Gerard Butler GALS

9/25 - MGP has decent 1st round in limited release

Paisleyscot

Machine Gun Preacher' has decent first round in limited release

A gun-wielding Christian missionary packed some heat at the box office this weekend as "Machine Gun Preacher" got off to a respectable start in limited release.

The film -- based on the real-life story of thug-turned-preacher Sam Childers, who traveled to Sudan to help children affected by the war there -- opened in four theaters and collected $44,000, according to an estimate from distributor Relativity Media. The gives the movie, which played in New York and Los Angeles this weekend, a good per-theater average of $11,000.

The picture's U.S. distribution rights were sold by Lionsgate to Relativity in July. At that time a Lionsgate executive told the Times that the company's film slate was too packed for "Machine Gun Preacher" to get the "attention it needed." The film, which had a budget of about $30 million, is still being released internationally by Lionsgate.

The movie, directed by Marc Forster and starring Gerard Butler, appealed to a slightly more female audience this weekend. A largely older crowd appears to be most interested in seeing the movie, as 82% of the audience this weekend was age 25 or older. Because of the picture's strong religious themes, Relativity is marketing it to a faith-based audience. Some pastors are referring to the movie in their sermons, and the film has been screened for various church groups.

It remains to be seen whether that segment of the audience will turn up to see the film in large numbers next weekend, when the R-rated movie will expand to 15 markets including Boston, Chicago and Houston.

Source

For such a small release, MGP did better than I thought it would. Hopefully the numbers will go up in wider release next week. Both Gerry and the story deserve to be noticed! We don't get to see it here in San Antonio until next week and then only at an art house. :(

Don't feel bad Suz.....I don't see it playing near me at all! Yeah, maybe NYC but that's a pain to get there and also a couple of hours! :tantrum: I can't believe I didn't see NY state on the release list!

:wave: Frannie

Don't feel bad Suz.....I don't see it playing near me at all! Yeah, maybe NYC but that's a pain to get there and also a couple of hours! :tantrum: I can't believe I didn't see NY state on the release list!

So Frannie, can I bribe you to get on a plane and fly down to San Antonio to see it with us?????

Suzie

So Frannie, can I bribe you to get on a plane and fly down to San Antonio to see it with us?????

Suzie

Hi There I will check out the Sunday papers here in Chula Vista, CA near San Diego, CA and see if it was playing over the weekend. Because I have cancer, I haven't been able to go into movie houses where there are lots of people..old and young. I seem to catch things to quickly. But we do have NETFLIX and a lot of older movies, series, etc. are shown on Netflix...I can wait if it is a Gerry movie. My hubby and I have seen every single movie, series that he has ever made and we both love him. He is so underrated as an actor. He was so outsting in Dear Frankie, One More Kiss, Attila, Phantom of the Opera, The Jury and everything he has ever done. The very young just seem to be interested in SOME OF THE dumbest movies I have ever seen. Yes, even I have seen some of those goofy movies. Gerry Butler deserves a lot more credit for his acting. The ones I mentioned are outstanding and he will always be an outstanding actor. Hollywierd is full of a lot of bad actors both in movies and on TV...Netflix is MUY cheapy compared to paying $.4.99 a movie on cable or in the movie houses. George and I can wait for Netflix or DVD...just to bad a lot of people don't appreciate his abilities of kindness, caring and a darn good actor.

Oh well, such is the population that has missed his acting...Law Abiding Citizen was another one he should have received an award for. We paid for The Swain and it was so dark, and the acting wasn't that good. I don't know how she got an award for that. Because she really is a good actor, that movie STUNK...pooooeeee poop...sometimes good actors get lousy movies, but when hollywood trys to make us think they are good..No more will I trust them. I will wait for them to be on NETFLIX...I just found out about CLEE because my daughter and our kids found out that Ian Brennen the creator of GLEE went to the same high school that our kids went too...PROSPECT HIGH SCHOOL in Mt. Prospect...I watched the first season on Netflix (no commercials) and then bought the second season which I am watching little by little. We have patience to wait for Gerry's movies..he deserves a lot of attention.

:pointy: Donna Jean Montalbano :funnyup:

Sorry, I mean GLEE not clee...It was Prospect High School in Mt. Prospect, Illinois where the high school was. It was a part of District 2l4 High Schools...Our kids grew up in that wonderful town. Basically between Des Plaines, Illinois and Arlington Heights, Illinois. George and I have been living out here in California for the last going on 21 years. Only our daughter still lives in the Chicago area. Two out here in California, and one in Washington State...I think Ian Brennen went there a big while after our kids graduated and moved on to California and Washington State...still a wonderful small town, about 55 thousand but the district 214 took in several Chicago suburbs...Don't miss that cold, damp, snowy weather, just our daughter and family members. Go about once a year to see everyone and look at our old house on Central Road...he he he as I mentioned out here for almost 21 years and love the weather in calfionia...San Diego, Chula Vista, CA area...

now spoiled... :pointy::funnyup: Donna Jean...I am going downstairs to check my sunday paper and see if Machine Gun Preacher is in the movie section.

It is mentioned in OUR SUNDAY PAPERS...advertisement but even in California where he lives part of the time, it is mentioned at an art house in HILLCREST, CA which is really San Diego and also mentioned in La Jolla at a Landmark theater, just one theater. Both give the date as September 30, which is Saturday. I will check the papers again on Friday and over the weekend. I am so sad too to think that Gerry living part of his time in California, they are not accommodating him by at least showing it in a few more theaters. Well, I will check it out again on Saturday and Sunday...boooo hoooo naughty Californians...I know there are a lot of us that would love to see his movie. Well, if it is rated R..kids under l7 can't see it not because of nudity, but the violence..which of course is based on the Real Life truth. We are getting to be real wimps in this country. We see all the nasty pix that have women beaten up, undressed, abused, etc. but when it comes to the real truth, we don't have guts to watch it. That is probably why the older people like us remember the horrible people of the 2nd world war, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and then the ugly group from Viet nam..we can take it but evendently the younger ones like things like people killed with hachets and all those ugly movies with the creeps in them. Can't take anything that represents real life stories. That will be our down fall in the future.

Donna Jean...I will keep in touch if I see something about Machine Gun Preacher and Gerry B.

hugs, Donna Jean

Edited by Donna Jean