Gerard Butler GALS

I'D LIKE VEGAS '07 TO BE...

heISmyGspot

...but having each face and name on a wall would be really cool. Maybe we could even archive it and bring the wall back each year, new people could be added and we could reminisce about those who for whatever reason aren't with us.

...I can just see it now..."The GB Fan Convention 2016"...."remember that Susan whats-her-name? Aawh, yea, that Susan Sporran Tart...and her stuffed CAMEL!!" :lol:

Love ya Susan! :camelhead: :baby: :vegasbaby:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not attend last year (much to my regret), but I'll be there with my dancing shoes on.

I have excellent organizational skills, love to plan events, am artistic, and am extremely perservering, willint to stay up late until all hours to accomplish whatever task is at hand. Therefore, I volunteer to do whatever anyone wants me to do. I've planned mega parties, catered meals, created sets and props, designed costumes, organized raffles and auctions, been in charge of centerpieces/favors/room decorations to start the list. Please give me assignments. I thrive on assignments.

Now, this is my idea of something I'd like to see. How about a picture scrapbook book of all the attendees with a jog about each GAL. Attendees would need to send a current picture, a bio, and perhaps some photographs of their art, copies of poems, etc. We could also have a display table showing off creations by GALS, either for show or sale. Anyway, it would be neat to have the photo scrapbook as a reference guide throughout the convention for all of us to read about each GAL.

Anyone want to be my roomie? I am a wicked night owl and will want to be out late having a good time. I don't plan on getting much sleep. Renting a car will be something I'll want to do so I can get around easily.

Lisa

Wow Lisa...you and I sound alot alike! I too am an organizer, party planner, volunteer, etc. and stay up until the wee hours of the morning (like it is now)! ::D: I like your convention ideas too!

I wanted to give you some friendly advice...do not rent a car in Vegas!!! I just came back from Vegas a couple weeks ago and if you have a car, you will spend more time on the road than you will at your destination! The Strip is exactly that...a strip of road with what seems like every car, cab, bus and any other motor vehicle in the state of Nevada driving on it! There is no 'getting around easily' in Vegas in a car! :angry:

Also, parking your car is both a pain and from what I have been told, dangerous!!! I was told by a few locals that the parking lots of the hotels is where the 'bad guys" hang out looking to mug people because they figure everyone has money on them! So it is best to stay out of the hotel parking lots, especially at night!

I found it is much easier (and safer) to hop in a cab, take a shuttle bus or walk to wherever I wanted to go. There is also the Vegas Monorail that, right now, will take you to a certain group of hotels/locations. They are working on expanding the monorail so it goes to all the hotels/locations on the Strip in the future.

As I said, this is just friendly advice. I hope it helped. :smile:

PatKay

Pat, thanks for the awesome advice. Now, for sure, I WON'T be renting a car. It's good to know the public transportation is excellent. I'm a Scorpio too - do you think being a Scorpio means we have a built-in supercharged energy pack? Gerry is, after all, a mass of super energy too, yes? Becozy is a also one of us, and she has unlimited drive too. I'm not so sure she's a night owl though.

Maybe we should work on stuff together!!

Lisa

Hey Lisa...I think you are right about the Scorpio/energy thing! My daughter is a Scorpio too and she is a bundle of energy too! I am lucky if I can keep up with her! :cheeky:

I would be more than happy to work on something with you! Just let me know! :smile:

See you in Vegas! :wave:

PatKay

Edited by Scorpio613

• 2 weeks later...
:claphands: I didn't attend last years convention, but this year I will be there with bells on!! I am a stay up all night gal and if anybody needs help in making or doing anything, please feel free to ask me and I shall comply. I am very artistic and can create something beautiful out of absolutely nothing! This is what I am know for around my own turf!! So call upon me anytime, and I will be happy to help! thanks... MD

I think we all know that there is a possiblity that Gerry might not make the convention. But we would all be liers if we didn't secretly hope and wish that he would show up. To tell us not to count on it is wrong, cause we all have the right to dream and hope. Without hope in this world, it would be a very sad world. I am going and hoping he is there. It is him I want to meet. Afterall, why do you have a Gerry convention if you all don't want to meet him. Yes, its wonderful to get to know all the Gals, but the main purpose is Gerry. Without him, there would be no convention. :bonk:

I think we all know that there is a possiblity that Gerry might not make the convention. But we would all be liers if we didn't secretly hope and wish that he would show up. To tell us not to count on it is wrong, cause we all have the right to dream and hope. Without hope in this world, it would be a very sad world. I am going and hoping he is there. It is him I want to meet. Afterall, why do you have a Gerry convention if you all don't want to meet him. Yes, its wonderful to get to know all the Gals, but the main purpose is Gerry. Without him, there would be no convention. :bonk:

There is a difference between counting on him being there and hoping he will be there. Counting on it (to me) means you are disappointed and upset if he does not make it to the convention, it is an expectation that, if not met, causes pain. Hoping he will be there (and really, I imagine every Gerry fan who ever attends a convention HOPES he will be there), is different because it isn't an expectation like counting on it would be. Instead it is something that leaves us feeling elated if it happens but doesn't leave us disappointed if it does not.

Honestly while it is Gerry who brought us together, there really are a lot of us who attend these conventions entirely because of the other fans and not at all because of the hope of seeing Gerry there. We get to drool over his movies day and night, ooh and ahh over photos of him and fan videos, and if we are REALLY lucky we get to spend a few minutes breathing the same air he is. But should that last part not happen we don't go home from the convention any less elated and any less likely to return. I speak for myself here, because I went to Glasgow in January figuring there was about a 1 in 1,000 chance that Gerry would show up (he didn't in person, sent a video and we got a "hi" from him on a cell phone from Canada) yet I left there certain I would return (and next summer I will). I signed up for Vegas figuring the odds were even less likely there, and yet it happened, to my surprised delight. I sign up for any excuse to get together with the GALS or any Gerry fans and never do I do so because I hope he will be there. That isn't saying I don't hope he is, but that hope is never the reason I make the plans to attend a convention. I just would hate for anyone to set themselves up for disappointment by counting on his making an appearance again. But don't give up the hope!!

There is a difference between counting on him being there and hoping he will be there. Counting on it (to me) means you are disappointed and upset if he does not make it to the convention, it is an expectation that, if not met, causes pain. Hoping he will be there (and really, I imagine every Gerry fan who ever attends a convention HOPES he will be there), is different because it isn't an expectation like counting on it would be. Instead it is something that leaves us feeling elated if it happens but doesn't leave us disappointed if it does not.

Honestly while it is Gerry who brought us together, there really are a lot of us who attend these conventions entirely because of the other fans and not at all because of the hope of seeing Gerry there. We get to drool over his movies day and night, ooh and ahh over photos of him and fan videos, and if we are REALLY lucky we get to spend a few minutes breathing the same air he is. But should that last part not happen we don't go home from the convention any less elated and any less likely to return. I speak for myself here, because I went to Glasgow in January figuring there was about a 1 in 1,000 chance that Gerry would show up (he didn't in person, sent a video and we got a "hi" from him on a cell phone from Canada) yet I left there certain I would return (and next summer I will). I signed up for Vegas figuring the odds were even less likely there, and yet it happened, to my surprised delight. I sign up for any excuse to get together with the GALS or any Gerry fans and never do I do so because I hope he will be there. That isn't saying I don't hope he is, but that hope is never the reason I make the plans to attend a convention. I just would hate for anyone to set themselves up for disappointment by counting on his making an appearance again. But don't give up the hope!!

Yes, you are right. I am sure we all wish he would show up at the convention and we all go knowing he may not. Its fun to have all the Gals together and just enjoy this one person we all have in common. Although, I am wishing he will be there, I will also know, and I speak for a lot of us, we know if he is not, we are prepared as well for that to happen. As for me, I am looking foward to seeing Vegas, I have never been before. My son is coming with me and he is going to show me lots of sights, he has been many times. My son and I have had a rough year, with my mom and now my dad being so sick. We need to have something to look forward to, sometimes just to make it through a single day. And I so look forward to all you Gals, the ball and just hanging out with the ladies. Its a lady bonding thingy I say!!! So whether Gerry shows or not, its going to be a grand gala for all of us... love, di

Just can't resiest responding to this one, but once again our dear, wonderful Susan Sporran said it all "pairfectly"!! Susan, you are the best...you are the peach among us all...

Love you forever, with or without Gerry!!

Nance :hearts::hearts::hearts:

• 7 months later...
:seeyou: GerVegas time is getting closer :yippee: and closer so I thought someone should post here to bring more attention to what's going on. :partytime: I have a question? Is the GALS wall going to be made a reality? I really love that idea! :drink: Trying to figure out who folks were, was difficult, at best! :music::party: Also, since we all do so love to dance, my daughter's and I would be willing to teach a couple of the easier line dances, if anyone is interested. :bellydance: Is there going to be a craft table, (area) where individual GALS can show their arts N crafts and/or sell there? Hope I am posting all of this in the right spot! :woah: SEE Y'ALL in VEGAS, SOON! :vegasbaby:

Wow! I hadn't read this thread before and just read the whole thing! There are so many great ideas!

If you guys need help with anything, let me know! I'd be happy put a list of names and phone numbers together...or have the attendees send me pics and I could put their names on them for the wall...or anything else! Since I'm not in a play now, I have more free time to help!

2) The talent portion was grand but how about adding a "new" feature if in fact you're going to have a talent comp in "07". I would love to see a few of you GALS get out your acting chops. Why not do a 3 minute Skit of one of Gerry's movies? I want to see 3-5 of you in a group get out there and have a movie explained from the beginning/middle/end in 3 mins. I think you can have a lot of fun with this one if you use your imaginations. Just a thought. ::D: Hey, it gets people out there and it could really be fun.

OMG! Bella had such a great idea that was KIND OF like this for the talent show, but since an audition video had to be sent in and it would require both her and I (and she's in Washington and I'm in Colorado) we couldn't do it!

If there is a designated time that is just for fun and silliness, maybe I could still get her to do it! :claphands:

As for the "GALS" wall -- this is a convention for ALL GB Fans that is simply sponsored by GALS. Nonetheless, it seems like if attendees wanted to bring a picture of themselves with names, etc., we should be able to find a place to hang things -- nothing fancy mind you. I'll have to leave the "official" response to this one for the Official Planners. I assure you this matter will be discussed.

A list of attendees with room numbers, cell phones, etc. will be part of the check-in process. After the information is compiled, a list will be made available to those that wish to receive one.

As for the "skit" -- I'll see if I can get Katie to respond to this since "talent" is her baby...

I just need to ask if all our Author Gals who will be attending are going to be able to do a book signing? It would be such a great keep-sake for those of us who usually have our noses stuck in a book. If so, do we need to bring our own books? If so, will we be limited to just one of the author's books each? **imagines a 50 lb suitcase full of books on Southwest airlines**

Sue

*snif* I was really hoping I might have a book to share at this year's con... but I guess I have to finish writing mine first! Maybe next year!

Swannie

Whoo Hoo, I'm all registered. I wonder what I'll do for talent night? Oh yeah, I forgot, I don't have any. Whew! I'm safe.

P.S. If anyone wants me to sign my book "The Pledge," well, it's not really a book yet, but anyway, I could bring print outs. (just kidding)

Swannie,

I'm sorry you won't have your book finished by Convention too. I am dying to read it, and (sorry) I refuse to read what you have on your website because I want it all at one go!! I have every intension of making myself a pillow nest and settling down with a pot of tea and your book and reading till my eyes fall out (or just about anyway)!! You'll have it by next year, for sure!!

Sue

I think the first thing is rooms that are BLOCKED together.we'd all have adjoining rooms where we could laugh, giggle and yell "Night, JohnBoy!" as we settled down.

I'm just now reading this Holly! Too freakin' funny! Night Sue Ellen! LOL