Gerard Butler GALS

1/6 - Gerard Butler: Near-Death Surfing Accident Was 'Close Call'

becozy

Gerard Butler is battling an addiction – to surfing. Butler, 42, says he wanted to get right back into the water after his near-death experience when he was pulled underwater and dragged over a reef in Northern California last month while filming the surf movie Of Men and Mavericks. "I was going to go back that day," the 300 star said on the U.K.'s The Graham Norton Show.

"I was actually in the ambulance and wanted to go back, which was a little crazy, but it's pretty addictive." Instead, Butler was taken to Stanford Medical Center, where he was evaluated and released. Speaking about the incident, Butler tells Norton: "This was maybe one of the few times that the reports were not exaggerated. It was a pretty close call. ... [The waves] just took me and I couldn't get up. It was pretty hairy."

But if there's a silver lining to the incident, it's that it helped Butler get into his character, surf enthusiast Rick "Frosty" Hesson. "In the movie, I put in a scene about a 'two wave hold down,' when you are down for so long that the next wave comes over before you get back up, and that's what happened to me," he said. "They finally grabbed me just as another huge wave was coming in. It was just like a movie! In fact, everything I talked about happening in the movie happened to me."

By Liz Raftery

Friday January 06, 2012 10:30 AM EST

Source

"...a little crazy..." But that's the way he is.

Under the influence of an adventurous spirit and a seemingly unquenchable thirst for life's experiences.

Got to love him but thank God he is watched over at times... * Mind wanders* :funnyface:

sue grint - gbutts greatest london fan - i saw gerry last night at the coriolanus prescreening in mayfair and he looked great. i was trying to ask him then if he was ok now and that it was great to see him, as it could have been worse, no more gbutt, but there was so much going on at the screening that he didnt hear me. i said hello to alan and asked him if he was ok now and he said yes, he was a bit shaken up, obviously, at the time, but fine now.

I'm so glad to see him back out and smiling. I hope he is more careful in the water.

I think he will continue to surf, but hope he is very careful in the future.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Someone said - might have been Gerry himself - that he has an addictive personality, so you can bet he'll be surfing again. We all know how he likes to "push the envelope", but I think he'll be cautious; he IS a smart man and won't put himself in harm's way (just a little close to it!). That's our GERRY!!!

Gotta love him,

Kathy GG

Oh, and he himself said during the show that he had already been out of his depth two times before this... Hmmm.... :lalala:

Edited by NordicGirl

Wow...lucky girl!!!

YES, I think we all feel the same way cutie!

hugs,

Sue

Hi Irish, I bet you forgot how you helped me to place my avatar and signature on this website. I did not forget your kindnesss. Just been treating for the darn Hodgkins Stage 4 longer than I hoped I would be doing. I still have one more section GROIN area and probably will be going to University California, San Diego to get it taken care of where the doctor will just deal with Hodgkins..I pray this will be the end. I have been doing this thingy since 2007.

Anyway, soooo happy sweet Gerry Bulter is OK with his surfing accident. One thing about WE SCORPIO'S once something like that happens, we are not foolish enough to try it again...and of course the people making the movie, will not allow Gerry to even thing about it.

SOMEONE UP THERE was WATCHING OVER HIM and I bet he knows that NOW.

Hope things have been good for you. We are blessed with another little Montalbano...our youngest son, Gary, the artist and writer had a darling sweet little girl names SEARRA JEANELLE, born 6/13/11 she looks like my son and has dimples like our son Gary and my hubby George..she is a pure delight and her older borther LOGAN who will be 4 years old valentine's day, Feb. l4 watches over her so carefully and lovingly...we are blessed with our grown children and grand children..That is why I just want to be through with this nasty decease and get myself back to taking the Courses at the university level...keep your fingers crossed, this will be the end of it...and thank you soooooo much for my lovely Avatar and Signature, blessings to you and yours and let me know how everything is going with you.

GDMontalban@cox.net

Donna Jean and George and clan

Edited by Donna Jean

Donna Jean!!! Hello sweetie. You keep up the good fight and when you want a new siggy or avatar don't hesitate to ask. It's so good to see you!

From the sounds of it Gerry must have suffered a type of post traumatic stress afterwards (the little comment about not being able to swallow water and how he got during the GMS just talking about it). Gerry please take care of yourself.

hugs,

Sue

Donna Jean!!! Hello sweetie. You keep up the good fight and when you want a new siggy or avatar don't hesitate to ask. It's so good to see you!

From the sounds of it Gerry must have suffered a type of post traumatic stress afterwards (the little comment about not being able to swallow water and how he got during the GMS just talking about it). Gerry please take care of yourself.

hugs,

Sue

Hi Sue (Irish)

Oh I love what you did for me regarding the avatars and signature...That is one of my hubby George and myself's favorite movies...it is so darn cute...adult, but darling...we are defintely adults. Yesterday we watch Phantom of the Opera on I think it was HBO or Starz..

We never, ever get tired of watching any of his movies...I understand he is on Jay Leno tonight...I don't want to miss that at 11:30PM California time...well Sue he is such a darling man. I hope soon he meets the right lady so he can really enjoy having someone dear to share everything with. Maybe now that he is getting a wee wee bit older, he might see the joys that he hasn't delved into yet...a good marriage...George is still teaching...at ITT Technical Institute...he will be home a wee bit later.

We got robbed a 2 weeks before Christmas...I am part Italian and they stoled my jewelry boxes of things I had for over 50 years. They are in for big big trouble...They stoled my ItaLIAN HAND..which will bring them nothing but nasty nasty luck. We also live on LOT l3 and our address numbers are 526 which adds up to l3 and I am born on Halloween...I have more Italian horn, because I wear it or carry it with me, but my hand which my hubby and kids gave me so many years ago was in my little jewelry boxes that they stoled, along with our Samsung 47 inch TV...We now have ADT security so I guess they won't bother us again, but they don't know what they let loose with stealing an Italian or part Italians like me and all Italian like my hubby's items...Nothing but bad bad Karma and not a days anymore of good luck...I almost feel sorry for them...he he he...no not REALLY...remember I am born on HAlloween....ah yes, such is life for nasty, nasty, mean stealing people like them...hummmmm...Hope all is going well with you and all the lovely ladies at GALS...I best make sure I write myself a note so I wont forget Jay Leno...I usually listen to the radio at night after my hubby gets tired and we head up stairs for sleepy time...but not tonight if Gerry B. is on...can hardly wait for his movies to come out on DVD..I signed up on Amazon.com...cant go into big crowds because of the Hodgkins, Cancer but I can wait for the DVDs to see Machine Gun Preacher and Coriolanus...really anxious to see those two.

Hugs, to you and yours...don't forget, keep me up to date with you and yours...my machine wont copy what I type so I will check in tomorrow to see if you answered this. I am not real good about keeping up with e mails and these sites, but of lately I am trying to gather more energy to do that...hugs, Donna Jean and George and clan