Gerard Butler GALS

1/22 - The best of Gerard Butler...so far

Dr. Em

The best of Gerard Butler...so far

1/22/2012

Jackie Morrison of thecelebritycafe.com

What's next from the Highlander?

One still wonders what the film world would have been like if a young Scottish lawyer had not decided to give up a legal career in favor of pursuing his acting dreams in London. Once upon a time there was a handsome hunky highlander in Glasgow who had been the president of the law society at his University. He graduated with an honors degree in law and had been the lead singer of a local band that performed in pubs around town. He was academically gifted and a career in the legal profession was a match for his intellect but it appears that his artistic yearnings were much stronger. A twist of fate happened when he was not able to complete his traineeship at a prominent law firm in Scotland. The legal door closed and Hollywood beckoned. If you are a fan of this man, you know who I am talking about. His name is Gerard Butler.

Since becoming an actor, this former lawyer has brought some interesting movies to the large screen. The following is the best of Gerard Butler so far.

One More Kiss

In 1999, the 28-year-old Butler appeared in this Scottish film about a man named Sam who runs a local restaurant in Scotland with his wife, Charlotte. Sam gets the surprise of his life when his childhood sweetheart, Sara, returns to him after seven years in New York. While Sara had been away, she developed a life-threatening illness and it is her dying wish to spend what time she has left on earth with her one and only Sam. Butler brought a sensitivity and emotional portrayal that is not sappy but makes you question what you would do if you were Sam. His Scottish accent is still very strong here and he is unrecognizable.

Cradle of Life

Butler paired with Angelina Jolie to play a former Royal Marine turned mercenary in this sequel to Lara Croft. Butler's character is named Terry Sheridan and he must help Croft recover Pandora's Box in Africa. This film was the one that showed how much Butler can physically alter his appearance. Filmed about four years after One More Kiss, this is a Butler who has no resemblance to Sam. His long black curly hair is now a buzz cut and his bodybuilding for the role was obvious.

Dear Frankie

We only know him as the stranger in this tale of a Scottish single mother who creates a deception so her young son does not know the truth about his real father. A young boy named Frankie writes regularly to his father who he believes is away at sea. In reality, his dad is a violent man who caused Frankie's deafness. Butler is introduced in the film when Lizzie, Frankie's mom, must produce a fake father to convince Frankie that his dad is a seaman.

Phantom of the Opera

Butler had to get singing lessons for this role but his days as a local rock star in Glasgow came in handy. The classic tale was retold with Butler playing Erik, the Phantom. Included are lots of singing and mystery, but it won him many new fans. Many people had been used to Michael Crawford as the Phantom, so Butler took a risk stepping into the shoes of a stage legend.

This 2006 film was Butler's breakthrough role as the King of Sparta, Leonidas. Special effects were courtesy of CGI and Butler became even more muscular than he was in real life. His abs of steel made him an international movie star when this movie was released. Men noticed him as much as women and wanted to get the King Leonidas workout.

P.S. I Love You

Butler was the romantic comedy lead in this 2007 film about a young widow who must learn to live without her husband. Butler went from Scottish accent to Irish to play Gerry Kennedy, a fun-loving singer who is married to Hilary Swank. Gerry dies before his wife's 30th birthday and writes a series of letters to her with instructions on how to enjoy life in his absence. This film is a major tearjerker, so, if you are a fan of Butler, it is very hard to watch without getting very upset.

The Ugly Truth

This was a movie based on the essential differences of men and women in dating. Butler is a shock jock TV host named Mike Chadway, who must deal with his conservative and romantic producer, Abbie. Mike makes a deal with Abbie that he can help her win over the affections of her handsome neighbor, Colin, who happens to be a doctor. If Colin falls for Abbie, then Mike will quit. As Mike coaches Abbie to bring a man under her spell, he actually begins to fall for her himself.

So far, it appears that the Scottish lawyer who left the Highlands for London to find success in a world of creativity has accomplished his dreams. It is hard to imagine anyone but Butler in any of the films he has been in. In the past year, Butler added the duties of executive producer to his resume with Machine Gun Preacher. His first film of 2012 is Coriolanus.

Butler's career has had a prolific track record to date. His latest films showcase his serious side in playing intense characters in provocative plots. Somehow it all seems like destiny. They say that if you are meant to be on a path, once you agree to take the road and journey towards it, all doors will open for you. In his case, it appears that the scales of justice could not contain the creative energies of Gerard Butler. It's a good thing because what would those films have been had it not been for him?

Reading the story-lines brought back some memories - happy and sad. Thank you, Dayna.

It may not be the best of the films according to the critics and make it on the list, but Dracula 2000 is my favourite Posted Image

xx A

I have always thought the short film Please was a wonderful piece of work and rarely talked about. You really believe in the character's emotional unraveling and the final scenes are deeply upsetting and all in udder 20 mins.

J

sue again, i also forgot machine gun preacher, which is absolutely mind blowing and gbutts greatest performance todate. i went to see coriolanus, and although gerry was good at his shakespeare, it didnt do anything for me. i found it too heavy and the speech got on my nerves in the end, but thats just me, a lot of people will go for this.

its been years since i havent enjoyed a film with gbutt in, but its true what they say, what one person likes, others dont, and being a true fan of gbutts since 02 it sounds good when i find a film with him in which i gladly admit i didnt enjoy, as people always say, you will enjoy anything hes in as you are a fan of his, but this is not so. it makes me sound normal and not a gbutt fanatical, although it was nice he managed to keep his scottish brogue and he did look mega hot in uniform.

Isn't it refreshing to read a very good article re: Gerard Butler. As far as his movies go, I was just thankful when he didn't die in it. :) I think he's an excellent actor because he immerses his self in the roles that he plays. So many people that I know don't really know who he is until you mention the name of a movie and then you hear, "Oh I saw that. Was that him?". I have my favorites like everyone but if they told me he was selling detergent, I would watch it everytime it came on! :kisswink:

I have always thought the short film Please was a wonderful piece of work and rarely talked about. You really believe in the character's emotional unraveling and the final scenes are deeply upsetting and all in udder 20 mins.

J

Have to agree here. In fact, I think it is one of the most riveting films I have ever seen.

Excellent article.

I was also blown away by Please... :tissues: Not to mention The Jury. And... You know there had to be some missing.

Oh well, so many movies so little time, huh?? He is awesome. Nuff said.

Edited by NordicGirl

sue grint -gbutts greatest london fan

what about butterfly on a wheel and law abiding citizen, two fantastic performances from gerry, and very tense thrillers. also gamer, which was very unusual, and took awhile to enjoy, but very cleverly made. also, rocknrolla, a black comedy and brilliant.

Totally with you on that.

What a great article - thoroughly enjoyed it as well as the video...Thanks sooo much, Dr. Em! :yay:

Kathy G

Finally, an article about movies that doesn't bash him. I honestly have to say that all the movies I've seen (usually over and over again) so far are good. There's a good few that are really left out though. It kinda makes me a little sad but happy that someone actually appreciates the talent this lovable man has. Makes me want to pop one of his movies in now but it's too late at night, darn... If only i had my ps3, i would be watching something good. :)

Silver.

sue grint -gbutts greatest london fan

what about butterfly on a wheel and law abiding citizen, two fantastic performances from gerry, and very tense thrillers. also gamer, which was very unusual, and took awhile to enjoy, but very cleverly made. also, rocknrolla, a black comedy and brilliant.

Chalk up another "Gamer" and "Law Abiding Citizen" fan here. One of my faves is "One More Kiss". (I still think Charlotte desesrved to lose Sam. )Count me as "Sam's sous chef"! He just gets better and better!! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I was also blown away by Please... :tissues: Not to mention The Jury. And... You know there had to be some missing.

Oh well, so many movies so little time, huh?? He is awesome. Nuff said.

I agree two of his best films were PLEASE and THE JURY, but then I didn't come upon them until I was first introduced to him through THE PHANTOM of THE OPERA...my hubby and I loved, loved the music from listening to Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman's version. Then one day my hubby said for our anniversary lets go see this new movie The Phantom of the Opera..of course I said Yes, Yes....Once I saw him in that first movie, I joined wherever I could to get information about him...I was HOOKED for life...Found ever movie he had ever made and kept the ones that were on DVD...still have them...as far as I am concerned, he has always been a great actor from the first time we saw him. Thank goodness My hubby puts up with me and even enjoys, The Phantom and The Ugly Truth...we enjoy those together ever so often...Infact

we just saw The Phantom, twice within the last few months on HBO togethr. Gerry is a superb actor and we have enjoyed everything he has ever made. Haven't seen Machine Gun Preacher or Corliolanus yet. Because I am treating for cancer, cant be with big crowds, but have put my name down on Amazon.com for when they both come out on DVD...so looking forward to seeing him in those and soooo sad that we have to wait so long to see him in his movies.. Ah yes, as they say, SUCH IS LIFE...He is such a gracious and kind and loving type of a man. Hope he meets someone special soon...He has such a cute sense of humor and love that laugh. It is infectious .....right it's catching... :tantrum::kiss:

Donna Jean and my sweetie George and our clan...all like his movies..given mucho DVDs as gifts to my sisters, niece, granddaughters,saughte-in-laws and friends...he is well liked by many age groups....

Edited by Donna Jean