Gerard Butler GALS

5/30 POTO Sequel Aiming for 11/09 Bow in London

www.playbill.com

The sequel to Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera is aiming for a bow in London's West End in November 2009. The Stage reports that the working title for Lloyd Webber's new musical is Phantom: Once Upon Another Time. The celebrated composer told BBC, "I have got my own new show coming on next year, which is my sequel to The Phantom of the Opera, which I think is going to be called Phantom: Once Upon Another Time. But that will come on in November next year, probably, if everything goes well."

A Lloyd Webber spokesperson told Playbill.com March 26 that American lyricist (and 2008 Tony nominee) Glenn Slater is now working on words to Lloyd Webber's music for the sequel to the smash international hit.

With composer Alan Menken, Slater wrote new songs for the Disney Broadway musical, The Little Mermaid, as well as the dawning musicals Leap of Faith and Sister Act.

Lloyd Webber will have book and music credit on the Phantom sequel, in which the title character travels to Coney Island around 1900 and is reunited with soprano Christine. The show is not based on source material.

Jack O'Brien (Hairspray, The Invention of Love, The Coast of Utopia) is to direct the project. Bob Crowley (The Coast of Utopia) will be the designer.

Frederick Forsyth, who wrote a novel called "The Phantom of Manhattan," was reportedly working with Lloyd Webber on the sequel in its early stages, but that is no longer the case.

The Daily Mail previously described the sequel plot this way: "The Phantom has slipped away to New York and has set up a fairground world on Coney Island, along with Madame Giry and her daughter, Meg. He organizes a concert in Manhattan for Christine, the object of his desire. Christine travels to the U.S. with her husband Raoul and their teenage son, who happens to be a musical genius...just like the Phantom."

The winner of seven 1988 Tony Awards, including Best Musical, The Phantom of the Opera (which originated in London) became the longest-running show in Broadway history on Jan. 9, 2006. It surpassed Lloyd Webber's Cats, which was a record-holder for its run of 7,485 performances. Phantom celebrated 20 years on Broadway in January 2008.

Lloyd Webber turned 60 March 22 (which is also composer Stephen Sondheim's birthday).

The Harold Prince-directed production of The Phantom of the Opera continues at the Majestic Theatre.

In addition to the above-named shows, Lloyd Webber's theatre work also includes Aspects of Love, The Beautiful Game, Whistle Down the Wind, By Jeeves, Starlight Express, The Woman in White, Tell Me on a Sunday, Song & Dance and more.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hmm::phantom:

:drool1:

:cheer: I want it...I want it... I would love to see the rest of the story.

That is if Gerry wants to do it. I'm not too keen on someone else in the film. I don't think anyone brings the spirit of the Phantom alive like Gerry does. I think Gerry said one time, that he is always open to a role until he reads the script. I think maybe that would apply to this also. If it's good, he might do it. There is always hope.

The new one could add more to everyone's fantasy if it's done right. A reprise of "Red death", are you kidding? It would be a definate YES for me.

Sally

I can handle a stage version of POTO without Gerry, but NOT a film version without Gerry and Emmy and Patrick (with a better wig!). It just wouldn't work! Let's hope this sequel has a better ending then the awful "Phantom of Manhattan" did!

Suzie

:bonk: Was I the only Gal who enjoyed reading 'The Phantom of Manhattan'? It wasn't the most inspiring piece of literature but I thought some aspects of it would bode well as a stageplay. Knowing the works of ALW it is certain to still be a lavish theatrical production, and London is a mere 2 hours away too.

hugs,

Anna X

I really would love to know what Gerry thinks about all this. Surely, he's heard of this by now. :hmm:

Me thinks Gerry needs another jog by "Just Jared!" Inquiring minds want to know. :pointy:

~ Donna Lee

:bonk: Was I the only Gal who enjoyed reading 'The Phantom of Manhattan'? It wasn't the most inspiring piece of literature but I thought some aspects of it would bode well as a stageplay. Knowing the works of ALW it is certain to still be a lavish theatrical production, and London is a mere 2 hours away too.

hugs,

Anna X

Anna, I think you and I are in the rare minority whan it comes to Phantom of Manhattan. A lot of phans won't even read it! Passing judgement without even trying. I liked it too, eventhough Erik et al were slightly out of charachter. I have heard that ALW is only 'loosely' basing the new musical on the book. We will just have to wiat and see.

I have not read the book... but personally, I am enchanted by the concept of the Phantom as a clown. Reminds me of the tragic opera Pagliachi. I can so see the Phantom dressed in the classic black and white French or Italian interpretation of a clown.

Posted Image

Edited by Swansong

Has ALW been pipped at the post? The very respected German composer Peer Raben, who has a list of musicals and movie music credits almost as impressive as Webber's (though less well known in the U.S.) has ALREADY written a sequel called The Phantom of Paris was completed shortly before his death last January.

A Portuguese theatre company is even now putting it on, and states that it has plans to take it all the way up to London's West End.

Could it be swords at dawn in a cemetery..........hardly but I think ALW will be feeling a little miffed right now, unless he has seen this trailer,

http://www.phantom-von-paris.de/pp-trailer-dsl.html Sorry, :funnyface: I have to laugh now.

Seems there could be two musical Phantoms in London soon.

hugs,

Anna x

http://www.phantomvonparis.co.uk/

Edited by Anna
  • 3 months later...

Well, then I guess it's official. Like has been mentioned, I too do not care if Gerry plays the stage production but if it goes to film, I think he should play the Phantom along with Emmy and Patrick again. In my mind and heart, Gerry IS the only Phantom in the story. No one could do it like him! I had heard that Lloyd Webber had wanted him again, but not sure if it was for the stage or film or both.

Too bad Josh Groban is not seventeen anymore. He would have been perfect for the teenaged son! Perhaps the American Idol runner up from last year, the other David! He was only seventeen then but looked twelve! The trouble with Emmy, however, is she would have to play someone old enough to have a teenaged son. She's still so young being only in her early twenties. Of course, there's always make-up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks KP, for the update!

D

The title's better. And no mention of the teenage son. Sounds like it's been reworked again to be a bit more plausible. Wonder if Raoul is still a drunk in it, as other rumors have reported?

If ALW somehow pulls this off, I might have to go see it in London. I doubt it can live up to the original but maybe it can come close. :)

Note that it is no longer Phantom of Manhattan and will be completely different once it hits the stage if Andrew has anything to do with it.....and he does take the hands on approach to all his babies! He will take the wait and see attitude before even considering it for the big screen. While he has mentioned that he would love to have Gerard Butler back to reprise the role...I'm afraid that Gerry will not reprise this role due to his new found testosterone thanks to 300!

If ALW somehow pulls this off, I might have to go see it in London. I doubt it can live up to the original but maybe it can come close. :)

I'm hoping it will be good and at least a modest hit so it can play on Broadway as well, but I'm having doubts...I hope I'm wrong.

• 3 months later...

While I would certainly go the theater and love seeing Gerry in a live production, I'm still not feeling the love for this storyline. The love may certainly go on -- but set in Coney Island?? I'd support GB to end if he does indeed have one of the three phantom roles, but I just have a gut feeling this is a turkey. I also don't see how he'd give up so much time to a theatrical production that would take him away from making movies. Time will tell.

I don't think Gerry would consider doing a stage version except maybe a one time appearance. But you never know. I think he had said once he might accept the part in the screen version again. If the stage one is a hit, maybe it will go to screen.

I liked ALW original title: The Phantom; Once Upon Another Time. This new title "Love Never Dies". That sounds too much like the title of a James Bond flick!

Upon reading some of these posts, I'm trying to figure out when Raoul was ever a "drunk". I'd heard many versions, most likely from the many "sequels" that have been written, that he had lost his families fortune and was relying upon Christine's fame and fortune. But if you remember, at the end of the first one, in order for the story to maintain continuity, Raoul is visiting Christine's gravesite as a very "wealthy" looking older man, albeit somewhat disabled, not looking like the atypical alcholic, ravaged by years of drinking.

I like to think that end scene ties in with the sequel where Madame Giry, still loyal to the service of the Phantom, went to the auction to purchase the music box and with it and the ring that Christine gave to the Phantom, was to place those items upon Christine's grave when he died as his final token of love. As you can tell, Christine died two years earlier when Raoul was there with the music box. He notices the infamous ring and rose tied with the black ribbon. I would say that indicates that the Phantom is gone too.

I think this is one of the most beautiful love stories of all time, thanks to ALW. If it hadn't been resurrected in to this beautiful musical, it would have stayed mearly in the form of a novel of horror.

D

P.S. Maybe we should plan a "meet" and go see this together when it hits NYC? I'd sign up!

I just can't imagine Gerry doing this on the stage just because of the amount of time involved and it would mean placing his movie career on hold. With Evil Twins and the movies he has lined up for next year and the year after I would be surprised. He might do a Phantom movie since it would be limited filming time, but I would bet we would see him as Leonidas in theaters before we would see him as The Phantom. Just my thoughts.

:hmm:

But we might see him in a Shakespeare in the Park in New York one summer....

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

I have never held out hope of Gerry doing the sequel on stage. He couldn't. His voice, while being perfect in the role of Erik, could not hold up under the pressures of 8 shows a week. I am hoping that this new musical will make it to the screen, and that ALW goes back to the font and has Joel, Gerry, and Emmy reprise their roles. Although I hardly doubt that Emmy would return as Christine. I believe I heard somewhere that while she loved the part, she did not necessarily want to do it again.

Time will tell...

I'd love to see the main characters' actors back for a sequel on the screen version, especially Gerry. Just because he's done some really macho roles, Gerry is still a character actor and could pull it off again. That he would want to, is another thing. I would hope that he would. For me, there will only be one Phantom of The Opera and that's Gerard Butler.

D

Ladies... based on what I've been reading on some of the Phantom boards, the whole notion of Gerry doing the stage show sequel is nothing but a rumor. It was mentioned in one article and then totally blown up out of proportion by the UK press.

I wish Sir Andrew would cast Mario Frangoulis. His vocal performance of MOTN rivals any other stage Phantom I've heard!

Swannie

Ladies... based on what I've been reading on some of the Phantom boards, the whole notion of Gerry doing the stage show sequel is nothing but a rumor. It was mentioned in one article and then totally blown up out of proportion by the UK press.

I wish Sir Andrew would cast Mario Frangoulis. His vocal performance of MOTN rivals any other stage Phantom I've heard!

Swannie

Oh, I agree with you on this, Swannie. He's amazing! I still hope Gerry would consider doing the one for the screen version if ever it goes to that though. I had heard somewhere that ALW had approached Mario for the part of Raoul. I thought that strange but, hey, it's his show.

D

For me, there will only be one Phantom of The Opera and that's Gerard Butler.

D

And the same for me - only Gerry - he

is the Phantom!

I am with you on that...only Gerry for the movie version ...having said that for the stage I think Josh Groban would be superb...with just a touch of grey in his hair. As for the leading lady anyone but Sarah Brightman PLEASE? What is the saying? .."Never say NEVER?"