Gerard Butler GALS

Ebay sellers-personal pictures off the Gals site

Guest greyeyegoddess

Guest greyeyegoddess

Look at these please! I recognize these photos from the Gals convention.

set of pictures 1

People, beware! I never thought that someone would sell pictures that were personally taken, and unless this seller took the pictures herself (which I am really doubting, as they sell other pictures), I'm extremely surprised about this. But I know this has happened before.

These are also personal pictures from Vancouver: set 2

If these are your pictures, please contact ebay and the seller!

~alice

i'm looking at that seller's offering and i can tell that almost all of their pics are from the GALS gallery - although we don't do watermarks, i can identify screencaps that i've done and edited. And I see pics of Gerry that I took. I just called Dr. Em so she can tell Annette as she took a lot of great quality photos.

I have to figure out how to contact Ebay about this. Our pics are owned by those that took them and are available for viewing pleasure in our gallery - they are not to be sold for financial gain, this is ridiculous. Thank you Alice for bringing this to my attention. Dr. Em and I are quite angry! gahhh!

You know the other sad thing is, that this might stop people from posting there pics on the sites for the true fans to enjoy.

It makes you want to put your name across his chest, like a watermark. Jeez.

Dina

Edited by dlsmilad

I just reported the listings with fan photos from that seller to ebay... hopefully something comes of this before the listings are done.

I don't believe in watermarks... i believe that photos put on the internet are for all to share, but freely! If you want to print our pics and enjoy them, please do! But don't claim them as your own and sell them on ebay, that's not right. I'm not upset about the screencaps and whatnot being taken and sold - we don't own those either really. But fan pics are a different story. Maybe i'm naive and an idealist and i know this is going to keep happening, but i refuse to watermark... ahh well... i did what i can.

Hugs,

Stef

I just reported the listings with fan photos from that seller to ebay... hopefully something comes of this before the listings are done.

I don't believe in watermarks... i believe that photos put on the internet are for all to share, but freely! If you want to print our pics and enjoy them, please do! But don't claim them as your own and sell them on ebay, that's not right. I'm not upset about the screencaps and whatnot being taken and sold - we don't own those either really. But fan pics are a different story. Maybe i'm naive and an idealist and i know this is going to keep happening, but i refuse to watermark... ahh well... i did what i can.

Hugs,

Stef

you're right, it is not right to take them & sell them.

I wonder if eBay will do anything about it. Hope so.

It is nice to be able to print them out for you own enjoyment if you want too.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Hey Stef, I don't believe in any watermarks either. It won't stop me from taking pictures and sharing them with all of you. We just have to be more vigilant. If anyone should sell the pictures, it should be the photographers.

It's a shame that people have to try to make money off of other people's free shared items.

No one was bidding on those pictures. As Gerry gets bigger though, who knows what we'll be in for.

~alice

I just emailed the seller directly and told them to that if they don't take these off ebay, I will report them. (I'm sure they won't, but I wanted to be able to say that I gave them notification first.) If they are still there tomorrow, I think we should ALL report them to ebay. They can't ingore THAT MANY reports!

Isabeau

Guest greyeyegoddess

Ebay can do something about this and they have before. It seems that the seller does this with other celebrity pictures too. I noticed that the second set has the picture of Gerry looking at Bethy in Vegas.

~alice

Although "morally repugnant," LEGALLY the pics aren't copyrighted, he's a public figure and were obtained off the internet.

It's very disappointing and disturbing to see "Bethy's 'Look'" peddled for money on ebay. To make money off of such an intimate and unique moment in time is just ... wraing.

Edit: I've sent the following email to the "seller" :

Although you've done nothing illegal, your "sale" of these pictures is morally repugnant. One of the photos documents a very unique, intimate moment wherein Mr. Butler was being thanked for his generosity in helping a fan deal with her mother who had died of cancer. Those who had the privilege of witnessing this woman's dream come true (that "dream" being able to one day thank Mr. Butler in person for his compassion and generosity) are horrified by your actions. It's unfortunate that one would have to revert to "selling for profit" something that was offered freely to share with the rest of the world by way of the internet. At the very least, maybe they'll bust you for false advertising ... these photos are by no stretch of the imagination "rare" -- outside of the moment in time which they captured.

Edited by heISmyGspot

Ebay can do something about this and they have before. It seems that the seller does this with other celebrity pictures too. I noticed that the second set has the picture of Gerry looking at Bethy in Vegas.

~alice

Thanks for letting me know Alice.

I like ebay, but Rachel had a seller who bascially stole her & others $ & ebay did not do anything about it. They had to pay to take action & that was wrong. They just banned this person, but the people re-join with different info. She passed away that weekend, but I tried to get her $ back, but no luck.

I also noticed that same pic of Gerry's look.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Thanks for letting me know Alice.

I like ebay, but Rachel had a seller who bascially stole her & others $ & ebay did not do anything about it. They had to pay to take action & that was wrong. They just banned this person, but the people re-join with different info. She passed away that weekend, but I tried to get her $ back, but no luck.

I also noticed that same pic of Gerry's look.

Unfortunately, the seller has that perogative. We have to watch out for each other, that's what we have to do.

~alice

This has happened with fan photos of Gerry before. I run searches on him periodically since I've become quite an eBay-aholic and haven't caught the fan photos myself, but if ever I do the seller is in for trouble. People sell TONS of stuff using copyrighted material all the time - magnets, keychains, pillowcases, photographs, all sorts of stuff, and unless someone reports them they just keep on selling them. I will keep an eye on this seller over the next few weeks while I'm out and about eBaying. If I catch them or anyone else selling fan photos I will make sure to report them again.

• 2 weeks later...

How "vigilant" are we going to be in this? This same seller "amazingpics" has a butt(ler)-load of Gerry pics -- as of this writing, however, none are "fan photos." Most are POTO. As Susan said, many are from photoshoots that are most assuredly copyrighted material.

Numerous "B&G" photos popped up with this last search of amazingpics' ebay store. I'm torn between being excited and wanting to "tattle" to Mr. Gunnarsson. I hate to see anyone but those officially associated with that production making the money... What to do?

Guest greyeyegoddess

There are enough people out there watching for Gerry stuff that I am not too worried about it. I check ebay daily...as that is my shopping ground. ::D:

Every once in a while, something like this happens. Sometimes sellers get away with it. :confused:

I'm not worried about people taking photos from professional photographers....they should be watching for themselves. :funnyface:

~alice

Wow...I COMPLETELY missed all of this! You GALS frickin' ROCK!! Handled sooo beautifully! Kudos!!

~Mel

Oh, for the record, I don't believe in watermarking either. It's bloody annoying. Especially when it's a screen cap from a DVD that anyone could do on their own...but gals like Stef and I do it so you don't have to take the time! ::D: