Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Fanmail

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Hiya, I hope someone can help me out. I wrote to Gerry about 4 months ago and i got a reply yesterday which has upset me so much that i broke down in tears. What hurt so much was that i put my all into my letter to him and to receive a photocopy of a computer printout as a reply has pretty much broken my heart. I'm getting choked up just writing this so i'm sorry if i go on too much. I have so much admiration and respect for him that it's really difficult to believe that my letter ment so little to him that he couldn't write even a quick note. Don't get me wrong i understand the constaints he's under with his time and how crazy things are for him at the moment, i just hoped he might care enough to at least put my name at the top and sign it. I hope i don't sound ungrateful because i'm not, i was just very disappointed and feel so let down. I know some fans would be thrilled to get any kind of reply, but it was so impersonal and without any feeling that i can't understand it. I keep thinking maybe he hasn't read my letter and someone that works for him has just sent out a standard response, maybe whoever reads this could help me, someone who knows whether he does ever get his mail or not. What makes me think it was from him is that the post-mark on the envelope was from Gatwick which is an airport just outside of London. I know i've probably expected too much from him, it's just going to take some time to stop feeling so low and like i've been slapped in the face. :cry: :cry: :cry:

:hugs: to you whatsunderyerkilt. I'm sorry to hear that you feel so disappointed and let down. I've never written a letter to Gerry, other than the group gift that we delivered in Vegas, so I haven't had that experience. To be honest, I'm guessing that he doesn't get much of an opportunity to read fan mail much these days with the shedule that he keeps with his movies. I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing. I think the life of a celebrity is probably a lot more complicated than any of us would imagine. You are probably right that it was someone that works for him or his agency that put the response in the mail. Please don't take it as a personal slap in the face because I'm sure it wasn't intended that way.

I hope you stick around here at GALS and enjoy your time. We love talking about Gerry but we've also developed some wonderful friendships with each other. Hope that you will too. Take care of yourself.

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

:hugs: to you whatsunderyerkilt. I'm sorry to hear that you feel so disappointed and let down. I've never written a letter to Gerry, other than the group gift that we delivered in Vegas, so I haven't had that experience. To be honest, I'm guessing that he doesn't get much of an opportunity to read fan mail much these days with the shedule that he keeps with his movies. I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing. I think the life of a celebrity is probably a lot more complicated than any of us would imagine. You are probably right that it was someone that works for him or his agency that put the response in the mail. Please don't take it as a personal slap in the face because I'm sure it wasn't intended that way.

I hope you stick around here at GALS and enjoy your time. We love talking about Gerry but we've also developed some wonderful friendships with each other. Hope that you will too. Take care of yourself.

:hugs: Back to you hun. Thank you so much for your kindness, your words have really helped me. Reading what you wrote has got me all teary again, but because you cared enough to leave a message without even knowing me. The last couple of days have been really hard, i'm not going to lie and say i wasn't very, very hurt, but what you say about his mail makes sense, so thank you for giving me some hope. I refuse to believe what i (and i'm sure many others) had written to him didn't mean anything. You would have to be uncaring and cruel to ignore such heartfelt feelings from people and i don't believe Gerry is like that for one second. He seemed so genuinely caring, friendly and kind to you all in Vegas that it would have to be a different person to send something so impersonal to fans that i think actually do mean a lot to him. Thank you again for caring and i hope to chat to you again.

Warm wishes and kind regards

Simone :wave: :erikrose:

:hug99: Simone...

I understand your feeling, completely!

Even though we know in our hearts that Gerry could not possibly read every piece of fan mail he receives these days (before Phantom, I'm betting it was a much more manageable amount), he still appreciates all the love and support contained in them.

I used to work as a personal assistant to a man who received hundreds of correspondence per day...it was my job to read all of them, make notes where applicable, and then give him a 'nut in a nutshell' rundown of them, and any that required special attention were in a special folder that we went over together. We usually allowed two hours a day for correspondence, and it was tough to keep up. :bonk: My guess is Gerry has someone doing some sorting of his at the fan mail service he utilizes, and they pass on the ones that need 'action' or are the type that Gerry would want to see personally. Just a guess on my part.

He also has a lot of other folks who need 'just a minute' of his time, bankers, agents, management, friends, family, etc...and I bet his days are never 'boring' or without something pressing to do! And then there are the public appearances, the meetings with the movie types, studying/reviewing scripts and filming. Oh, yeah, and little :lolita: too! :;):

I hope you don't get too discouraged...he does care about his fans and he does appreciate our support and love! I think that's one of the reasons he's so giving when fans see him in public...because he wants to give a bit of himself to everyone and show his thanks. :inlove: I'm not being as eloquent as I'd like, but I hope you know what I'm trying to say. ::D:

Come here and vent, play and have some fun....and keep in mind that Gerry does look around the various

sites every once in a while :pointy: and that so does Tonya!

:hug:

Barb

Hi Simone,

I am sorry your feelings were hurt by the response you received from Gerry's service. I have never sent Gerry a letter, but my son and I created a special CD of our original music just for him. I have prepared myself that I will probably never hear from him, regarding that CD.... but after meeting him in Vegas, and seeing him interact with other fans, I would like to assure you, that Gerry is a kind and caring man.

The reality is, that we as his fans all have our personal stories.... and he has touched and inspired many of us in very profound ways. So many in fact, that although he would like to, I am certain it is impossible for him to respond to every lovely letter or gift he receives.

Remember that this dear man called a fan on Christmas day, because her mother was dying. He did this while he was on holiday with his family. He did this because he cares.

Have faith in him Simone... he is who you believe him to be.

Swan

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

:hug99: Simone...

I understand your feeling, completely!

Even though we know in our hearts that Gerry could not possibly read every piece of fan mail he receives these days (before Phantom, I'm betting it was a much more manageable amount), he still appreciates all the love and support contained in them.

I used to work as a personal assistant to a man who received hundreds of correspondence per day...it was my job to read all of them, make notes where applicable, and then give him a 'nut in a nutshell' rundown of them, and any that required special attention were in a special folder that we went over together. We usually allowed two hours a day for correspondence, and it was tough to keep up. :bonk: My guess is Gerry has someone doing some sorting of his at the fan mail service he utilizes, and they pass on the ones that need 'action' or are the type that Gerry would want to see personally. Just a guess on my part.

He also has a lot of other folks who need 'just a minute' of his time, bankers, agents, management, friends, family, etc...and I bet his days are never 'boring' or without something pressing to do! And then there are the public appearances, the meetings with the movie types, studying/reviewing scripts and filming. Oh, yeah, and little :lolita: too! :;):

I hope you don't get too discouraged...he does care about his fans and he does appreciate our support and love! I think that's one of the reasons he's so giving when fans see him in public...because he wants to give a bit of himself to everyone and show his thanks. :inlove: I'm not being as eloquent as I'd like, but I hope you know what I'm trying to say. ::D:

Come here and vent, play and have some fun....and keep in mind that Gerry does look around the various

sites every once in a while :pointy: and that so does Tonya!

:hug:

Barb

:wave: Thank you so much for your message, but i must stop crying every time i get one. I can't help it i've been so moved by all the good will and kindness from my new friends. I completely understand that the Great Scot is 'slightly' busy at the moment and i think i just got a bit carried away and hoped too much for a response. From what you said about Gerry possibly having the important letters sent to him, i guess that means mine wasn't special enough. He must have so much and they all must say lovely things that maybe it's only the one's that really stand out that get passed on! It just really hurt to have given your heart and soul in a letter and to not get any kind of recognition back. I only ever wanted him to know what caring about him has done for me. It may sound sad or melodromatic, but i feel like i'm starting to come back to life again. Thank you sooooooooooooooo much again for taking the time to message me i appreciate it more than you could know. I'll never forget everyone's kindness to me.

All the very best to you Barb :yourock::thankyou::hugs: Simone x

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Hi Simone,

I am sorry your feelings were hurt by the response you received from Gerry's service. I have never sent Gerry a letter, but my son and I created a special CD of our original music just for him. I have prepared myself that I will probably never hear from him, regarding that CD.... but after meeting him in Vegas, and seeing him interact with other fans, I would like to assure you, that Gerry is a kind and caring man.

The reality is, that we as his fans all have our personal stories.... and he has touched and inspired many of us in very profound ways. So many in fact, that although he would like to, I am certain it is impossible for him to respond to every lovely letter or gift he receives.

Remember that this dear man called a fan on Christmas day, because her mother was dying. He did this while he was on holiday with his family. He did this because he cares.

Have faith in him Simone... he is who you believe him to be.

Swan

:wave:

Hi Swan. I hope with all my heart i've not offended or upset anyone by what i wrote, i was still hurting a lot and i never meant to sound ungrateful or that i'd suddenly stopped caring. The truth is i don't think i ever will. I was just confused after seeing how lovely he was to you and Bethy and Abrock in Vegas. It was only because of how much of myself i put in my letter to him that i was so upset. I have nothing but respect for Gerry and for you and all the GALS. I feel guilty now because there are so many of you who obviously deserve regognition so much more than me. I haven't lost my mum like Bethy (my heart goes out to her). That was such a lovely thing for him to do for her and my genuine admiration, affection and utmost respect for him grow by the day. Thank you for your message it means so much to me and i hope this finds you and your son doing well. I'm so glad your dreams came true in Vegas, you obviously very much deserve it.

Kindest Regards

Simone x :thankyou: :hug99:

Don't feel bad about expressing your feelings here, Simone... we understand. GALS welcomes thoughtful and heartfelt posts. I guess I feel like a cheerleader for Gerry now.... and it is important to me, that people realize what a beautiful soul he is.

I am glad you shared with us! Please make yourself at home here!

Swan

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Don't feel bad about expressing your feelings here, Simone... we understand. GALS welcomes thoughtful and heartfelt posts. I guess I feel like a cheerleader for Gerry now.... and it is important to me, that people realize what a beautiful soul he is.

I am glad you shared with us! Please make yourself at home here!

Swan

Thank you Swan. I feel like i'm talking to a celebrity messaging you. I'm glad to have heard from you it really does put a lot into perpsective. With what some of the GALS have gone through, i have nothing to moan about really do i? Hope Gerry knows what a friend he's got in you and i hope you get your wish to sing for him, (i'm not sure if he saw you perform in Vegas).

All the very best to you always

:hugs: Simone x

:welcome: Simone! :wave: Glad you're here at GALS. I think you'll find a lot of great friends here.

I, too, wrote a letter to Gerry...a very personal letter...about a year ago I think. It was several months before I received a response (in the self-addressed postage paid envelope that I provided). It was a typed message with Gerry's signature (and yes, it looked like a photocopy) briefly telling what was happening in his career and being regretful that he could not personally answer every letter, along with a photocopied autographed picture.

Please understand that there is no doubt in my mind, that if Gerry had the time, he would read

EVERY SINGLE LETTER and see EVERY GIFT that is sent to him, AND REPLY PERSONALLY to each of them.

We all have to understand though, that it is just not humanly possible, even for the Superhuman G-Man!

Have you ever given someone a gift, and you never received a thank you note for it? I guess in this day and time, it's not as much expected, but since I'm a Southern gal, it's still a thing that's is done around these parts. I've given graduation gifts, etc. from time to time, and I've gotten a little ticked off that I didn't receive a thank-you note. It's times like those that I have to stop and ask myself, "Did I give a gift, expecting something in return? If so, perhaps I should rethink my motives for giving."

I'm just trying to say, Simone, that you gave something precious and wonderful of YOURSELF to Gerry by pouring out your heart in a letter. That's a wonderful thing. Didn't you feel better just for the fact that you wrote down your feelings and shared them with someone who is special to you? It wasn't that your letter didn't mean anything to Gerry. Since his popularity has grown, he's had to hire a mail service to handle the heavy volume of fanmail. He at least wants his fans to get something from him that lets them know that their mail reached him.

I believe that Gerry must feel quite overwhelmed by our support of him and probably has a lot of self-doubts and asks himself 'why do these people care so much, they don't even know me?'

And that's the facts of the matter...as much as we adore him and support him, we do not really know Gerry, and he does not really know us. Yet he is kind enough to put himself out there for us as much as possible without totally giving up what's left of a 'normal' life for himself. That's a lot of pressure to put on one human being. I believe he's doing as much as he can to stay in touch with his fans, his team as he put it, and to thank us all for the support. But we cannot realistically expect him to be able to read every letter he receives.

I hope you will stick around GALS and develop some friendships here. That is what I have done, and when these folks give you their support, I can assure you, it's more than just words! Perhaps we can help soothe your heart and provide a support system for you, too. :hug99:

Respectfully yours,

Katie

~Songbird

Hi Simone and welcome to GALS. I'm so sorry that you are feeling hurt by not receiving a personal response from Gerry to your letter and I'm certain that he would never want you or any fan to feel that way. As the others have said it is just not humanly possible for him to give that kind of attention individually as much as he would like to.

I have never sent a letter to Gerry's agency in London and therefore I have never gotten a response. However I was one of the fans who put a card and letter into a gift that was given to him after the last Leno show, and I also put together a project last year, over a period of 6 months, of postcards to Gerry that came from fans all over the world. It contained a letter and a gift from me as well as over 200 postcards that were put into plastic sleeves that would allow him to see the beautiful pictures and read the messages without having to take them out. The completed book was Fed Ex'ed to him at the studio when he was still in Montreal and all I asked was if he could have someone please let me know he got it. I never heard anything (but through my own pushing I did manage to get someone who is in contact with him to find out that he did personally receive it). It didn't disappoint me not to hear, but I would love to know if he ever read the messages sent to him by all those fans who love him. Other people have prepared all sorts of special gifts that have been sent to him (books, scrapbooks, CD's, etc) and I don't know of any of them who got any sort of personal response either. Soon he will probably need an entire warehouse just for the gifts that are sent to him!

I try to put myself in the other person's shoes, as much as my imagination will allow me to, when evaluating my expectations. I know the address in London receives so many letters, probably hundreds a day, all for Gerry. His performances have touched and impacted so very many people's lives in very profound ways, and I would think that many, many letters (probably hundreds a week) contain the heart and soul of each person who wrote. But if Gerry had to make time to respond, even in a minimal way, to each of those letters he would probably never get anything else done - like making new movies that will touch even more lives and inspire even more letters. And how would he or anyone who works for him go through each of those touching and heartfelt letters and decide which few should get a personal response? If he responded to even a few a week then the other several hundred would feel as you do now, that someone else's letter mattered more. So the alternative is to make sure that each fan who sends a letter gets a response, even though it is the same response to everyone. He could have his service stop doing that and then there would be no acknowledgement that the letter was received. He does say that when he has time he goes through his letters, but just the reading time alone must be enormous. To then have to write out just a few words to each would be impossible. But we know he has a huge heart and he truly does care, and I'm certain he is deeply touched by the outpouring of feelings that he reads in the letters.

Hopefully this puts it in a perspective that makes it hurt a little less. And you always have the rest of us here who can share in the love and admiration of all that is Gerry.

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Hi Simone and welcome to GALS. I'm so sorry that you are feeling hurt by not receiving a personal response from Gerry to your letter and I'm certain that he would never want you or any fan to feel that way. As the others have said it is just not humanly possible for him to give that kind of attention individually as much as he would like to.

I have never sent a letter to Gerry's agency in London and therefore I have never gotten a response. However I was one of the fans who put a card and letter into a gift that was given to him after the last Leno show, and I also put together a project last year, over a period of 6 months, of postcards to Gerry that came from fans all over the world. It contained a letter and a gift from me as well as over 200 postcards that were put into plastic sleeves that would allow him to see the beautiful pictures and read the messages without having to take them out. The completed book was Fed Ex'ed to him at the studio when he was still in Montreal and all I asked was if he could have someone please let me know he got it. I never heard anything (but through my own pushing I did manage to get someone who is in contact with him to find out that he did personally receive it). It didn't disappoint me not to hear, but I would love to know if he ever read the messages sent to him by all those fans who love him. Other people have prepared all sorts of special gifts that have been sent to him (books, scrapbooks, CD's, etc) and I don't know of any of them who got any sort of personal response either. Soon he will probably need an entire warehouse just for the gifts that are sent to him!

I try to put myself in the other person's shoes, as much as my imagination will allow me to, when evaluating my expectations. I know the address in London receives so many letters, probably hundreds a day, all for Gerry. His performances have touched and impacted so very many people's lives in very profound ways, and I would think that many, many letters (probably hundreds a week) contain the heart and soul of each person who wrote. But if Gerry had to make time to respond, even in a minimal way, to each of those letters he would probably never get anything else done - like making new movies that will touch even more lives and inspire even more letters. And how would he or anyone who works for him go through each of those touching and heartfelt letters and decide which few should get a personal response? If he responded to even a few a week then the other several hundred would feel as you do now, that someone else's letter mattered more. So the alternative is to make sure that each fan who sends a letter gets a response, even though it is the same response to everyone. He could have his service stop doing that and then there would be no acknowledgement that the letter was received. He does say that when he has time he goes through his letters, but just the reading time alone must be enormous. To then have to write out just a few words to each would be impossible. But we know he has a huge heart and he truly does care, and I'm certain he is deeply touched by the outpouring of feelings that he reads in the letters.

Hopefully this puts it in a perspective that makes it hurt a little less. And you always have the rest of us here who can share in the love and admiration of all that is Gerry.

:wave: Hello, Thank you for your message. I've been so completely overwhelmed by everyones caring heartfelt wishes, i just hope i've been able to show you all what it's ment to me. Please don't think for one second that i think i'm more deserving than others or that i'm special, far from it. Like you it would have ment so much just to know he actually received it. I'm so glad you did get some recognition of your hard work, it's just a shame that you had to keep asking. I very much appreciate your words and i do understand how crazy things are for his royal lovelyness and i know i would find it so very hard to know what to do for the best in his position. I wouldn't want the job deciding who deserved a response more. Thank you again for taking the time to write to me it means so very much.

All the very best :hugs: Simone x

Edited by whatsunderyerkilt

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

:welcome: Simone! :wave: Glad you're here at GALS. I think you'll find a lot of great friends here.

I, too, wrote a letter to Gerry...a very personal letter...about a year ago I think. It was several months before I received a response (in the self-addressed postage paid envelope that I provided). It was a typed message with Gerry's signature (and yes, it looked like a photocopy) briefly telling what was happening in his career and being regretful that he could not personally answer every letter, along with a photocopied autographed picture.

Please understand that there is no doubt in my mind, that if Gerry had the time, he would read

EVERY SINGLE LETTER and see EVERY GIFT that is sent to him, AND REPLY PERSONALLY to each of them.

We all have to understand though, that it is just not humanly possible, even for the Superhuman G-Man!

Have you ever given someone a gift, and you never received a thank you note for it? I guess in this day and time, it's not as much expected, but since I'm a Southern gal, it's still a thing that's is done around these parts. I've given graduation gifts, etc. from time to time, and I've gotten a little ticked off that I didn't receive a thank-you note. It's times like those that I have to stop and ask myself, "Did I give a gift, expecting something in return? If so, perhaps I should rethink my motives for giving."

I'm just trying to say, Simone, that you gave something precious and wonderful of YOURSELF to Gerry by pouring out your heart in a letter. That's a wonderful thing. Didn't you feel better just for the fact that you wrote down your feelings and shared them with someone who is special to you? It wasn't that your letter didn't mean anything to Gerry. Since his popularity has grown, he's had to hire a mail service to handle the heavy volume of fanmail. He at least wants his fans to get something from him that lets them know that their mail reached him.

I believe that Gerry must feel quite overwhelmed by our support of him and probably has a lot of self-doubts and asks himself 'why do these people care so much, they don't even know me?'

And that's the facts of the matter...as much as we adore him and support him, we do not really know Gerry, and he does not really know us. Yet he is kind enough to put himself out there for us as much as possible without totally giving up what's left of a 'normal' life for himself. That's a lot of pressure to put on one human being. I believe he's doing as much as he can to stay in touch with his fans, his team as he put it, and to thank us all for the support. But we cannot realistically expect him to be able to read every letter he receives.

I hope you will stick around GALS and develop some friendships here. That is what I have done, and when these folks give you their support, I can assure you, it's more than just words! Perhaps we can help soothe your heart and provide a support system for you, too. :hug99:

Respectfully yours,

Katie

~Songbird

:wave: Hi Katie. With all my heart i thank you for your message and have nothing but admiration and respect for such caring people who have taken me a complete stranger under their wing so to speak. Thank you for your words of wisdom and you like Swan and everyone really have helped me put things into perspective. In my heart i knew i had a very very slim chance of ever hearing from him personally, but like a lot of GALS i hoped and wished maybe i would. I'm very much like you when it comes to thank you's and would never deliberately ignore someone, i haven't been raised that way. It was my birthday on Wednesday (which made it even harder when i got his reply on Friday) and have spent time writing thank you's to all my friends and family for their cards and presents. I believe like you that it's common courtesy to just say thanks, but i also understand that i can really have no comprehension of his life and the amount of time he has free (i'm guessing about 10 minutes a day). That must be why he doesn't shave much he just has better things to do!!! :;): Thank you again for caring and it was lovely to read your words. Hope to speak again hon.

All the very best to you and all my new friends i hope i can call you that.

:butterfly::pug: :hug99: :hugs: Simone x

*wondering if I could package up myself and send me to him*

Pictures assistant calling Gerry: We have a nekkie girl in a box for you Gerry.

Gerry: Oh, um, well, put her in the warehouse and I will get to her as soon as possible.

Me: Gladly sits in Gerry's gift warehouse awaiting his arrival.

I try to put myself in the other person's shoes, as much as my imagination will allow me to

OH, OOH, CAN I PLAY?!! [spot imagines slipping on Gerry's brown, leather loafers ... sliding her toes in, ever so slowly. First the left shoe (Spot giggles at feeling like she's wearing "Daddy's shoes). Then the right shoe. Oooh, what's that?! YUCK! Damn it, Lolita!!]

Ahem... sairy. HEY, WHATSUNDER :Welcome2: !! Sorry about your disappointment. Truly. Might I just say that you are at the RIGHT PLACE to share such disappointments. Obviously, you're experiencing what GALS is all about -- love and support ... FANmily.

As with DiscoveringMe, I have never written Gerry outside of the fundraiser for Vegas. However, I do not expect a reply (although a "corporate acknowledgement" of receipt would be appreciated for those that worked on it...LOL), I use this little fantasy to help myself "accept" the resignation that I will never "know" whether he read my note or if it got shipped to the warehouse. Here it goes:

Gerry's WAY old. Maybe even on his deathbed (EEK). Grandkids are visiting him -- pilfering through his "When Grampa Gerry was a MovieStar" crap stored throughout the house. They run across fan letters and start to read. Lil Jill runs down to Grampa's side and starts to ask questions? Gerry is confused. Lil Jill yells to Lil Katie to "BRING DOWN THE FOOKIN' FAN BOOK OF LETTERS!!" Lil Katie and SwannieAnne carry down one big BOX and sit at the end of the bed. Lil Jill starts to read to Grampa. Katie and Lil Simone wait patiently to read one to Grampa, too. Meanwhile, Lil SwannieAnne puts in an old "CD" she's found in the box and it begins to play. Lil Sporran, Barb and Suz gather at the bedside, listening intently to the stories, while the CD plays softly in the background. Grampa is moved -- simply recalling the days of yore -- FINALLY after all the years, "understanding," acknowledging and ACCEPTING the impact he had on fellow human beings. He smiles at the precious faces looking up at him. Suddenly grateful to his fans -- as he'd always been -- that even at the end of his life, his fans have managed to convey to his offspring his legacy. PawPaw GerBear proceeds to explain the story behind each and every bracelet which still adorns his left wrist. Awed by the PRIDE reflected in his grandchildren eyes... Grandchildren proud to have descended from such a man that could impact people from AROUND THE WARLD so profoundly ... simply being his little fooked up self.

There you have it. That's how I comfort myself. I hope it helps you, too! Meanwhile, join us in the support center -- I think we're on floor 62 or 63 ... dunno, I've lost track. You can read the history of the support center in the first post or you can scroll down to the second post and start to play along. That's where we just drop in and check on each other and share thetrials, tribulations, joys and gerryguiceness of the day!

I hope to see you round the boarrrrrds!

Holly aka Spot

Spot, once again you have me :rotflmao::rotflmao:

We're all trying to be so serious about all this and then you come along. *snort* I said IT.

Simone, this is a good example of the crazy women that roam around GALS. I hope you join in the fun. It's all about enjoying this fun Gerry-ride. *hmmm imagining what that ride could be that right now*

And lil Jill's liking the idea of sitting on Grampa Gerry's bed. Is that wrong?

*hands Spot a paper towel to clean off her foot* Good girl :lolita:

Edited by discoveringme

Hi, Simone, and :Welcome2:. I just want to echo everyone's words about how caring Gerry is about his fans. This is a guy who goes out of his way to be good to other folks (did you see the article about how he paid for a young theatre student's scholarship?) ... and takes the time to read mail whenever he is able (he said that himself). I know that we are all valuable to him, whether we write letters or not. Did you see all those bracelets he was wearing at Comic-Con? I know that at *least* two of those were gifts from fans. ::D:

I am so glad you are here, and that you took the time to write to Gerry. I too wrote to him last year, and I talked about how his performances had impacted my life as well as sharing some personal information. I am confident that *someone* on his team saw that letter, because I got a letter (typed and signed but not personalized) and a signed picture back. THis is more acknowledgment that I ever got from any other celeb I've written to (and I did so, as a teen, pretty regularly) ... and I treasure both items.

My admiration for Gerry's work has allowed me to meet some wonderful new friends, and gotten me to see films I never would have bothered about before. You are in a warm, wonderful and supportive place ... and Gerry cares very much about you and all of us.

:kiss:

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

I try to put myself in the other person's shoes, as much as my imagination will allow me to

OH, OOH, CAN I PLAY?!! [spot imagines slipping on Gerry's brown, leather loafers ... sliding her toes in, ever so slowly. First the left shoe (Spot giggles at feeling like she's wearing "Daddy's shoes). Then the right shoe. Oooh, what's that?! YUCK! Damn it, Lolita!!]

Ahem... sairy. HEY, WHATSUNDER :Welcome2: !! Sorry about your disappointment. Truly. Might I just say that you are at the RIGHT PLACE to share such disappointments. Obviously, you're experiencing what GALS is all about -- love and support ... FANmily.

As with DiscoveringMe, I have never written Gerry outside of the fundraiser for Vegas. However, I do not expect a reply (although a "corporate acknowledgement" of receipt would be appreciated for those that worked on it...LOL), I use this little fantasy to help myself "accept" the resignation that I will never "know" whether he read my note or if it got shipped to the warehouse. Here it goes:

Gerry's WAY old. Maybe even on his deathbed (EEK). Grandkids are visiting him -- pilfering through his "When Grampa Gerry was a MovieStar" crap stored throughout the house. They run across fan letters and start to read. Lil Jill runs down to Grampa's side and starts to ask questions? Gerry is confused. Lil Jill yells to Lil Katie to "BRING DOWN THE FOOKIN' FAN BOOK OF LETTERS!!" Lil Katie and SwannieAnne carry down one big BOX and sit at the end of the bed. Lil Jill starts to read to Grampa. Katie and Lil Simone wait patiently to read one to Grampa, too. Meanwhile, Lil SwannieAnne puts in an old "CD" she's found in the box and it begins to play. Lil Sporran, Barb and Suz gather at the bedside, listening intently to the stories, while the CD plays softly in the background. Grampa is moved -- simply recalling the days of yore -- FINALLY after all the years, "understanding," acknowledging and ACCEPTING the impact he had on fellow human beings. He smiles at the precious faces looking up at him. Suddenly grateful to his fans -- as he'd always been -- that even at the end of his life, his fans have managed to convey to his offspring his legacy. PawPaw GerBear proceeds to explain the story behind each and every bracelet which still adorns his left wrist. Awed by the PRIDE reflected in his grandchildren eyes... Grandchildren proud to have descended from such a man that could impact people from AROUND THE WARLD so profoundly ... simply being his little fooked up self.

There you have it. That's how I comfort myself. I hope it helps you, too! Meanwhile, join us in the support center -- I think we're on floor 62 or 63 ... dunno, I've lost track. You can read the history of the support center in the first post or you can scroll down to the second post and start to play along. That's where we just drop in and check on each other and share thetrials, tribulations, joys and gerryguiceness of the day!

Holly aka Spot

:wave: Loving your work Holly. I'm giggling like a 6 year old!!! :rotflmao: Thank you for your message though you've really cheered me up. The trouble is you've got me thinking about starting my own Butler clan!!!!! He really should be a dad, from seeing Dear Frankie and the PR stuff for Butterfly, he was made for the role of a father. I know he's already daddy to a four legged baby how lucky is she!!! Gets to sleep next to him, lick his face :pug: , go for long walks, gaze lovingly at him 24/7. I've never wanted to be a dog before, but thinking about it sounds like fun!!!!! I wouldn't give him any suprises in his shoes although i would like to be told off for being naughty!!!!!!!!!!! :behave: I think writing my original message is the best thing i've done it's brought me so many caring, thoughtful and funny new friends and i'm very thankful.

Kindest Regards

Simone x

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Hi, Simone, and :Welcome2:. I just want to echo everyone's words about how caring Gerry is about his fans. This is a guy who goes out of his way to be good to other folks (did you see the article about how he paid for a young theatre student's scholarship?) ... and takes the time to read mail whenever he is able (he said that himself). I know that we are all valuable to him, whether we write letters or not. Did you see all those bracelets he was wearing at Comic-Con? I know that at *least* two of those were gifts from fans. ::D:

I am so glad you are here, and that you took the time to write to Gerry. I too wrote to him last year, and I talked about how his performances had impacted my life as well as sharing some personal information. I am confident that *someone* on his team saw that letter, because I got a letter (typed and signed but not personalized) and a signed picture back. THis is more acknowledgment that I ever got from any other celeb I've written to (and I did so, as a teen, pretty regularly) ... and I treasure both items.

My admiration for Gerry's work has allowed me to meet some wonderful new friends, and gotten me to see films I never would have bothered about before. You are in a warm, wonderful and supportive place ... and Gerry cares very much about you and all of us.

:kiss:

Hiya Fiona :wave: Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words and i'm very glad you had something special from Gerry. I did see the photo's at the comic con and straight away i said i've seen those bracelets before! That was a kind thing to do knowing that whomever gave them would no doubt see him wearing them and to know he cares. I didn't know about the scholarship, that was also a lovely thing to do. What he did for Bethy i think was very special. I knew he had phoned her, i just didn't know why and i hope speaking to him helped her a little. I agree with you about some of the films we get to see. If it hadn't been for Gerry being in it i wouldn't have seen Dear Frankie and what a loss that would have been. The way he looks at Lizzie after giving Frankie his book makes the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I hope whoever is blessed with the chance to be looked at like that by him for real knows how lucky they are. :wub:

Thank you again for messaging me i really appreciate it.

All the very best to you hon

:hugs: Simone x

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

Spot, once again you have me :rotflmao::rotflmao:

We're all trying to be so serious about all this and then you come along. *snort* I said IT.

Simone, this is a good example of the crazy women that roam around GALS. I hope you join in the fun. It's all about enjoying this fun Gerry-ride. *hmmm imagining what that ride could be that right now*

And lil Jill's liking the idea of sitting on Grampa Gerry's bed. Is that wrong?

*hands Spot a paper towel to clean off her foot* Good girl :lolita:

:rotflmao: Hiya again Jill, i feel so much better thanks to you all. I can do 'crazy' no problem!!!!! I'm actually quite a laugh when i'm not feeling sorry for myself lol :lalala: I think i've self indulged enough now, bring on the naughtyness!!!!! When you talk about rides, it would definately be the ride of your life, i could die a happy woman, i may end up walking like John Wayne, but god would it be worth it! :heat: :mouthmaulme: :bigone: :woah: Must go i have to watch Mrs Brown in slow motion again!!!!!

Take great care hon always

:igotgals::hugs: Simone x

Guest whatsunderyerkilt

*wondering if I could package up myself and send me to him*

Pictures assistant calling Gerry: We have a nekkie girl in a box for you Gerry.

Gerry: Oh, um, well, put her in the warehouse and I will get to her as soon as possible.

Me: Gladly sits in Gerry's gift warehouse awaiting his arrival.

I was thinking is there anything actually stopping anyone from posting themselves to him. At least you would have an insiders view of what goes on. I would love to see the look on his representations face when someone says "I have a delivery for Mr Gerard Butler" they look for a package and are told "No, no, it's me, just stick me in a box and send me on to him!" :kisswink:

Good luck if you try it, but make sure there are airholes in your box lol :heat:

All the best

Simone

Holly aka Spot

Holly aka Spot aka Hotty or pair-haps Spotty Too Hotty :rotflmao:

What a great little imaginary story this is Hotty.

Lil Katie loves her PawPaw GerBear! He keeps sayin' he's always been a wee bit fooked up, but I really like him. I especially like to sit on his lap and have him tell me stories. One time he hit me in the head by mistake because he was tellin' me about givin' this bloke a Glasgow kiss. But he kissed my boo-boo and made it feel all better!

Edited by Songbird

You know.... this is actually something I have thought about quite often:

Even if Gerry does not have the time or ability to read all of his fan mail these days.... there will come a time when producers stop calling. That could be 40 years from now, or it could be next week... as fickle as the movie business is.

I have often thought about how Gerry's fans may provide him with comfort, and one day remind him of those good 'ol days when he was loved and admired by so many.

Just imagine stacks of yellowed letters which represent the hopes, dreams and hearts of thousands of people he has touched and inspired over the years.

Tucked among the stacks and piles of aged letters... poems, songs, drawings and other special artistic expressions he brought to light. What a treasure trove that would be.

So in some small way... we will remain with him as his career rockets upward, blazing into the bright star we all wish him to be.

I find that very comforting.

Swan

I like the thought of that Swan. Even if he doesn't read every word at this point, the words still have meaning and still should be expressed.

I hope his star shines brightly for as long as he wants it to as far as the movie industry is concerned. But if or when it quiets down for him, I hope he'll know in his heart that he's touched so many lives in positive ways. And when I'm XXX years old and enjoying a rocking chair on the front porch, he'll still make me :swoon: at the thought of his gorgeous face, beautiful soul, indescribable eyes, and adorable giggle.

It is 2046 and I'm envisioning me at 91 years old, feeble and hard of hearing, sight fading, when a letter arrives in my room at the home. I have to get some attendant to open it and read it to me. It says

"Dear Susan

I know it has been many years since you sent me that book of postcards from my fans around the world"

**as I hear this my addled mind is trying to remember WTF is this about, what did I do? When did I do it?

attendant continues reading:

"My career has finally reached a point where I can sit back and relax. The past 5 decades have been an amazing adventure but it is time for me to pause - and read my fan mail. So I am writing you this note to say thank you. By the way - I do remember "Sporran Tart!"

Fondly,

Gerry Butler"

**The attendant hands me an autographed photo and my mind clicks in (momentarily) as I realize what this is about and say "Oh, he was hot! And I was Sporrrran!"

Which of course sends the attendant at the home into fits of :rotflmao::rotflmao: