Gerard Butler GALS

Gerard in the Bodyguard

I just found this article and thought it was interesting. Gerard was an extra in The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston

Darn! I dont have that dvd I didnt even like the movie that much but I was a huge fan of Whitney then and wanted to see it

Now Im curious to what part he played...anyone know?

I wonder why IMDB didnt give him credit for it I thought they list credits even for extra roles

http://allstars-online.net/Butlerbio.html

you veteran fans probably know this info about him already so sorry for the post but I was curious to what role he played :)

From what I've been told, he is an extra in the scene where she is getting out of the limo into the big crowd. It's been too long since I've seen the movie to give more details than that but I'm sure others can probably pinpoint the moment.

Yes, I've rented the movie just to search for the scene. :doh: I scanned the scene many times but honestly couldn't tell you for sure that he was in it. At some point, someone had some screencaps of the scene. Even looking at it like that, I could never pick him out. I remember some folks saying for sure it was such and such a person standing here. And then in the next post, someone else with just as much certainty said it was another person. I'm left a bit :confused: since I could never tell for sure.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Not worth renting the movie anyway just to see a glimpse of someone who might be Gerry in the crowd. I think he took this extra job just so he could get his SAG card.

:wuv:

I think I can say with a degree of certainty that no one has ever been able to pinpoint Gerry in the film. Many have tried, but to no avail.

Suzie

I'm not even going to try on that one. Besides that bio thing didn't seem well written; almost like extra stuff added or things taken out or changed.

I couldn't stand that movie anyways.

As far as imdb not catching everything, it happens with lots of movies. I remember a non-Gerry movie called Fairy Tale: A True Story and I swore Mel Gibson was at the end. I could never catch it in the credits.

Also Brendan Frasier was in Now & Then which no one could figure out either.

Imdb can be done by average people just like wikipedia.

thanks for all your info on this it does help :)

maybe I'll catch it on cable sometime or come across the dvd in someones collection and have fun seeing if I

could spot him in a scene

thanks again xoxo

Gerry was an extra in The Bodyguard. I am fairly certain that Ive been able to point him out...I think lol. I know for sure what scene he is in. Its all about looking very closely for him....but remember he was only an extra. He was on screen for one-one hundreth of a second.

As for them not cateloging his name in the credits...it is a incredibley common thing for most extras not to be given credit individually....because in truth most extras are 'uncredited'. I know of Brandon Fraser in Now and Then. It was waaay before Brandon was the huge international movie star he is today. Even the most famous dont always get credit for 'cameos'. I'm sure Gerry doesnt look back on his being an extra and be bitter about not being given credit. From what I understand when he was in the movie it was that summer period he spent in California before going to law school back in Scotland.

The scene you need to watch for is where Whitney Houston's limo is driving towards the Oscar ceremony. We see the crowd from her point of view. The limo is travelling fairly slowly and there is a mass of people on the sidewalk looking at her .. no one really facially recognizable. However, one man stands head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd. The limo is past him in moments so it's a case of frame by frame viewing, but look for the tallest person in the crowd who is standing near to the front. That person is generally reckoned to be Gerard, who appeared as an uncredited extra in this movie in 1992.

to my knowledge, that is the exact scene Gerry is in in the Bodyguard. Even though facially its very blurry and his time on screen is so brief, I still feel that its him. He really is a head above everyone in the crowd, towards the end of the sidewalk, has a mop of dark, curly hair....it really has to be him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just found this article and thought it was interesting. Gerard was an extra in The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston

Darn! I dont have that dvd I didnt even like the movie that much but I was a huge fan of Whitney then and wanted to see it

Now Im curious to what part he played...anyone know?

I wonder why IMDB didnt give him credit for it I thought they list credits even for extra roles

http://allstars-online.net/Butlerbio.html

you veteran fans probably know this info about him already so sorry for the post but I was curious to what role he played :)

As far as I know he was only an extra in a crowd scene where Whitney was arriving in a limo for a concert. I think he is the tall dark guy wearing a scarf at the edge of the pavement as he looks like Gerry's thick dark hair!

I think this was the period in Gerry's life when he took a break after University and worked his way around California in various jobs - I have heard him on talk shows saying he worked in carnivals and at sea world! He didnt take up acting seriously until several years later after gaining his law degree and working for a couple of years with an Edinburgh law firm. it wasnt for him and the company agreed so he left and went down to London - and as they say, the rest is history!

Mirin

has anyone seen a pic of it?

god he was so young back then.

found some pics here:

http://weiner1proboardscom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=photos&action=display&thread=1957

OMG, Jon, great find! It looks like Gerry but his nose looks "fake" for some reason! Just the angle of the photo I guess. He doesn't look to enthusiastic, however, about his fandom! Perhaps he chose to do the stalker look instead of happy fan!

Guess he had to start somewhere but it could have been worse. One of Kevin's Costner's first appearances in a big film was just his wrist while an undertaker adjusted his shirt cuff in "The Big Chill"! He had actually gotten to do several scenes as flash backs but they were cut. The road to stardom is always first paved with rocks!

Delene

Posted Image

In this picture, he's behind the guy standing to the left of the man with the beret.

Posted Image

Now he's standing to the left of the blonde with the goofy grin. Tall, dark and extremely handsome, that's our Gerry in a nut shell.

Above is the information from WOGBF. Can anyone confirm this is definately Gerry?

Call me crazy but I don't that's him and I'm not even sure that's the scene. There is a big crowd scene when she's going to the Oscars. That doesn't look like what's happening in these pics. And the guy you're picking out is far too prominent in the pics (and he looks too old). Gerry was a 21 year old college student with no acting experience. He was the cinematic equivalent of a seat-filler. (And he wouldn't have gotten a SAG card for it either. You generally have to speak on camera. Background actors can get them but there are a lot of rules and regulations, including a minimum number of working days. And since he's not a citizen it would have been even more difficult for him at that time.) Besides, if it were that easy even Gerry could pick himself out.

Call me crazy but I don't that's him and I'm not even sure that's the scene. There is a big crowd scene when she's going to the Oscars. That doesn't look like what's happening in these pics. And the guy you're picking out is far too prominent in the pics (and he looks too old). Gerry was a 21 year old college student with no acting experience. He was the cinematic equivalent of a seat-filler. (And he wouldn't have gotten a SAG card for it either. You generally have to speak on camera. Background actors can get them but there are a lot of rules and regulations, including a minimum number of working days. And since he's not a citizen it would have been even more difficult for him at that time.) Besides, if it were that easy even Gerry could pick himself out.

I agree.

In fact, it seems like he said he wasn't even sure if he had made it into the movie or not.

If he was standing by cardboard cutouts, assuming he was serious, there's no way he would be right in the front. I believe these photos are from the scene outside The Mayan, which was a club. My recollection is that the scene outside the Oscars was much more crowded.

Ren