Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Mop Boy date stories

I'm so glad the deadline has been extended... :yippee: I got a story bugging me to be written, and it fits this category, wonderfully. I will continue working in on it this weekend...

Thanks, Lish.

Beaches

You're welcome.

Lish you are awesome.

Hi Gals, this is my first time posting a story. . .I wanted to give it a little try. ::D: This is how I imagine meeting Gerry one day. . .in one of the worst ways possible :doh::lol: . Sorry if this is a bit long. . .I had some problems falling asleep tonight :bonk:

Warm wind blew gently against my tan skin making me sigh in short relief against the hot Californian heat. There was a thin line of sweat staining the back of my white tank top, and the holes in my jeans did nothing to help vent the hot air building around my exhausted legs. I'd been walking all around Beverly Hills for nearly two hours searching for the perfect dress to wear to a movie premiere this weekend. . .parent's treat. It was a small premiere for a relatively unknown indie film called, "The Rushing Tide" but it was my first opportunity to get a taste of Hollywood and I was ecstatic. However I found my excitement dying as I walked away from the twelth store that day. . .shopping was not a hobby of mine. Through my silver rimmed aviators I looked up to see the most welcoming sight all day. . .a STARBUCKS sign! I murmured a quick thanks to God before walking inside the quiet cafe.

Immediately upon entering, cool air rushed through my long brown hair blowing over every bead of sweat on my skin in the process. A long wave of shivers ran up and down my spine, as I took off my sunglasses and adjusted them on the top of my head. My hazel eyes adjusted to the dim light while I looked around. . .there were only a couple of solo people reading or on their laptops. The silence was a great comfort after being suffocated by the ear splitting noise outside. A boyishly cute young man greeted me warmly when I walked up to the counter. No matter the dark mood I was in, I still responded with a bright smile before ordering a venti nonfat chai iced tea latte. I paid with my debit card, and stood by waiting somewhat patiently as he made my beverage. As soon as he called out my name, my cell phone went off in my bag. . . what great timing! I thought sarcastically. Fetching the wretched thing out I answered it quickly to find it was only my mum.

"Nana, how's your shopping going?"

I went to go pick up my drink and gave a short thanks to the young man whilst trying to keep a calm tone with my mother.

"Ma, how many times do I need to ask you not to call me that?"

Mixing some cinnamon in with the drink, I heard her laugh triumphantly on the other line making me grit my teeth.

"Ay mija, you will always be my nana"

My eyes rolled on cue with a small grunt of dissaproval as I turned to walk out of the coffee shop.

"And don't roll your eyes. . ."

An amused smile brightened the suntanned features of my face before I was distracted by the Starbucks employee. Reaching out to grasp the door handle, I turned to hear him say

"Have a great afternoon"

I was about to respond when I suddenly lost grip of the handle as the door swung wide open knocking me back. My legs forthwith lost balance and gave out beneath me sending me with flailing arms to the ground in a harsh crash. The large plastic cup of tea crushed in my tightening grasp before spilling all down my white top and into some of the many holes in my jeans. A sharp pain ran through my offended bum and elbows, my mind was still not registering all what happened. It wasn't until I looked to the side and saw my cell phone shattered in a pool of chai tea that a small blush of fury stained my cheeks. What kind of stupid idiotic jerk would swing open the door like that? Great, just great. . .when I thought my day could get no worse!" Coming over the initial shock and settling into a silent anger, I sat up and picked up my sunglasses and the broken shards of my cell phone.

With peripheral vision, I noticed a tall dark man kneel down next to me. Ignoring the person, I continued to pick up my stuff. . .that was until a large warm hand settled on my upper arm. Shaking it off, I lashed out.

"Don't touch me sir. I believe you've done enough damage"

Quickly he backed off, but it didn't stop him from apologizing. It couldv'e been the Starbucks guy for all I cared. . .the building frustration had finally erupted and I was taking it out on anyone who approached me then and there.

"Oh God, I am so sorry Miss. . ."

"Don't worry about it, okay?"

I didn't even realize the scottish accent in his deep voice since I was so concentrated on just picking up the stuff and leaving. A Starbucks' employee ran up to my crouched form and gave her many sympathies whilst cleaning up the mess on the floor. Too bad she can't clean my ruined shirt and jeans I shoved my sunglasses and the remnants of my cell phone before standing up too quickly. Small stars clouded my vision making me place a hand on the curve of my temple. A large sigh escaped my lips as I tried to push down what remained of my exasperation. Breathe Diana. . .just breathe. It's only a cellphone and your clothes. . . . . . . .ya, and my pride

With my sight unblurring, I walked away from the spill to grab some napkins to wipe the remaining tea off my arms and chest. All too soon though, I felt that same soft hand on my slightly soaked arm.

"Please, let me. . ."

Witholding hostility, I calmly turned around and addressed the offending man with a firm biting tongue.

"Sir, I told you to. . ."

I stopped midsentence when my eyes met the most soothing seas of blue. My mouth hung open as if I were speaking but there was no volume and I could do nothing but stare like some dumb cow. His arm stayed on mine, and it wasn't until he shook it a bit that I heard what he was saying.

"Are you okay?"

As if burned, my eyes flinched downwards away from his inquisitive stare. Once again, I lifted a trembling hand to my temple answering with a small fib.

"I stood up too fast"

All I remember next was his other arm slidding around my shoulders while he lead me to a secluded loveseat. I followed not even thinking to resist what this man was doing, my eyes stayed away from his face. He gently sat me down before addressing me comfortingly.

"Here, sit here. I'll be right back"

I watched his retreating form as he walked away. He was very tall, I'd say about 6'2. . .he had nice broad shoulders and fine muscled arms protruded out from his tight gray tshirt. His long legs were covered by dark jeans, and he wore mismatching white tennis shoes. His dark brown hair was tousled about as if he had just waken up a few minutes ago. He almost looks like. . . . . .oh wake up Diana, what would Gerry Butler be doing here. . . . . . . . . . . buying coffee, smart one. That voice sounded so familiar, and those eyes. . . .

Tiny ripples of shivers ran over my trembling form when I became more aware of the cool air brushing against my partially soaked clothes and skin. With goosebumps appearing on my bare skin, I wrapped my arms below my chest to try and build up warmth by rubbing my cool hands against my arms. Looking down I frowned upon the large brown stain running down the full length of my white tank top. Now, I have to get a taxi back to the hotel, change. . .god, my friends will be waiting for me at lunch. I need to leave

But just before I was even able to get up, I heard a Scotsman.

"You must be freezing. . ."

Glancing up, I raised my eyebrows and gave him a "you think?" look. I nearly got a crick in my neck from staring up at him until he knelt down in front of me setting one arm on each side of me. Once again, I felt my mind go completely blank when I caught full sight of his rugged facial features. There were those piercing blue orbs rendering me breathless. . .his full yet somewhat chapped lips. . .that perfect assymetrical nose. . . the all too familiar attractive scruff that ran along his jaw, chin, and above his lips . . . Gerry

I didn't panic or act like a silly school girl. . . I didn't even faint. I was just completely still, becoming aware of the fact that Gerard Butler had just pushed me to the ground, spilt tea all over me, and was now on his knees in front of me. Each second that passed, it grew all that more humorous to me. . .it was just so hard to believe!

"I feel so horrible. . .here I brought you some towels"

Blinking out of my stupor, I gave him a small smile accepting the small rough towels. All the while trying my hardest not to burst out in laughter at this weird situation. Whilst wiping my arms down, I felt the need to apologize for my cold behavior earlier.

"No, I feel horrible. . .I shouldn't have yelled at you"

With my eyes watching his reaction, he placed a hand on mine and argued sheepishly.

"No no no, you have no reason to feel bad. I deserved it"

I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly, trying to the stiffle the building giggles coming up my throat. . .but to no success. With a sudden burst, I leaned forward in a snort of laughter. I noticed he leaned back away from me at that moment which made me giggle even more. Looking up, I saw his eyes were small slits of confusion and his eyebrows were raised as if asking "Are you mad". Still laughing I leaned forward and tried to address him as serious as possible.

"If you say you deserved it. . . then you did Mr. Butler"

At hearing this, his expression softened immediately and he even gave a cute little giggle.

"Ah, so you know who I am"

My laughter dying, I nodded my head yes with a wide grin.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

okay, this is as far as I'm going right now. It's almost 4 AM, and I can't keep my eyes open. . .yay, no more troubles falling asleep. Not after writing that ::D: ! Anyways, I hope y'all enjoy.

Edited by Naois

OMG!!!! if i met him in a starbucks coffee shop i would have died right in front of him. This is a better story then about the time i wrote a story about him picking me up from school. Good job.

Aww, thank you Paige for the lovely compliment. :lol: I don't even know if I'd recongnize him at Starbucks, I'd be too focused on my chai tea, yum!

I love your stories as well. . .

Diana :kiss:

I love it, Naois!!! Thanks for posting that!!!

I am trying so hard to find the time to write my Attila story.

Maybe this weekend, unless time is running out.

DATE EXTENDED UNTIL JULY 31!

Now that we have a new floor in the SC dedicated to the date stories, please post these in there. When that floor has closed, we'll move back again until the deadline.

Write away my lovelies... only over there for now... not here. ::D:

*This is the right thread now, right? Since the other is closed*

Here is my attempt at something a bit different for me anyway. A Stranger date story. Out of all the mopboys I just always think of the stranger when I think of a date story. He's just "pairfect" isnt' he?

Anyway, here is chapter one. Read on.

A Lonely Heart meets the Stranger....

Chapter 1

I looked out my window to see the trees swaying in the gentle breeze from down the sloping cobblestone path. In Edinburgh, at this time of year, everything is just beautiful. I marveled at my good fortune for being able to come here and be with my step-sister this summer. Although I only had four weeks left, I was planning on making every moment count. My sister, though she isn't related to me by blood, but is every bit the sister to me in all times of my life nonetheless, Samantha, is beautiful. She is tall, close to 6 feet even, but not quite, blond, and has brilliant, deep blue eyes. Her figure is perfect, just right, not too skinny, not too wide, and her hands are so feminine, so soft so....well, not like me. You see, lately, even though Samantha has been there for me through thick and thin, I keep comparing myself to her. Though I suppose it isn't fair to say that since I compare myself to every female lately.

I recently suffered a divorce and not just any old “I'm leaving him and its over” kind of divorce, but a true mud-slinging, name calling, I'll hate you forever kind of affair. None of that pent up anger comes from my side, no, it all oozes from Daniel, my ex's side. I think deep down he wanted us to divorce, but could never just come out and admit that to me. My parents had money, so did his, therefore, logically, at least according to them, we should have gotten married. It barely lasted three years and now all I'll have to hear from friends and family is either “You are better off without him” or “I told you he was no good...” or even worse, depending on what mood I'm in “Oh, honey I'm soooo sorry.”

I was in one of those dark pensive moods while looking out of Samantha's summer home cottage window in Edinburgh, watching the clouds threaten rain later, when she came up to me, laying a hand on my shoulder. “Di.....Di? Are you ok?” Samantha, despite everyone always calling her by her full, gorgeous, and long name, always shortened mine to “Di”. I was named Diana, but there it was. I smiled and stifled a sigh and just looked at my gorgeous sister. My sandy hair compared to her natural honey blond. My flabbier figure compared to her skinny, perfect ten bombshell body. My...

“Di”? Samantha was looking truly worried. But she isn't dumb. She is very astute with what is going on around me. She pulled me up by my elbows, me grumbling all the while, and said, “C'Mon...Tonight we're going back to that pub.”

“Ugg....God, no thank you!” I made as disgusted a face as I could manage, at least I hoped so. I could tell it wasn't changing my determined sister. That's another endearing quality about her. She had not only invited me up here to spend a glorious summer in her home, but she was very determined, I am talking like a homeless man is to get his life back in order, determined to get me dating by the end of summer. I had my doubts about that, but instead of her usual busy clatter around our well kept cottage, Samantha was giving me the twinkle look. This is what I referred to as her, “ You WILL go out and do what I suggest now” look. Her eyes positively sparkled. I sighed. It looked like we were heading for that “Broken Bottle” pub. I thought the place was seedy, but Samantha...

“Look..” She took my hand, a little breathless and pale. What was going on? I narrowed my eyes in mock suspicion, but truth be told, if it was someone Samantha wanted me to meet I would trust him easier than had it been someone I chose. Especially after Daniel. I had chose him, I reminded myself bitterly. And look what had happened.

“There is this guy you need to meet there tonight.”

I went to raise a hand to object but she swatted it down. “Diana, I know you are my biggest sister,” she said, referring to my other sisters, “But I know best, in this case. You hear me?” I wanted to groan and so my next words came out as a loud grunting protest of sorts, “Look, I'd much rather stay in tonight than go to some seedy bar....”

Samantha was smiling that mischievous grin again. “But, honey...he is gorgeous for crying out loud! He is Scottish!” She emphasized Scottish as if it were an added perk. While I had to admit, the thought of an accent was a turn on, the mere fact of him being Scottish did nothing for me. “Sam...” I began in an exasperated tone, “Its just been so...well, everything happened so quickly with Dan. I just need more time....I don't know...”

Samantha looked as if she truly felt sorry for me. She shook her head. “Look, Di, even if you two dont' “Click” immediately, though my intuition tells me you will—you could gain a good friend out of this. He's a real nice guy. Give it a chance?”

“But...” Samantha waved me off, standing and putting on her blue studded flip flops. “We will just go down to the “Broken Bottle”. We'll only spend a few minutes there. But it isn't like you can claim work or school or anything...and I can't either. We're on vacation remember? So why don't we act like it huh?”

I suppressed another sigh and donned my coat, just in case the evening got chilly. Why did she have to drag me out of the cottage tonight? I really had been thinking of just sitting in that evening, but the fire in Sam's eyes told me that she was on a mission. And to be honest, it worried me.

She had my hand and was walking at a near running pace by the time I could see the barely flickering neon lights of the pub. Suddenly, emotion swept over me and it was as if I were back in time, about to go on my very first date with Dan. The anticipation had been high then, only in my eyes, it had been a good kind of anticipation, the kind of nervousness you experience before the love of your life kisses you. And then, less than four or five years later, he is gone from your life and you are the loneliest you have ever been....

I reached for Sam, tears welling in my eyes. “Hey...” I gulped, trying to get the words out but the tears kept coming instead. I wanted to just run back to the cottage but Sam held onto me while I bawled for just a few moments. Then, she turned my face toward hers and though I could see sympathy all over her, she was having no fits tonight. “You have to pull yourself together. I know its hard. Believe me.” And Sam did. She'd went through a divorce nearly 5 years ago. She'd married a bar tender, very young, the both of them. She had honestly been in love, he'd only married her because they thought she was pregnant with his child. It turned out that she wasn't and he left her shortly the miscarriage, claiming he never really loved her. As beautiful as Sam is, I never could understand how he could have just left her like that. She had joked with me when I had called to announce it was official between Dan and I, that we really were going to get divorced, that at least I had lasted over one full year. Taylor hadn't even given her that courtesy.

The wind picked up, carrying with it a chill and I turned to face Sam again, biting my lip. She rolled her eyes. “Good God woman, get a hold of yourself!” I sighed again, and said, “Look, what is it that's so important about this one guy that I have to meet him tonight?” Sam merely smiled, that knowing look on her face again, and I wanted to strangle her, there in the parking lot we approached. I really did. I had no intentions of going into “The Broken Bottle”, with its old rock music wafting from the half open doors mixing with the scent of fried oil from the grill in the kitchen. Before we got close enough to the door to where the cops could see us, Sam said, while she fumbled for her wallet, “Look, I can't say anything else about this guy except that he is the most honest, sweet, trustworthy man I know and he's absolutely melt me now gorgeous.” I thought about the combination she'd just listed and smiled, a sardonic grin that I could feel pulling on my already-present frown lines and said, “Oh, so he's gay?” Laughing and pulling my coat on tighter I shook my head, not caring that the wind had blown my hair askew, “Thanks, I really wanted a gay friend!”

Sam rolled her eyes, handed over our ID cards and waited, her hands thrust into her jeans pockets. I hoped I hadn't really made her mad, but honestly, if this was Mr. Perfect why wasn't he with someone now? Maybe he was, I thought bitterly, and we won't even see him here tonight. I will admit...I was feeling awfully sorry for myself that night, but I think any girl in my boots would have. I heaved a sigh and turned toward Sam, as we entered the already crowded pub and said, in my most icy tone, “Well are you at least going to tell me this guy's name? Or is that a mystery too?” Sam offered a wry smile, pointing toward a table where a large group of men were playing cards. The tallest one in the group was laughing, the deep baritone of his merry laughter bouncing across the walls of the pub. Even from this distance I could tell his blue-green eyes were sparkling in merriment. I swallowed and raised an eyebrow toward Sam and she said, crossing her arms over her breasts and pointing discretely, still, “The tallest bloke there, that's him. His name is Ben McCowen.”

With that, my sister sauntered to the bar and ordered two drinks, casting obvious glances over her shoulder. It appeared that I was to do something I was horrifyingly not ready to do. I was to simply approach this total stranger who was surrounded by other men and begin speaking to him. I swallowed again and looked to Sam, but all she would do was nod encouragingly and sip from her glass. I squared my shoulders and slowly walked over there. The only thing I could think of to console myself with was, “Oh well, if he doesn't' like you for being you, then you know it wasn't ever meant to be. This time around you won't be anyone else but yourself.” That was one resolution I could stick to.

Naois--I like your meeting Gerry in the cafe story!!!! Good job~!

Chapter 2 of "Lonely Heart Meets The Stranger"

I surveyed the tall, darkly handsome man in front of me. Other blokes stood near him, some laughing, some had begun to notice me standing there, and the shorter man nearest to Ben tapped him on the shoulder, clearing his throat. Ben, a magnificent smile on his sensual lips, for as I got closer I could see his facial features in more detail, and he was indeed ruggedly gorgeous. I tried to smooth my hair and wished that it hadn't gotten so windblown after all, on our way over here. I didn't dare cast a glance over my shoulder back at my sister, but as I approached this gorgeous man I felt the familiar nervousness returning and when I reached Ben all I could do was clear my throat and smile shyly. Ben nodded knowingly and said over his shoulder to his mates, “I'll be only a moment fellows”. He had a deep baritone Scottish bur and I felt my cheeks heating up for some reason. The room felt like it was growing warmer by the moment. Instead of introducing himself or saying anything else, the tall man arched an eyebrow, as if to inquire why I was standing there spluttering. Perfect, I thought. Just great.

“I am err...Samantha's sister, Diana. That is....” I stumbled, letting my thoughts tumble into each other blindly. What was I supposed to say anyway? I had no idea how Sam even knew Ben McCowen. She hadn't even told me that! Frustrated, I floundered a bit, and then found myself looking away from incredibly piercing blue-green eyes.

“I see...” he rumbled in that deep voice, an amused smile upon his sensual lips. Except, it sounded more like “Ah Seee”, in that deep Scottish accent. I sighed then, realizing I must look like a fool by now. “Ser, I apologize. Samantha, my sister, whom I assume you know some how, just wanted me to meet you and now I can say I did.” I offered up my best charming grin just for the heck of it, “And now...have a good night!”

I turned on my heel as if to leave, but the tall man intercepted me at a surprising speed for one so tall and imposing and turned me around to face him- firmly. “Look now, Diana, there's no need for such formality.” He grinned back at me then and it was as if the entire room lit up. The way my name rolled off of his tongue in that wonderful accent, I was momentarily frozen, just waiting to see what he would do next. I quickly tried to snap out of it and smiled again, feeling the familiar butterflies start to flutter in my belly again. Not knowing what to say, I merely nodded, attempting to just play it cool for awhile. No such luck, with that piercing gaze upon me. It was as if he could read me like a book and with that amused smile still playing on his full lips, I had to wonder what thoughts were going through his mind about me. I cleared my throat, hoping to break the silence, for Ben was still staring at me, silent, tall, and utterly enigmatic. He'd barely said three words to me and he was somehow having an effect on me that I couldn't quite put into words even in my own head!

“Can I buy you a drink?” he said, leaning over, still holding his pool stick, I noticed, ever so slightly. “Sure.” I responded, trying to sound nonchalant about it. The truth was, no man had bought me drinks in many years and I was nervous. Very nervous.

Instead of ordering for me, Ben turned, that dark and perfectly formed eyebrow arched again in a questioning gesture, and asked in a low tone, “What do ya want?” I mumbled a rum and coke and out of my peripheral vision, saw my sister working on my drink she'd ordered for me. She was slowly making her way over to us, walking lazily as if she didn't' know a soul in the bar. I noticed many men turn their heads as she walked toward us, but I tried to pretend I didn't see her. I didn't want to look like I couldn't handle my own for five seconds. After all, I had barely spent five minutes with this new stranger and I wanted to give the impression that I wasn't some desperate girl who had to resort to my sister setting me up with foreign men in a foreign place. I wasn't that desperate. Was I?

I let my gaze slowly venture back to the tall, newly silent man to my right. He was ruggedly gorgeous, Samantha had been right about that. And that Scottish bur was to die for. Still, I had no idea what to say and I realized, belatedly, that perhaps he didn't either, for he was still studying me, a concerned or questioning look about his handsome face. Which one, I couldn't say.

“So, Samantha wanted us to meet, eh?” Ah, an attempt to break the ice. I smiled casually and waved my hand, as if to dismiss my sister's wishes. “Well you know sisters, as soon as your single, poof, they want you to hook up again....”

Oops. Probably shouldn't have said that, I admonished myself. Good lord, what was I thinking? I ventured a glance at Ben, but he only nodded, as if confirming something to himself.

“Well, there's plenty of food and drinks and I've got me mates waitin' over there. I am just visiting here, some friends. I won't be in town too long but I am very glad that your sister thought we should meet.” He let his eyes study my face more, and I could swear they turned a deeper shade of sea green. “Very glad,” he repeated and smiled at me. I wasn't too sure how to respond but no sooner had I opened my mouth when my sister, as if on cue, tapped Ben gently on the shoulder and said in her best peppy and cheerful voice, “So...you two having fun yet?”

Ben laughed, a big, hearty, genuine one and I merely nodded and took a longer sip of my rum and coke and hoped to God the bartender had given me extra rum. What was Sam up to? I would have to strangle her later, I vowed to myself. I tried to make myself inconspicuous but women passing by mumbled to each other and pointed at my attractive companion. He merely offered smiles to them in return but returned his attention to me, that same questioning look back.

Sam edged over closer to me and whispered feverishly in my ear, “He is hot isn't he??” That was the difference between me and Sam. Just her whispering that to me made my cheeks flush and my head spin and I mumbled something back to her along the lines of “Shhhh!” but Samantha rubbed her hands together as if to warm them, and I realized she was just very excited for some reason.

“Hey, I know you wont' be in town long Ben, so do you think you'd want to catch a movie at the old theater one night? With us, I mean.” She offered a tiny giggle and a winsome smile and Ben raked a hand through his tousled black hair. He looked as if he were thinking about it and then said, “Ahh ok, I think I'm free in two nights. How would after 6 ish sound, h mm?” Sam nodded eagerly then handed Ben what looked to be our cottage phone number. I hung back, wondering if she was planning on chasing him for herself. It might be easier that way, if I let her have him, so I continued to stay what I hoped to be was unnoticed in the background, but as soon as Sam gave Ben the number she turned and left. I don't recall what she said to him, but the knowing grin on her face and the resulting blush on his made me very, very nervous.

I wanted to ask Ben what she'd just told him, but instead I nodded and said, “Ok, well it was very nice to meet you Ben. I'm glad we're going to catch a movie. With all three of us, should be fun huh?” Ben winked and grasped my hand in his, offering a slow, informal shake. “Lovely to have met you Diana. I look forward to Wednesday evening...” He let the words trail off and if I didn't know any better, I'd have thought I was in for a hot date. I gulped and nodded and muttered my thanks for the drink. Cheeks red and my head feeling very stuffy for some reason, I turned to find Sam engaged in a heated conversation with a cute blond guy. She was laughing as if he were the greatest comedian in the world and touching his shoulder, as if he were so funny she could barely stand up. I had to admire her, I really did. Samantha truly had mastered the art of flirtation. I leaned toward her and whispered, hoping blond-boy didn't hear, “We need to go. Now!” I just wanted to get out of there. I was looking forward to a hot shower and going to bed at a halfway decent time, before midnight to be exact. Sam looked disappointed, but she offered that winning grin to her blond friend and said, “I need to excuse myself, its late and we've got some things to take care of this evening, so we really need to go.” The blond man, in heavy English accent said, “Ah, but its been so nice chatting with you, love” and winked at her. I wanted to gag but I rolled my eyes when I was sure he couldnt' see me. Sam caught the expression and, shaking her head said, “Here's my number. We aren't staying too far from here. Give me a ring sometime!” She offered another grin and winked back and I'd had just about as much as I could take. I grabbed our things, feeling someone's eyes burning into my back. I was about to wheel around and give a catty stare back when I heard a familiar baritone voice say, in a lovely Scottish bur, “Have a great evenin' Diana.”

I could feel my face heat up as it got quiet in the bar and I said, “Oh, um you too, Ben” and followed my sister out the door.

For the first five minutes Samantha merely walked with a self-satisfied grin on her face, as if Ben's going out of his way to be polite had somehow proved some point. I no longer had the energy to fuss her about arranging the movie date and I tried to remind myself that perhaps I really did need to loosen up. And, a warm bath would be a great start. I nodded to myself as we headed toward the cottage, while Samantha looked far more pleased than I would liked to have thought she'd have been. Perhaps it had been the lone hottie, I wasn't sure, but for that night, I just wanted to relax and not think about it. And so I did.

Chapter 3

Wednesday began to draw near and I realized I hadn't the foggiest what I was going to wear that night. Sam had been acting rather distant and silent but I figured she had just wanted to spend more time with the blond hottie she had met the night before, at the “Broken Bottle”. Boy, did I not know any better. But, as Wednesday finally dawned, I had two outfits laid out on our bed. Samantha came into the room and put a hand over her mouth, her eyes sparkling, that same knowing grin on her face. “Oh, man, Diana...You really are worried about looking your best tonight, aren't you?” I wasn't sure what to say to that. “Well yeah, I mean, I suppose it isn't a date-date per se but...hey...It could be!” Suddenly I had a brilliant idea! Pleased with myself I turned to my sister and said, smiling, “It could be. If you were to invite that blond guy you met at the pub whose name I dont' even know. It would be just like a double date! Right?”

I studied my sister, trying to learn what was going through her head, for I could practically see the cogs turning. “Well, Di, I wanted to tell you this earlier but, well, seeing as its almost time for the show to begin...I'm not sure I can make it tonight.”

I dropped the teal, beaded sleeveless tunic top I'd been holding. My mouth hung open and I probably looked as if I were catching flies right about then but I didn't care. “What?” was all I could manage. “Well, I kind of have cramps. Ya know...its that time for me. I dont' want to go feeling all icky. You know how it is when its a bad month. Please just meet up with Ben, dont' stand him up for God sakes-” she added, as if reading my mind. How could I go now? “You still need to go, just go and have fun ok. He won't mind at all if its just you.” My sister smiled sweetly as if that solved all of my problems then and there and I was furious at her flippant attitude. “Sam...” I began, trying to keep my voice on an even keel, but Sam waved her hands in the air, “Shh...Just go. Now for deciding what to wear. The purple cardigan with the baby blue undershirt under it looks better than that teal beaded thing you have there,” she offered, pointing at the teal shirt. I grit my teeth and tried to count backward from ten. “And what would you suggest I do with this hellacious hair?” I wanted to cry. Now I was stuck going with this gorgeous hunk all on my own. I wasn't ready for this! I hadn't asked for this and here was Sam acting as if everything would be fine. “Can't I just call and tell him we both don't feel well?” I asked, biting my nail, a habit I had when I got upset about something. Sam gently pulled my hand away from my gnawing teeth and I frowned. “No, Di, you need to go with him.” She sighed then, as if to question, “Why is my sister not getting this?” Then, I realized that she had planned this all from the get-go!

“You little, scheming poop!” I planted my hands on my hips and gave her my best scolding look but Sam only said, “Now look, Ben wanted to go with just you but he didn't want to say that in front of both of us right? Now, he can have his wish, you can get to know him better, away from some crowded bar somewhere, and I just know this is the best way ok?”

I narrowed my eyes and crossed my hands over my breasts, but let Sam hand me the cardigan and undershirt, frowning as I did so. “And, how, pray tell would you know what Ben wanted? He never said so to me or you....”

Sam shook her head, rubbing her stomach absently with one hand. Maybe she really did have cramps. “No, he didn't say so, but I could tell Di.” She sighed again and then, after she caught a glimpse of the clock gasped, “Oh gosh, your going to be late. Here, put on more make up! Why aren't you wearing mascara?” I wanted to throttle her. Why should I go out of my way, when this wasn't even supposed to be a real date?

“Leave me alone, I don't need it.” I snapped at her. Then I felt sorry though. Un-phased, Sam proceeded to dump the contents of my make up bag out onto the bed. “Now...” she said to herself, pursing her lips, and I realized that she had the determined look of an older girl about to give the much younger school dork a make over. “Oh, no no...” I laughed and swallowed, noticing the determination in Sam's blue eyes.

“You have got to at least put on some lipstick, mascara, and blush. Please?” I sighed and obeyed, with Sam hovering over my shoulder the entire time. I wore jeans with the cardigan set and platform shoes. “Here!” Sam said, thrusting a pair of sparky purple earings at me. I frowned at them and shook my head at my reflection in the mirror. This was ridiculous, getting this done up for something that wasn't even a real date. I felt more embarrassed than I did anticipation. “To go with your cardigan.” said Sam, eying me suspiciously. As in, if I didn't put on the jewelery she would be mad and she'd try to make me sorry. I frowned at my reflection. I had to admit I looked ok but I was feeling coerced into going in the first place. Sam stood back and appraised me then shook her head too. “Let your hair down, let me brush it out...” I started to protest but Sam would have none of it and began to brush out my hair slowly, eying the clock all the while. “Ok, ta-da!” She smiled and leaned back. “You look good, sister!”

I could only shake my head at her. I should have known she'd have tried to pull something like this, but all I could do was go along with it. I prayed that Ben would feel the same way about this. That it was not a real “date”. That, after all, being we hardly knew each other, it would at the very least, be something we could laugh at.

Just before I was on my way out the door, still shaking my head at my sister's sneakiness I heard Sam say:

“Good luck and Di...?” She let the question hang there. I turned around, feeling Sam's earings jingle in my ears. It had been years since I had worn earings.

“Di...just have fun ok? And make sure you smile! Don't go around with that frown. You look so much more beautiful when you smile. Ben'll appreciate that.” With a sly smile and wink, my sister was gone, back in the blessed shelter of the cottage and the waiting taxi cab was sitting there just for me. I couldnt' believe what mess I had gotten into.

Secretly, though I didn't even want to admit it to myself, the main reason I was hoping that Ben was treating this the same as I was that I didn't want to get hurt again. The thought of a date turning into something more...a relationship and then, possibly, a serious connection, and maybe even falling in love again...All of that scared the crap out of me beyond all reasoning and I hated that. But rather than dwell on that, I told myself this night was nothing serious. Ben had seemed a nice enough guy, never mind that he was drop dead gorgeous. I would just go out, have fun and then, when it was all over, thank him for the evening and get on with my life. And be more careful about my sister's scheming in the long run. At least, that was my plan.

Wednesday began to draw near and I realized I hadn't the foggiest what I was going to wear that night. Sam had been acting rather distant and silent but I figured she had just wanted to spend more time with the blond hottie she had met the night before, at the “Broken Bottle”. Boy, did I not know any better. But, as Wednesday finally dawned, I had two outfits laid out on our bed. Samantha came into the room and put a hand over her mouth, her eyes sparkling, that same knowing grin on her face. “Oh, man, Diana...You really are worried about looking your best tonight, aren't you?” I wasn't sure what to say to that. “Well yeah, I mean, I suppose it isn't a date-date per se but...hey...It could be!” Suddenly I had a brilliant idea! Pleased with myself I turned to my sister and said, smiling, “It could be. If you were to invite that blond guy you met at the pub whose name I dont' even know. It would be just like a double date! Right?”

I studied my sister, trying to learn what was going through her head, for I could practically see the cogs turning. “Well, Di, I wanted to tell you this earlier but, well, seeing as its almost time for the show to begin...I'm not sure I can make it tonight.”

I dropped the teal, beaded sleeveless tunic top I'd been holding. My mouth hung open and I probably looked as if I were catching flies right about then but I didn't care. “What?” was all I could manage. “Well, I kind of have cramps. Ya know...its that time for me. I dont' want to go feeling all icky. You know how it is when its a bad month. Please just meet up with Ben, dont' stand him up for God sakes-” she added, as if reading my mind. How could I go now? “You still need to go, just go and have fun ok. He won't mind at all if its just you.” My sister smiled sweetly as if that solved all of my problems then and there and I was furious at her flippant attitude. “Sam...” I began, trying to keep my voice on an even keel, but Sam waved her hands in the air, “Shh...Just go. Now for deciding what to wear. The purple cardigan with the baby blue undershirt under it looks better than that teal beaded thing you have there,” she offered, pointing at the teal shirt. I grit my teeth and tried to count backward from ten. “And what would you suggest I do with this hellacious hair?” I wanted to cry. Now I was stuck going with this gorgeous hunk all on my own. I wasn't ready for this! I hadn't asked for this and here was Sam acting as if everything would be fine. “Can't I just call and tell him we both don't feel well?” I asked, biting my nail, a habit I had when I got upset about something. Sam gently pulled my hand away from my gnawing teeth and I frowned. “No, Di, you need to go with him.” She sighed then, as if to question, “Why is my sister not getting this?” Then, I realized that she had planned this all from the get-go!

“You little, scheming poop!” I planted my hands on my hips and gave her my best scolding look but Sam only said, “Now look, Ben wanted to go with just you but he didn't want to say that in front of both of us right? Now, he can have his wish, you can get to know him better, away from some crowded bar somewhere, and I just know this is the best way ok?”

I narrowed my eyes and crossed my hands over my breasts, but let Sam hand me the cardigan and undershirt, frowning as I did so. “And, how, pray tell would you know what Ben wanted? He never said so to me or you....”

Sam shook her head, rubbing her stomach absently with one hand. Maybe she really did have cramps. “No, he didn't say so, but I could tell Di.” She sighed again and then, after she caught a glimpse of the clock gasped, “Oh gosh, your going to be late. Here, put on more make up! Why aren't you wearing mascara?” I wanted to throttle her. Why should I go out of my way, when this wasn't even supposed to be a real date?

“Leave me alone, I don't need it.” I snapped at her. Then I felt sorry though. Un-phased, Sam proceeded to dump the contents of my make up bag out onto the bed. “Now...” she said to herself, pursing her lips, and I realized that she had the determined look of an older girl about to give the much younger school dork a make over. “Oh, no no...” I laughed and swallowed, noticing the determination in Sam's blue eyes.

“You have got to at least put on some lipstick, mascara, and blush. Please?” I sighed and obeyed, with Sam hovering over my shoulder the entire time. I wore jeans with the cardigan set and platform shoes. “Here!” Sam said, thrusting a pair of sparky purple earings at me. I frowned at them and shook my head at my reflection in the mirror. This was ridiculous, getting this done up for something that wasn't even a real date. I felt more embarrassed than I did anticipation. “To go with your cardigan.” said Sam, eying me suspiciously. As in, if I didn't put on the jewelery she would be mad and she'd try to make me sorry. I frowned at my reflection. I had to admit I looked ok but I was feeling coerced into going in the first place. Sam stood back and appraised me then shook her head too. “Let your hair down, let me brush it out...” I started to protest but Sam would have none of it and began to brush out my hair slowly, eying the clock all the while. “Ok, ta-da!” She smiled and leaned back. “You look good, sister!”

I could only shake my head at her. I should have known she'd have tried to pull something like this, but all I could do was go along with it. I prayed that Ben would feel the same way about this. That it was not a real “date”. That, after all, being we hardly knew each other, it would at the very least, be something we could laugh at.

Just before I was on my way out the door, still shaking my head at my sister's sneakiness I heard Sam say:

“Good luck and Di...?” She let the question hang there. I turned around, feeling Sam's earings jingle in my ears. It had been years since I had worn earings.

“Di...just have fun ok? And make sure you smile! Don't go around with that frown. You look so much more beautiful when you smile. Ben'll appreciate that.” With a sly smile and wink, my sister was gone, back in the blessed shelter of the cottage and the waiting taxi cab was sitting there just for me. I couldnt' believe what mess I had gotten into.

Secretly, though I didn't even want to admit it to myself, the main reason I was hoping that Ben was treating this the same as I was that I didn't want to get hurt again. The thought of a date turning into something more...a relationship and then, possibly, a serious connection, and maybe even falling in love again...All of that scared the crap out of me beyond all reasoning and I hated that. But rather than dwell on that, I told myself this night was nothing serious. Ben had seemed a nice enough guy, never mind that he was drop dead gorgeous. I would just go out, have fun and then, when it was all over, thank him for the evening and get on with my life. And be more careful about my sister's scheming in the long run. At least, that was my plan.

Chapter 4: The Date

As the taxi slowly approached the old theater, in the downtown, historical district, I allowed myself one last reflection in the compact mirror in my purse. I sighed, inwardly, at the sandy, mousy, dirty-blonde hair and the worried expression on my face. Why had Sam had to go and desert me like this, why? The driver cleared his throat and I handed him some pounds and mumbled my thanks and shuffled out of the car. At first I didn't see Ben and the thought occurred to me that he would stand me up and for a few moments I was secretly hoping so. Then, I saw him, standing by the corner where the theater intersected with the post office. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets and he was looking down at the ground. I tried to maintain a calm smile as I approached him and when he finally lifted his head and saw me, I noticed his eyes go wide and a slow, lingering grin spread across his face. Those brilliant eyes seemed to light up and he said, reaching out and taking my hand in his and delivering a light kiss, barely touching my skin, and murmured, “You look wonderful!” The sincerity in his eyes made my throat turn quite dry and I stammered, “Um thanks....Sam...I'm sorry but my sister Sam, she couldn't make it.” I rolled my eyes and then belatedly recalled Sam's warning to me about how much better I'd look not frowning. “Oh, that's too bad. I hope she feels better...” rumbled Ben in his warm Scottish accent, but I found myself frowning again. Why did he look so unsurprised? The twinkle in his blue-green eyes told me that somehow, he had expected as much. I recalled Sam's whispering to him while we'd been in the noisy bar and it dawned on my why Ben wasn't too shaken by Sam's absence. I really did need to watch my sister!

I shook my head then let out a small laugh and shrugged my shoulders, as if to say “Sorry, What can I say?” but Ben extended his arm, formal style, arched his eyebrows and said, “May I?” I took his arm and we made our way to the theater. Once we'd got our tickets, I realized I had no idea what film we were seeing. It, as usual, had been Sam's idea, so there was no telling what sort of evening I was in for. I leaned over and whispered to Ben, “Say, what movie are we watching anyway?” and I saw him check his ticket stub. “Its an Italian foreign film.” He grinned at me, showing perfect teeth and, a bit bedazzled by his smile I merely uttered, “Oh” and tried to look around the nearly empty theater. There was only one younger couple behind us and an older gentlemen, seemingly alone. That was it. Ben followed my gaze around the room and, with a raised eyebrow, said, “Not many out and about tonight, eh?” I smiled and became suddenly conscious of Ben's closeness to me. His shoulder was touching mine and the warmth from his body radiated. I swallowed and he immediately said, “Are you thirsty? Do you want a drink from the concessions?”

I found myself smiling, despite my awkward social circumstances and said, “Oh, no, Ben I'm fine.” He smiled again at me, and leaned in closer. So close, in fact, I had to lean away just a bit. His warm breath on my neck, for I had just turned my head to watch another young couple enter the building, Ben murmured, “I like that color on you, it really does compliment you.” I didn't know what to say and I felt my cheeks flushing again. Ben had a way of making that happen, it seemed and I had no response at all. “Thanks...” was all I could manage, but Ben laughed, a low rumbling sound that built in volume as he did so. I found he was laughing a bit too long, for I hadn't' said anything funny, but Ben said, waving his hand in the air, “Shh..the Show is about to start.” I raised my eyebrows at him and said, trying to look as innocent as I could, hoping I could copy Sam, “What was so funny, Mister?”

Ben said, with a wink and a leering grin, “You are just so cute...not sure how to take a compliment is all.” That was all he said, but he shook his head as if he'd never met a woman who didnt' know how to take a compliment. I wanted to say something back, but the show was beginning and, as the scenes unfolded before me, I realized that all of the movie would be in Italian. It was hard for me to follow and many times I snuck a glance at Ben to see him frowning, concentrating. I took it that he was not fluent in Italian. Several times I had to stifle a giggle, as the women in the movie, when they would become angry and curse, sounded so funny in Italian. Ben smirked at me when he caught me giggling and I waved a hand at him, hoping to “Shhh” him, but he said, leaning in and whispering, so as not to disturb anyone else, although we had no one too close to us anyway, “Something funny about the Italian language, love?”

The way the word “love” rolled off his lips, you'd think he was straight out of a harlequin romance novel! I felt my face getting hot again, but I ignored it and this time responded, daring to gaze right into those fiery green depths that were staring hard at my own eyes, “Well, yeah, if you are cursing or telling off your gay lover!” I laughed, genuine, hearty laughter till tears were coming out of my eyes. I had no idea why that sounded so funny, but it did. The movie's plot was as twisted as the foreign words, but I had to admit it was a fun first date. Ben only laughed back and shook his head, but he did not take his eyes off me till the credits began to roll. I found myself getting uncomfortable with his relentless gaze as I saw the other people shuffling out of the theater. Even the couple in the back, the young one, that I had stole a glance at in the midst of the movie, were leaving and they had been making out the entire time. But Ben remained seated, that incessant gaze upon me and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I cleared my throat and he stood up, getting both my jacket and his, saying “After you...”

I had no idea how late it was, and so, after we both stopped walking and were standing in front of the theater, I realized I should probably be getting back. I wasn't really sure when the evening would end, now that Sam wasn't here to direct me, but I thought to myself, “That's ok, Di. You can lead your own way just this once.” As if seeing the thoughts tumbling through my mind, Ben said, a concerned expression on his face, “So, what's next?” He had his hands shoved into his pockets, a serene expression on his face, as if the night were still young. I considered how to end the evening without making him feel he'd done anything wrong. After all, I had been having a good time, hadn't I?

“Well, Ben, its late and I was thinking of just getting a cab home. I mean, Sam's still there, not feeling well and I'm out here and its late and...”

Ben studied me, his eyes boring into my face, but his facial expression unreadable, “Ahh.. and you are out here partying with me, the bad boy Ben like there's no tomorrow and so your feeling guilty.” I laughed, in spite of myself, shaking my head. I started to say, “Oh, no its not like that, I just...” and then I ran out of ammo. What else was I to say?

“I think...” said Ben slowly, taking my hand again in the process and seeming to study it, “That your sister, Samantha, is far more than capable of taking care of herself at home if she is not feeling well.” His eyes were blaring into mine again and I found I had no voice. The true beauty of their sea green endless depths mesmerized me. I was speechless.

“Don't you?” Ben insisted and I just stood there for a moment, enjoying the warmth of his hand holding mine and the ever-changing sea of color in his eyes.

“Ah...Well yes, sure but...” I wanted to keep offering buts. This wasn't supposed to be a date. So, why did it feel like it? Why was I getting that giddy feeling you got when you had the attention of your latest crush? I found myself frowning and before I could voice any of the multitude of thoughts running amok in my mind, Ben said, “Ahh...but the lady frowns! I must change that. So that I can see that golden smile.”

My face heating up again, I simply shook my head, finding it hard to believe that he'd managed to make me blush more than once on just this night alone. Ben winked at me and took my arm in his, making his way away from where I would go to call a cab. I felt a bit uneasy, since I had no idea where he was headed, but he soon began to explain, “Look, I won't bite. I was just thinking...even though I ate dinner before coming here, I could use a snack or so. I thought we could get a small bite and a drink and just enjoy each other's company.” Before I could answer Ben squeezed my arm and said, his eyes still on me I found as I turned to face him, “Please? There is just so much I don't yet know about you.”

“Ok...”I found myself nodding and offered him a smile and he slowly mocked my smile, his mouth going wider and wider until he was laughing.

“Just for a few moments, I promise Diana, and then you can head back. This is one of my favorite places....” His tone had taken on a whimsical feel and I nodded, following him to a pub so small and practically hidden from the main street. A gentle glow flowed from it and I saw it was very dimly lit. He turned to me and offered another winning smile and I smiled back as he opened the door for me and stepped aside, allowing me to enter first.

aaaaaaaaaaaaw lovely Rush......more....

PERFECT CHANCE ENCOUNTER

Rushing around Harvard's School of Law two days before my final term paper was due I raced into the campus library to the section of books I needed to use. As I reached up for a book on the top shelf a large hand followed mine. "I'll get that for you" he said in an accent I wasn't sure I knew. I looked over my shoulder into the eyes of a very attractive man, tall and slender with a couple of days of stubble on his face. "Oh" he said "I'm here from Scotland to do some research on law in your country and this is my last day in the states". He wanted to know if we could share the book since I told him I needed it for my term paper. Intrigued by th stranger's delightful accent and curious about his interest in our laws I figured why not. We could probably help each other. As we found a large table to work at - he removed his leather jacket to reveal a T-shirt wrapped around a well--toned upper body. Here I was with this gorgeous man and I had to concentrate on homework. Talk about a challenge!

The afternoon flew by and my paper was quickly taking shape. He gave me some wonderful suggestions that seem to work. Lucky for me I could answer all of his questions on the subject. His suggestions showed me he knew more about our laws than he was letting on. Since we were done and the library was getting ready too close he asked if I wanted to get something to eat and did I know of a place nearby. I said there was a nice cafe about two blocks away. Without hesitation he said "let's go". We gathered up my books and papers and he insisted on carrying my books. I felt like a young schoolgirl on my first date. We walked kind of quickly to the cafe and the hostess sat us at a table in the rear of the restaurant. He pulled out my chair for me, took the seat across from me and placed my books next to him. We ordered some dinner and during our brief wait I asked him about his homeland. Those beautiful eyes of his just lit up. He described it so vividly it was like I could imagine it as he was talking. I saw rolling hills and valleys, the rivers and castles, and heard the sound of bagpipes in the distance beyond his town. When he was finished I knew I would plan to visit this beautiful country.

We finished our dinner and he graciously paid our waitress and we started back to the campus. On the first corner we passed there was a flower shop where he purchased a single red rose. Upon presenting to me he said "Thank you for the wonderful day". I accepted it with a girlish giggle. In the softness of the evening light I could see his striking features on his chiseled face. The green eyes I had been looking at all day were now a light blue or they seemed to be.

When we reached the campus grounds he asked if we could sit outside for awhile. We sat under a large tree near my dorm building. I finally asked him about going into law and he didn't seem too excited about it. He then revealed a secret yearning. He wanted to be an actor. I said "why not - give it a try?" I was thinking to myself he had the looks, the body, the sexy accent and those incredible eyes. He was a complete package. He insisted there wasn't much chance of it so that's why he was taking up law to fall back on. I really think he was just being modest - I think he wanted a crack at acting.

It was getting late - he had to go - and I had to type up that darn paper. He raised me up by both my hands, held them at our sides, leaned down, and kissed my cheek every so gently. His sweet touch was unexpected. I tried to say something - anything - but I just froze. Finally as he started to leave I blurted out "bye - I wish you all the best in your future adventures". As he turned back around to look at me he had the most devilish smile on his face. As he moved toward me he cupped his manly hands ever so gently around my face tilting it upward as he leaned down and kissed me ever so warmly. I felt like I was floating and I swear my feet left the ground. When our lips parted my eyes opened to view two beautiful blue pools of light. "I'll will always remember you for your encouragement" he said ever so softly in that sexy Scottish accent. How I wish the day would never end. I could feel my eyes welling up with tears. He winked at me and went on his way, waving when he reached the end of the path and walked out of my life forever.

I think of him often - this stranger - and our unforeseen meeting. The rose pressed in my law book is a tangible reminder of a perfect chance encounter.

lugerry :pointy:

:confused: Maybe I can wrap this up....call it an episode one ending!!!!

lol!

More Stranger stuff....and an accompanying pic! *LE SIGH*

Posted Image

Chapter 5: Getting to know you

We sat there at a table set back from the rest of the pub, which was very quaint and cozy. A low fire burned in the old-fashioned fire place to the side and the bartender, an old, balding man with white, wispy hair shined glasses. He gazed at us thoughtfully and I found myself warming up, for the wind outside had really picked up. Once we were settled into the table, Ben leaned over, resting his hands on the battered, old, wooden table and placed his chin in his hands, gazing at me.

“So, Diana...” The way his name rolled off of his tongue, like waves crashing on a sea in Glasgow, the greens in his liquid, sea foam eyes burning so intensely, for a moment I was out of breath. Keep your head here, girl!

I made eye contact, so that he would know I was listening before he continued, “Tell me more about yourself...what do you like to do for fun? And, more importantly....”, his eyes sparkled a bit at this last part, “How you got mixed up with a loner guy like myself—your sister I know, but tell me about her too. Are you two very close?” Breathing more evenly now, and tearing myself away from those sea green depths, I had to scold myself mentally before wetting my lips in order to speak. Was the air in the pub that much drier than outside?

“Well, yes, Sam and I are quite close. I mean, that is at least now since....well since my ex and I...since the divorce...” My voice had grown quiet and I had no idea why. Why was I so afraid to utter the “D” word? I suddenly felt stupid and ashamed. How did it look to him, me saying that Sam and I had only grown so close because of the trauma and tragedy that had been my messed up marriage. What was I doing, revealing all this to a total stranger? Just because Sam had known him as a casual friend for a few years didn't mean I knew a thing about him! I felt suddenly out of place and, lacking any verbosity or candor to continue, I simply stirred my beverage and tried to look away from his soulful and searching brilliant eyes.

Ben shook his head gently. “Its a sad world, with so many divorces happening every day. You must be strong to go on like this....” Did he feel as awkward as I did, or was he just that natural of a conversationalist? Still not quite knowing what to say to Ben and feeling inadequate, I offered a rueful grin and said as politely as I could muster, “Well, yes, It wasn't exactly my idea to start dating again so soon really...I...” That didn't' quite sound right, though and I knew it so I just waited.

Ben was nodding, a sympathetic expression on his gentle but ruggedly handsome face.

Suddenly, I realized that even though this was our first date, I had to be honest with the man. I am still not sure where I mustered the courage from, but I simply swallowed the remainder of my tea and said quietly, “Look, Ben...I am not sure just how to put this to you, but Sam...well she kind of put me off by not being here tonight. I'm not my usual perky self, really because of it.” Ben went to raise a hand up to speak, but I cut him off, renewed with some unforeseen vigor I hadn't know I possessed just yet. I surprised myself further by finding my hand resting atop of his, warm and soft, supportive, in the glow of dusk from outside, “No, its ok. I'm not saying I feel too uncomfortable to be around you. It isn't like that. Tonight has been more than....more than just ok, Ben. I mean that.” Patting his hand half heartedly, I went to pull mine away, suddenly just as self-conscious as I had been a few seconds before my direct outburst like this. What in the name of the Lord was I thinking? But, I wasn't embarrassed, and was thankfully avoiding flushing or anything that obvious. However, Ben hadn't let my hand go. He took his other hand, and pressed his palm into mine, those green eyes boring into my face, searching once more for what I did not know.

“I will be honest with you, too Diana, for you deserve no less....” His voice was a mere whisper and it was as if time itself stood still, for the server girl and the bartender moved to another corner of the little pub, as if to give us the space we needed at this moment.

“I haven't had an easy life. I've got no family left of me own.” His jaw was set and square, as if determined not to go back and visit the old ghosts of emotional haunts, and, at the tone of his voice, I could sense latent pain within his very soul.

“My parents died when I was only a boy and I was raised by my aunt, but she was an alcoholic and recently, the drink took her. I have no siblings, save a step brother who is estranged and we don't speak much. It isn't something I can control; he simply wants nothing to do with me. I have to say that I too have not dated in quite a long time....I haven't been able to make anything last and I don't want to be some guy who goes from relationship to relationship waiting for the next best thing. It sounds cheesy but all I wanted was love and so I waited and....if you wait too long, Diana....well, you can't wait for life to just happen. So, knowing how much Sam likes to set me up, I actually asked her to. I had no idea she would have her sister in mind...”

At that I did find myself flushing but Ben gave my hand a gentle squeeze and said softly, his Scottish bur a bare whisper, so faint I had to strain to hear, but the vitality in his eyes there was no mistaking...,”But I am so very glad she did think of you.”

We held hands for just a few precious seconds and I mouthed the words, “Thank you...” to him, but I truly did not know what to say. The evening was fast coming to a close and I had had such a good time.

Would I see him again? If I wanted to, how was that done? Did I just ask?

Sensing uncertainty in my eyes, Ben, as he stood up and downed the rest of his glass said, “We need to meet again during the day, Diana. There is so much more to do here in the city!” I nodded and flashed, this time, a truly genuine smile.

“I'd like that sometime, Ben!” The bartender waved us off and Ben offered me his coat, as the wind had picked up a chill. As he walked me back to the taxi on the corner, I could literally a feel a sense of him stalling, pulling back, as if he didn't want to let me go. I wanted to tell him other things but I had no idea how to voice any of my emotions or thoughts, so I just stood there, dumbly, waiting for the taxi door to open. As Ben pulled it open for me, slowly removing his coat, he leaned forward and whispered in my ear, “We will see each again—so don't look so glum! Gimme a sweet smile, eh love?”

Grinning form ear to ear, for I couldn't help it, I laughed and offered him a friendly hug. I ducked into the taxi and it rumbled away from Ben, still standing on the corner, waving to me, smiling widely. Tonight had proved to be to be more than I'd imagined, and Ben's genuine concern for me had truly touched me, though I couldn't put my finger one why, but I knew that I was no longer worried or in fear of how Ben would take me, as his acceptance had been so overflowing that I realized that perhaps Ben and I would, if nothing else, become great friends. Yet, I couldn't deny my attraction to him. All I could do right then was tell myself that all would enfold in due time. Smiling to myself, I briefly closed my eyes, as a gentle rain began flitting against the cab windows. I'd have much to tell my sister, Sam, tonight!

Chapter 6: A New Voyage

When I returned to Sam and I's cottage I was stone cold tired and fell into a deep sleep. I recall dreaming that night, not of soft spoken Scottish accented, gorgeous strangers, but of a sense of dread slowly seeping into my life. I woke up drenched in a cold sweat and the sense of danger hung over me like a dangling hangman's noose. I frowned and rolled out of bed, noticing Sam tinkering around in the kitchen, the smell of bacon grease and eggs frying in the pan. Eggs? Bacon? Was Sam not on her liquid breakfast diet, now? Something was amiss, here.

“Hey Sam...” I ventured, and Sam spun around as if a ghost had touched her shoulder. Eyes wide and totally spooked and without any make up she looked positively frightened.

“Oh...Oh Di, its just terrible!” Sam's lower lip began to tremble and I walked over to her, my mind and body going into autopilot. “Hey...” I began in a soothing voice, “Its ok, hon! What's wrong?” I sure hoped it wasn't guy trouble. But then, I'd never seen Sam's entire emotional being in such a state of uproar before. Something was definitely wrong, here and I had this sneaking sense of dread and leaden fear in my gut that what was wrong somehow involved me as well!

Sam was sobbing openly now, and she tossed the bacon grease spattered spatula into the air. It landed with a dull thunk onto our recently mopped kitchen floor. I made no move to clean it up, nor any expression of annoyance at her gesture. Sam was most definitely not her usual self today.

“Its Dale....He's...well, this isn't easy to say, Di, especially since your divorce was so...recent but...Dale died last night. He had a massive stroke. Doctors don't know why and I just feel so rotten....”

Dale had been my ex-father in law. Sam and I had both grown quite fond of him, for truly my ex's parents had done nothing wrong to me. I was stunned, speechless, and totally shocked. What was there to say? Anything at all?

“The funeral is the day after tomorrow, they are waking him tonight in Connecticut, but we can't make the trip up there for that soon. And I wasn't sure if you'd want to go but.....I guess we really should.”

Tears streamed down Sam's face and I patted her on the shoulder, feeling dumb, inadequate and foolish.

When the moments stretched out between us like eons Sam finally snapped, “Well say something, Di!”

“Its...just a shock that's all. I mean of course we'll go and pay our respects. What else can we do?” I hate when other people asked rhetorical questions like that, and I winced inwardly at my own thoughtless action. There I was speaking before I'd had a chance to think again. But Sam shook her head, her limp, unwashed blond hair flipping over her shoulders. I absently brushed a strand behind her ear, wondering when she'd want to get it highlighted again. Maybe we could do that together.

Maybe...

“Di? I just thought that. Oh, I don't know...” Samantha sighed forlornly and I pulled up a chair at the table and poured myself some orange juice. Taking a long, slow swallow I mulled the recent events over in my head. So, his father was gone. Where did that leave me? I would surely miss him, but while I knew I wanted to go and pay my respects, if nothing else just for that, unfortunately, that meant I'd have to see my ex again.

As if reading my mind, Sam said, stress and strain in her voice, “And now you'll have to see him again! Oh, Di!”

Shaking my head at both the recent change of events, as well as Sam's attitude, for she really seemed more than merely concerned about my upcoming encounter with my ex, I barely had time to form a response when our doorbell rang. I frowned. Who in the world would be calling on us at such an early hour?

Sam looked at me with fear in her bright blue eyes. “I look terrible! I have no make up on yet!” I waved my hand, as if waving away a fly and said in a wry tone of voice, “I'll get that...” Sam bit her lip and frowned, as if trying to convince herself that if she didn't have anything nice to say she should shut up. I arched an eyebrow and crossed my arms over my breasts and said, “What?”

“Well, you don;'t look good either, Di!” Suddenly Sam was giggling that same, familiar laughter and I laughed back. “Its not the boogey man ok...”

Shaking my head but still glad that Sam was slowly returning to the old Sam I knew and loved, ever worried about her appearance, in my haste I didn't look through the peep hole before I opened it.

Standing there was Ben, holding a beautiful bouquet of fresh spring blossoms. My mouth opened before I could stop it and I quickly tried to recover. Ben looked at me sheepishly and I could only take the flowers and invite him in. At his first words, rumbling out in that sexy accent, I heard Sam's feet scurrying to run upstairs so as not to be seen by my suitor. I stifled a laugh and offered Ben some orange juice.

“I just thought...” he began, then stopped and raked a hand through his rugged, tousled black, curly hair.

“Here,” I said, pulling up a chair for him, “Sit down and let's just talk. I've got some bad news....”

“I thought that...ah...news you say?” He sighed and offered a shy smile. “I just thought I'd wish you a good morning is all, luv.”

I nodded and then felt the nasty lump in my throat. A fine time to really loose it! And just when Sam wasn't with me!

Swallowing a few times and more than hoping and praying Ben wouldn't notice the dam of tears that threatened to quack I began slowly....

“My ex father in law passed away while we were on our date last night. It was very sudden. Totally unexpected and we...Well, Sam and I are going to go to the funeral in Connecticut in two days.”

I found I couldn't continue, for the lump had grown in size and was threatening to make my throat ache. I looked away from Ben and concentrated on the window outside our cottage. Blue birds were perched on our tree and I tried to smile, to make it seem I was merely delivering sad news, but Ben could see right through me. The pain in his voice tugged at my soul.

“Gosh....Di, I'm really sorry. This means you and Sam will have to make an unexpected trip right?”

He was leaning forward, outwardly concerned and I could only nod. Why was I bottling my feelings up like this?

“Yeah, I ...we...I am going to miss Dale, really. I mean, I liked him.” I felt awkward but it was the best I could describe the situation. Understanding mixed with care flitted through Ben's eyes and before I knew it he had my hand in both of his, nodding his own head as if coming to some sort of agreement within himself. When I looked up into those eyes I could drown in, my pain came to a boil and I started to sob, gently at first but then those sobs turned into the shoulder racking kind that you just hate to do in front of someone you barely know. And also happen to think is gorgeous.

“Hey....”, he said softly, touching a strand of errant hair and tucking it behind my ears, “Its all going to work out. I want it to. I mean...” He began to blush and I had to stop cold and look into his eyes. What was he really saying here? I found I was holding my breath. “I mean to say...I don't want sad family affairs, no matter how tragic they are and this is a tragedy- come between you and I seeing each other. So, I want you coming back to Edinburgh for the rest of the summer, so that we can spend some time together.”

I had no idea what to say to such a bold statement, but the butterflies in my stomach told me I liked what I was hearing. Very much.

“That is, well, that's what I want, Diana....but...” He gave my hands a tight squeeze, “What is it that you want?”

His eyes searching mine, I could only sit and nod. I took a deep breath and swallowed, hoping the sobs would stay subdued. “Yes, much as I'm not sure how to express it all...I want to spend more time with you, too, Ben. I'll...miss you while we're gone.”

Remembering some other things about my ex's family though, I realized I wouldn't be entirely honest if I lead Ben into believing we would only be going to the states for the funeral....I took a deep breath and said, still holding his warm hands in mine, “But there's a chance Sam and I will be staying around there...to help out the family some, you understand.”

Ben nodded, his face sympathetic, but a nervous energy rested there, that I could tell.

“And...I will be around my ex. I'm not looking forward to that at all but I couldn't imagine not going to Dale's funeral. Its going to be tough, but with Sam, I'll be able to manage.”

I offered what I hoped was my brightest smile and Ben leaned forward and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. The shock of the sweet, gentle gesture lead to tingling at that spot and I smiled in spite of myself.

“Then....I'll be waiting here. I want you to know that I will be thinking of you and also...if I'm not too bold in saying this, and you certainly don't have to agree to do anything of the sort that I am doing, as I'm doing this all on my own and because I want to but...” He was flushing again and I laughed and said, “What?”

“I wont be dating another person while your gone, Di. I care for you though I can't say why or how I know this, but I think you and I were meant for greater things. Maybe you just have to take care of something else first, not just this funeral, so you will go and I'll still be here and even if you have to stay to help your ex's family all summer....I won't be gone from Edinburgh. You will know where to find me. I want you to know that I think your special but I'll understand if you don't buy any of this or....feel the same way.” At his last words he left a questioning tone to his sentence and I gulped. Wow. He really had come clean there, hadn't he?

“I can only say...how I feel now, Ben...” I said carefully and Ben nodded silently, his face expressionless. “But I do want to see you when we come back. Though I am just not sure when that will be.”

“Then you'll write to me?” Ben handed me a piece of paper with his address and phone numbers on it and when he handed me the paper ever so slowly, pain that I hadn't noticed before was etched upon his face and I could actually feel it radiating from him. He really hadn't wanted to say goodbye.

He stood and so did I and we embraced silently. How long we stood entwined I am not sure, but when we parted both of our shirts were wet with tears. Whose outnumbered whose I could not say. I nodded, opting to remain silent, but Ben said, “here...” his voice hoarse and dry, sounding as if it belonged to someone else.

He was removing his necklace, a simple gold chain with a charm of a ship on it. I shook my head and tried to say, “No...I can't take this...” but my words were all jumbled up. Ben insisted. “Please...that way you'll have something to look at and think of me while your all the way on the other side of the world. I insist, Diana.” His tone was firm and his eyes narrowed and I laughed a bit at the sound of my name so harsh with that accent. “Thanks...” I could only choke the word but Ben embraced me again and, with one last squeeze said, his voice back to its normal tone, “I'm going to think of you often and I know you are strong enough for this, Diana. I know it.”

After he left I sat there, on the breakfast nook stool, holding the golden ship charm in my hand. I was going on a voyage of sorts, wasn't I? And now I had a lucky talisman to help me along. I knew I would never forget Ben or his caring concern and genuine gentle soul he possessed....I only wished that I could have gotten to know him better before the death of my father in law occurred, but, I realized everything happened for a reason and, as I stood up and began the journey up our stairs in the cottage to begin packing, for we'd have a lot to bring with us, that I now felt a renewed strength just from Ben's actions. And downstairs, the vivid hue of the spring bouquet of blossoms contrasted with the atmosphere of the solemn sadness that always permeates a household when news of death is recently delivered. Yet, the bright color and the golden dull shine of the worn ship charm stayed on my mind and heart much longer than anything else that day. Much longer.

To be continued as a seperate story later...maybe

awww lugerry---a sweet law school romance! Nice twist on romance--I like that its in a scholarly setting!! Very fun!