Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Diva

Irish or Scottish

I had read somewhere that although Gerry was born in Scottland, he is of Irish decent. Is this true? Is he more Scot or more Irish? My reason being, I am thinking of getting him a "little thought" nothing big now... just a little token. I'm not sure whether to go with the Irish or the Scottish theme. I need help Gals. Was going to bring it to the convention per chance he decides to pop in. If not, I was figuring someone would know where I would send it.

I hope I posted this message in the right place! My navigation skills are not too good yet! :bonk:

Thanks Gals...

loves,

Midnight.... :lolita::kiss: :inlove:

Good question! I've wondered the same and I don't know that there's a definite answer out there without actually hearing from the man himself. He was born in Scotland and mostly raised in his mother's hometown of Paisley, Scotland. But, his ancestry is Irish - Butler is an Irish surname, not Scottish. I don't know if his parents were born in Scotland, too.

I would love to know the answer to this myself :)\

- Shan

Good question! I've wondered the same and I don't know that there's a definite answer out there without actually hearing from the man himself. He was born in Scotland and mostly raised in his mother's hometown of Paisley, Scotland. But, his ancestry is Irish - Butler is an Irish surname, not Scottish. I don't know if his parents were born in Scotland, too.

- Shan

Thanks for your quick response Shan. Maybe we will get an answer soon. I sure would love to know.... thanks again... di

During his appearance on Jay Leno, April 2005 (download from our Multimedia here ) Gerry did say

that is name is Irish...he is Scottish of Irish descent. ::D:

The interview is the one he discusses his Dressed to Kilt experience with the Sword of Wallace :cunning:

and his stories about wearing kilts for both his brother's and sister's weddings. :laugh4:

I would think Scottish theme would be more appropriate since he was born and raised in Scotland and identifies himself as a Scot. Something Celtic would probably be good, too.

During his appearance on Jay Leno, April 2005 (download from our Multimedia here ) Gerry did say

that is name is Irish...he is Scottish of Irish descent. ::D:

The interview is the one he discusses his Dressed to Kilt experience with the Sword of Wallace :cunning:

and his stories about wearing kilts for both his brother's and sister's weddings. :laugh4:

I would think Scottish theme would be more appropriate since he was born and raised in Scotland and identifies himself as a Scot. Something Celtic would probably be good, too.

OK, thanks so much! I will do that then... love, di

- Shan

I love your siggy!!!

::D: If I may, according to Gerry he is of Irish blood on both sides of his family. Butler is Irish. He was raised mostly in Scotland. I would agree that Scottish would be the best theme. Good luck!

Best wishes! and hugs

:lolita:

I love your siggy!!!

Thank you - it's the first one I've ever done!

- Shan

I would think that Scottish would be correct.

::D: If I may, according to Gerry he is of Irish blood on both sides of his family. Butler is Irish. He was raised mostly in Scotland. I would agree that Scottish would be the best theme. Good luck!

Best wishes! and hugs

Hi and thankyou so much for your reply. Scottish it will be! :pointy::lolita: :laugh4:

Best wishes! and hugs

Hi and thankyou so much for your reply. Scottish it will be! :pointy::lolita: :laugh4:

Why not call him Celtic, it fits both the Scots, Irish and the Welsh nation.

Posted Image

"The Claddagh" a symbol of Love, Friendship and loyalty. The ring worn on the right hand, crown turned inward tells your heart is yet unoccupied, worn with the crown turned outwards reveals love is being considered. Worn on the left hand the crown turned outward shows all, your heart is truly spoken for.

Just thought I would share this with you.

Anna x

Best wishes! and hugs

Posted Image

"The Claddagh" a symbol of Love, Friendship and loyalty. The ring worn on the right hand, crown turned inward tells your heart is yet unoccupied, worn with the crown turned outwards reveals love is being considered. Worn on the left hand the crown turned outward shows all, your heart is truly spoken for.

Anna x

Thankyou so much! I am glad you told me about the Claddagh .. I love it and just ordered one for myself. I will definately get Mr. G. something Celtic... I have half Irish children and they so pretty. Are you going to Vegas?? If you are, God willing I will meet you there....God Bless and thanks for your reply... ::D:

You will love the

Best wishes! and hugs

Posted Image

Anna x

Thankyou so much! I am glad you told me about the Claddagh .. I love it and just ordered one for myself. I will definately get Mr. G. something Celtic... I have half Irish children and they so pretty. Are you going to Vegas?? If you are, God willing I will meet you there....God Bless and thanks for your reply... ::D:

Di, you will love the Claddagh ring, and no I won't make Vegas, but....the year after maybe!

Anna x

:cunning:

I can always tell if my son has a serious girl friend or not by which direction his Claddagh ring is pointed -- l ::D:

I can always tell if my son has a serious girl friend or not by which direction his Claddagh ring is pointed -- l ::D:

It's only my spin on it from what Gerry has said in interviews and his family history. I must emphasize history from my interputation. From what I gather Gerry's family has been in Scotland for 110 years, now that is a very long time but Gerry in 2005 is saying my whole famitly is Irish, Butler is an Irish name, he does not have a tartan. Knowing the turbulant histrory of Irish Catholics in that part of the world, parts of his Irish family had to migrate to other parts of the world. Glasgow is a strong hold of Irish Catholics, they might of moved to another location but they remain Irish in their soul, spirit, culture.

It's only my spin on it from what Gerry has said in interviews and his family history. I must emphasize history from my interputation. From what I gather Gerry's family has been in Scotland for 110 years, now that is a very long time but Gerry in 2005 is saying my whole famitly is Irish, Butler is an Irish name, he does not have a tartan. Knowing the turbulant histrory of Irish Catholics in that part of the world, parts of his Irish family had to migrate to other parts of the world. Glasgow is a strong hold of Irish Catholics, they might of moved to another location but they remain Irish in their soul, spirit, culture.

Thankyou New York Gal. I kind of had that feeling also. Thanks for the info. I'm from Jersey. about a half hour from the City. Live in Fl. now, like it, but miss my roots. take care...hugs, di... write me again if you would like... I am here for anyone who needs or wants a friend... :pointy:

Dear GALS,

If you want to know about the Butler Genealogy, just type in, Butler Family of Ireland. You will get all of the information you want. I have done some research on the Butler Family myself while doing research on my own family. I, also, am of Irish and Scottish descent.

The Butlers were an illustious and ancient family. The name was taken from the Office of Butlership. The Butlers arrived in Ireland during the Anglo-Norman invasion, in the 12th century, and in 1177 Theobald FitzWalter was made Chief Butler of Ireland by King Henry II. According to County Kilkenny Surnames, the Butler Family were of Norman origin and were Earls of Ormonde. The Normans were French. Some of the information states that the Butlers changed their names from Walter in 1185 to Butler and by 1391, the family became wealthy. They have a very rich heritage. Actually, Gerry is Irish by blood. He is Scottish only because he was born in Scotland which gives him Scottish citizenship.

Of course, we all are only interested in just one of the Butlers, are we not? I think he got all of the good looks and charm in all of the whole Butler clan.

I think you will really enjoy the genealogy of the Butler Family. You might give it a try. There is a coat of arms for the Butler Family you might want to look up.

Blessings, :wub:

Lady Yvonne <><

Dear GALS,

If you want to know about the Butler Genealogy, just type in, Butler Family of Ireland. You will get all of the information you want. I have done some research on the Butler Family myself while doing research on my own family. I, also, am of Irish and Scottish descent.

The Butlers were an illustious and ancient family. The name was taken from the Office of Butlership. The Butlers arrived in Ireland during the Anglo-Norman invasion, in the 12th century, and in 1177 Theobald FitzWalter was made Chief Butler of Ireland by King Henry II. According to County Kilkenny Surnames, the Butler Family were of Norman origin and were Earls of Ormonde. The Normans were French. Some of the information states that the Butlers changed their names from Walter in 1185 to Butler and by 1391, the family became wealthy. They have a very rich heritage. Actually, Gerry is Irish by blood. He is Scottish only because he was born in Scotland which gives him Scottish citizenship.

Of course, we all are only interested in just one of the Butlers, are we not? I think he got all of the good looks and charm in all of the whole Butler clan.

I think you will really enjoy the genealogy of the Butler Family. You might give it a try. There is a coat of arms for the Butler Family you might want to look up.

Blessings, :wub:

Lady Yvonne <><

That is so cool! Thankyou for sharing that with us. I will definately be looking that up. I tried once but couldn't find anything out. I must have been looking in all the wrong places. Where would I go to find this info on his families heritage? I'm not very computor savy yet...lol... I try though!! Blessings to you ...take care.... Midnight