Gerard Butler GALS

POTO Costumes Up For Auction

I received the following PM from metrospace (Susan) and she asked that I post the announcement on GALS.

AUCTION ANNOUNCEMENT

We wanted to let everyone know that our collection of costumes from the "Phantom of the Opera' film will be auctioned off. Part of the collection is in Heritage Auction Galleries (www.ha.com) July 17, 2010 sale, and the remaining items will be in the October auction of this year.

Thanks to everyone for their support - we really wanted to try to get these things on tour, but because of their somewhat delicate nature, we were unable to find a museum partner. Sadly, times being what they are, we are unable to mount a traveling exhibit ourselves.

We hope that some of the fans will be able to bid on these items, as we are sure then they would end up in loving homes!!

Thank you!
Susan

For those who have been fortunate enough to see metrospace's (Susan) STUNNING POTO Costume collection up close and personal, you may be able to appreciate the heartbreak Susan must be feeling to have to sell these wonderful costumes. Let's help get the word out about the auction. Susan has always been so very gracious in sharing her collection with us.

Thanks to Kittypro for allowing us to post the amazing videos she took of the costumes.

:hugs:
Dayna

Well I know it would be way beyond my empty bank accnt. It is sad that Susan has to sell though. In this deplorable economy it's understandable. I tried to find picrures of the costumes but with no luck... I like to look and wish! :unsure:

:wave: Frannie

Well I know it would be way beyond my empty bank accnt. It is sad that Susan has to sell though. In this deplorable economy it's understandable. I tried to find picrures of the costumes but with no luck... I like to look and wish! :unsure:

:wave: Frannie

I agree, Frannie; it is unfortunate that Susan has to sell them.

Good Lord, I wish I could afford just one! *big laugh*

Frannie, I posted Phantom of the Opera in their search box and the listed items came up.

beachie

I was fortunate enough to be in Las Vegas two years ago for the con and see the collection. It's amazing. I hope they find a good home with someone who can truly appreciate the costumes, take care of them and display them for everyone who loves Phantom.

I too was lucky enough to get to see the collection in 08. It is heartbreaking that she has to sell them.....and I so wish that I could afford one of the gorgeous pieces, but it's just not possible....I pray they are bought by a respectful person who will cherish them as they have been.

This just makes me sick...poor Susan...

If wishes were dollars I'd take them all. The thought that these might end up in the wrong hands, well, let's just say I can't go there.

Now if you will excuse me, I need a moment. :tissues:

:detect:Does anyone have a photo of these items? I would also love to "ogle and wish"...How many pieces do you have Susan and how did you manage to acquire them? :bonk: Oh the thoughts of owning just ONE of them! :doh:

It's shame that Susan has to sell the gorgeous costumes. I'm so thankful to her and her family for graciously opening their home to us two years ago. The costumes are absolutely beautiful! One of my prized possessions is the picture of myself wearing Erik's cape :thud:

NOOOOOOO, i am going to miss those costumes!!! I so wish i could buy one of christines and erik costumes... This bites!!! :tissues:

I am going to miss.. DON JUAN,Red Death, oh heck with it, all of them! :tissues:

I saw Susan's collection in 2008 as well. I feel so fortunate!

Dr. Em contacted me earlier today, asking about some videos of the costumes that I shot of the collection when I was at the GALS 2008 convention. I sent her the links, but thought I'd save her the trouble and post them myself. The lighting in Susan's house was very subdued, and I did not have a light attachment for my camera, so the quality is not that great. However, you can see the costumes and the lovely display that Susan had them arranged in. I tried to focus on some of the details in the fabrics and trims. The whole collection is incredible! I mixed my home video with scenes and music from the film, to showcase where the various articles are used. I had posted these videos a long time ago, and they're still out on YouTube if you'd like to take a look. Oh, and you'll see Texas Gramma, Lady Elissa, and Elissa's daughter, Erin, too!

Enjoy!

:thankyou: so much Pat for re-posting these beautiful videos! I had so much fun going through the exhibit with you! I love the way you blended the scenes from the movie in with your footage from the tour. :goodjob:

Thanks, kittypro for reposting this visual treat again. You did a great job videoing all the costumes and then combining the footage with the POTO movie. I so loved seeing this the first time it was shared and now again it's still so special. You GALS who got to experience that are so fortunate to have that memory even when sadly the costumes will be sold. It would be so wonderful if the lovely costumes could be kept as a collection somewhere people could still enjoy.

I did enjoy very much!

Diane

Are these items going to be auctioned off individually or as a group? I was curious to where the bidding might start on any of these. I'd love to have the cape or the costume of the Phantom from "Point of No Return" a sword a mask, anything! Don't know if my bank account could handle it either. Gerry should at least acquire the cape. I hear the chicks dig a cape clad lad! :leo2::phantom2::rotflmao::chnuzzle:

Thanks for the info and to Kittypro for the lovely vids!

Delene

this is too bad, it would have been awesome to have them all displayed somewhere permanant. I also saw them on my 1st con trip and wore the cape and saw all those beautiful costumes.

I've been watching the auction since it was announced on a POTO Forum.

These costumes should be in a museum, or owned by someone who can put them on display, or by someone connected with POTO.

It will be a travesty if they are sold to separate bidders. Posted Image

Edited by SamanthasPhantom

I've been watching the auction since it was announced on a POTO Forum.

These costumes should be in a museum, or owned by someone who can put them on display, or by someone connected with POTO.

It will be a travesty if they are sold to separate bidders. Posted Image

I wish Gerard Butler would buy the whole lot!

I agree! I was thinking the same thing. I really believe that POTO holds a special place in Gerry's heart of all the movies he's made and it would be such a nice thing if he could acquire them if someone couldn't at least buy them and put them on display. It would be nice if Gerry could buy them, sign them, then donate them back to the fansites and then they can be auctioned off for the charities! Then even if they are going to individual places it is all for a worthy cause. Unless Mr. Butler is willing to donate himself back up for another "date", this might be the next best thing and the least he could do! Does anyone have Gerry's number and can give him a jingle?

Problem is most of POTO die hard fans, like me, are reeling from the recession and items like these are going to be at a premium most likely individually. As a package the price might be more negotiable. Too, some may be more willing to part with any discretionary income for a worthy cause plus having a wonderful piece of movie memoriabilia to enjoy, show off to friends and irritate family members.

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Of all the characters Gerry has played, Phantom is closest to his heart...that's the character he relates to the most. He has said so many times.

Just look at the design and decor of his Manhattan Loft. It reflects everything Phantom. I believe that's his lair.

I wish Gerry would buy the lot of costumes to preserve them.

For decades my family dealt in antiques, collectibles, and war relics/memorabilia as a hobby.

My parents were very eccentric. My mother loved antiques, and my father loved war relics.

So we collected both when it was an untapped market.

My father became very famous in his own right, the most leading authority on war memorabilia, and an historian.

At one time during the '60's, he had the largest military collection in the country and was featured in magazines.

Over the decades, we knew many actors, producers, and others in the Entertainment Business who also collected.

We knew hundreds of people who collected, bought, and sold valuable items.

Many items were costumes, uniforms, and props of every kind from famous movies, just like these costumes on auction.

I'm very familiar with what happens to items like this.

That's why I wish someone who will preserve and perhaps display the costumes will would buy the lot.

Remember the famous movie "The Time Machine" starring Rod Taylor?

Believe it or not, the Time Machine itself got auctioned off, and years later ended up THRASHED in a Thrift Store in Orange County.

Someone affiliated with the movie rescued it and a team came together to restore it, but that was a major job.

The Special Features on the DVD has Rod Taylor telling the story about what happened to the Time Machine and how it was recovered and restored.

This is why I hope that someone rescues the entire lot of these costumes.

Once lost, they are lost forever. Posted Image

P.S. God, I hope the costumes are never signed/autographed...That would seriously ruin the value!

But the costumes could be accompanied by a an autographed photo of the actor wearing the costume.

That would be a great way to add value and authenticity.

It really is a shame that the collection is being sold off. But please remember that Susan Heath's original intent to buy such a large number of costumes from POTO was an attempt to keep them together and to try and mount a traveling display, or to find a museum partner to house them in some sort of permanent display. She went to considerable expense to not only make the original purchase, but also to store and maintain the collection in museum quality condition. I'm sure there are economic reasons that are forcing her to sell her collection, and I would bet it breaks her heart to have to do so.

I do think there are enough dedicated fans and memorabilia collectors out there who will rescue these treasured items and will give them good homes. I, too, wish they would end up intact as a set and be available for the public to share. But sadly, as Susan found, this is an expensive dream. It is truly unfortunate, but try not to be so hard on her.

Just my two cents...

Although I don't know her, I'm sure Susan's intentions when she purchased these items was to share them with the public to enjoy. I don't think anyone here is blaming her in the least for having to part with them. I'm sure it is heartbreaking. We totally understand her situation as many of us are having to cut back. But in reality, a recession causes a "buyers" market and she may have to consider that these items may not be in the kind of demand nor fetch the price she paid, that other movie memoriabilia would. Although POTO will always be special to me, because it led me to Gerry, it's not an iconic movie like Gone With The Wind or Star Wars.

I hope she fairs well however she goes about it.

Delene

It really is a shame that the collection is being sold off. But please remember that Susan Heath's original intent to buy such a large number of costumes from POTO was an attempt to keep them together and to try and mount a traveling display, or to find a museum partner to house them in some sort of permanent display. She went to considerable expense to not only make the original purchase, but also to store and maintain the collection in museum quality condition. I'm sure there are economic reasons that are forcing her to sell her collection, and I would bet it breaks her heart to have to do so.

I do think there are enough dedicated fans and memorabilia collectors out there who will rescue these treasured items and will give them good homes. I, too, wish they would end up intact as a set and be available for the public to share. But sadly, as Susan found, this is an expensive dream. It is truly unfortunate, but try not to be so hard on her.

Just my two cents...

My comment isn't directed at the owner of the costumes. She did good, keeping the costumes together all this time.

Although if it were me, I would have found an exclusive buyer instead of putting them up for auction.

But I'm not judging her. Everyone does what they must.

I'm just saying, I hope someone comes in and rescues the whole lot, like she did.

Maybe this is a pie-in-the-sky idea, but perhaps Susan could contact The London Film Museum?

Just a thought. :) I would hate to see them separated and/or destroyed. That would be a travesty.

Lisa

Maybe this is a pie-in-the-sky idea, but perhaps Susan could contact The London Film Museum?

Just a thought. Posted Image I would hate to see them separated and/or destroyed. That would be a travesty.

Lisa

Now that's a great idea! Actually, since the costumes are in the states, maybe there's a museum here that would buy them.

I'll see what I can find out on the Net.

Just a thought. Posted Image I would hate to see them separated and/or destroyed. That would be a travesty.

Lisa

Now that's a great idea! Actually, since the costumes are in the states, maybe there's a museum here that would buy them.

I'll see what I can find out on the Net.

I originally thought about the Smithsonian, but I couldn't find which museum they would fit with. I know they have Fonzie's leather jacket and Archie Bunker's chair, but I don't think they do movies.

I thought the London museum would be the best since the play originated in London.

How do we get in touch with Susan to maybe give her some ideas?

Lisa