Gerard Butler GALS

5/25 - That's the Hollywood Way

I too am glad that Nic Cage is gone. Sorry any NC fans but his last few movies have tanked and he seems to be having issues with his hair or should I say, lack of hair!!! What was with his hair in Ghost Rider? :confused:

I think it is an insult to Gerry to say HE cannot carry a picture himself! By saying they have to have a "NAME" in order for the film to be successful because Gerry is not a big enough star is insulting! :( So all this talk about Gerry finally becoming a Star/Name in Hollywood is all BS then??? :(

I understand that Al Capone IS the star of the film so they would like to have a "big name" play him. But take a look at what Al Capone really looked like. Who in Hollywood looks even close to this face? :D

Posted Image

I have images of Danny DiVito or Bob Hoskins playing the role if they go by looks! :lol:

Alot of names have been posted to play Capone and here is another one to think about...Vince Vaughn! I know he is mainly a comedian BUT he might be able to pull it off! I have seen him play serious/crazy (Psycho 3), he is a big guy like Capone and he could look alittle like him so you never know! ;)

Edited by Scorpio613
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this business anymore. HELLO, they have a big name to get the movie going! GERRY. Not only do the ladies love him, but guys think he's awesome as well because of 300!

As for who is going to play Capone. I have no idea, but I do agree that Kevin Spacey could do it. I think he is an amzing actor and he does so many different roles and if they are seriously looking for a big name, then there! Spacey!

I would love to see Gerry and Kevin on screen together. I think with both their abilities to put 110% in to their works, they would make a powerful movie!

Brumie

:cunning:

:yippee:

Personally I always felt NC would have a problem if the movie was geared to equal status and story content in relation to Gerry and suddenly he's too busy...hmm... Great choices though ladies and what continuity if you could have Andy Garcia on board but JP is still a great option and I still rate Toby Mcguire but my daughter say's "hey mom he's taking a break" so that's a NO NO and he's a bit on the short side.. but does that really matter? I think he's due a serious character role and he can look with a few extra pounds and hair change like a young Capone... Hey, shot in the dark here and I know he's got a silly persona in his career choices, namely Friends but how about Matt Leblanc, never judge an actor by his past roles really as he has to pay the rent and I suspect he has a mean side to him to bring out on screen, he's the right height, could look like Capone if a bit old at 40 but Gerry will look a little older in the styles of Chicago 1920's... if a little CLEAN SHAVEN...OOOooer CAN'T WAIT.... :heat:

Haven't you got lots of guys who look like Capone on your TV screens in the USA ladies?.... maybe not stars but Gerry can be the star of this movie, he's rellish the challenge and who knew Kevin Costner as a STAR before the Untouchables.... everyone wanted a peice of him afterwards.... :wave:

:lolita:

xmargx

Personally I always felt NC would have a problem if the movie was geared to equal status and story content in relation to Gerry and suddenly he's too busy...hmm... Great choices though ladies and what continuity if you could have Andy Garcia on board but JP is still a great option and I still rate Toby Mcguire but my daughter say's "hey mom he's taking a break" so that's a NO NO and he's a bit on the short side.. but does that really matter? I think he's due a serious character role and he can look with a few extra pounds and hair change like a young Capone...

Well if Jared Leto could do that to "become" Mark Chapman, then anybody could do that... LOL

(speaking on guys a little on the short side, I reckon Joaquin Phoenix isn't that tall either... but I suppose Akl Capone wasn't that tall anyway, so that would be just fine, n'est pas? :kisswink:)

Hey, shot in the dark here and I know he's got a silly persona in his career choices, namely Friends but how about Matt Leblanc, never judge an actor by his past roles really as he has to pay the rent and I suspect he has a mean side to him to bring out on screen, he's the right height, could look like Capone if a bit old at 40 but Gerry will look a little older in the styles of Chicago 1920's... if a little CLEAN SHAVEN...OOOooer CAN'T WAIT.... :heat:

OMG, Matt LeBlanc!! I knew I was forgetting someone! YES! YES! YES!!!!

After looking at the pictures of Al Capone and recalling what I know about him (I was a a young girl in

Chicago when he lived in Oak Park and when he died), I think that Paul Giammati has the right look and acting talent to play the role. Capone had a stocky build, but he was not a tall man. However, if the film takes place in the twenties, they may be doing some age adjusting to fit the people cast in the roles. Giammati received an Oscar nomination and won many awards, most notably for his work in Cinderella Man and Sideways.

I don't think you want anyone too glamorous for the Capone role - he wasn't a pretty man. And, I'm guessing that he looked older than he was based on all of the pictures I have seen.

Here's some age info:

Eliot Ness 1903 - 1957

Al Capone 1899 - 1947

George Stone/Giuseppi Petri appears to be approximately in the same age range as Ness and Capone.

Jim Malone appears to be a more-seasoned veteran, so is probably a little older.

p.s.: hey, we GALS should get a share of the profits on this, we're brainstorming like we were casting executives to this movie, here... :rotflmao:

Here's some age info:

Eliot Ness 1903 - 1957

Al Capone 1899 - 1947

George Stone/Giuseppi Petri appears to be approximately in the same age range as Ness and Capone.

Jim Malone appears to be a more-seasoned veteran, so is probably a little older.

that's why I keep saying it should be someone a wee younger than Gerry - ok, I know makeup artists can do miracles, but if there's a talented thirtysomething available why not cast him? Edited by madamina

Yep.... Capone 1931, jailed aged 32, Jim Malone...50ish???? so take back five years Capone 26, Malone 45ish...take back ten years Capone 22, Malone 40ish which is about Gerry's range in real life as he's GORGEOUS.... :heat: had to get that in.... So Capone has to be plumpish, plainish, Italian a lotish and in relation to Jim Malone the seasoned detective a BIT OF A WIDE BOY and GREEDY PUNK..... and psychotic....maybe, definitly and he's just gotta be bit baby faced, able to pull off that gravity of role but be a seasoned actor so gotta be about 30...Can the player acting Capone be too plain...yes he can cause Gerry is going to be the HOT TOTTY in this movie :heat:

Just have to add.... they HAVE TO MAKE THIS MOVIE...they CANNOT NOT MAKE THIS MOVIE this is THE ONE ladies, professional acclaim at last, maybe an Oscar contender.... I can feel it in my bottle of Gerry Juice Cassie sent me...........

Here's some age info:

Eliot Ness 1903 - 1957

Al Capone 1899 - 1947

that's why I kept saying it should be someone a wee younger than Gerry - ok, I know makeup artists can do miracles, but if there's a talented thirtysomething available why not cast him?

I don't understand this business anymore. HELLO, they have a big name to get the movie going! GERRY. Not only do the ladies love him, but guys think he's awesome as well because of 300!

How's this for a BIG name? --> Posted Image :funnyface:

Hi, everybody! I don't usually write on this board, but I was wondering just how young does the actor to play Capone have to be? If Nic Cage can be chosen to play the part, why not somebody like John Travolta? He is youthful for his age and when need be he does a great villain.

I agree with you Madamina...we should get a cut!!! I was also thinking of Ray Liotta!! He's Italian and I've seen him when he's been a little heavy and I think he would be a "big" enough name??

:kisswink: Fran

Guest pilaraquarius

ooooo boy...

I know a little bit how Hollywood works, so it's unfortunate that Nic Cage bowed out...

They wanted a big name, and Nic IS still a Hollywood hotshot...He can still bring in the numbers...

But Joaquin also has the chops to pull it off...

He and G, I think, would ignite the screen together.

Posted Image

Okay, I'm going to give my take on who I think could play the part. If you want to go by who could transform themselves into a younger Al Capone then I would put my money on Mark Ruffalo

Posted Image

He has done some decent work in his career. I think giving him an opportunity such as this would be a good thing. Both him and Gerry are about in the same category as far as "Star" power so I think they could both check their egos at the door and be able to create a great partnership w/this film. Hum... maybe I will post my suggestions on the board to see if Brian De Palma would read it. I was never for Nic Cage playing the part so good riddance to him.

Cassie

Edited by Cassie

OMG....Mark really does look like Al Capone.

erm, hope not, poor guy, as Capone was really UGLY!!! Seriously, though, I can see pouting lips & thick eyebrows could do...should we start petitioning? Send huge amount of email to Brian de Palma? Chain a delegation of GALS to Art Linson Productions gates? LOL :rotflmao:

Hiya,

Okay, I have to chime here. The role of Capone must go to a "big" name. I know many of you have suggested several names, but none so far have the capacity to draw at the box office. If you go with someone like Mark Rafflo, it will not draw people to the box office. Someone might be physically perfect for the part, but not have enough clout to do what needs to be done in this movie and that is sell the tickets. Gerry needs several "big" box office successes to have the clout to do that on his own. As successful as 300 was, it was not enough to do that.

I love the man and want him to be successful. Regardless of how much some of us do not want to lose out on that friendly-to-fan Gerry as his star rises, in order for him to be successful in this business and be able to pick and chose what he wants to do, he has to show the bigwigs that he can be in movies that are successful.

While, I do think Cage was a bit miscast, he was a BIG name.

The age of Capone would have to be much younger than some of the stars you are recommending. He was tried for income tax evasion in 1931-32 and at that time he was only 32. That is the time frame of the original movie. (Actually Robert De Niro was rather old to be playing him in that film.).

My point is that in the second film, he would only be around 21-22 years of age. Gerry's character, Jimmy Malone, would be much older in that film. He is actually a fictional character. He was much older than Capone. He was a beat cop in that film, having had some sort of demotion because he used to be a detective. In the sequel, it will focus on his early years as a detective, prior to the demotion.

John Travolta, Paul Giamatti (sp?) would all be too old to play the part of Capone in this film. Start thinking much younger. I am sure they will find someone in his late 20's or early 30's to play this part.

Just MHO,

Sancre

John Travolta, Paul Giamatti (sp?) would all be too old to play the part of Capone in this film. Start thinking much younger. I am sure they will find someone in his late 20's or early 30's to play this part.

Exactly the point I was trying to make about a dozen times here. Big name + late 20's/early 30's makes me only think of Leo Di Caprio and Tobey McGuire (and Colin Farrell and Joaquin Phoenix - yes, JP *is* a big name to me)... at this point, Di Caprio would "look" a bit more Capone-ish than the others, I reckon...

Don't hit me Cassie, *ducks* but I hardly think Mark Ruffalo would meet Gerry's acting chops. (i wub you!)

Sancre, you make a lot of good points about the age range. Which makes me wonder why they were looking at Nic Cage to being with...? I mean...he's hardly in his Moonstruck days anymore. He's got a good five, almost six years on Gerry. (he was born in Long Beach...hehe, that cracks me up!)

Hiya,

Okay, I have to chime here. The role of Capone must go to a "big" name. I know many of you have suggested several names, but none so far have the capacity to draw at the box office. If you go with someone like Mark Rafflo, it will not draw people to the box office. Someone might be physically perfect for the part, but not have enough clout to do what needs to be done in this movie and that is sell the tickets. Gerry needs several "big" box office successes to have the clout to do that on his own. As successful as 300 was, it was not enough to do that.

I love the man and want him to be successful. Regardless of how much some of us do not want to lose out on that friendly-to-fan Gerry as his star rises, in order for him to be successful in this business and be able to pick and chose what he wants to do, he has to show the bigwigs that he can be in movies that are successful.

While, I do think Cage was a bit miscast, he was a BIG name.

The age of Capone would have to be much younger than some of the stars you are recommending. He was tried for income tax evasion in 1931-32 and at that time he was only 32. That is the time frame of the original movie. (Actually Robert De Niro was rather old to be playing him in that film.).

My point is that in the second film, he would only be around 21-22 years of age. Gerry's character, Jimmy Malone, would be much older in that film. He is actually a fictional character. He was much older than Capone. He was a beat cop in that film, having had some sort of demotion because he used to be a detective. In the sequel, it will focus on his early years as a detective, prior to the demotion.

Just MHO,

Sancre

This is so sad that it has to be a "BIG" name.......By now and after 300 Gerry should be able to be the so called "BIG" name!! Can somebody tell me how Leo Dicaprio became a big name? Wasn't it Titanic? Who was the big name in that movie that helped LD become "BIG"? It has to be the movie!!!! You get a hit movie...you get a big star!

JMO, *Fran*

ladyfran,

Leo was the "BIG NAME" after Titanic. Titanic is STILL the #1 blockbluster movie of all time. No other movie has hit the amount that Titanic has made at the box office. And that doesn't include dvd and vhs sales. After that Leo could write his ticket and he did. Until recently, most of Leo's films actually made a huge profit. Leo has begun chosing his roles and I think that is his right.

I want Gerry to be able to reach that point where he can chose the roles he WANTS to make and they will automaticlaly be backed. Unfortunately, as much as we think he is great, he is not at that point. For this reason, his next few films are very important. They need to be sucessful box office hits. In order to be successful, even with him as a co-star, he needs a big name attached to the film.

BTW, whoever recommended Paul Giamatti, are you sure you didn't you mean "Giovanni Ribisi"?? Paul is the actor that was in sideways and he is about 40 years old. Giovanni is the actor that portrayed the medic in Saving Private Ryan and he is ony about 33 years old.

Now with dark hair and the right makeup, he could very well be a young Capone. And he is thre right height. I am not sure if he would have big enough name or a play a strong enough character, cause he usually plays much milder characters, but he is a great actor.

My choices so far in this role are:

Joqauin Phoenix

giovanni Ribisi

Leo Decaprio (only cause of his big name factor)

Two inch spats......(right height) a few extra pounds, know he wants a break and I've said it before but TMc is your Capone....baby faced, menacing, bums on seats come on Brian P.....sign him....no ego trips here, unless I'm wrong TM is a serious man and Gerry although full of fun is nothing if not professional, a great pairing I think.....

GB can look so much older than his years and the closeness in age barely noticable and maybe JM tried to stop Capone being bad, big brother syndrome and had a bond with him for a while which the boy threw in his face...can't wait to hear the format of the movie.....if Gerry say's it's great then it must be a real GEM...

Why has it gone all quiet again.... hope the studio's aren't going to delay or cancel it....

Posted Image

:lolita:

xmargx

ladyfran,

Leo was the "BIG NAME" after Titanic. Titanic is STILL the #1 blockbluster movie of all time. No other movie has hit the amount that Titanic has made at the box office. And that doesn't include dvd and vhs sales. After that Leo could write his ticket and he did. Until recently, most of Leo's films actually made a huge profit. Leo has begun chosing his roles and I think that is his right.

I want Gerry to be able to reach that point where he can chose the roles he WANTS to make and they will automaticlaly be backed. Unfortunately, as much as we think he is great, he is not at that point. For this reason, his next few films are very important. They need to be sucessful box office hits. In order to be successful, even with him as a co-star, he needs a big name attached to the film.

BTW, whoever recommended Paul Giamatti, are you sure you didn't you mean "Giovanni Ribisi"?? Paul is the actor that was in sideways and he is about 40 years old. Giovanni is the actor that portrayed the medic in Saving Private Ryan and he is ony about 33 years old.

Now with dark hair and the right makeup, he could very well be a young Capone. And he is thre right height. I am not sure if he would have big enough name or a play a strong enough character, cause he usually plays much milder characters, but he is a great actor.

My choices so far in this role are:

Joqauin Phoenix

giovanni Ribisi

Leo Decaprio (only cause of his big name factor)

I just want to tell you that I'm posting from my sisters puter but... Ladyfran here! You made a point in a round about way which is exactly what I said! Leo Dicaprio was a "BIG" name "AFTER" Titanic!!! Which means that you have to have the "HIT" movie to become a "BIG" name!!!

:confused: Fran

The real star of Titanic was the ship and its history - it wouldn't have mattered a whole lot who was in it they would become big names.

If DePalma wants name recognition I don't see that coming from Giovanni Ribisi (if Therese Raquin is ever made he is supposed to be the wimpy husband killed by Laurent). He just isn't someone I think people go to the box office for. I'm not sure why the industry still thinks Nick Cage can do that either since most of his recent movies came and went from the theaters with barely a wimper. I would reckon Ghost Rider's semi-success wasn't due to his pull but due to the comic book fanboys who went to see it. Cage is way too old to play a young Capone, as is Kevin Spacey who is nearly 50.

For name recognition, age, and being part Italian I go for DiCaprio

For pretty decent name recognition, age and possibly the right look and intensity I go for Phoenix

I do see a resemblance in Mark Ruffalo as well but I think his name recognition factor is about the same as Gerry's

My jury is still out on Tobey McGuire - yes to age and name - not sure about rightness for the part.

I agree Susan....I, for one, don't have any issues with Leo....I think he is one of the greatest actors of his age...I've thought so ever since he made "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" and I thought he really was mentally retarded! I can remember my hubby and I saying how great it was to give someone with such a disability a chance in a movie! This last year watching him in "Blood Diamond" and "The Departed" (ok, and Titanic" a long ways back) proved to me that Leo can do any part he puts his mind to.

NOW, having said that....I am in total agreement with Frannie....there were no big names in "Titanic" and yet it was a blockbuster. "Capone" is as well known as "Titanic" and I really believe that Gerry could carry the flim on his own! When I told my hubby about the movie and that Gerry was going to play Sean Connery's part (hubby, who btw is NOT a Gerry fan) thought Gerry would be great in the part of Jimmy Malone; but when I told him Nicolas Cage was going to play Capone, he said "well, that just took a whole lot of excitement out of the movie for me." Was Kevin Costner that big of a star when the Untouchables came out?

So, I guess my point is (I do have a point honest) ..... IF the movie has to have a bigger name than Gerry (which I don't think it does) than I can't see anyone better than Leo to play Capone.

Now...have I made my case as clear as mud? :rotflmao:

hugs,

Sue

As anyone thought that maybe Nic is a little initimidated that Gerry might steel the show here with his performance? I feel Gerry is a better actor than Nic :humph: I do think that Benicio del Toro would be a better choice to match Gerry's performance. What do you think? :confused:

:frank::tens:

Edited by sultry kindred