Gerard Butler GALS

'Phantom' changes Vegas schedule

'Phantom' changes Vegas schedule

RYAN NAKASHIMA

Associated Press

Posted on Fri, Aug. 25, 2006

LAS VEGAS - Because of lagging ticket sales at certain performances, the producers of "Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular" are scaling back late-night shows and starting remaining weekend productions one hour earlier.

The 1,800-seat, $40 million theater that opened to rave reviews in June has been more than a quarter empty for its 10 p.m. show during much of August. Producers are trimming the number of 10 p.m. weekday performances from four to two and bumping the Saturday schedule to 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., instead of 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Some Sunday shows will start at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., instead of 7 p.m.

Executive Producer Scott Zeiger of BASE Entertainment, which co-produces the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, said the late showing suffered from perceptions of "Phantom" as "mentally challenging" when other, lighter entertainment options beckoned on the Strip.

"There is this perception that if you go and see a show at 10 o'clock, you're going to have to sit in your seat, pay attention, focus on the story, listen to the lyrics," Zeiger said. "There's a lot of competition late at night. People like to eat dinner later ... and people love to go clubbing."

He said, however, that August was a traditionally slow month.

David Kirvin, a spokesman for the show, said Friday that there still will be 10 shows per week.

"Nothing's been cut, it's just been shifted," he said.

Zeiger said that with more than 1,200 tickets sold for each performance, at prices from $75 to $150, the 95-minute Las Vegas version of "The Phantom of the Opera" grossed more than double its longer Broadway counterpart, and 50 percent better than its touring cousin.

"'Phantom' is an enormous success in Las Vegas," Zeiger said. "We're just trying to do a little bit of 'yield' management. And I'm cautiously optimistic that we're moving in the right direction."

The New York edition of "The Phantom of the Opera" is the longest running show in Broadway history. And it is still going strong, last week grossing more than $830,000 and playing to 96 percent capacity at the Majestic Theatre. The musical is also still running in London.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment...es/15362217.htm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave it to a Nilly GAL to not mind missing "chippies" for Phanty. . . .on second thought, maybe we can get phanty to make an appearance as a chippie :cunning:

:lol: well. . .iust a thought

I intend to find a way to do both Chips and Phantom, if it means staying another day I will. I wonder if there will be a way to purchase group tickets if there are enough of us who want to go? If needed I would be willing to spearhead that effort and find out about it from the box office. I'm not sure how far in advance they are selling tickets, originally it was only 90 days.

Susan, how about a Sunday performance, since Chips is on Thursday, and Friday and Saturday are both taken with Convention activities?

I would love to see the show, and Nathan has NEVER seen Phantom live!

Swan

Edited by Swansong

I too was thinking Sunday would be an ideal time to see it. We'll have to discuss early or later show. Some might want an early show with dinner after (or off to bed if too tired from the nights before). Why don't we have people who would like to go post their preference here and we'll see what works for most.

Susan

I would prefer earlier, since I will prolly fly out early monday. That would allow time for packing and winding down Sunday night... and perhaps another chance to hang with the GALS in the hospitality suite.

Swan

Sunday afternoon sounds really good for our group who are hoping to get on the list in September. There will be 4 of us for the POTO show.

I will check here for further info. We are really excited about the

entire GALS experience.

It's too early to figure out times for me, but I'm willing to go if I can get the extra day off. I left early Sunday last time lets see if I could stay an extra day.

Cassie

I want to do Phantom with all the rest of you (now that sounds a little kinky). Though I had sort of thought I'd fly home on Sunday, to be back for work on Monday. Oh, who wants to work on Monday anyway? Ok, count me and Connie in for the POTO performance on Sunday, the early one will be great.

Susan, were you going to call to see if we can reserve a block of seats together?

Yes, I'm going to call to find out how far in advance a block of tickets can be booked for a group showing. I really don't know how many people we will have, and I don't know how far out they are booking. I'll try calling them tommorow to ask.

I would love to go too!!!!! I have seen Phantom live once, this past June, for my birthday! It was amazing!! To hear MOTN live is awesome and the last scene...well, just bring some kleenex!!! :cry:

Edited by Marissa28

Yes, I'm going to call to find out how far in advance a block of tickets can be booked for a group showing. I really don't know how many people we will have, and I don't know how far out they are booking. I'll try calling them tommorow to ask.

Hey Sporran,

Please count Mark and me for now (although it may end up just being me). We're going to LV this weekend and have tickets for Monday's show. I can't wait! :erikrose: :reddeathsword: :mopboyerik: :erikicon: September 15th can't come soon enough for me to register for the convention. Thanks alot for "spearheading" this ... (hmmmm... thoughts of Gerry just popped into my mind :kisswink: )

:hugs:

~Sweetheart Angel~

I already count 20 who definitely want to attend on Sunday, and Celine and Cassie if they can, which would be 22. I'm sure once actual registration is open and handled we will have an even larger number, plus there are LOTS of the GALS who haven't even said yay or nay on this yet including the rest of the Mod Squad and Admins. I bet we could easily get 40 to 50 in a group. I've emailed their group sales department to find out how soon tickets will go on sale for next June.