Gerard Butler GALS

I'm in the skeptical camp. About it being true, about it being a good idea, about sequels in general. I think some stories should be left to stand alone. I mean they talked about a 300 sequel! Um hello they died! In films sequels are pushed when the first film does well and the studio wants a sure thing. And more times than not it's contrived to recreate authentic moments from the original. *Shudders* I would hate to see POTO become that.

I'm with Luv in that I was a rabid POTO fan long before I ever knew of Gerry. I was one that was not as enthralled with Michael Crawford either and loved the other three Phantoms I saw much more. But ALW has said on numerous occasions that Gerry gave the role the raw sexual rock n roll element he always wanted. It's my understanding that Michael Crawfords portrayal was MCs creation NOT ALW. Anyway I got off track :D I will always love POTO whether it s the movie or the stage production. It's magical with or without Gerry. (I actually prefer the way the play has him magically disappear to him walking through a broken mirror)

I also agree that singing in a studio and singing on stage are 2 completely different animals. I love Gerry's voice, but I can see him singing the same way he did in the movie and like Swan said, ruining his vocal chords. Not good.

So I guess we go in to wait and see mode. But I have to say I would be surprised if he did it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHHHHH - don't give away all our secrets!! :lol: But somehow I doubt the BBB will allow us to use those names. :rotflmao:

But I agree - leave well enough alone . . . when I saw POTO moive for the first time, while I was already a blubbering mess, when I saw that Erik left the rose on Christine's grave, and Raoul acknowledged it, I really cried hard. I don't need any more to the story. I agree, Dawn, it IS magical and should be left that way!

And honestly, Gerry got enough shite for his singing in the movie (why, I have no idea) I would really be pessed to hear/read what those people would say about him on stage. :tantrum:

Edited by phoenixgirl

Thanks Swannie! I was wondering where all this "excitement" was coming from. But I haven't quite made up my mind yet if it is a good idea.... I do know I've read many posts over the years I've been here of how they would love to see a different ending or another POTO. I think that's the reason that we are reading all the POTO related books because we really don't want it to end! Guess that is why I'm sitting on the fence with this one! Just one question....Even if you don't like the idea....would you go see it anyway especially if Gerry did decide to do it?? :kisswink::pointy: Yeah I know.....I'll meet you there!! :D

:wave: Fran

"I think some stories should be left to stand alone. I mean they talked about a 300 sequel! Um hello they died! In films sequels are pushed when the first film does well and the studio wants a sure thing. And more times than not it's contrived to recreate authentic moments from the original."

Ok, here I am to cause havoc....

What about a 300 "prequel"?

Now there's a thought (maybe mine only, but I'd be in Spartan Heaven!) And it's do-able! But, alas, Gerry swears he'll never do that workout prep again - sigh...

Lisa, Moira - Love the G.I.T.S. idea! I'll take a 1st class ticket, please...

:wuv: Barb

This sequel is based on the Phantom of Manhattan and takes place on Coney Island in the 1870's. First of all I understand the POM is not a good book. And the movie (if it's made) is somewhere down the line. The show will open in the West End in London in November and possibly a BBC show follow-up as they've done before. There are opinions that it will be a failure because the mystique of POTO should have ended with the movie. I think most of us have fantasized about what happened to the Phantom. I don't want that fantasy taken away...

:lalala::wuv:

Yes, it has been rumored for a while, but you know what, I don't care if the book is no good or not, if Gerry takes the role for the movie I know he will turn it into WONDERFUL. I would love to see him reprise this particular role. I can't see anyone else in the role, or I wouldn't waste my time. He is the Phantom now to me, and there can be no other. I hope it happens, I'm sure Andrew Lloyd-Webber would never put on anything that wasn't great, and I am pleased no end that he said he would not consider anyone else for the role. How great is that. Talent recognizes talent. GO GERRY!! Just keep amazing everyone!!!!!!

It is nice to see a positive reference to Gerry's work in POTO, but I have to agree with Marg. I don't want the fantasy ruined; I haven't even read any of the Phantom books except for LeRoux's. I think the film ended perfectly and Gerry was spectacular in the role, but I wouldn't want to see him reprise it. It would just ruin it for me, especially if the sequel involved Christine.

Didn't it take over 15 years to bring the original ALW play to the screen? Following that kind of timetable, it would be too late for Gerry to do the sequel anyway even if he wanted to.

Not if the Phantom was older as well. Besides, I would love to see a positive continuance to life for Eric after the broken mirrors. I would love to see the PHANTOM'S life be fulfulled with love and acceptance. No one could pull that off but GERRY. I WOULD KILL FOR HIM TO REPRISE THAT ROLE AND GIVE EVERYONE MORE FANTACY about the Phantom. Please, God, make this happen in my lifetime. I don't care how old the Phantom or Gerry is. He will always be BEAUTIFUL to me.

:whome2:

Yes, Darlin,

Who else would I be talking about?

That's true, Barb and Patsy, the character in the sequel could be written as older. But, I was thinking more along the lines of Gerry's career and how it will advance between now and the time it takes to get a second play to the screen. It seems unlikely to me that he would choose to go back and reprise a role that, early in his career, numerous critics lambasted him for. I'm just guessing here, of course.

We also have to remember that Gerry SAID he loved the role and that he credits it for his success and for his getting 300. I like to think he would love to reprise the role and bring ERIC out of the endless seclusion the movie left him end. I think that Gerry would love for Phantom to have a happy ending for everyone to fanticize about. I know I certainly would. I have wanted the Phantom to find love and acceptance and happiness since I was eight. Oh, God, PLEASE, in my lifetime.

I know when ALW was on Jonathan Ross last friday he was asked if he already had a few stand out tunes for the new musical and he said he had at least 5 that were on par with POTO or better.

That article from today's Daily Express is the first I have heard that ALW wants Gerry for the role. Correct me if I'm wrong but I always got the impression that when the film was released and panned by the critics he felt maybe he had got it wrong with choosing a raw talent to play the Phantom. He never as such said he did not think Gerry did a good job it was just a feeling I got.

ALW is very astutue in that he knows Gerry has a big fanbase and will probably guarantee bums on seats and I am so glad I have a sister in London with 2 spare rooms as she will see me every weekend if he does indeed take on the challenge. In fact I may put in for a move with my job to London - I was needing a change!!!!!!! :funnyface::funnyup:

Moira

Moira,

ALW stated many times that he could not have asked for a better Phantom than Gerry. He had the rock and roll sensibility he had always wanted for Phantom and that the director had made a perfect choice in Gerry. He also stated in an interview I just read somewhere that he would not even consider another actor for Phantom in a new movie if Gerry could be persuaded to reprise the role. How great is that for our Gerry. The best compliment by the godfather of the theatre.

I'm going to pretty much copy what I just said at another forum on the same subject...but I'll preface it by saying that I'm one of the fans who discovered Gerry because I was already a fan of The Phantom of the Opera long before the movie was released in 2004.

I fell in love with the music and the story when it first transferred from London to Broadway. I didn't get to see it live until after the movie premiered, but I followed it very closely for years. Neither Gerry nor Michael Crawford is my favorite to play the Phantom...Hugh Panaro has my heart there. He amazed me in the role fifteen times and I've been very fortunate to get to him as a friend - something that wouldn't have happened if not for the movie.

But I recognize every actor who has played the role - from Lon Chaney to Ramin Karimloo - has his own unique chapter in the story's long history and fans who love his portrayal.

Now, as for the sequel...

I've always been completely against the idea of ANY sort of sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. It's nearly impossible to create any sort of sequel to this story that doesn't negate the very things that make it so beautiful and touching and powerful. And the premise of the source material for the sequel - even with major tweaking - especially strips away everything that is so moving and wonderful about the original. Every bit of meaning...all the love and sacrifice and redemption of the kiss and in the Phantom releasing Christine to be with Raoul...is undermined by it.

Oh, and the new title? It's awful. Whatever happened to the elegant Gothic romance of the original? This title sounds like something out of a very trite, syrupy Disney-esque fan fic jammed full of pretentious romantic cliches and affected flowery language written by a preteen.

Even if we can hypothetically say that, despite everything, the musical is a success on stage...a lot can still happen before it becomes a film. It could and probably would be years between the sequel's stage premiere and a film. For example, Chicago premiered in 1975, but didn't reach the silver screen until 2002, A Chorus Line opened in 1970 and made it to film in 1985, Hairspray took five years from Broadway in 2002 to the movie last year. Sweeney Todd took even longer...almost thirty years. I believe it's taken about ten years for Mamma Mia to become a film.

And, of course, it took from 1988 to 2004 before The Phantom of the Opera transferred from stage to screen and there were, over the years, many news stories saying that Lloyd Webber was seriously considering various actors for the title role...everyone from Michael Crawford to John Travolta to Michael Jackson.

Even now, Gerry is not the only one being suggested for the role. There have been other news items mentioning John Barrowman and a Welsh singer named Rhydian as potential Phantoms. Not to mention some people have speculated that Josh Groban is being groomed for the role since he will be singing the role in a BBC radio concert version of The Phantom of the Opera.

Plus, if the sequel fails on stage, the chances of a flop musical being made into a film are lower than low. You don't see producers lining up to make movies of Lestat or Lloyd Webber's most recent musical, The Woman In White. The latter was a good musical, but nowhere near a success in London or Broadway.

Besides, does anyone here have a direct line to Gerry's own thoughts and feelings on the matter? For all we know, he might want the role very badly. Maybe he goes to sleep every night with a prayer that he will be offered a chance to play the role again in any form - stage or screen, sequel or otherwise. Maybe he wants it so much he'd make a Faustian bargain for it. Or maybe he wouldn't don the mask again for love or money. Maybe he'd say that, while he loved the first go-round, he's just not interested. Maybe he just wouldn't care to deal with the hassle of the make-up process a second time or expose himself to more hostile stage fans (given the negative feelings towards just the idea of this sequel, ANY actor who signs on will be in the crosshairs) or more criticism of his voice, justified or not.

But, at this point, no matter if you're the sort who welcomes the chance to experience many different actors in the Phantom role or have some sort of monogamous love for only Gerry's Phantom and will never see any other actor in the role...whether you like, love, hate, or are totally neutral on Gerry as the Phantom...whether you're ready to sell your soul to see him damage his vocal chords in a stage performance...whether you won't see the sequel no matter who they cast...at this point, it's just speculation now and, at this point, all anyone can do is just take a deep breath and chill until official news comes along.

Edited by Panarophile

I'm going to pretty much copy what I just said at another forum on the same subject...but I'll preface it by saying that I'm one of the fans who discovered Gerry because I was already a fan of The Phantom of the Opera long before the movie was released in 2004.

I fell in love with the music and the story when it first transferred from London to Broadway. I didn't get to see it live until after the movie premiered, but I followed it very closely for years. Neither Gerry nor Michael Crawford is my favorite to play the Phantom...Hugh Panaro has my heart there. He amazed me in the role fifteen times and I've been very fortunate to get to him as a friend - something that wouldn't have happened if not for the movie.

But I recognize every actor who has played the role - from Lon Chaney to Ramin Karimloo - has his own unique chapter in the story's long history and fans who love his portrayal.

Now, as for the sequel...

I've always been completely against the idea of ANY sort of sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. It's nearly impossible to create any sort of sequel to this story that doesn't negate the very things that make it so beautiful and touching and powerful. And the premise of the source material for the sequel - even with major tweaking - especially strips away everything that is so moving and wonderful about the original. Every bit of meaning...all the love and sacrifice and redemption of the kiss and in the Phantom releasing Christine to be with Raoul...is undermined by it.

Oh, and the new title? It's awful. Whatever happened to the elegant Gothic romance of the original? This title sounds like something out of a very trite, syrupy Disney-esque fan fic jammed full of pretentious romantic cliches and affected flowery language written by a preteen.

Even if we can hypothetically say that, despite everything, the musical is a success on stage...a lot can still happen before it becomes a film. It could and probably would be years between the sequel's stage premiere and a film. For example, Chicago premiered in 1975, but didn't reach the silver screen until 2002, A Chorus Line opened in 1970 and made it to film in 1985, Hairspray took five years from Broadway in 2002 to the movie last year. Sweeney Todd took even longer...almost thirty years. I believe it's taken about ten years for Mamma Mia to become a film.

And, of course, it took from 1988 to 2004 before The Phantom of the Opera transferred from stage to screen and there were, over the years, many news stories saying that Lloyd Webber was seriously considering various actors for the title role...everyone from Michael Crawford to John Travolta to Michael Jackson.

Even now, Gerry is not the only one being suggested for the role. There have been other news items mentioning John Barrowman and a Welsh singer named Rhydian as potential Phantoms. Not to mention some people have speculated that Josh Groban is being groomed for the role since he will be singing the role in a BBC radio concert version of The Phantom of the Opera.

Plus, if the sequel fails on stage, the chances of a flop musical being made into a film are lower than low. You don't see producers lining up to make movies of Lestat or Lloyd Webber's most recent musical, The Woman In White. The latter was a good musical, but nowhere near a success in London or Broadway.

Besides, does anyone here have a direct line to Gerry's own thoughts and feelings on the matter? For all we know, he might want the role very badly. Maybe he goes to sleep every night with a prayer that he will be offered a chance to play the role again in any form - stage or screen, sequel or otherwise. Maybe he wants it so much he'd make a Faustian bargain for it. Or maybe he wouldn't don the mask again for love or money. Maybe he'd say that, while he loved the first go-round, he's just not interested. Maybe he just wouldn't care to deal with the hassle of the make-up process a second time or expose himself to more hostile stage fans (given the negative feelings towards just the idea of this sequel, ANY actor who signs on will be in the crosshairs) or more criticism of his voice, justified or not.

But, at this point, no matter if you're the sort who welcomes the chance to experience many different actors in the Phantom role or have some sort of monogamous love for only Gerry's Phantom and will never see any other actor in the role...whether you like, love, hate, or are totally neutral on Gerry as the Phantom...whether you're ready to sell your soul to see him damage his vocal chords in a stage performance...whether you won't see the sequel no matter who they cast...at this point, it's just speculation now and, at this point, all anyone can do is just take a deep breath and chill until official news comes along.

okay...WOW! I couldnt have said it better myself, you said it perfectly

Gerry, go for it but this time you go in as the equal of ALW and JS, no leg shaking out of body ecperience this time around, you are the "Phantom". POTO is a classic through history, GB if you have the time and you negociate your asking price, you should do it. If you wish you should also do it on Broadway, god knows they could use your talent.

Sure it's all speculation... but that's half of what Fandom/Phandom is all about. I find speculating to be enjoyable... discussing all the possibilities, sharing our opinions... while all the while knowing that what happens happens, and we have no influence over any of it.

We speculate about everything when it comes to Gerry; the roles he wants, the roles he is offered, and the roles he turns down.

It's fun!

Swannie

ALW's last foray into Broadway was pretty much a flop...The Woman in White. I had wanted to see it, but the reviews were pretty bad and it had a short run.

;):wuv:

ALW's last foray into Broadway was pretty much a flop...The Woman in White. I had wanted to see it, but the reviews were pretty bad and it had a short run.

I bought the soundtrack to 'Woman in White' a while ago, and it wasnt very good. I dont recommend it. Gosh, I just keep thinking about what a disasterous idea this Poto sequel is. Like, if it flops and it could, it would possibely ruin Andrew Llyod Webber. Not to mention it would ruin the career of whom ever plays the Phantom. Who ever plays that role, especially if the show failed, would be synonymous with that role forever and not in a good way. If the sequel didnt live up to the expectations of the myriad of followers(and believe you me theres a very good chance of that), then the followers would turn against it, and in a BIG way. Oh god...how can ALW be so arrogant?!? He is rich enough.

I bought the soundtrack to 'Woman in White' a while ago, and it wasnt very good. I dont recommend it. Gosh, I just keep thinking about what a disasterous idea this Poto sequel is. Like, if it flops and it could, it would possibely ruin Andrew Llyod Webber. Not to mention it would ruin the career of whom ever plays the Phantom. Who ever plays that role, especially if the show failed, would be synonymous with that role forever and not in a good way. If the sequel didnt live up to the expectations of the myriad of followers(and believe you me theres a very good chance of that), then the followers would turn against it, and in a BIG way. Oh god...how can ALW be so arrogant?!? He is rich enough.

The Woman In White like much of Lloyd Webber's post-Phantom work is inconsistent. The book did a decent enough job adapting the plot of Collins' novel. In fact, I liked how they condensed the story. The score, however, was hit-or-miss. Some songs were very good - though nowhere near as memorable as anything from Phantom, Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, or even Aspects of Love. Others were forgettable. And the staging was questionable.

I didn't have a chance to see it live, but I have seen a lot of clips and, in general, I like it...though it's weak compared to his past shows. Friends whose opinions are generally similar to mine had mixed reactions. Some LOVED it, some thought it was just O.K.. Still, selections from it do get a lot of play on my battered green iPod...especially "I Believe My Heart."

One major problem that contributed to its demise was the cast illnesses. In London, Michael Crawford was the original Count Fosco, but he had to leave due to health issues. He was replaced by Michael Ball who transferred with the show to NYC, but was often out sick...I've heard people say that the fat suit worn for the role can cause problems for actors. Also, the lovely Maria Friedman who was very good as Marion, was treated for breast cancer during the show's run and had to take a leave. Some people specifically buy tickets to see certain stars in the role and absences like that certainly can contribute to the poor grosses that contributed to the closing.

I'm not sure it would completely ruin the career of the actor to play the Phantom if they already had a solid body of work. But, believe me, it's not easy for an actor to overcome being in a flop. It's been two years since Lestat failed on Broadway and Hugh Panaro has gone on to amazing reviews in an excellent production of Sondheim's Company, toured in Europe with Barbra Streisand, gotten a wonderful audience response as a concert artists (including nearly two-minute standing ovations for his "Music of the Night"), and is being deservedly praised for his performance in the current Philadelphia production of Les Miserables. But, despite that and despite having a theatrical resume that goes back to the age of thirteen, I know firsthand that the stigma of playing the title role in Lestat is still attached to his name and there will always be people who'll know him primarily as "that guy who was in Lestat.

Edited by Panarophile

Angel... I have to say, it is not arrogance that makes Andrew want to recapture the magic of POTO. The man is an artist... and like most artists, he has seasons of creativity and seasons where his artistic genius is blocked. He strikes me as a man who MUST create, and if he does not, like most artists he will become horribly depressed and aimless.

Think of Andrew like the Phantom himself... he wants to get his creativity out into the world and share it with others. It's not money or fame that motivate him, it is the opiate of knowing his creations will come to life.

Whether we like or dislike his next show.... he's going to continue to create. One thing about Andrew is, he does not have the talent to write original stories, from which he can create his musicals... so therefore he must rely on existing stories for his inspiration.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Gerry and a sequel to POTO:

1) I would love to see a sequel as I think ALW would make sure it is a quality production such as the first.

2)I don't know if Gerry would do it or not but I would only want it if Gerry played the Phantom and wouldn't it be great if Emmy would be available to do Christine.

3) I think the original left some answered questions that I would love to see answered. And I alsowould love to see Gerry have a more involved romantic/intimate scene as well.

There is no one but Gerry who could play this role as far as I'm concerned. For those who didn't see it on the big screen - what a loss. It was fantastic!!!! It is the movie in which I fell in love with Gerry and is still to this day the film that I think he was the best in. He has also listed POTO has one of his favorite roles so maybe.....

I've read some "sequels" per se but not this one. If this does go and Gerry is on board I will most surely support it. I just hope it's not some over done production is all. POTO is like something that should not be messed with so this better be good is all I'm saying.

Cassie

"Didn't it take over 15 years to bring the original ALW play to the screen? Following that kind of timetable, it would too late for Gerry to do the sequel anyway even if he wanted to."

Here's another take..... (and remember, I haven't read POM or any other version)

with Gerry's new production company launched, the success of the original play and film and his part in it, ALW's huge success, is it so impossible to think both would collaborate and push it to the screen quicker?

But I do agree if it took 10-15 years to move it forward, it might be too late for G to play the part again. But, then, there have been movies where the character "grows up" throughout. And since he was wearing a mask in the original, is it so far-fetched to think they'd use a younger actor in the beginning and grow him up during the story so our Gerry could reprise the role?

Just some random thoughts..... but I'd wanna see G-man do it again, or not see it at all.

LOVE YOU GERRY!!

Barb

Barb,

I so agree with your thoughts on this. OMG, would I love to see Gerry doing the Phantom again. It would be so awesome!!! I see nothing wrong with a sequel. Yes, while it is true that most sequels made don't ever measure up to the original, just think what a draw this movie would have. I would love to see them take some of Sadie's writings and put it on screen with Gerry and why did it take so long the first time to produce? Could it be that ALW wanted it to be perfect in his eyes and since it has been done, wouldn't it be easier to do a sequel. If it doesn't quite measure up to the original so what. I have seen movies that were great that had sequels that were not as good but that did not keep me from loving the original. In my humble opinion, if they could put it together in alot less time and be able to use some of the original characters (Gerry, Emmy, Patrick, and of course Mdme. Giry) wouldn't it be a smash. I would be the first one at the theatre to see it. :2cents:

And these are my thoughts

and I too love you Gerry :phantom::donjuan::reddeath2::reddeath::phantom2: He is my phantom Knight

Tojo

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA EVER. GERRY WON'T DO THIS.

I HOPE NOT.

that movie is one of my favourites! i love the show! there is so much magic...

making it a sequel is another Hollywood no-no; sequels are NEVER as successful as the first movies, and rarely reflect good things on both counterparts. bad idea.

I don't reply often, but felt the need this time.I too have been a fan of POTO,since first reading the book in high school.I loved every actors version of Erik and every directors retelling of the story,but Gerry's is my fav.I really,really dont think in my very humble opinion that it could be topped. :wuv:

Well, on occasion, sequels have been as good as or better than the original. Take The Godfather for instance--I think the second movie was every bit as good as the first.

However, with the POTO, it is possible to take away from the original because if Christine and Erik reunite then the whole bittersweet ending of him realizing the true meaning of love and letting her go is taken away. JMHO. If Gerry does it, which I would find surprising, I will certainly see it.

I think it would further Gerry's career to be on stage. What better play than Phantom? Gerry is so talented. Seeing him live would be wonderful. I hope that he goes for it. I don't think he worries too much about critics. His fans & what the role brings to Gerry creatively would be the consideration. Go for it, Gerry! Who else could take your place in the role of Phantom!

Hmmmm, and think about this.... IF he took the stage role, he would be in one spot (geographically speaking) which would give him time to meet someone...

Oh, I can hear you all screaming at me now! HE CAN'T BE A BACHELOR FOREVER, GALS!!

Besides, you wanna see the man happy(er), dontcha?!

Hey Barb honey thanks so much for thinking about me. I'll be hitting 40 in Jan 2010 and it really is about time I get married :funnyup::funnyface:

Moira

Get in line behind me fram. :wave:

This also seems a relevent place to post this;

Has ALW been pipped at the post? The very respected German composer Peer Raben, who has a list of musicals and movie music credits almost as impressive as ALW's (though less well known in the U.S.) has ALREADY written a sequel called The Phantom of Paris which was completed shortly before his death last January.

A Portuguese theatre company is staging this at the moment, and intends to make plans to take it all the way up to London's West End.

Could it be swords at dawn in a cemetery..........hardly but I think ALW will be feeling a little miffed right now, unless he has seen this trailer,

http://www.phantom-von-paris.de/pp-trailer-dsl.html Sorry, :funnyface: I have to laugh now.

Seems there could be two musical Phantoms in London soon.

hugs,

Anna x

http://www.phantomvonparis.co.uk/