Gerard Butler GALS

BTW, that is one hunky Scotsman you have there, I love the big guys. Looks like he competes in the heavy athletics. Does he toss the caber?

YES! He does, in fact, participate in the heavy games. Typically he participates in Tulsa, Midwest City (OK) and Dallas. He tosses a mean caber -- his best event; followed by weight for distance and the "sheep" toss. He recently tore his rotator cuff tossin' the "stick," and that's put a damper on our games participation. However, I'm all a twitter because he asked me if I'd be interested in going to the Highland Games IN Scotland in 2007 or 2008. My actual response: "Not quite what I had in mind, but OK!!" (Hubby didn't get it. But inside of my pointed little noggin, I was dying in laughter!!)

As you've noticed, my guy's rather "fluffy." If the need arises, he will most assuredly need more than one ice pack!

:Yee-Haw:

Thanks, again, for your generous offer! LOL

My husband used to compete too. He "retired" in 2000 after winning the largest games in New England. We loved it, and used to travel from CT to ME.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all... HI! I'm new here. Secondly, let me say how refreshing it is to read these thoughtful and respectful posts regarding this subject. It's nice to be able to discuss it and receive different points of view without someone getting all bent out of shape.

Quoted from Touchmetrustme: HOWEVER, just use your heads, ladies, and if he starts relaying his concerns about coworkers thinking he is not really into his work because of time spent having pictures made with fans and signing autographs, etc.... he is telling you in a very tactful and gentlemanly way, "Bug off, you may be damaging my career, you are over-stepping the boundary." Learn how to take a hint.

In a perfect world, this is the simple answer. Unfortunately, as Gerard's success and popularity rises, these cringeworthy instances are going to increase. They will, that's just how it is. He is going to have to do something about this himself. He really is the only one who can. And that really is too bad, because I can see he enjoys his fans.

Peace, people. :)

SPOT, your husband is a bonny man in his plaid! Hang onto that one!

Welcome to GALS, Windy! I did see your reply to my thread on the other site. Glad you made your way over here.

I have been astounded by the number of people who have read my locked thread, and by the PMs I have received in response. Hopefully the word is getting out, and fans are giving more thought to their behavior with Gerry. Not to discourage anyone from still dreaming of meeting him, my wish is that those who do, will be considerate and aware of his immediate situation.

He is such a kind and generous man, at times it seems as though from his perspective, he cannot do enough to show his appreciation for us.

Gerry is in a class by himself.

Swan

Guest Beanie

Ahhhh, yes! This issue has been plaguing my mind the more I read about the goings on in Vancouver. Basically, it boils down to this - they guy is WORKING. You wouldn't expect someone to come into your work place and ask you to give up your lunch break, so why ask him? He is in between a rock and a hard place now...on the one hand, he does appreciate his fans, and likes to do what he can for them. But on the other hand, he is in the situation where he needs to look professional and serious about his work to his associates. This matters a lot when it comes to getting future jobs! So push is going to come to shove, and he may have to do the uncomfortable thing whereby he puts his foot down rather firmly. This, I fear, could be taken out of context by the unwary fan, and they could make him seem unfriendly or harsh. The best tactic for all of us? Don't try to visit him in Vancouver!!! Just leave it alone - he DOES try so hard to provide appropriate venues for meeting him - on the job site is not one of them. If you are not fortunate enough to be able to make it to one of these appropriate meet and greet opportunities, just sit tight and enjoy him from afar. Do not try to make your own opportunity. Being a fan takes a certain amount of responsibility on our part. Do you support him? Then make his job easier by not putting undue pressure on him. That includes leaving him to do his job in peace. That way, we ALL get to enjoy his incredible talent to its fullest extent.

Rant done.

~Beanie

Ahhhh, yes! This issue has been plaguing my mind the more I read about the goings on in Vancouver. Basically, it boils down to this - they guy is WORKING. You wouldn't expect someone to come into your work place and ask you to give up your lunch break, so why ask him? He is in between a rock and a hard place now...on the one hand, he does appreciate his fans, and likes to do what he can for them. But on the other hand, he is in the situation where he needs to look professional and serious about his work to his associates. This matters a lot when it comes to getting future jobs! So push is going to come to shove, and he may have to do the uncomfortable thing whereby he puts his foot down rather firmly. This, I fear, could be taken out of context by the unwary fan, and they could make him seem unfriendly or harsh. The best tactic for all of us? Don't try to visit him in Vancouver!!! Just leave it alone - he DOES try so hard to provide appropriate venues for meeting him - on the job site is not one of them. If you are not fortunate enough to be able to make it to one of these appropriate meet and greet opportunities, just sit tight and enjoy him from afar. Do not try to make your own opportunity. Being a fan takes a certain amount of responsibility on our part. Do you support him? Then make his job easier by not putting undue pressure on him. That includes leaving him to do his job in peace. That way, we ALL get to enjoy his incredible talent to its fullest extent.

Rant done.

~Beanie

Couldn't have said it better meself Beanie, Brava lady!

Brava!

Hi, GALS.

I cannot tell you how much it has helped me to see that others feel the same way I do about some of the more "cringe-worthy" fan encounters posted on the other site.

I was actually close to tears (I know, it sounds silly ... but with the other stuff I'm trying to manage, this was the last straw) when I thought about the complete lack of respect these fans were showing for someone whom they profess to admire.

Thanks, ladies ... I needed to know that I wasn't "crazy" for thinking that the behavior in question was a little beyond the pale.

Fiona, Judging by the PMs I received from the other site, there are quite a few concerned fans out there, looking out for Gerry's best interest. I am glad we are not alone in our mutual concern.

I must admit that the phrase "Gerry is a big boy, and can take care of himself" gets a bit tiring. The point is, that Gerry should NOT be expected to deal with issues like this. I guess in a perfect world, everyone would respect everyone else's boundaries.

Well let's hope that things have settled a bit for him, and that he is about to turn in one amazing performance as the gorgeous Neil Warner.

Swan

I'm with you there, Swan...

Yes, Gerry is a grown man, he can take care of himself...but um...shouldn't we, as fans, not be ADDING to problems he has to take care of?

Guest greyeyegoddess

Fiona ((((((HUGS))))))

It's interesting because I kinda feel the opposite about that---To hear people say, "Poor Gerry" or thoughts that he can't handle situations make my eyes roll, or that we can't really interpret what everyone was thinking when they write their thoughts. I'm really not trying to stir up anything, because I really respect all of you and admire you so much---and I know exactly where my feelings come from.

I am deeply grateful that all of you have posted here. True, he shouldn't have to deal with discourteous fans, which is why I suggested that the wonderful list that Sancre gave us should be posted BEFORE fans go out and meet him, not afterwards. I've yet to see something like this done, because we all stated the fans "shouldn't have" instead of reminding them to be courteous, watchful, and get out of the way when it comes time to move.

I still don't think there is a problem with seeing him work if you are going to be there anyways. But I do suggest not to 1) make special trips to Vancouver just to see him 2) get your hopes up high, 3) waste time looking for him, 4) interrupt or interfere with work. And if anyone asks me if I mind getting interrupted at work, I have no choice...people do all the time!

For those of us who have met him, we do spark the light and desire in others who do want to meet him anyway they can. Hopefully, those who feel that Gerry's going to be easy access right now--just a note... Gerry will be BIG next year. Three movies???? It will be Gerry tv, Gerry at the movies, Gerry radio, Gerry here, there, everywhere! I'm kinda glad he's busy, because I need to save money for all the gatherings we're going to have next year.

~alice

I agree with you all on this matter, the guys is working, if he has time and consents then fine do the fan thing but if not respect it, let him go about his business. I don't think Gerry would ever forget a fan who respected his wishes and let him be, it would probably mean more to him than gushing and giggling for ages over him.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great the support that's been shown and I feel like we are talking more about things that may happen rather than incicdents that have occured. Prevention is better than cure!!!

Gerry love!!!!

Celine xx

Fiona ((((((HUGS))))))

It's interesting because I kinda feel the opposite about that---To hear people say, "Poor Gerry" or thoughts that he can't handle situations make my eyes roll, or that we can't really interpret what everyone was thinking when they write their thoughts. I'm really not trying to stir up anything, because I really respect all of you and admire you so much---and I know exactly where my feelings come from.

Just to clarify, Alice ... it's not that I think he can't handle it. I think he shouldn't *have to.* Does that make sense? I think that some of the fans have been really disrespectful. I am sure they aren't doing it deliberately ... I'm sure they don't think anything of it at all.

Maybe I've spent too much time doing Victorian reenactments ... I think there is a general lack of manners in society, and that this situation is a microcosm of the worst of what I mean. :(

:clap::clap:

I agree with Fiona, this isn't about thinking Gerry can't take it, it's about thinking that if fans love him so much, they will remember he's a human being!!!

Fiona ((((((HUGS))))))

Just to clarify, Alice ... it's not that I think he can't handle it. I think he shouldn't *have to.* Does that make sense? I think that some of the fans have been really disrespectful. I am sure they aren't doing it deliberately ... I'm sure they don't think anything of it at all.

Maybe I've spent too much time doing Victorian reenactments ... I think there is a general lack of manners in society, and that this situation is a microcosm of the worst of what I mean. :(

I know were you're coming from Fiona. I'd hate for the fans to become a hindernace to him. It's not meant in a "poor Gerry" way just a if you're a fan respect him and know that there is a time and a place.

I know what your saying as well Alice, Gerry can well look after himself but ask yourself if the man has a lunch hour should it not be spent relaxing and eating, if he takes a photo with one fan then a whole heap of them will expect the same and it's just unfair to expect him to devote all his spare time to us(btw I know you would never ask that of him)

Celine xx

Perhaps what this boils down to, is that there are many different "types" of fans. Honestly, were I faced with an opportunity to meet him in person, I have NO idea how I would act, but I do know that my "Fandom" has gone way beyond infatuation and fangirl hysteria, to deep admiration and respect. I would like to think that I would handle myself accordingly, given my own encounter.

I am not saying that all levels of fandom are not legit, or that one fan is better than another... but I am saying that Gerry deserves the BEST we can give him.

Someone who has been a Mod for several sites involving actors has stated that the relationship Gerry has with his fans is by no means the norm. Most actors have very little to do with their fan sites, and very few actors call their fans, or arrange personal contacts of any sort. For his own reasons, Gerry has chosen to break the mold, and has made himself available to those of us who adore him.

He is a savvy and highly intelligent man, who is also humble and unbelievably approachable.

Swan

Well I was all packed and ready for Vancouver

Until I read this post

It has occurred to me that well i have family in Vancouver that haven't seen since my Dad died I would be going to sneak a peek at Gerry and to bug him at work is just wrong

The urge to be near him and meet him is very strong for me

But the respect and admiration I have for him and what he does is stronger

So Work hard Gerry can't wait to see the final product

Guest greyeyegoddess

I agree that courtesy is not common, and I admit I'm still learning what is appropriate and what is not.

I completely agree as seen in my 2nd paragraph....

I am deeply grateful that all of you have posted here. True, he shouldn't have to deal with discourteous fans, which is why I suggested that the wonderful list that Sancre gave us should be posted BEFORE fans go out and meet him, not afterwards. I've yet to see something like this done, because we all stated the fans "shouldn't have" instead of reminding them to be courteous, watchful, and get out of the way when it comes time to move.

Perhaps what this boils down to, is that there are many different "types" of fans. Honestly, were I faced with an opportunity to meet him in person, I have NO idea how I would act, but I do know that my "Fandom" has gone way beyond infatuation and fangirl hysteria, to deep admiration and respect. I would like to think that I would handle myself accordingly, given my own encounter.

Swan, you're preaching to the choir LOL! That is something I learned very early on in dealing with fans online--different levels of fans...from all over the world, and what we might think is rude would be appropriate in other cultures, too. But I'm going towards a tangent here, let's move back. I'm quite assured that Swan--you'd handle yourself in a way that would make all of us proud. Of course we're talking about a social situation...who knows what would happen one on one.... :lol:

Someone who has been a Mod for several sites involving actors has stated that the relationship Gerry has with his fans is by no means the norm. Most actors have very little to do with their fan sites, and very few actors call their fans, or arrange personal contacts of any sort. For his own reasons, Gerry has chosen to break the mold, and has made himself available to those of us who adore him.

This is true for most of the world---the internet is for the fans as most entertainers will say and have said. But I do know of a handful of known actors who are involved just as much as Gerry is....

I am not saying that all levels of fandom are not legit, or that one fan is better than another... but I am saying that Gerry deserves the BEST we can give him.

And that's the best thing to say.... ::D: Edited by greyeyegoddess

An encounter with Gerry one-on-one? Oh Lord.... I'm afraid my good-girl intentions would go right out the window!

"Here, Mr Butler, let me help you with those pesky buttons...."

Swan

An encounter with Gerry one-on-one? Oh Lord.... I'm afraid my good-girl intentions would go right out the window!

"Here, Mr Butler, let me help you with those pesky buttons...."

Swan

One-on-one with Gerard? I'm fairly certain I would need a couple of cocktails for that. Gah!

I can understand your concerns. I certainly do not want to place any undue stress on Gerry. I think there are some who are feeling bad about it now that it has been pointed out to them...repeatedly.

Something to consider. Too much criticism of fan encounters that have already happened are likely to result in fewer Encounter Posts. If you'd really rather not hear about it, then this is the way to go. I know if I'm ever in a similiar situation, I'll recommend people only post the "rosy" side. Some fans are too honest, huh?

I know there were a couple of fans that stepped into Gerry's space too much, but I'd like you to remember that Gerry was not constrained to stay in the lounge and talk to fans for so long, nor was he required to come TO the fans after shooting on Sunday. It was HIS idea to have group pictures taken with the fans.

My point is, I think Gerry's pleasure in seeing his fans far outweighed the negative encounters for him.

Short of all 10,000 plus Gerry Fans traveling to Vancouver, I'm sure the film company and Gerry can handle the situation. Brosnan is probably getting more of that now anyway.

Webberphan

Guest greyeyegoddess

Thanks Webberfan, I know you were there and it makes it easier to understand from someone who was there, than just reading the experiences. I am afraid that if we worry so much, people won't share their experiences. I don't think I really posted my experience...I just put videos up. When someone asks, I share it with them.

Again, I think we do need courtesy and manner reminders BEFORE we get there, not after the fact. I'm sure the fans that posted the things that are making us talk are feeling really bad about the things they shared. Many of us don't know how to act around celebrities. I'm still not sure, and I've met quite a few.

Internet is a strange world and things can be misconstrued...which is why I'm always apologizing!

~alice

My point is, I think Gerry's pleasure in seeing his fans far outweighed the negative encounters for him.

Short of all 10,000 plus Gerry Fans traveling to Vancouver, I'm sure the film company and Gerry can handle the situation. Brosnan is probably getting more of that now anyway.

Webberphan

I am very glad to hear this from someone who was there. Your perspective offers those of us who were not, with only the posted encounters to go by, a more balanced perspective. Thank you for sharing. It is obvious that Gerry derives much pleasure from the support his fans give him. I certainly hope that relationship can continue.

Swan

Something to consider. Too much criticism of fan encounters that have already happened are likely to result in fewer Encounter Posts. If you'd really rather not hear about it, then this is the way to go. I know if I'm ever in a similiar situation, I'll recommend people only post the "rosy" side. Some fans are too honest, huh?

Honestly, that's too bad, but if that's the case, yes, I would rather not read about it. If it's a story where Gerard is obviously feeling stressed or badgered... yep, I'd rather not read about it. I'd prefer it never happen at all, but that's impossible.

I know there were a couple of fans that stepped into Gerry's space too much, but I'd like you to remember that Gerry was not constrained to stay in the lounge and talk to fans for so long, nor was he required to come TO the fans after shooting on Sunday. It was HIS idea to have group pictures taken with the fans.

Hey, that's cool! And it's also not what people are worried about. At least not me. :)

For now...

Again... for now.

Webberphan

Thank you Swan, but I did post an encounter myself. One of the longer ones too ::D:

I hope it explains better why I think Gerry was happy to have us there.

I totally agree with you, greyeyedgoddess.

Reminders of courtesy before these things happen is a very good thing.

Oh I read yours sweetie.... and I giggled, because you responded the same way I think I might. I would be very shy around him I am sure. I enjoyed your account very much... it is actually not the weekend accounts that bothered me, but the ones posted later. Anyhow, discussion is good, but I would like to move beyond discussion of individual accounts, because I am not trying to judge others.

I just want Gerry's future encounters with fans to be lovely and positive for him.

Swan

This is a very good discussion we have going here.

I'm glad to see everyone has been respectful to each other's comments.

There have been a ton of good points made in this thread.

I understand the overwhelming phenomenon to meet him that comes over us when we are

near him or in the same state for that matter. lol

But, I too, believe when Gerry's working he shouldn't be approached.

Some people if you may are bolder, have more nerve or just don't realize that

they may be infringing on his good nature.

Whatever it is...I feel he deserves our utmost respect in any or all situations.