Gerard Butler GALS

5/30 POTO Sequel Aiming for 11/09 Bow in London

:wuv:

Oh well, Swansong..no probs ..I'm just pleasantly surprised how another one of his scores can so move me, never thought it could so when he's in the zone he is the best...bring it on ALW and I got to see POTO in London two weeks ago...I was expecting it to be so different to the movie, it isn't, so very close really and of course Gerry is phantom to me, always will be but I cried at the end, how can you not?

Oh and the chap playing phanty was Ramin Karimloo...his picture is used as Christine's papa in the chapel....just a link...he was very good, it was all very good.....if you get the chance go see it you won't regret it..or fall out of love with Gerry...that's impossible to do.. :wuv:

Just an FYI, the song Robyn posted was indeed written for the Phantom sequel over 10 years ago, when Andrew was working on it back then. When the sequel did not happen, Andrew then used that same melody for his other show, Beautiful Game.

I actually prefer Elaine Page's version better:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an FYI, the song Robyn posted was indeed written for the Phantom sequel over 10 years ago, when Andrew was working on it back then. When the sequel did not happen, Andrew then used that same melody for his other show, Beautiful Game.

I actually prefer Elaine Page's version better:

I think I like this version better too. I believe Ms. Page was singing "Memory" when I saw Cats several years ago. I could understand the lyrics better and it's probably too bad if this song was already used in another production. They won't use it again in "Phantom" will they Swannie? I just love it though.

D

I doubt he would use the same theme again, but what a heartbreaking, beautiful song. Can't you just see the Phantom singing this? In the first Phantom, I always wanted him to have an aria of his own, where he is singing by himself, with Christine not there.

I love the melody of this piece, and it's very poignant how he is speaking to himself in the libretto.

I cannot wait to hear the songs ALW has composed for this new show.

I just had a thought about the casting of the sequel. The actor chosen to play the Phantom is quite young. I believe he is in his early 30's. People are wondering why Andrew would cast such a young man as the Phantom, when in the sequel he is supposed to about 10 years older than when Christine left him in the lair. The Christine they have chosen is also quite young.

My thought is, what if the sequel begins shortly after she leaves him, while they are both the ages they were supposed to be in the first POTO. And what if the plot somehow brings her back to him, similar to how she comes back at the end of the movie... only in the sequel, she stays with him just long enough for them to make love?

This could explain how she ends up having a child who may or may not be his? Then the plot takes them ahead in time and follows the story as outlined in some of the press coming out about the sequel.

Just a thought,

Swannie

I had always imagined that the Phantom had sneaked away, off to live in the US where he becomes quite a prominent figure there, even to the point his wealth affords him some reconstructive surgery on his face. The only thing left was that he looses his sight in his right eye and has to wear a patch, rather than an entire mask as before.

He lures Christine over to perform by writing a score for her child prodigy violenist son, Gustave. She has no idea who he really is. She is unhappily married to Raoul at this point and she decides to come alone just her and her son who is ten. Raoul suffered a serious fall from a horse and it rendered him impotent and partially crippled many years before.

Christine and Gustave travel to the US and the Phantom begins to mentor him, as he had done Christine, all of course, in his efforts to get close to her. But this time, she starts to fall in love with him not knowing who he really is but for the fact that he reminds her of the Phantom.

In the meantime, Raoul is sensing that something is not right through some disturbing letters he receives from Christine. In fact, she is just one letter away from asking Raoul for a divorce, even though she is still unsure of her feelings for this man whom seems very familiar.

Raoul travels to the US to bring his wife and son back home and confronts the Phantom again. Unfortunately, because he has arrived, the Phantoms old insecurities resurface and he begins his maniacal attempts to hold on to Christine. She now knows who he is and becomes frightened of him, but still admits she always loved him and knew it, even after she married Raoul.

In the mayheim that ensues, Raoul is able to pull Christine away again, along with their son, and take her back to France. A distraught and again defeated Phantom burns down his new grand theatre, supposedly with himself in it.

At the end the new story, the graveyard scene could be important as after an elderly Raoul leaves the music box, a young woman arrives in a cape. She stands at the site of the grave of Christine and whispers how she misses her mother. She notices the rose and ring now and picks it up. A quiet and hiding Madame Giry emerges and tells the woman about the love affair between her mother and the man who had the rose and ring placed there. He had given her instructions, as his final wish, that when he died, to place them on Christine's grave along with the music box. She had felt sorry for Raoul and felt compelled to allow him to have the music box. She then tells the woman of the love affair between her mother and her real father, The Phantom of The Opera.

D

Edited by GBPhanatic

Brava Delene! I really like your spin on the story! I still would like to know though why they are keeping Meg involved in the sequel! Hey Tracy and Peggy........You never know! :kisswink:

:wave: Frannie

Brava Delene! I really like your spin on the story! I still would like to know though why they are keeping Meg involved in the sequel! Hey Tracy and Peggy........You never know! :kisswink:

:wave: Frannie

There's probably a chance that Madame Giry has something to do with his "getaway" to the states. Then, when he forms his new opera house, she works for him and Meg is tutored by him. There might be the opportunity for a different love triangle with Meg, the Phantom and Christine. I could see where Meg could fall in love with him as he is teaching her. She was instrumental in being Christine's best childhood friend, so I could see her in the sequel.

I sometime thought that maybe Meg was the love child of Madame Giry and the Phantom as they were not that far apart in age and I believe that Madame Giry always harbored a love for him as well. They always had that connection and she was always loyal to him. Just a thought.

D

• 1 month later...

Hooray! Fresh news!

I got a bunch of alerts this morning for the latest on 'Love Never Dies'. Most just cut from these three;

Variety ; Toronto Star ; Playbill

What a great way to start my day! Enjoy!

Hooray! Fresh news!

I got a bunch of alerts this morning for the latest on 'Love Never Dies'. Most just cut from these three;

Variety ; Toronto Star ; Playbill

What a great way to start my day! Enjoy!

This is great, but I'm confused. Didn't Christine's encounter with the Phantom take place around 1875? Now, they say "ten years later" in 1907? Her headstone in the cemetary says 1854 to 1917 which would have made her 63 when she died and 1907 is only ten years previous, making her 53? Is my math screwed up or is ALW's? :confused:

D

Delene, the sequel is based on the stage play and not the film. In the stage play, Christine leaves the Phantom in the final lair scene and then he disappears. That is the end of the show...there is no cemetery scene with Christine's grave marker or the ring or the rose. We do know, based on the beginning of the stage show where the elderly Raoul bids on the monkey music box, that Christine has passed away some time in the interim years... but we have no idea what her life was like, or even if she ever saw the Phantom again.

The Love Never Dies sequel takes place 10 years after Christine leaves Erik's lair with Raoul, so based on the play, that would make Christine about 29 years old and the Phantom in his 50's. (in the original stage play she is supposed to be around 19 years old)

Swannie

Delene, the sequel is based on the stage play and not the film. In the stage play, Christine leaves the Phantom in the final lair scene and then he disappears. That is the end of the show...there is no cemetery scene with Christine's grave marker or the ring or the rose. We do know, based on the beginning of the stage show where the elderly Raoul bids on the monkey music box, that Christine has passed away some time in the interim years... but we have no idea what her life was like, or even if she ever saw the Phantom again.

The Love Never Dies sequel takes place 10 years after Christine leaves Erik's lair with Raoul, so based on the play, that would make Christine about 29 years old and the Phantom in his 50's. (in the original stage play she is supposed to be around 19 years old)

Swannie

I was fortunate enough to see the stage version last year at the Majestic in NYC and I'm seeing it on the stage in two weeks here at the Music Hall. My understanding is the stage version was set around 1881. That's still too far away from 1907 to be just ten years in to the future. Either ALW is changing his timelines drastically from each one if the new sequel begins in 1907 or, maybe that's not the right info.

If he does a movie of the sequel, his timeline would have to begin even further back to maintain continuity with the first one and begin around 1880. Of course, he's ALW, and he can do that if he so chooses I guess!

Delene

Ack! Deb, you know I will be dying to see this... but unless I can get my health back, I won't be doing any traveling for a while. Geez, at this point, I can barely leave the house.

Anyhow, IF I had the $$$ and IF I were well...I would go in a NY minute, you betcha!

Swannie

WE HAVE A WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!! :dancer:http://www.loveneverdies.com/ There isn't much there yet, but I'm sure in the coming months there will be lots of news.

Also this from Broadway World http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RIALT...vealed_20010101

This is all so exciting! It seems like we have been waiting for this forever!

Please excuse me if this song is already mentioned. I found this

I could see this one in the new musical also. Can you imagine Gerry singing this? Maybe Erik sings this song after he realizes and falls in love with his child I don't know what I'm talking about. I am just fantasizing. There is a proud sound in the man's voice. A child can erase anger. What do you think?

Sally

PS Delene, sounds like a plan. Swannie, I'm not counting you out yet.

Edited by cybrsal

Please excuse me if this song is already mentioned. I found this

I could see this one in the new musical also. Can you imagine Gerry singing this? Maybe Erik sings this song after he realizes and falls in love with his child I don't know what I'm talking about. I am just fantasizing. There is a proud sound in the man's voice. A child can erase anger. What do you think?

Sally

PS Delene, sounds like a plan. Swannie, I'm not counting you out yet.

Sally, I'd never heard of this musical, Aspects of Love! That song is wonderful! Great find!

Delene

Found these wee blurbs today. :erik: is pretty popular today! :wuv:

http://www.theatermania.com/london/news/03...vise_16786.html

http://www.thestar.com/Entertainment/article/609345

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=2...=E8831238170593

also check out this article found by Swannie. I copied it from her post in the Lair.

I'm re-posting this from the old thread because I think it's AWESOME!!!!!!

----------------------------

DAILY MAIL-BAZ BAMIGBOYE

BAZ BAMIGBOYE on how the new Phantom Of The Opera still has the old magic

By Baz Bamigboye

Last updated at 9:09 PM on 26th March 2009

The Phantom Of The Opera sequel, Love Never Dies, will open in the West End first, rather than on Broadway, the show's composer Andrew Lloyd Webber has decided.

He revealed to this column that London 'will have the edge over everybody', with the show opening at the Adelphi Theatre in late October or early November. (The original Phantom is still running, at Her Majesty's, London, 23 years after opening.)

The composer also told me - as I listened to a full orchestra playing his new score - that he wants Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess, who have developed the roles of the Phantom and his protegee, to originate the roles in London.

Ramin is the current Phantom in London, and Sierra was in a Phantom production in Las Vegas.

The idea is to open Love Never Dies in London, Toronto, New York and Shangai in quick succession. It's a mammoth undertaking that, combined, will cost many millions. Tickets for the Adelphi show are expected to go on sale in late May or early June.

'The Phantom has been so extraordinary in my life - the biggest musical I've been involved with so far. Somehow, after nearly 25 years, to come back to it again, it releases a lot,' Andrew old me, his voice trailing away wistfully.

Rehearsals with three full casts will take place in South-East London from August 17 for three months. Soon after its Adelphi inaugural, it will open at Toronto's Royal Alexandra Theatre and then, around next April, the cast from Toronto will drop down to Broadway - winding up in all likelihood at the Neil Simon Theatre.

Sometime, in the middle of all this, a production of Love Never Dies will open in Shanghai. It's a highly ambitious schedule, such a roll-out around the globe would normally take two years or more.

'Are you nuts?' I asked director Jack O'Brien, who has been working with Andrew, lyricist Glenn Slater and designer Bob Crowley. He laughed wryly: 'Some would think so. I prefer to think of myself as enthusiastic.

'It makes sense, though, rather than spend time doing this over a course of two or three years.'

He added that by rehearsing it all together, all the main casts will have a sense of 'ownership' of the project. However, it's Ramin and Sierra who have been laying down the blueprint.

For much of this week they were to be found at Abbey Road studios with Andrew, his regular recording team, Jack, Glenn, plus a 90-piece orchestra, laying down tracks from Love Never Dies for a concept album that may be released before or after the show opens.

'We don't believe in the recession in here,' the composer joked, as I watched conductor Simon Lee put the orchestra through its paces.

The lavish score will have to be re-adjusted for the stage production, which will feature a much smaller orchestra (probably about 26 musicians).

From what I've heard, it sounds like the best work Andrew has produced in decades. I confess, I didn't know he still had it in him - it's a score of high passion, full of longing and regret.

Director O'Brien noted that the music - and the show's story - are about maturity. 'Not only that, but a vast repository of his [Lloyd Webber's] own life and themes are coming back and being newly re-explored.'

He added pointedly: 'He's not phoning this in - it's all new stuff.'

Indeed, it is a completely different sound to the main melodies in the original Phantom show - however, the composer noted that there are a couple of tiny motifs that will be familiar to the many millions who have seen Phantom on stage or screen.

Love Never Dies finds the Phantom living in a fairground on Coney Island. He is somehow reunited with Christine, now married to Raoul and with a son.

Slater observed that the first Phantom was driven, emotionally, by youthful insecurities. This older Phantom is driven by adult regrets. 'It's about choices and consequences,' O'Brien added. 'This is about the road not taken.'

The director paid tribute to Lloyd Webber's 'passion'.

'It is like the last flowering of a great era of lyric romanticism - the theatre doesn't seem to have that any more.

'No one coming up feels this way, with that passion. And here's a story that no one knows better than he knows. Not only has he produced it, but he's outdone himself.'

Edited by Knight Phantom

More news from playbill.com

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/127808.html

It seems like they are also rehashing earlier news, but I for one, don't care! The more this is talked about in the trades; the more anticipation for the opening!

Oh! I am soooooooo excited! :wuv:

ahh.. this is confusing! as much as i love poto and gerry i think this would be horible.

i haven't read phantom in manhattan (actually i'm reading poto now) but eh..

i think the original ending is the only way i can see it.

either phantom dissapears (like in the movie and play) or he dies 'of a broken heart'

i can't see him traveling to cooney island to work in a circus.

• 1 month later...

This is the latest from Playbill.com It looks like there will a delay in the West End opening.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/129024.html

Love Never Dies, Sequel to Lloyd Webber's Phantom, Is Delayed

By Mark Shenton

May 8, 2009

The opening of Love Never Dies, the long-gestating sequel to Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera that was previously scheduled to premiere at the West End's Adelphi Theatre in late October or early November, has been pushed back, according to a report in the Daily Mail.

"The plan now is for it to open in the spring of next year, which means tickets won't go on sale for a while," according to the London paper.

The originally announced plan, which the composer revealed to The Times of London in December, was to simultaneously rehearse three companies with a view to opening productions in Toronto (ahead of a New York transfer) and Shanghai in quick succession.

According to a previous report in the Daily Mail, now superseded by this new information, rehearsals with three full casts were due to take place in South East London beginning in August for three months. Soon after its Adelphi inaugural, it was planned to open a production at Toronto's Royal Alexandra Theatre and then, around next April, the cast from Toronto would move to Broadway – winding up in all likelihood at the Neil Simon Theatre. Sometime, in the middle of all this, a production of Love Never Dies would also open in Shanghai. Jack O'Brien, who will be assuming directorial duties on all three stagings, was reported saying, "It makes sense, rather than spend time doing this over a course of two or three years." And, by rehearsing all three companies simultaneously, it intended to give them all a sense of "ownership" of the project.

The original London cast will likely be led by Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess, who have previously respectively played the title role and Christine in the London and Las Vegas incarnations of The Phantom of the Opera, according to the report.

The creative team also includes lyricist Glenn Slater, choreographer Jerry Mitchell and music supervisor Gareth Valentine.

A recent casting notice offered this brief description of Love Never Dies: "In 1907 New York, the mysterious 'Maestro' who runs the theatre at Coney Island announces a one-off concert by legendary Parisian soprano Christine Daaé. Her arrival in New York with husband Raoul, Victome de Chagny and son Gustave, and their subsequent meeting with the 'Maestro,' bring the cataclysmic events of 10 years earlier at the Paris Opera crashing back into all their lives."

Copyright © 2008 Playbill, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Here is the latest from Broadway World. The article is worth reading but has too many links etc for me to copy it. See it here http://baltimore.broadwayworld.com/article...ted_CD_20090508

I am trying to be patient. But April seems so far away.....

Thank you, Knight Phantom. There are several links, but it' worth reading all of it. I am sure the new person playing the role of the Phantom, "Erik" will do a terrific job. But still.....

I WANT GERRY TO PLAY THE ROLE OF THE PHANTOM! :tantrum: