Gerard Butler GALS

5/31 - POTO - SEQUEL!

heISmyGspot

www.filmstalker.com

Andrew Lloyd Webber has revealed that he's going to be working on a new musical, not a great surprise since he turns these things out to great success like hotcakes...whatever they are. However the musical he's announced is a sequel, and why am I talking about this? Well, because it's a sequel to a successful film which helped fill the varied career rise of a certain Mr Gerard Butler. So could we see another film down the line?

I'm not so sure that Gerard Butler would want to revisit his role as his career has now turned more to the action and hero genre, and he's doing that superbly well and still managing to pick some superb and very different films without being typecast and pidgeon-holed.

However I think it's a safe bet that Andrew Lloyd Webber is thinking of the possibilities of a sequel to this ever successful musical. One is that he has a massive audience out there who love the original, another is that he could run the casting for the West End show as a BBC television series, and the last is that this has successfully made it to the big screen and brought in more exposure and profit.

From the BBC Webber himself says:

"I have got my own new show coming on next year, which is my sequel to the Phantom of the Opera, which I think is going to be called Phantom: Once Upon Another Time...But that will come on in November next year, probably, if everything goes well."

He cements the idea that if they are to continue the BBC series then he needs a show behind it, otherwise it just won't work.

"I also have to remember that it's no good thinking of these shows in isolation...There has to be a show at the end of it. We are different to other shows because there is a real prize of a real job in the West End... ...If we haven't got a show - we don't have a television show."

So it's not a crazy idea to think of a sequel to The Phantom of the Opera musical and to imagine that once it's had a successful run, or perhaps even before, that Hollywood might eye it for a film sequel.

What do you think? Would fans of the original film, and of Butler in the role, want to see a sequel, and would you want Butler to return or for the role to be recast?

* Two scans have been added to the GALS Gallery here and here.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Gerry doesn't play the Phantom. I ain't gonna watch it. I wish they would have chosen a different direction to go with the sequel and you all know what I mean without starting a war.

Love,

Tracy

:goodevil::angelnot:

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

If Gerry doesn't play the Phantom. I ain't gonna watch it. I wish they would have chosen a different direction to go with the sequel and you all know what I mean without starting a war.

Love,

Tracy

:goodevil::angelnot:

I really don't think the public would accept anyone else as the Phantom as long as Gerry lives and would consider the role. I don't thnk anyone else is capable of bringing that particular character to life the way Gerry did. I know I would not go to see it if Gerry isn't in it, of his choice or not. I just wouldn't be interested in ever seeing anyone else play the role. I hope he is interested.

Sandy

This sequel is based on the Phantom of Manhattan and takes place on Coney Island in the 1870's. First of all I understand the POM is not a good book. And the movie (if it's made) is somewhere down the line. The show will open in the West End in London in November and possibly a BBC show follow-up as they've done before. There are opinions that it will be a failure because the mystique of POTO should have ended with the movie. I think most of us have fantasized about what happened to the Phantom. I don't want that fantasy taken away...

:lalala::wuv:

Guest greyeyegoddess

We knew this was going to happen...it's been rumored for a long time. It's nice to hear some good critiques about G' work on POTO.

Couple things:

I'm not so sure that Gerard Butler would want to revisit his role as his career has now turned more to the action and hero genre, and he's doing that superbly well and still managing to pick some superb and very different films without being typecast and pidgeon-holed.

Didn't this writer just pigeon hole Gerry? Anyways...

What usually happens is the play is shown all over the world, and then movies get made. I would be very surprised if the movie gets made in the next ten years. But if Andrew pushes it, or if the play does so well, it could be made sooner. It all depends on the audience. It could bomb and that would be the end of it.

I didn't see the first one in the theater, so I probably won't go see the next one, unless someone drags me, although I really liked the Vegas production.

I don't think Gerry's fans would accept another Phantom in a movie, but as this play has been cast with various singers before, I don't see a problem casting another person, up and coming. It just won't be Gerry. It won't be like Gerry. It won't be Gerik.

~alice

:music:

I've read The Phantom of Manhattan, and yes it is a bit out of character, but it wasn't the piece of trash I was led to believe. Also ALW has said that the PotO sequel will not be a translation of PoM. Just like his musical was not a translation of Gaston Laroux' book.

I just heard that wasn't one of the better continuations. However in it's defense I have never read it.

I want to see Erik get to have sex. I mean I don't have to see it, see it, but him being denied is gut wrenching to me and one need only look at my avatar and siggy to guess with whom. I have read other continuations as well where he gets married and has children. Heck, I even wrote one of my own. Except mine preempts the movie because the killing part made me sad. Others have written and are writing what happened past the broken mirrors and while I might watch earlier versions of Erik. I can't believe I'd ever want to see a new Erik. No, I will read my books and escape to fantasy where Erik looks like a very handsome actor we all know with a little less hair and rough spot on his face.

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

It is nice to see a positive reference to Gerry's work in POTO, but I have to agree with Marg. I don't want the fantasy ruined; I haven't even read any of the Phantom books except for LeRoux's. I think the film ended perfectly and Gerry was spectacular in the role, but I wouldn't want to see him reprise it. It would just ruin it for me, especially if the sequel involved Christine.

Didn't it take over 15 years to bring the original ALW play to the screen? Following that kind of timetable, it would be too late for Gerry to do the sequel anyway even if he wanted to.

Edited by annieday

I'm listening to MOTN right now!! Much to the chagrin of my students . . .

I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said . . . no Gerry, not watchy. :lol:

But, again, the play will take forever to be produced; the film even longer, and I think I even read or heard that Gerry said he wouldn't do it? Am I imagining things?

But, then again, I know many people who said the same thing about Michael Crawford when Gerry was chosen to play Erik in the movie . . . Gerry is and always be the only Erik in my eyes, but that doesn't mean another man can't do the sequel very well.

But I probably won't see it anyway . . .

Lisa

"Didn't it take over 15 years to bring the original ALW play to the screen? Following that kind of timetable, it would too late for Gerry to do the sequel anyway even if he wanted to."

Here's another take..... (and remember, I haven't read POM or any other version)

with Gerry's new production company launched, the success of the original play and film and his part in it, ALW's huge success, is it so impossible to think both would collaborate and push it to the screen quicker?

But I do agree if it took 10-15 years to move it forward, it might be too late for G to play the part again. But, then, there have been movies where the character "grows up" throughout. And since he was wearing a mask in the original, is it so far-fetched to think they'd use a younger actor in the beginning and grow him up during the story so our Gerry could reprise the role?

Just some random thoughts..... but I'd wanna see G-man do it again, or not see it at all.

LOVE YOU GERRY!!

Barb

I read the Phantom of Manhattan a while ago and enjoyed it for what it was. Until ALW has completed the sequel and we hear something of the music I don't think the prospect of another enjoyable stage show should be ruled out. I know many wish to leave the story where the movie version ended and I understand that, but I think it's important to keep an open mind.

As for whether Gerry would be interested in reprising his role in a movie version I highly doubt that he would, even allowing for the passage of time for both the character of the Phantom and Gerry personally.

It's going to be interesting to see how the whole project develops.

That's true, Barb and Patsy, the character in the sequel could be written as older. But, I was thinking more along the lines of Gerry's career and how it will advance between now and the time it takes to get a second play to the screen. It seems unlikely to me that he would choose to go back and reprise a role that, early in his career, numerous critics lambasted him for. I'm just guessing here, of course.

Edited by annieday

I don't need a sequel, per se.

HOWEVER, I certainly would run to the stores to buy multiple copies of a "10TH Anniversary Edition" of POTO if it featured a WHOLE LOT MORE "behind the scenes" footage of Gerry in the recording studio!!! :thud::thud::thud:

I think it would be nice if Gerry was in the sequel but I don't think he would revisit that role. It was such a wonderful part for him, it's hard for me to imagine another actor doing it as well as he, but I suppose it could be done. I much like the fantasy as is but if they could get Gerry to do it, then I would love to see it.

Wow! Did you all see this? I wonder if it's true that ALW wants Gerry to do the sequel on stage? Didn't Gerry say at some point he wouldn't consider live theater again, that his future is in film? Verra interestin'!

Edited by annieday

I know when ALW was on Jonathan Ross last friday he was asked if he already had a few stand out tunes for the new musical and he said he had at least 5 that were on par with POTO or better.

That article from today's Daily Express is the first I have heard that ALW wants Gerry for the role. Correct me if I'm wrong but I always got the impression that when the film was released and panned by the critics he felt maybe he had got it wrong with choosing a raw talent to play the Phantom. He never as such said he did not think Gerry did a good job it was just a feeling I got.

ALW is very astutue in that he knows Gerry has a big fanbase and will probably guarantee bums on seats and I am so glad I have a sister in London with 2 spare rooms as she will see me every weekend if he does indeed take on the challenge. In fact I may put in for a move with my job to London - I was needing a change!!!!!!! :funnyface::funnyup:

Moira

I think it would further Gerry's career to be on stage. What better play than Phantom? Gerry is so talented. Seeing him live would be wonderful. I hope that he goes for it. I don't think he worries too much about critics. His fans & what the role brings to Gerry creatively would be the consideration. Go for it, Gerry! Who else could take your place in the role of Phantom!

My concern is would he have the vocal stamina to do 8 shows a week as has not been trained in musical theatre and it can take years to build up. A film was different as he was not doing 8 performances a week for 6-12 months. ALW's shows seem to run for years and I'd imagine if Gerry did accept it would maybe be for a 3-6 month stint with the option to extend. I know Gerry could turn his hand at anything he wanted but this is one challenge he may be reluctant to try. The one good thing is ALW has not had many flops in his time and regardless that the film flopped the original Phantom show has been one of the biggest successes in musical theatre history so it will at least garner alot of interest.

Moira

I'm wondering if this all a rumor? Not the part about ALW doing a sequel for the stage, but about Gerry starring in the role. If it proves to be true...then I don't care how bad the actual show is written, what books it is based on or anything else about the production.

I would KILL to see Gerry in any role on stage, and as for the Phantom.... well DUH!!!!

Swannie

Yes I think they can guarantee a good turn out each night just filled with gerry fans. I know Hugh Jackman pulled them in big style at The Boy From Oz on Broadway which he signed on for one year. He had the gift to make many a woman return to see the show multiple times - you may not have initially been a fan on the way in but you were on the way out.

In fact if it is true I'll be camping outside that box office to ensure opening night tickets and 2nd night and 3rd----------and 6 month-----12 month :funnyup:

Moira