Gerard Butler GALS

6/4 - Gerard turns air blue

http://www.metro.co.uk/

Gerard turns air blue

Monday, June 4, 2007 The censor was pretty busy at this year's MTV Movie Awards, as recipients didn't bother to control their own language.

Host Sarah Silverman also introduced a novel new way of getting winners to keep their speeches short - a hugely fat sumo wrestler who threatened to beat up any windbags.

Gerard Butler suffered his wrath after winning Best Fight for 300, with the star admitting he thought he'd lose out to Sacha Baron Cohen in Borat.

"I want to give a message to younger people and that is when you're doing an action movie, it's really good fun to kick the s*** out of as many people as you can," he said. "I had so much fun kicking arse, basically."

Jack Nicholson milked the crowd after winning Best Villain in The Departed. He picked up his gold popcorn statuette and thanked the soldiers fighting in the Middle East, before admitting: "I like being a villain."

I don't know why they singled Gerry out...he was mild in comparison to others. I didn't like the way he got the bum's rush off the stage. And as much as I think it's good Paris is going to jail Sarah Silverman was crude, rude and socially obnoxious.

:claphands: :inlove:

Not for nothing but I thought he was subdued compared to a lot of the others!! I just don't understand why Gerry is singled out for his speech!

*Fran*

Guest greyeyegoddess

Maybe they wanted to give more time to the Pirates people. Don't know, but I think it was cool for Gerry to be that concerned about what kids think about his movies.

All in all, if Gerry wasn't on, I wouldn't have even given the show a second thought. I usually don't. Yeah, that whole quip about Paris was really uncalled for and most of Sarah's jokes weren't even funny. Even a lot of the stars in the audience didn't laugh, until the camera was on them.

~alice

:music:

Meh. Gerry turned the air blue? Wow, he was just warming up. We all know how he can get when he's :fook: on a roll..... LOL!

Which is one reason we love the guy, right? :hearts:

Patti

Edited by bestillmyhearrt

I think it was lame of how Silverman came up with a gay joke for "300" - retarded.

I thought Gerard was sweet and look incredibly hot in that outfit when he got his award...I can understand "why" POT3/Johnny Depp won (marketing/advertising and in my opinion, Depp has been seen alot more by American audiences - don't hate/bash me for my opinion) but I'm very happy Gerard won an award period!

I'm thinking that the British press had a deadline to meet because it appears the only speeches they mention are Gerry's and Jack's and they were the first 2 awards handed out. I also thought the reason Gerry was the only one "rushed" by the fat guy was because HE won the "fight" award - like it was a lame way to try to incorporate Borat's fight and Gerry's - except Gerry did what he said he would do in real life - he turned and "ran" (really walked) away.

I didn't even realize he had said it the first time I watched, then they showed it again..you know what..BIG DEAL, they need to get a grip, compared to what Sarah Silverman was saying..that was nothing and maybe because of all the swearing that was going on, he thought he could.

I swear I've always said to myself if I ever won an award that I had to give a speech for I'd just keep saying, "just don't swear, just don't swear" but they just tumble out sometimes.

I hope he never EVER CHANGES.

They singled him out, funny, seems like the fatman did too..they let Sasha and Jack just go and go and go..

That is totally understandable, but he went up on stage for a few other people and was sitting right in the front..if it was just a joke, he would have been backstage.

I think the reason they had a big fat guy come up on stage was because of what he said about if he saw someone bigger than him he would run rather than fight.

I think so too. I believe MTV let the winners know in advance so I think it was an attemp at a little comic sketch by combining what Gerry said about running from a bigger guy and the way he loves to talk (remember Rock kidding about how Gerry can out-talked him!?). Since they didn't bring the big guy out until it was time to announce the winner for the "best fight." They should have let him come up with his own thing though, the air would have really turned blue then.

Not for nothing but I thought he was subdued compared to a lot of the others!! I just don't understand why Gerry is singled out for his speech!

They probably know how long-winded he can be. Gerry is adorable, but he goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on....sorta like this answer. As my sister would say, "Wind it up, Alice." LOL

In Hollywood, if your mother isn't in the Business, or your father, sister, or who ever, and you don't have a certain "tie" via family members or religion, then you are lucky to even take part in any movie or TV show at all. People sometime change their last names in order to conceal that the come from a long line of movie stars so people won't realize that its all in the family.

Sometimes I look at singers or movies stars and ask myself how is it that they are in the business when they are straight out ugly and have no to talent. Then I realize that they are the child of someone. That's the Hollywood game that Gerard isn't a part of. This is why they make a difference in him because he IS different from them. He hasn't conformed to the way they want him to be, nor was he born into it. With 300 the powers that be HAD to take notice of Gerry, but they don't know what to do with him, LOL!

Well, that's my take on it anyway. DON'T CHANGE GERRY, you are a breath of fresh air!

Never surrender!

Never retreat!

:hearts:

I agree with a lot of you! I watched the whole show and Gerry was very tame compared to most. If Gerry would not have been nominated I would have never watched the MTV Movie Awards.

I was just happy to see him win and hear that sexy accent! :cunning:

I think it was lame of how Silverman came up with a gay joke for "300" - retarded.

Honestly, I'm SO annoyed at this repetitive joke that has NO basis. I've never seen such a masculine kick-trash film that was still watchable! If it was gay, then I'm Hillary Clinton.

Perhaps people are just threatened by it...? And so they turn it into something it most definitely is NOT?

*sigh*

*puts forehead down on desk*

~Mel

I too am so sick of the gay comment regarding 300...where does that come from? People just can't stand to see real manly men. Maybe they just want to diss an awesome movie or they're just jealous of Gerry's prowess on the battlefield! (And don't take that the wrong way...)

:claphands: :inlove:

I think I was the only one who thought it was so cute that he got chased off the stage. His smile was sooo worth him getting cut off.

I actually thought it was funny myself! The duck-and-run was hilarious! I'm with ya, dinna worry! :kisswink:

~Mel

From looking at the pictures, because I didn't have the channel it was aired on, I think it was all fun. Atleast Gerry makes it look that way, he's smiling and laughing and we all know he tends to get long winded! Buts that one of the reasons I love him. He's not all perfect and high and mighty and I hope that never changes!

I'm just so happy for him and I hope he gets rushed off the stage in many more award shows to come! LOL :kisswink: All the other celebrities speeches are all the same...you can basically resite what they are going to say before they even open their mouths...so Gerry is a breath of fresh air and I hope he never changes!

Brumie

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie. Congratulations to Gerry for winning best fight! I've read several of you mention that Gerry has said he'd rather run than fight a man twice his size. When and where did he mention that? That's practical but I find it funny.

In Hollywood, if your mother isn't in the Business, or your father, sister, or who ever, and you don't have a certain "tie" via family members or religion, then you are lucky to even take part in any movie or TV show at all. People sometime change their last names in order to conceal that the come from a long line of movie stars so people won't realize that its all in the family.

Sometimes I look at singers or movies stars and ask myself how is it that they are in the business when they are straight out ugly and have no to talent. Then I realize that they are the child of someone. That's the Hollywood game that Gerard isn't a part of. This is why they make a difference in him because he IS different from them. He hasn't conformed to the way they want him to be, nor was he born into it. With 300 the powers that be HAD to take notice of Gerry, but they don't know what to do with him, LOL!

Well, that's my take on it anyway. DON'T CHANGE GERRY, you are a breath of fresh air!

Never surrender!

Never retreat!

:hearts:

God this is my first time here and Im not quite sure what Im doing. Just clicking buttons and hoping for the best!!

Totally agree with this girls insight. Thats is why I love Gerry cos he is just himself. I have never really been into celebs, they just dont interest me, but Gerry is just so different. He is a breath of fresh air! He`s interesting, funny and inspirational and he really really cares about what he does. He gets so into it and gets all excited when he`s talking about his roles. Thats why he talks too long cos he`s passionate about it. He`s not restrained and carefull about what he says, not fake and boring like the others.

And he has finally made it now hasnt he. I think he was singled out just cos he`s the man of the moment. Everyones intrigued and interested in him. Even the other celebs. Theyre impressed by his performance in 300 big time. He`s becoming a big name and people want to know more so theyre talking about him. Im in England and over here people are only just learning who he is and its all cos 300. Before if I said he`s the bloke out of Phantom or Dear Frankie they wouldnt know him. I think its great for him, but I am worried that he`ll change. He`ll always be him, but people cant help but be affected by their surroundings and the things that happen to them. I just hope he enjoys every minute and stays true to himself.

Rambling on myself now arent I, but has anyone noticed that he`s losing his accent. He sounded more American with a Scottish twang at MTV. Its bound to happen, but it makes me sad. I do love the American accent, but Ive always loved Gerrys`.

Guest Aislinn

Hi Gals,

Perhaps they mentioned his speech because he directed it at the kids out there. I'll be honest, when he first said THAT - I thought he was going to say something like - this is a movie and it might look fun but it is hard work and can be painful or you should not try this at home, etc. I don't think he was offensive in swearing. Then again, I don't get why the US censors get so upset with the S**t word. ?????

And I thought that grotesque bouncer came up because he was taking too long. Not to us, or course. We are sitting in our homes -- leaning toward the set saying "speak to me, Gerry!". But he did seem to take a bit before going up to the stage. Clearly surprised and it was so cute for us to see. But in a live broadcast, that took precious moments.

And as for Sarah Silverman -- gag -- I don't get why she keeps getting these emcee jobs -- MTV, the Indpendent Film Awards. I also think she is crude and vulgar. I also found the little repartee between Eva Mendes (whom I love) and that guy from the Knocked Up film vulgar and verra unnecessary.

Okay, I'm done. LOL

((Hugs))

~ Ashley/Aislinn