (GERRY'S movies, particularly the Phantom) when I'm this stressed out. And I was over-eager to make new friends here at GALS.

I will try to remember you kind words in the future. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day, and I will be ready for some fun here. I will be more patient, too!!

Thank you again,

Hugs,

Marcia

It has been a tough spring for me...starting with serious surgery, then heart issues, then my father passed away, and now I have FLUNKED my mammogram, eeek.

Oh, Marcia! yikes!

Please post in the prayers forum...and we'll be rallying around!

I will add you to my prayers.

:hug99:

~Barb

It has been a tough spring for me...starting with serious surgery, then heart issues, then my father passed away, and now I have FLUNKED my mammogram, eeek.

Oh, Marcia! yikes!

~Barb

Absolutely!

Oh, Marcia! yikes!

~Barb

Absolutely!

:kisswink: Hi Marcia I will say a prayer for you and we all here will surely do the same! We ARE family. God Bless you! :wub:

I agree.

Bethy

Well, I feel exactly the same as Susan does,

but she is much better at wording her thoughts.

I'm the kind of person who will toss in a joke to lighten things.

I was once new to GALS.

I was afraid my craziness and oddball sense of humor wouldn't be understood.

But here I found the most cherished friends I will ever have in my life.

I guess when I see someone down, I (insert joke here) to try to lighten the mood.

I hope no one thinks it's to take away from the issue at hand, I'm just all about the love. ::D:

I mean, people on this board can come together and form friendships that rival "real life" relationships.

We don't just get together and discuss Gerry, but we rally together in time of need.

I could go on and on for days at feeling of family that we have here.

My Mom died this year, and 80% of the strength I found came from this site.

And that is no exaggeration!

Marcia, welcome to GALS!

Stop by the support center.

Everyone checks in there everyday (at least they should! )

and that's a great place to say "Howdy!"

This site has gotten so big, so fast, but we wouldn't have gotten this way

without each and every person who joined!

For you to take the time to join here, that says to us that you want to be

a friend to this site. We love our members, and I know I speak for everyone

when I say,"Hope to see you around!"

Susan, as always you respond with great honesty and sum everything up.

Wish I could form my thoughts like you! :hugs:

I'm better at being the GALS Jester... :laugh4:

Bethy

Hi, Bethy! Thank you so much for your kind comments! That's the kind of post I had been hoping to see for the last three weeks or so. I truly appreciate it, VERY much! I will try to make a habit of checking in at the Support Center, and see if I can't get to know some of you better. I have read enough already to WANT to know you all, but I was truly feeling lost and alone out there. And I'm sure that made my reactions today much more extreme, shall we say, than they would ordinarily have been.

I DO want to post regularly and be part of the family, and I DO want to talk about Priest and Terese Raquin and Phantom and all things Gerry. I know firsthand the type of lasting friendships that can form from a group like this. And I cherish some of those types of friendships to this day (formed during earlier obsessions).

And someday, I also want to hug the neck that GERRY HUGGED so warmly at the Vegas convention! I've studied that photo at length, Dear Heart...and the sight of his head buried in your neck makes my knees weak. (Well not because it's YOUR neck...but because I wish it were MINE!)

Thank you again for your post. I'm feeling better by the minute. And before I close, may I just say that what I LONG to see Gerry do is act in a movie where he gets to be a vampire-killing, husband-murdering, romantically funny Preparation H salesman! Who holds off an army of 10,000 with one hand (and a well developed chest), while trying to rescue his kidnapped daughter with the other! That should about cover it all, right?

Hugs,

Marcia

I agree.

Bethy

Marcia,

I can empathize with what you've expressed though I have not gone back and read the history of the posts leading up to this, what I consider a pretty serious topic, acceptance. I find it anxiety provoking still, as a relatively outgoing woman in middle age, to be the new kid on the block. I'm also part of GB.net my first Gerry home, and McHeathers a cute little group started here in Houston. But with each new group it felt uncomfortable in a way to begin. Sometimes it was because I felt my posts were being ignored but in fact they were just not the ones to which there were responses. Timing on any site is part of it and part of it may just be that what I said didn't register with anyone or hit folks between the eyes. At each of the sites to which I belong I can tell you EXACTLY the first time I received what I considered my first positive response to a comment I made and at that moment I was instantly a proud 5 year old in kindergarten! Because this whole Gerry thing makes many of us feel emotionally and spiritually vulnerable I think folks often, everywhere at times, want to "speak" to those they already know. I've learned to use what I gleaned from 12 step programs more than 20 + years ago. I take what I like and leave the rest! I also work very hard to not take others people's behavior personally, even if they mean it to be! So Marcia I hope you'll stay here and give GALS a try a bit longer and maybe in the years to come you'll remember this incident, these feelings, with an ironic smile. Take care and my best to you whatever you decide to do!

Ardeth

Hi, Ardeth! Thank you for a lovely and warm response. I appreciate it more than you know. I think you hit the nail on the head when you used the term "vulnerable." I have been feeling very much so this past few months, and had really looked forward to making new friends here. I think I set myself up and then probably overreacted as a result. I will try to learn from that! It has been a tough spring for me...starting with serious surgery, then heart issues, then my father passed away, and now I have FLUNKED my mammogram, eeek. NOT that this is any excuse, just that it has left me feeling VERY vulnerable, indeed. I tend to lean heavily on my Escape Valve (GERRY'S movies, particularly the Phantom) when I'm this stressed out. And I was over-eager to make new friends here at GALS.

I will try to remember you kind words in the future. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day, and I will be ready for some fun here. I will be more patient, too!!

Thank you again,

Hugs,

Marcia

I just PM'd you Marcia! Take care. You are in all our prayers! Promise.

Ardeth

Oh, Ardeth -- can I be like you when I grow up?! LOL -- you are such a warm soul!

As for MaNature and Tilzey - it pains me to think you've felt left out here at Gals. I'm registered everywhere, too. Gals is "home." You are correct in realizing that some serious bonding happened in Vegas! I hope that you hang around and join us in Vegas again (it's only 49 weeks away) so that we may enlarge our circle of friends with your bondage, also (Ok. So maybe that didn't come out quite right ...)

I have no idea if I'm speaking for other gals which consider this site "home," but I will say this... in the time what we have now started referring to as "PV" (post-vegas) this site has grown dramatically. Personally, I have tried to extend a welcome to everyone -- but the new arrival rate has been overwhelming. There's no way to catch everyone. If you've been "slighted" in some way, I would ask that you continue to post. Let us get to know each other. (Some have been members since last July, but only have 5 posts -- it's hard to banter back and forth with someone if they're not jumping in all that often). I'm rambling and I'm sorry. I just hope you give this site to envelope you as it has so many others. And don't be afraid to jump into chat, either. We LOVE newbies!

Holly aka Spot

Hi, Holly! Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate your taking the time to explain some of this to me, and I want you to know that between your post and several others tonight, I feel much better about everything. Maybe I CAN go to Vegas next time...but I'm not much into the bondage thing! ::D: Okay, maybe ONE handcuff, with Gerry on the other end...but that's IT!

It's nice to hear how you all feel about this website and the friendships you have made here. That gives me hope that I'll finally make some friends here, too.

Thank you again for responding! It means a great deal to me!

Hugs,

Marcia

Thank you again for your post. I'm feeling better by the minute. And before I close, may I just say that what I LONG to see Gerry do is act in a movie where he gets to be a vampire-killing, husband-murdering, romantically funny Preparation H salesman! Who holds off an army of 10,000 with one hand (and a well developed chest), while trying to rescue his kidnapped daughter with the other! That should about cover it all, right?

Hugs,

Marcia[/font][/size]

What a GREAT sense of humor you have Marcia!!!! Glad it's been set free!!!! You will be welcomed here ALWAYS!!! We Gerry fans LOVE to laugh!!

Ardeth

But I'd love to see him do this. It sounds perfect for him: Forbidden love, tortured soul, questioning authority and religion -- Go, Gerry, GO!

Cara

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

I'm so excited, I can't control myself!

BETHY

Oh Bethy you naughty girl. :pant::pant::pant: You ROCK woman. Love the picture. :licky:

Cassie

While I'm not familiar with the comic book this is based on, I think it sounds like an interesting movie all around. The sexual tension of a fallen priest doesn't hurt either. lol

Gerry is paid to be an entertainer, which is what he does best. I've seen and enjoyed several films of his that I may not have paid any attention to otherwise if they had someone else in them instead. While this film is probably not for everyone, there's nothing wrong with that. The same can easily be said of his past works as well. It would boring if everyone liked the same type of thing and there was absolutely no diversity. It's good for an actor to stretch out and do things they haven't done before, and reach those prospective audiences in the process. That kind of thing is what sets Gerry and others apart from the rest. Because there are movie stars out there that they basically play themselves in every single role they take and the only things that change are the character's names and the scenery or whatever. But with Gerry, when I'm watching Attila or Phantom, etc, I don't see a character from another film there. Gerry fully becomes Attila, Erik, etc. I don't have any doubts that he will do the same with this project or any other. It's his decision what roles he chooses to take and what to skip and sofar I haven't seen him go wrong even if something may not be entirely my taste.

For what it's worth, I think he'd be great in a comedy, whether romantic or otherwise, but it would have to be well written. Which for me is odd because I usually find comedies to be painful to sit through. But I fully appreciate a great sense of humor, which he certainly has. For example in Reign of Fire, the film is pretty dark to begin with but a number of his lines had me rolling on the floor giggling due to his delivery of them, even though they weren't necessarily intended to be comical at all.

That said, there are certain genres I can't quite see him in easily but that doesn't mean he would suck at them. His medieval and Victorian films for example, he looks like he really belongs in those time periods. Other actors out there would stick out like a sore thumb in the same role or genre.

As long as he continues to make films, I'll definitely go see them because I trust his judgement and appreciate his talents and that he doesn't stick to just one type of thing every time.

Edited by Sirena

Marcia~

I hope you are now beginning to feel on your way to making friends here. As Bethy mentioned the love and support she got here when her mom passed away earlier this year likewise I was held close and comforted last week when my husband suddenly had to be hospitalized while we were on our long-planned 15th anniversary vacation cruise to Alaska. As I stood alone, in the rain, with all of our luggage at the end of the pier after being disembarked in Juneau, it was the lifeline of GALS that kept me from falling apart. I was able to call a couple of my darling GALS and they let me know that my husband was being prayed for and I was being sent so much love. Without that I don't think I could have made it through.

If you start sharing both your humor and your concerns with us in the Support Center then it shouldn't take long at all before you start to feel completely a part of this whole FANmily phenomenon we talk about. Though each "floor" of the Support Center has a "theme" you are free to post about anything there - Gerry-related or personal. You'll also get to enjoy lots of wonderful Gerry pictures which many of the GALS post regularly as a "treatment" for GALS (a condition for which we do not seek a cure).

Believe me I fully understand the feeling of being outside and even I - who you can see is member #2 of this site - second only to Dr. Em who started the site - can get to feeling vulnerable in that way. I was the kid in junior high school who was on the outside looking in and the pain of that rears its ugly head every once in awhile, even here. Sometimes I may find myself in a thread where there appears to be a lot of banter going on between just two or three people and I may just leave it and go to another part of the forum, or if I'm feeling really feisty I'll just barge in and force myself into their conversation, or if they seem to be "speaking in code" I'll tell them (in a humorous way) to knock it off and talk so we all understand.

And for all you who were raised Catholic - so was I - but I remember the priest I saw when I was just a little girl. He had white hair and the most electric blue eyes. He was the most handsome man I'd ever seen at that point in my life and I remember asking my mother in church "Is he God?" Because of course only God could be that beautiful!! Well, now there is a new vision for this much more "experienced and mature" woman (and thankfully I'm no longer a practicing Catholic so I won't need to go to confession over the less-than-pure thoughts that pop into my head at the vision of Gerry in cleric's collar!)

Marcia~

I hope you are now beginning to feel on your way to making friends here. As Bethy mentioned the love and support she got here when her mom passed away earlier this year likewise I was held close and comforted last week when my husband suddenly had to be hospitalized while we were on our long-planned 15th anniversary vacation cruise to Alaska. As I stood alone, in the rain, with all of our luggage at the end of the pier after being disembarked in Juneau, it was the lifeline of GALS that kept me from falling apart. I was able to call a couple of my darling GALS and they let me know that my husband was being prayed for and I was being sent so much love. Without that I don't think I could have made it through.

If you start sharing both your humor and your concerns with us in the Support Center then it shouldn't take long at all before you start to feel completely a part of this whole FANmily phenomenon we talk about. Though each "floor" of the Support Center has a "theme" you are free to post about anything there - Gerry-related or personal. You'll also get to enjoy lots of wonderful Gerry pictures which many of the GALS post regularly as a "treatment" for GALS (a condition for which we do not seek a cure).

Believe me I fully understand the feeling of being outside and even I - who you can see is member #2 of this site - second only to Dr. Em who started the site - can get to feeling vulnerable in that way. I was the kid in junior high school who was on the outside looking in and the pain of that rears its ugly head every once in awhile, even here. Sometimes I may find myself in a thread where there appears to be a lot of banter going on between just two or three people and I may just leave it and go to another part of the forum, or if I'm feeling really feisty I'll just barge in and force myself into their conversation, or if they seem to be "speaking in code" I'll tell them (in a humorous way) to knock it off and talk so we all understand.

And for all you who were raised Catholic - so was I - but I remember the priest I saw when I was just a little girl. He had white hair and the most electric blue eyes. He was the most handsome man I'd ever seen at that point in my life and I remember asking my mother in church "Is he God?" Because of course only God could be that beautiful!! Well, now there is a new vision for this much more "experienced and mature" woman (and thankfully I'm no longer a practicing Catholic so I won't need to go to confession over the less-than-pure thoughts that pop into my head at the vision of Gerry in cleric's collar!)

Thank you again, Susan. I appreciate your kindness from the bottom of my heart. I will tell myself that I was feeling low and reacted much more strongly than I would have done on a "normal" day, and I will give myself a bit more time to get to know you all.

The posts here last night and the private emails I got let me know I was not alone in my feelings, and that others have experienced it too, but that in the end, they all settled in and feel at home here, now. I sincerely hope that will be the case with me.

I would just like to feel that when I post something I think is well thought out, someone actually READS what I've said before jumping in to tell me we should all respect Gerry, as though I have not done so. That was what I was hearing, even though I have always respected him and his work. And I DO respect his right to choose any role he WANTS to play, including Priest. But I also respect my right to wonder out loud if it is a good career choice at this point. I tried to express my doubts in a kind way, and to also say I would always try to keep an open mind, but my sense of it was that I had committed a grievous error in even asking the question. I am going to try to assume that was not anyone's intent, and that I read things wrong.

As for the sense of humor thing, that was another problem. I have always known my role in life was to provide Comic Relief, but when I tried to post a few funny lines or pics or the like, I didn't get any response at all. That really threw me. Again, I am going to assume that it just takes time for others to get to know new members, and I'll spend some time in the Support Center, trying to get to know you all BACK.

I truly appreciate your taking the time to talk to me about this, and share some of your experiences with the group, too. You must have been out of your mind with worry, finding yourself stranded like that. I know from personal experience that belonging to a group of cyber friends can be a life saver in tough times, and I'm glad for you that you had your GALS buddies to help you through. I hope someday I will feel that "included" in the love and friendship that seems abundant here.

Have a great day!

Hugs,

Marcia

Edited by Ma Nature

Marcia,

You've been through a lot and I sympathize with you. You'll be in my prayers. I'm a newbie myself and this site is the main one I go to. I hope you have a much more enjoyable time from here on.

Don't give up! I would love to read more of your funny stuff. It's just that you may have to space it out a little more or else it might get lost in your post. I am a writer too so I can be long-winded but I noticed if I put too much in a post some things in the middle get lost. :)

And don't be afraid to tell us what you're going through or that you need support. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have known. Thanks for sharing from your heart.

Marcia,

You've been through a lot and I sympathize with you. You'll be in my prayers. I'm a newbie myself and this site is the main one I go to. I hope you have a much more enjoyable time from here on.

Don't give up! I would love to read more of your funny stuff. It's just that you may have to space it out a little more or else it might get lost in your post. I am a writer too so I can be long-winded but I noticed if I put too much in a post some things in the middle get lost. :)

And don't be afraid to tell us what you're going through or that you need support. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have known. Thanks for sharing from your heart.

Thank you for your kind words, Lady T. I appreciate it very much. Yes, I understand the pitfalls of being wordy, but when I'm discussing something serious, I can't seem to help it. Generally, when I do something I think might be funny, I do tend to make it shorter and more to the point (or punchline). I'll try to watch it even more closely, though. It's good advice.

Nice to "meet" you! And I hope to get to know you better.

Hugs,

Marcia