Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry's Midwest Classy Lasses #12

Hey Ladies...DON'T miss your opportunity to vote for Gerry & 300 in the 2007 MTV Movie Awards! :woo:

Gerry & 300 has been nominated in 5 categories! :claphands:

MTV MOVIE AWARDS

Like any good Chicago voter, be sure to vote early and often! :p FYI, you CAN vote multiple times! ;)

Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter. She is still feeling pretty bad and will miss dance tonight. Also, we are going to miss my son's b-ball game tonight too. He understands but I still feel bad.

Tonight is another "break the remote control night" because I will be flipping between the Cubs game, DWTS and Heroes!!! :bonk: Why can't they be at different times on different nights??? AARRGHH!!! :wall:

Edited by Scorpio613

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trixie- Sorry to hear Caffrey had a seizure. I would have been a wreck if I had to deal with my dog doing that. I have a girl I work with her dog gets them often and they actually have the dog on meds for the seizures. Do you have Caffrey on anything? Sorry also to hear about your friend's dad. My condolences to the family.

Pat- Did I enjoy the nice weather yesterday, you ask? Actually I did a lot of sweating yesterday and not much else. :lol: My apartment felt like a sauna so I finally broke down and turned the AC on today. My apartment has no air circulation so once the temp goes up I have to turn the AC on. Plus I think my fish tank was getting close to the boiling point. Didn't want poached guppies floating around in the tank, ya know? :doh:

Also Pat, you beat me to the punch about the MTV awards voting. I was going to post the same thing. I've voted once already but I definitely plan on voting many times before the awards show. This is so exciting for Gerry and all those involved in 300. I bet they are loving it.

Hope your daughter is feeling better soon! Nothing worse then being sick when you want to be out doing other things. :bonk:

Miklyn- WTG on the party sales! :woo::claphands: Parties like those have got to make the hard work worth it, huh?

Kelly, that video was HILARIOUS!!! :rotflmao:

Good MOrning Ladies!

I have finally had some time to get online and post. I have been away at a nursing conference for 3 days, while sick with a head cold from HELL, and then we had issues with our internet provider that we are still trying to work out. I am also working on graduation plans for my oldest who graduates from college next week, as well as Ethan who will graduate HS on the 25th, along with looking for a car for Aidan who is due to get his license next week. There is also a lot more on my plate at work, but I won't go into that. All I know is I can't wait until VEGAS and UK CONY!!!

However, I was able to vote on the MTV awards! Looks like things are looking favorable for more awards for OUR MAN in the coming year! I would love to see him get at least nominated for a Globe or Oscar! He deserves it!

I am still passing along the 300 buzz. It is now in our local small theater, so I have gone to see it yet again!

Hugs to all who have sickies in the house, and great news on the party Miklyn!

The weather has turned nasty here the past couple of days so we are back to the pants and jackets UGH.

Anyhoo.... thought I would post and let you all know I am still alive and kicking and lusting over our handsome Highlander!

Trix...I checked into Zumba instructors around here, and alas the closest is Madison or the twin cities. However, I do see they have DVD's to use in your home, so I might think on that one.

Better run for now as I have to work the next 3 days and must get some stuff done before heading out. I will be lurking though...........

Talk at you all soon.

Paulette

Hey all-

just wanted to check in.

Miki- whoo hoo! :claphands: I am so excited that you had a great party. I hope you have many more.

Trix and Kelly- sorry that the babies have seizures. I know it has got to kill you. When my puppy is sick I feel so bad for her. She gets this look in her eyes and I just feel so bad for her.

Pat- I hope your little one is feeling better soon.

Hey Paulette and Stacie- :wave:

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who has offered support for my friend's mother who is dying. Saddly, she is suffering pretty badly right now. Last night she was running a bad fever and having anxiety attacks when she would be consious. (sp?) Just please keep my friend, her name is Bridget, and her mom in your thoughts. I have to believe that when it all over, that God will take care of the family and lead her mom straight to heaven. :hugs:

Thought for the day: make sure you tell someone that you love..."I LOVE YOU"

Hey all-

Finaly update: My friends mom passed away this morning. It is all over. I guess now the hard part begins. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts. :hugs:

Terra I am so sorry to hear your friend's mom passed away this morning. This is definitely when the hard part begins. Does she have family or friends helping her make the arrangements? It should be a comfort for her to know her Mom is at peace now, but it still doesn't make it much easier on the heart. I know that feeling all too well. Please let her know that people that she doesn't even know are praying for her (that's if you want to fess up to your GB obsession - if she doesn't know already ;) ). My deepest condolences.

Terra...I am so sorry to hear that Bridget's Mom passed away. I know what it is like to lose a parent(s) but it also hard to watch someone you love suffer. So while your friend is sad that her Mother is gone, may it be a comfort that she is no longer suffering and is in the loving arms of the Lord. :comfort:

HER JOURNEY'S JUST BEGUN

by Ellen Brenneman

Don't think of her as gone away -

her journey's just begun,

life holds so many facets -

this earth is only one.

Just think of her as resting

from the sorrows and the tears

in a place of warmth and comfort

where there are no days and years.

Think how she must be wishing

that we could know today

how nothing but our sadness

can really pass away.

And think of her as living

In the hearts of those she touched

For nothing loved is ever lost -

And she was loved so much.

:hugs:

PatKay

Terra I am so sorry to hear about your friend's mom. The hardest times are to come. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I am cleaning tonight since I don't have to run anywhere tonight. I'll be lurking around

I wanted to let ya'll know that my website is up now. I added it to my profile. Now I can start to offer virtual parties too.

I am pretty excited about it.

Terra, I am so sorry to hear about Bridget's mom passing. She will be in my thoughts. :hug99:

Pat, the poem was very moving. I was close to tears when I read it.

Trixie, how is Caffrey doing? Better I hope.

Miklyn, I'll be sure to check out your website. Bet it will help your sales a lot too.

I'll be lurking.

Just a quick :wave:

I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday and it turns out she has Strep Throat! :sick: I had a feeling that is what she had because of her symptoms. We stopped by the school after the doc appointment to let them know and to talk to the principle to ask for an extention for her student council application. It is due today but the doc said she had to stay home one more day. The principle was nice about it and gave her a one day extention. So she has to go back to school on Thursday whether she feels better or not. Also, she still plans to dance at Great America this weekend, so she better get well fast!!!

Besides taking care of her, I didn't do much last night except watch DWTS! I can't believe Billy Ray Cyrus is still hanging in there! :confused: It has to be his daughter's fans that are keeping him in the running. For those that don't know, Mylie Cyrus, Billy Ray's daughter, plays Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel. My daughter watches her show and has her music. Billy Ray is on the show too. That is one of the reasons he actually is hoping to get kicked off DWTS! He says he is too busy with Hannah Montana and making a new album to keep dancing, but every week he keeps getting to stay! :D I am sure next week will be his week to get the boot! He cannot keep up with Apolo, Joey, Ian and Aliana! :dance:

Kelly...I liked that video! It reminded me of the old time cartoons they used to make in the 30's.

Edited by Scorpio613

PatK that is good that the principal is giving your daughter an extension on the counsil ticket.

It seems that strep, the flu and stomach bugs are a non stop this year, one of my sons is home today with a stomach bug.

Terra I am sorry to hear of your friends loss. She is in my prayers.

I took my dog to the vet yesterday for her shots and she has to be on seizure meds for good now. the wet said because of her age and the no. of seizures she has had she needs to be on it.

He also found a lump on her side close to her belly. After I get her blood work back she is going to have to have it removed. I am scared that it might be the "C" word.

Well it finally happened...one of the 'bonehead' Mom's at school hit my car in the parking lot! :swear: I am SO :tantrum: !!! She didn't even look, she threw her car into reverse and hit me. Luckily it was minor but still, it is my new car (new to me) and she was at fault. She even admitted she didn't look! :( I saw this women at the last minute but could not move fast enough to avoid her hitting me because there was another car in front of me.

The parking lot at school has been an accident waiting to happen. Almost all the parents drive big SUV's or vans, they pay no attention to anything or anyone around them because they are talking on their cell phones or talking/yelling at their kids. I have seen MANY accidents almost happen because of these idiot women!!! :(

As I said it was a minor bump but it still left a couple scratches and a small dent on my car. We exchanged information but I don't think it is enough to turn into the insurance. My husband will look at it when he gets home.

I am sorry to vent on here but I am so aggravated because I knew this was going to happen someday!!! :wall:

Edited by Scorpio613

Pat! That stinks! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know what you mean about crazy parents driving around - I deal with them every day from the school across the street. I can hardly get out of my driveway to go to work. Hope the damage isn't too bad and you're okay.

Kelly - I'm praying that the lump on Cheyenne isn't serious and that it's just fatty tissue or a cyst. Keep us posted. And I also hope that the seizure meds help her. I'm afraid Caffrey will have to go on those one day when he gets older - right now he's a month shy of 5 years old.

Stacie - Caffrey is good, he's just depressed. LOL He wants this little dog gone. He loves playing with big dogs that aren't dominant, but he can't stand little dogs. He's so docile and submissive, he just doesn't know what to do - even when he's being bullied by a small dog.

I'm lurking around!

Well I just got a pleasant surprise when I got home. They have my new lease here for next year and they actually increased my rent $100 a month. There is no way I am going to be able to afford that so I might have to move in with mom for a little bit and travel back and forth which I don't care I did that once before.

Trixie don't freak out because I will keep my job in Naperville and I can still do things straight after work. If we do a girls night on fridays i might just have to crash on the couch.

Now I get to talk to Mom about it.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :barebum: :push: I know, it's all good. You do what you gotta do girl. At least you can save some money. Plus, if we ever do anything on the weekend you know you can always crash on my couch.

Well I just talked to mom and she was selling me on what a great locaiton I have and for a two bedroom that is not bad rent. I don't think she wants me. LOL Anyway I am going to look and see if there are any cheaper rents but if I got to a one bedroom I will have to store some furniture and I wiould be close to the new rent. So one of tthe ideas was from each party set aside $100-$200 if I can and then just save that for rent and then in theory I am still paying the same rent if that makes any sense.

So it looks like I might be staying in this area but I am going to look around and see what else is out there just in case.

Well it finally happened...one of the 'bonehead' Mom's at school hit my car in the parking lot! :swear: I am SO :tantrum: !!! She didn't even look, she threw her car into reverse and hit me. Luckily it was minor but still, it is my new car (new to me) and she was at fault. She even admitted she didn't look! :( I saw this women at the last minute but could not move fast enough to avoid her hitting me because there was another car in front of me.

The parking lot at school has been an accident waiting to happen. Almost all the parents drive big SUV's or vans, they pay no attention to anything or anyone around them because they are talking on their cell phones or talking/yelling at their kids. I have seen MANY accidents almost happen because of these idiot women!!! :(

As I said it was a minor bump but it still left a couple scratches and a small dent on my car. We exchanged information but I don't think it is enough to turn into the insurance. My husband will look at it when he gets home.

I am sorry to vent on here but I am so aggravated because I knew this was going to happen someday!!! :wall:

PatK...What is it with people when they drop their kids off at school?!?!?!? I want to get out of my car sometimes in the morning and just smack the sh*t out of some of the mothers that drive like they were braindead!!

Some of the kids at the high school have to jump and dodge out of these braindead idiots way as they try and make their way across the parking lot.

Miklyn I hope you find the place that is right for you. It is SO hard to find an affordable place anymore. Everything is so expensive now a days and there are SO many stipulations that go with it too.

Good Luck and I know it is a long way from where you live now but there are alot of apartments here in Morris and the sorrounding area.......just a thought.......

I was a complete braindead poop tonight as well......my son started his new paper route tonight and as we were looking for house numbers I inadvertintely turned the wrong way down a one way street.....and wouldn't you know as I turned down the next street I drove past a cop!!!!! He turned around and stopped me. After I talked to him and explained to him what happened he just gave me a warning. DUH!!!!!

Good morning ladies.

My sister called me last night and was telling about her husbands sister and nephew and I just have to share it with you all.

Her S-I-L lives in New York and she lives right around the corner from where they had the Spiderman premiere. Anyway she and her son Timor decided to go down to the theater and watch the actors go down the red carpet. As Toby McGuire made his way down little Timor (who is 5 and is a HUGE Spiderman fan) pulled his shirt out and yelled "I LOVE YOU SPIDERMAN!!!!" Toby came over and bagan to talk to him and him mom (for some reason her name escapes me this morning). Timor was SO excited!!!!!

Toby gave him an autograph and stayed and talked to them for some time and because of that the media interviewed Timor and his mom there at the premiere and afterward came to their house and interviewed them again.......and it was on the news in NY.

She has pictures and a video that she is going to copy and send to my sister. When I see them I'm going to see if there is a pic of Timor and Toby and I'll try and post it here.

They said that Toby was THE nicest and the sweetest person they had ever met.

I was SO, SO excited for them!!!!!

Toby is from NYC too and he lived only one street over from where Timor and his mom live now.

HOW COOL IS THAT PEOPLE!!!!!!

Edited by gerardaholic66

How friggin awesome is that??? That had to make Timor's year! I love it when I hear about celebs treating their children fans so well. To a kid it's the best thing that ever happens to them!

Kelly...Way to Go Spidey! That is so nice of Toby to do that for Timor! Toby McGuire seems like a real nice regular-type guy so I can see him doing something like that! What a nice memory for little Timor to have of meeting Spiderman! ;)

Btw...Dean Richards did not like the new Spiderman, he gave it a C. :( He said it was too dark. Well :doh: that is what they were going for....a different Spiderman! I don't listen to critics anyway. I plan to see the new Spiderman this weekend!

What is it with people when they drop their kids off at school?!?!?!? I want to get out of my car sometimes in the morning and just smack the sh*t out of some of the mothers that drive like they were braindead!! Some of the kids at the high school have to jump and dodge out of these braindead idiots way as they try and make their way across the parking lot.

I totally agree! My husband drops off the kids in the morning and he said he has had to dodge the crazy Mom's too!!! The school has a drop off system but many of the Mom's don't follow the pattern because they are in a hurry to drop off their kids and go to work. I pick up the kids from school and there is a pick up system but again, they are just as bad following that pattern too. The teachers stand out in the parking lot and try to correct the parents that don't follow the rule but the parents just ignore them and continue doing what they want. :( I am waiting to see if anything comes out in the weekly newletter about the parking lot situation because both the Principle and Asst. Principle came over to see what happened after the accident! I told the principle that this was bound to happen because of the poor parking lot situation. I could see she didn't like that I said that, but it is the truth!

My daughter finally went back to school today. Her throat is still sore but she feels much better! The poor kid had a ton of homework to do yesterday. Her teachers sent home homework everyday with her brother. And they expect the student to do the homework while they are home sick. I can see why kids hate school! :( Although, my daughter actually likes school! :confused:

Anyway, on a fun note, have you all seen the 300 movie spoof on the MTV site? It is very funny and very well made! I plan to vote for it, I hope you will too! Here it is... http://mtvmovieawards.yahoo.com/spoofs/United300/110883

The Little Miss Jackass video is kind of funny but the kid is really annoying! :push:

Edited by Scorpio613

I know this totally Off Topic...my kids came home from school the other day talking about this and I admit, I just passed it off. However, I read this on AOL and now see why my kids were all worked up over this.

Honeybee Die-Off Threatens U.S. Food Supply

By SETH BORENSTEIN

AP

BELTSVILLE, Md. (May 3) - Unless someone or something stops it soon, the mysterious killer that is wiping out many of the nation's honeybees could have a devastating effect on America's dinner plate, perhaps even reducing us to a glorified bread-and-water diet.

Judi Bottoni, AP

About one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 percent of that pollination, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Honeybees don't just make honey; they pollinate more than 90 of the tastiest flowering crops we have. Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

In fact, about one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 percent of that pollination, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Even cattle, which feed on alfalfa, depend on bees. So if the collapse worsens, we could end up being "stuck with grains and water," said Kevin Hackett, the national program leader for USDA's bee and pollination program.

"This is the biggest general threat to our food supply," Hackett said.

While not all scientists foresee a food crisis, noting that large-scale bee die-offs have happened before, this one seems particularly baffling and alarming.

U.S. beekeepers in the past few months have lost one-quarter of their colonies _ or about five times the normal winter losses _ because of what scientists have dubbed Colony Collapse Disorder. The problem started in November and seems to have spread to 27 states, with similar collapses reported in Brazil, Canada and parts of Europe.

Scientists are struggling to figure out what is killing the honeybees, and early results of a key study this week point to some kind of disease or parasite.

Even before this disorder struck, America's honeybees were in trouble. Their numbers were steadily shrinking, because their genes do not equip them to fight poisons and disease very well, and because their gregarious nature exposes them to ailments that afflict thousands of their close cousins.

"Quite frankly, the question is whether the bees can weather this perfect storm," Hackett said. "Do they have the resilience to bounce back? We'll know probably by the end of the summer."

Experts from Brazil and Europe have joined in the detective work at USDA's bee lab in suburban Washington. In recent weeks, Hackett briefed Vice President Cheney 's office on the problem. Congress has held hearings on the matter.

"This crisis threatens to wipe out production of crops dependent on bees for pollination," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said in a statement.

A congressional study said honeybees add about $15 billion a year in value to our food supply.

Of the 17,000 species of bees that scientists know about, "honeybees are, for many reasons, the pollinator of choice for most North American crops," a National Academy of Sciences study said last year. They pollinate many types of plants, repeatedly visit the same plant, and recruit other honeybees to visit, too.

Pulitzer Prize-winning insect biologist E.O. Wilson of Harvard said the honeybee is nature's "workhorse _ and we took it for granted."

"We've hung our own future on a thread," Wilson, author of the book "The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth," told The Associated Press on Monday.

Beginning this past fall, beekeepers would open up their hives and find no workers, just newborn bees and the queen. Unlike past bee die-offs, where dead bees would be found near the hive, this time they just disappeared. The die-off takes just one to three weeks.

USDA's top bee scientist, Jeff Pettis, who is coordinating the detective work on this die-off, has more suspected causes than time, people and money to look into them.

The top suspects are a parasite, an unknown virus, some kind of bacteria, pesticides, or a one-two combination of the top four, with one weakening the honeybee and the second killing it.

A quick experiment with some of the devastated hives makes pesticides seem less likely. In the recent experiment, Pettis and colleagues irradiated some hard-hit hives and reintroduced new bee colonies. More bees thrived in the irradiated hives than in the non-irradiated ones, pointing toward some kind of disease or parasite that was killed by radiation.

The parasite hypothesis has history and some new findings to give it a boost: A mite practically wiped out the wild honeybee in the U.S. in the 1990s. And another new one-celled parasitic fungus was found last week in a tiny sample of dead bees by University of California San Francisco molecular biologist Joe DeRisi, who isolated the human SARS virus.

However, Pettis and others said while the parasite nosema ceranae may be a factor, it cannot be the sole cause. The fungus has been seen before, sometimes in colonies that were healthy.

Recently, scientists have begun to wonder if mankind is too dependent on honeybees. The scientific warning signs came in two reports last October.

First, the National Academy of Sciences said pollinators, especially America's honeybee, were under threat of collapse because of a variety of factors. Captive colonies in the United States shrank from 5.9 million in 1947 to 2.4 million in 2005.

Then, scientists finished mapping the honeybee genome and found that the insect did not have the normal complement of genes that take poisons out of their systems or many immune-disease-fighting genes. A fruitfly or a mosquito has twice the number of genes to fight toxins, University of Illinois entomologist May Berenbaum.

What the genome mapping revealed was "that honeybees may be peculiarly vulnerable to disease and toxins," Berenbaum said.

University of Montana bee expert Jerry Bromenshenk has surveyed more than 500 beekeepers and found that 38 percent of them had losses of 75 percent or more. A few weeks back, Bromenshenk was visiting California beekeepers and saw a hive that was thriving. Two days later, it had completely collapsed.

Yet Bromenshenk said, "I'm not ready to panic yet." He said he doesn't think a food crisis is looming.

Even though experts this year gave what's happening a new name and think this is a new type of die-off, it may have happened before.

Bromenshenk said cited die-offs in the 1960s and 1970s that sound somewhat the same. There were reports of something like this in the United States in spots in 2004, Pettis said. And Germany had something similar in 2004, said Peter Neumann, co-chairman of a 17-country European research group studying the problem.

"The problem is that everyone wants a simple answer," Pettis said. "And it may not be a simple answer."

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION ABOUT THE BEE PROBLEM.........

I am kind of skeptical about the whole thing. They admit that in the 60's and the 90's that there was a bee die-off. But as you can see they did come back. I believe they will come back again.

Just like the "GASOLINE SHORTAGE" in our country....the "MAN" is using that to break our pocket books.

Now it looks as if they might be using this bee problem to totally erase our pocket books all together.

The MEDIA and the MAN again using scare tactics to make the people of this country shiver with fear.