Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry on Howard Stern this morning 09/14

Rendita

Wow I'm obviously in the minority here but I LOVED this interview! I thought it was one of the best Gerry has ever done. He was so open and handled Howard with class and humor. Hearing more about his father was heartwarming and sad. Delving more into the person that Gerry is made me feel closer to him as a fan. Sure Howard and Robin were their normal stupid selves, but it's Gerry's responses that matter, and he was divine.

I hope people can put their prejudices aside and give it a chance because we get a glimpse of Gerry the man, not just the movie star machine.

Bravo, Gerry!!! I'm glad I downloaded this and will listen again.

Lisa

Lisa...Because I respect your judgement I did go to YouTube and listened to all 6 parts. I feel like I know Gerry now better than I ever did. He gave up a lot of himself in that interview. I was surprised at that because he is usually very private. It was worth listening to even though Howard was doing his thing but not as much as I thought he would. Howard seemed genuinely interested in Gerry's life story and especially in Gerry's father and how his father may have played a role in Gerry's turbulent younger years. I found it quite interesting and at times I felt quite sad for Gerry.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Thank you, Kathy. :hug1:

Yes, Howard and Robin were their normal moronic selves at times, but what matters most is Gerry's handling of and reaction to the stupidity. He didn't answer what he didn't want to, said things he really wanted to say, and like you said we "know him" better than we did before. I think Howard also showed more respect to Gerry than I've ever heard him show in the past, and I attribute that to Gerry more than Howard. Gerry engenders respect, and even though they kibbutzed a lot, I think the interview was meaty and way more intelligent than the stupid crap we hear in press junkets.

Lisa, I so agree with everything you said. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Howard covered Gerry's life and he certainly loved MGP and Gerry's portrayal. I thought Howard showed Gerry so much respect as an actor. I loved that!

~HUGS~ Kathy

I agree with all of the above and with Swannie's post. And, maybe it's just me, but I found Robin's giggling and goofy outbursts much more annoying than anything Howard said, even as crude as he was at times. :lalala:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the entire interview yet but from what I did see it looked like a good interview. Howard knows how to get in to people's heads and Gerry's a tough egg to crack! Howard's approach, whether crude or not, can be disarming or it can be repelling depending on your core personality I suppose. Even though Gerry might seem a bit unnerved by the more personal questions, I think he just wanted to go with the flow of things.

Gerry to me has always seemed like deep down he's a very Earthy, raw and passionate man and what comes off as shallowness is trumped up by his evasiveness to the media. The trouble with that is sometimes trying to go back and change that image he may come off as over doing it and seem disingenuous.

I was amused at one query and discussion especially in light of the now infamous "3 a.m." story! Still not sure how he answered it! Some sidestepping was involved and I laughed out loud at that! I would think as much as Gerry likes to "shock", coming face to face with the "Master" must have been quite an experience for him!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Well I was ready to hear the whole thing anyway cause .....Theresa managed to peek my interest and putting aside Howard Sterns raunchiness I just knew Gerry would handle it well.... I never was a HS fan but I have to say he did make the interview end on a good note. In my opinion I think Howard has a gigantic man crush!

:D Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Frannie, I think you're right! He did sound like he was crushing a bit on our boy! Gerry has such a powerful magnetism about him that draws both sexes in of all ages but I don't think it's a just a sexual thing! He's got a sensual energy to him that just makes you want to be close to him!

I listened to the entire interview and have to say I really did enjoy it. Howard seemed to lead Gerry a bit and asked him a lot of questions and didn't give him a chance to answer but Howard likes to hear himself talk I think!

I've never really cared one way or another for HS. I always thought he just used shock to get attention but he's really a very insightful and smart man and I could tell he really liked Gerry. I was impressed and pleasantly surprised!

However, I'd like to talk to Robin and teach her a few appropriate comebacks for someone like Howard. He likes to put her on the spot and take full advantage of her as his "strait man"! I guess it's not her job to upstage him but she does seem taken off guard by him sometimes and giggle a lot because she has nothing to say back at him but all in all does a pretty good job of coping with him. She did pronounce “Gerard” correctly the first time!

That was interesting about Salt. Angie did a great job in that one but Gerry would have made a great “Watson”.

I think Gerry thoroughly loved the interview and seemed relaxed most of the time and like he had some fun with it for a change with the exception of a couple of instances where he stalled for an answer. I hope he got to say what he wanted and needed to say and didn’t come away thinking, "I wish I hadn't said that!" I think it was very important to him in this interview and he came across very honest where as in some interviews you can clearly tell he's just horsing around with some questions.

I had always wondered what kind of cancer Gerry’s Dad died from and the fact that he sat with his Dad through those last days with him was so moving! It was such a gesture of forgiveness on Gerry’s part which I’m sure gave his Dad a lot of comfort and peace.

I think I learned a lot of “new” things about Gerry from this interview and some things that I already knew but got confirmed and I’m happy.

Delene

I also thought this was a great interview. Yes, parts of it were a little raunchy, but the general tone of the interview was very interesting. Gerry gave thoughtful answers & was very open about some topics that might have been uncomfortable for him.

There were a lot of things said that fans may have already known about Gerry, but I think this was an opportunity for a much wider audience to find out about Gerry the person & what's behind all the things he does, as opposed to "Mr. 300". He's not a caricature. He's real, living person & should be treated that way.

There were definitely new things I discovered about him & some things I had wondered about, that were answered. He held his own & it was obvious that Howard was very impressed with him, as I continue to be.

Way to go Gerry.

Bren

Delene...I can give you some more information about Gerry and his father. Years ago I copied 100 interviews that Gerry did in his early career. With all of the talk about Gerry and his Dad and how Gerry felt about his Dad I can tell you that Gerry was very emotional about his Dad when he was staying with his Dad when he was dying from cancer. Gerry helped the nurse take care of his Dad and when he was failing Gerry said he went crazy and started yelling at the nurse to save his Dad. Gerry also said that when he was taking care of his Dad his mother told him via the phone that he didn't owe it to his Dad to go through that. Gerry's siblings didn't have anything to do with their father. Gerry felt differently and got close to his Dad those last few years and was there for him at the end. That says a lot about Gerry and his capacity to forgive. He has a good heart.

Gerry's Dad did tell Gerry at the end that he was glad that Gerry and his French wife were both there with him.

~HUGS~ Kathy

And this to me is the real truth about Gerry. Listen....as fans for the past several years we've all been subjected to the gossip and half-truths that are out there about Gerry. Ever since 300 he's been a favorite target of tabloids, gossip sites and entertainment journalists. Hell, he's even lost fans over the BS that's been written and said about him, usually based more on speculation and outright lies than fact. I'm not stupid. I know that the guy has a side of himself that's not really my cup of tea...but I NEVER judge Gerry based on what others think or what others write and say about him. Anybody can make up or speculate and attribute negative behavior to Gerry, but these things do not define him.

What defines Gerry's true character is this kind of behavior: The boy's father deserted him when he was only 2 years old. As a result, he has deep seated abandonment issues that have clearly continued to affect his adult life. He doesn't hear from his dad for many years, and even after that restaurant meeting when Gerry was 16, the guy apparently disappeared again. This kid should have hated the man...most kids would have. Then when Gerry hits his early 20's, dad shows up and wants to get to know his son. Does Gerry tell him to go F himself? No, he sees that he has a chance to get to know his dad and so he goes to stay with the man. Not only does he get to know him, but he comes to love him and forgive him. Forgiving a parent for being a lousy parent is not an easy thing to do...I know this because I've been there. You have to find a measure of selfless love within yourself in order to love someone who does not deserve your love. Gerry did this.

Then when dad tells him he's got terminal cancer, Gerry is the one who stays with him and helps care for him while he is dying. Hands on care. Through the whole awful process, Gerry was there for him. THAT defines the kind of man Gerry is. A saint-no, but a decent human being who knows how to love and who does not deserve the crappy reputation the press and gossip sites have given him. I adore him!

Edited by Swansong

Swannie well said and thanks, Kathy! Seems I remember the bit about the French wife! She broke her leg or something and wasn't much help. But for anyone, especially a young man, to care for a dying parent like that takes so much heart and soul, especially in the face of the circumstances! It proves when Gerry loves, he loves deeply and forever.

Gerry's story would be a terrific one for a film! The story of a young man, growing up in Scotland, knowing his passion but Hollywood might as well be a million miles away. He’s always trying to fill a void in his heart! He’s lost in his own life, angry and heading down the wrong path but always trying to please everyone else.

Then with a turn of events, he strikes out with perseverance and determination and through his own transformation, makes his slow struggle to reach his dreams! He wins his first Oscar! After all the congratulations and praise of the evening, he just wants to take a walk by himself and he steps out on to the street, just him and the golden statue.

Thunder rolls and he looks up to the heavens and says through tears, "Look, Dad, I did it! Are you proud of me?" Then as the sky opens up and the rain washes over him, a guy walks by wearing one of those silly umbrella hats on his head and Gerry laughs that delicious laugh of his!

The End.

End credits,

:tissues:

Delene

Despite Howard's raunchy comments and Robin's stupid and irritating giggle, that was an AWESOME interview! Gerry did handle himself well. I learned the back story of some of the things I already knew about Gerry and learned lots more. It does seem that Howard has a "man crush" for The Butler and he did praise MGP many times.

The BEST part of the interview was getting to hear over an hour of Gerry's amazing Scottish accent!!!

:goodjob:

Swannie well said and thanks, Kathy! Seems I remember the bit about the French wife! She broke her leg or something and wasn't much help. But for anyone, especially a young man, to care for a dying parent like that takes so much heart and soul, especially in the face of the circumstances! It proves when Gerry loves, he loves deeply and forever.

Gerry's story would be a terrific one for a film! The story of a young man, growing up in Scotland, knowing his passion but Hollywood might as well be a million miles away. He’s always trying to fill a void in his heart! He’s lost in his own life, angry and heading down the wrong path but always trying to please everyone else.

Then with a turn of events, he strikes out with perseverance and determination and through his own transformation, makes his slow struggle to reach his dreams! He wins his first Oscar! After all the congratulations and praise of the evening, he just wants to take a walk by himself and he steps out on to the street, just him and the golden statue.

Thunder rolls and he looks up to the heavens and says through tears, "Look, Dad, I did it! Are you proud of me?" Then as the sky opens up and the rain washes over him, a guy walks by wearing one of those silly umbrella hats on his head and Gerry laughs that delicious laugh of his!

The End.

End credits,

:tissues:

Delene

Oh Delene... :tissues: How I wish that would come true. I will admit that when they were talking Oscar for Gerry I started thinking how hard that acceptance speech would be for Gerry. I'm sure his life would flash before his eyes and he would think about his father and how disappointed his Mum was when he was fired as a lawyer. Holding that Oscar would make everything alright in Gerry's eyes. I think you should start writing the screenplay for Gerry's life story. What a movie that would make.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I'm not a regular listener of the Stern show but I have watch him before when he had the TV show.

I thought the interview was Great too!

I don't embarrass easily and Howard was just being Howard. He did seem very interested in Gerry and he truly loved the movie and had nothing but good things to say about it.

We all know Gerry has a very raunchy side himself so I think he fit right in IMHO. Great insight into Gerry's past with his father.

Well done Gerry and Howard!!!

Cheryl

I LOOOOOAAAATTTTTHHHHHHHE Howard Stern. I contemplated long and hard (snort) before deciding I would listen. Man, am I glad I did!!! Maybe it's the gutter gal in me, but I LOVE THIS INTERVIEW -- it's the whole PACKAGE!! Funny, revealing, raunchy -- it's got everything! I agree with all those that have said this is the most interesting interview we've had in ... maybe forever.

As one with "serious daddy issues," listening to some of this is heart-wrenching as I can so completely empathize.

AND, unlike reading an interview, not only do we get great content, but -- for a whole hour -- we get a GRRRREAT ear-feckin, complete with accent, inflection and laughing!

:woo:

The thing with Howard is that he talks to his interviewee as if you are sitting together on the couch at home just chatting in private. Howard's not afraid of what he says so neither should anyone else be who's around him. Gerry does have a raunchy side that he likes to "expose" now and then and funny thing is, when he does, it's sexy and I don't know about the rest of you, but a huge turn on! :pant:

I think too Howard did try to get Gerry talking about his relationships but Gerry really didn't reveal anything else there then was already known, in fact, in the face of being grilled by Howard Stern, he held his own and did not cave to the pressure. Howard tried to get him to swagger and brag about his "conquests" but Gerry held fast and in reality I think he's telling the truth when he says he's not how he's portrayed in the media.

But there is nothing sexier then when a man reveals private things about himself. He opens up and makes himself vulnerable talking about stuff maybe most would not discuss, especially in a public forum but of course only on the HS Show.

Delene

Posted Image The Howard Stern interview was entertaining, the language I'm ok with, I'm half irish, but the filth!....a little OTT, they don't allow that on English radio stations, but it was good and yeah Gerry spills the beans on his wilder days. I didn't realise how wild, but we get the picture now. The family stuff is very personal and obviously a delicate subject, but he lets us know how understanding he is and compassionate and ultimately how forgiving he was, towards his father. The bad boy stuff during his teens - well....his birth number is 4 that represents rebellion! He was unhappy and not doing what he wanted - thankfully he rectified that.Posted Image

Check out this link: http://www.howard.tv/whatsOn/

Howard TV on Demand seem to have the interview on video until Oct 6. Does anyone in the US get this channel? It would the best thing ever to have this interview on video! I would subscribe just for that but I an not in the US.

Theresa

Hi Theresa,

Most cable providers in the U.S. have "On Demand" which means you get to pick a movie or program from a list they have. Some of the shows are free and some, like HowardTV or new movies, are $2-$4 to watch one specific movie or program. Then you can usually get the option to watch the show as many times as you want in a 24 hour period. Gerry's interview was about an hour and 18 minutes but for some reason they cut it down to 44 minutes on HowardTV.

Sheila

Edited by PebblesRocker

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have finally managed to work out the book that Gerry makes reference to called “Resurrection”. I think it the one by Neville Godard (after wading through many other books on google with "Resurrection" in the title!) and the description fits in with what Gerry was talking about.

I think I have finally managed to work out the book that Gerry makes reference to called "Resurrection". I think it the one by Neville Godard (after wading through many other books on google with "Resurrection" in the title!) and the description fits in with what Gerry was talking about.

Hey Frisby. :wave: Yes that's the right one. We had a chance to talk to him about that book after the Q&A on Friday night. :)

He spoke very highly of it.

Lisa

I think I have finally managed to work out the book that Gerry makes reference to called "Resurrection". I think it the one by Neville Godard (after wading through many other books on google with "Resurrection" in the title!) and the description fits in with what Gerry was talking about.

Hey Frisby. :wave: Yes that's the right one. We had a chance to talk to him about that book after the Q&A on Friday night. :)

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

Wow you spoke to the man himself!

Sounds like an interesting read.

It has obviously had a big impact on him.

I must admit I find some of those "spooky coincidences" in life fascinating so maybe there is more to them than we realise.

So happy for you that you got to speak to Gerry you lucky lady :)

I am now going off into a dark corner to "visualise meeting him someday"!!!

x

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

Wow you spoke to the man himself!

Sounds like an interesting read.

It has obviously had a big impact on him.

I must admit I find some of those "spooky coincidences" in life fascinating so maybe there is more to them than we realise.

So happy for you that you got to speak to Gerry you lucky lady :)

I am now going off into a dark corner to "visualise meeting him someday"!!!

x

It wasn't just me. A group of us who were there together. Yes we are all very blessed and lucky, but then so is he to have such wonderful devoted fans. :D