Gerard Butler GALS

9/29 - Gerard Butler to produce 'The Septembers of Shiraz'

I knew that eventually we would see Gerry producing and

not staring in some things, but I hate it. I want him on

the acting side of the camera, even when he is producing.

I don't want to see him fade into oblivion on the other,

wrong side of the camera.

I want him to be happy and I know he enjoys producing,

and I know that handling both jobs at once must be

a lot harder than just acting, but I am so proud of him

in his acting, and I want to see him in every possible

production. I'm not getting any younger and I don't

want to give him up to producing just yet.

I know he is brilliant and knows how to handle his own

career, and his life, I'm just depressed that he will

be out of sight behind the camera to produce films.

I want him winning Oscars and entertaining for as

long as I am here to see him.

I know I am being very selfish, but I want him

ON the silver screen, not behind it.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I see this as a very POSITIVE move on Gerry's part...he's expanding those wonderfully talented wings in the right direction, and I don't think that he will ever give up acting, just maybe not as much as he has in the past...Alan made the comment during LAC that Gerry/ET would be getting into more producing and Gerry not acting as often in the future, so we have been prepared for this to come about. He may do less acting now, but he will still be very much involved in the business, and we will still be there for him, those of us who are real, bonafide fans of his. To not support his production efforts is saying that we don't support his career. This is what he wants to do. And I foresee him getting into directing eventually as well...look at Clint Eastwood, he does all three, very successfully, and Gerry may well be headed in that direction of acting, producing, and directing. I think he would be a crackerjack director, he has that savvy knowledge and talent.

There have been some on other sites to say that they won't see the movies that he only produces...that's craziness...those movies are still a part of Gerry, and should be supported for him just as much as those he stars in. Anything with his name attached to, either as star, producer (or maybe ultimately director - wishing here...) are ALL a part of him and as fans, we should embrace every one of them and give him our full support.

This is just my humble opinion here, and I for one, am happy that he's doing what makes him happy. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. I do not see anything but good coming out of all this, for him, as well as for his fans. We are on an incredible journey with him, and this is just another adventure in GerryWorld that we will follow him through.

Peace to all...

Tense

I agree with the other comments,we want Gerard to be happy and fulfilled,i got a feeling we will be seeing this handsome face even more at some point:I am so excited to hear this great news and yes he will be fantastic as a director also,i am on board 100% with my #1 actor;the best of Gerard and always have FUN.Finally i just wanted to say I just Love GERARD JAMES BUTLER,He touches my Soul,and I smiles every time i see his face and reads all the latest updates about him.

Edited by sweetface

I agree with both sentiments in that ,like Shirsan, there is a real disappointment in knowing Gerry won't be on the big screen in this particular film. There is a real tug and a sense of loss at not having the chance to admire his interpetation and portrayal of the character in this new venture with that unique charisma and skill that Gerry seems to have (of course let's not forget the aesthetically pleasing feast he also provides with his looks!!) but as Tense says we want what's best for Gerry in the short medium and long term and this is a considered decision for his long term future which will secure his success AND sense of achievement and wellbeing for decades to come.

I would DEFINITELY support any venture that Gerry is attached to as my admiration is for him as a person not just as an actor (though obviously I am aware I don't really "know" him just what the media portrays and what I can glean occasionally behind that facade-though what I do know about him I love!!)

I guess I'm travelling the Gerry road holding disappointment in the one hand at not seeing him act so much but in my other hand I hold the joy of knowing he is happy and securing his future with the producing (and yes possibly directing!).

Just my humble opinion

xx

Congratulations to Gerry and Evil Twins. This sounds like a great expansion of his career as a producer. He sure seems to be following in the Clint Eastwood career pattern and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start directing as well. It would be a shame, though, if we fans would be deprived of his screen presence. I am sure he will balance all as well as he has done so far.

:D

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

I fully understand the feelings being expressed. Yes, on my selfish part, I want him to be in EVERY movie. That being said, he's been going full throttle for awhile now and chances are he would burn out if he kept up that pace. He's said in the past that Evil Twins intended to produce movies that he didn't star in, so this is really no surprise. I'm very happy that Gerry & Alan are taking a step in that direction.

At the end of the day, I just want Gerry to be happy with what he's doing & to have a full & fulfilling life. I wish Gerry, Alan & Evil Twins the best of luck in all their ventures.

Ren

The article said Gerry wouldn't be "starring" in the film. That doesn't mean he might not show up in it or have a cameo appearance, GALS, so don't go freakin out just yet!

But in all seriousness, I hope it's a big success for him and Evil Twins. I wish him all the best in whatever he endeavors.

Delene

I think that Gerry branching out into producing/directing is only natural, but I do hope he will take acting roles as well. Gerry has done some amazing work in films so far, but I so want to see him WOW both audiences and critics with an upcoming role. I think it's a smart move on his part to perhaps take on fewer acting jobs. Now that his name is out there and general audiences know who he is, he will hopefully land roles that showcase his gifts more fully!

Swannie

Am I totally wrong, or sometimes financial investments are a form of "producing" and the producers are

not always involved in the actual filming/production of a movie? I can see EVIL TWINS doing that to bring

in more money to make the movies that Gerry will do including SLIDE (or whatever they decide to call it?)

On the otherhand, Gerry may just enjoy this facet of movie making--he did seem to enjoy being at that end of

LAC. Whatever he does, if it pleases him, I am happy.

Judy

This seems like a really great project, but as with most others, there's the selfish side of me that is disappointed that he'll be devoting so much energy to a project that we won't get to see him in in the end. But hey, I'm sure we'll see the movie and be so proud of what Gerry was able to create!

Steph

Judy, I'm by no means an expert, but I believe you're correct. There are different types of producers, with different rolls.

I think the number & functions vary, depending on the size of the film. Some are more hands on, on a day to day basis, throughout the production. Some might be more big picture once the project is up and running. They may have worked more on selecting the project (script development?), fund-raising & selecting the key personnel, like the director or other producers. I believe they also work to secure locations etc.

I'm half-guessing on some of this, but I think it's something like that.

I'm posting my opinion without reading the other posts. LOL

I am SO PROUD of Gerry and very very happy for Evil Twins for branching out! I think this will allow Gerry the opportunity to be seen as a smart business man. He needs to be seen as something other than a "hunk". I think this will give him the opportunity to be able to act in the movies he WANTS to be in.

I honestly think this is a VERY VERY good thing for Gerry's career that will afford him to be able to take his career in the direction he wants. I'm excited for him!

Lisa

Yes it's only natural to be selfish to want him to star in films but quite a few actors produce movies and dont star in them and have a nice balance of both. Kevin Spacey is a producer on The Social Network and as far as im aware is not in the movie at all. Brad Pitt produces alot of movies some being The Departed, Eat Pray Love, Kick arse and The Time Traveller's Wife. I think we have to be realistic to know how fickle Hollywood is and you're only flavour of the month for so long and it is a very wise business move in the long term to get into producing.

Moira

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Moira. I'm glad to see Gerry branching out into other phases of the business. I would hope that we'll continue to see him on the acting side of the camera as well. But it would not be a bad thing if he got to be very picky about the roles he did. This past year must have been exhausting for him. I respect him as an actor, but acting is a profession that demands that the actor grow and change. I think (hope) we'll continue to see him, even if less frequently.

Sadie Montgomery

In the surgical practice I worked for, there was an Iranian surgeon who is actually a nephew of the shah. He had done his residency and was working as a surgeon in the US for the group during that time.

I used to listen to him tell stories about the terrible things that were going on there in Tehran. He would even break down sometimes and hold my hand. He was a really passionate man and felt so fortunate to be living in the US and wanted so much to get his Mother and sister out of Tehran, but when he went back there in the early eighties, he almost didn't make it back.

I had sent with him a pair of my jeans for his sister because American jeans were a big thing over there and he was bringing me back a real Persian rug but he had to leave all the souveniers he got for everyone and flee. He was "smuggled" to Turkey and then flew back to the US that way because if he had tried to go out of Tehran, and they found out he was a heart surgeon, they would have never let him go.

He was planning on going for two weeks and was gone almost two months. Everyone had warned him not to go in the first place, but he hadn't seen his family in years. He thought he would be OK. We weren't sure he was coming back.

All he brought back was a pic of his sister wearing the jeans I gave her, up on the roof of their house, the only place she could wear them.

So I can relate to this story. Sounds like it will be a great project.

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

I see this as a very POSITIVE move on Gerry's part...he's expanding those wonderfully talented wings in the right direction, and I don't think that he will ever give up acting, just maybe not as much as he has in the past...Alan made the comment during LAC that Gerry/ET would be getting into more producing and Gerry not acting as often in the future, so we have been prepared for this to come about. He may do less acting now, but he will still be very much involved in the business, and we will still be there for him, those of us who are real, bonafide fans of his. To not support his production efforts is saying that we don't support his career. This is what he wants to do. And I foresee him getting into directing eventually as well...look at Clint Eastwood, he does all three, very successfully, and Gerry may well be headed in that direction of acting, producing, and directing. I think he would be a crackerjack director, he has that savvy knowledge and talent.

There have been some on other sites to say that they won't see the movies that he only produces...that's craziness...those movies are still a part of Gerry, and should be supported for him just as much as those he stars in. Anything with his name attached to, either as star, producer (or maybe ultimately director - wishing here...) are ALL a part of him and as fans, we should embrace every one of them and give him our full support.

This is just my humble opinion here, and I for one, am happy that he's doing what makes him happy. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. I do not see anything but good coming out of all this, for him, as well as for his fans. We are on an incredible journey with him, and this is just another adventure in GerryWorld that we will follow him through.

Peace to all...

Tense

I think you misunderstood me, Sweetie. I didn't mean that I would not support Gerry in everything he does,

everyone here knows by now that "I love him absolutely" and support all of his efforts, no matter what.

I support his decisions even when others don't because I realize he is as brilliant as he is gorgeous,

and I will always stand by any decision he makes about anything.

I just meant that I want to see him ON the big screen for as long as he wants to act, and I'm sure he

will have a more successful career with every film he makes, because his talent heightens with every

performance.

I think he is the BEST actor we have had and a very, very long time, and I don't want to see him hide

his talent away under a basket, or behind the camera. He is to precious an actor to do that.

His intelligence drives him to do all things, and he will indeed do them very, very well. He has already

proven to be a fantastic producer and his ideas are brilliant behind the camera, producing and directing

will be easy and successful for him, I am positive of that. I just don't want to see him give up what

he obviously loves to do other things just yet. There will plenty of time for those ventures when he

has tired of acting, and has run out of steam a little, which I don't think will be for many years yet.

You have to strike will the iron is hot. If he goes behind the camera for an extended period of time

the projects he can have access to now, and would want access to then, may no longer be within

his reach.

He is young, gorgeous, strong, healthy, and on the A-list, and he should stay there for as long as

he can and wants to be on the A-list, because once he gives it up to go behind the camera his

opportunities will fade. Hollywood is a fickle mistress at best. You are on top one day and on the

bottom of the heap as a hot commodity the next. He can produce and direct until he is 110,

and right now he can act until he is 88 or tired and worn out, whichever comes first. I just don't

want to see him throw his acting career away to go behind the camera yet.

He can let Alan take the production jobs and still have his input, and still stay on the acting side of the

camera as well.

Know this, I would never discourage Gerry from doing anything he wants to do. He has worked to hard

to get where he is, and his life is his life alone, to live as he sees fit and to fulfill as he wants to.

I said I was being selfish, and I am, but not only for myself, but also for Gerry. I want him to get

everything he wants out of life. He more than deserves to have everything he desires, and I would do

everything in my power to see that he gets everything he wants, including to stay on top of the acting

pedestal I have prayed to put him on top of.

After all, I do;

Love him absolutely,

Sandly

Judy, I'm by no means an expert, but I believe you're correct. There are different types of producers, with different rolls.

I think the number & functions vary, depending on the size of the film. Some are more hands on, on a day to day basis, throughout the production. Some might be more big picture once the project is up and running. They may have worked more on selecting the project (script development?), fund-raising & selecting the key personnel, like the director or other producers. I believe they also work to secure locations etc.

I'm half-guessing on some of this, but I think it's something like that.

I believe you are correct. I think all of these things are involved in production of a movie. I know Gerry

said he decided on the cast of LAC and also had a lot of say on the actual making of the movie and had

to leave his producing at the door to act. It seemed to me that he really enjoyed tweeking the script and

having a say in the actual producing of the film once the acting started. I'm sure any actor would love to

be able to have those authorities in any film they are involved in, but I just hope Gerry doesn't stay off

the screen to much. He is to good an actor to go behind the camera and stay. NOT YET, GERRY, PLEASE!!!!!!

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Producing a movie means being involved with all stages. These include the scriptwriting, employment of a director and crew, casting, location scouting, editing ... everything. The producer is also the ultimate authority when it comes to resolving ongoing issues during filming. There is obviously a considerable financial involvement too.

Bearing in mind that producing a movie is time consuming I think we need to be aware that once such production-only ventures start we are likely to see a lot less of Gerry. Extended "absences" will become more likely, possibly stretching into several months.

My own thoughts are that we might start to see fewer acting roles, although as Gerry loves to act I don't think he will abandon that side of the industry for a while.

Edited by patsyb