Gerard Butler GALS

Have many of you seen the 1943 version of POTO? I saw it in the early 50's and it stuck with me, which is why I feel the 2004 version go to me so much. I decided to rent the 1943 version the other day. A lot of my memories of it were good, and some were not. Raoul in that one was really a doofus as was the man played by Nelson Eddy, who had a gorgeous baritone voice. And I like the 2004 Christine better too. But all singers were operatic. One thing in it that really surprised me was that the quality of the CD was great after all those years. And the music is absolutely beautiful. Most of it is operatic drawn from Chopin and Tschaikovsky. The songs are well worth having. Wish they has made a recording of them. Also the stairway in one of the Operas was almost exactly like the one in Masquerade.

Spartandax

I saw this one about twenty years ago when I first got interested in POTO through the Broadway musical.

Now, I'm a huge fan of old movies in general and I've always liked Claude Rains. But I didn't care for this adaptation back then and I liked it less when I revisited it more recently. For me, it just strays a little too far from the core story of Phantom.

I do like some of the costumes and the music, though.

I haven't seen this one in many years, but I recall loving it when I saw it as kid. My favorite part about this version is that the Phantom is actually a violinist, and I really love Claude Rains.

The only think that disappoints me about ALW's POTO (both stage show and film), is that we never see the Phantom play the violin.

The violin is my favorite instrument.... and a man who plays the violin....

Posted Image

When I saw Claude Rains version as a little girl, I cried my eyes out at the end.

Swannie

The only think that disappoints me about ALW's POTO (both stage show and film), is that we never see the Phantom play the violin.

The violin is my favorite instrument.... and a man who plays the violin....

Swannie

I saw this as a kid and loved it, too. I always enjoyed Claude Rains and his character was so sympathetic. It is very different from the original but I like the story on its own terms. When he must audition for his place in the orchestra? Broke my heart. The romantic trio are a little silly at times but at least Christine is portrayed as an independent woman.

Swannie, did you ever see the musical 1776? There is a song in it, "He Plays the Violin" - where Martha Jefferson explains how the tongue-tied young Tom won her heart. It is delightful!

Jane

Edited by Jeb

I saw the Claude Rains version when I first got into POTO years ago. I thought it was really good. I also liked how they had him playing the violin in it as well, the violin is a beautiful instrument. I always wanted to learn how to play it. So I bought myself one and am planning on it soon.

I just the other week bought the 2 disc DVD of this version and it has an interesting documentary on the second one.